• PG-13, 1 hr. 35 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The First Time Reviews

Cynthia S

April 22, 2013
Very sweet movie, and one of the more realistic portrayals of young love I've ever seen on screen. It's not a movie where a lot happens, but the characters actions actually make sense...unlike most teen movies. Definitely chick flicky, but I get in the mood for those every now and then.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

March 15, 2013
The First Time is an honest look at teenagers falling in love and having sex for the first time. The awkward before and after. I really liked the two leads. I thought their performances were cute and genuine. For those who had their "first time" as a teen will probably be able to relate to this film. Well I guess firsts times are awkward no matter what age you are. I'm usually not a fan of most romantic comedies. But I like this one. Aubrey reminds me of myself at that age. So the film was relatable for me. The movie is charming and funny. It's not the typical dumb teenage flick that are so often made. This one is well written and directed. I would see this again.

August 22, 2014
In "The First Time," Dave(Dylan O'Brien) is working up the nerve to tell his friend Jane(Victoria Justice) his true feelings about her when he meets Aubrey(Britt Robertson) outside of a party. As they are getting to know each other, they are rudely interrupted by the police who show up to break up the party. Finding shelter at Aubrey's home, they fall asleep in her bedroom before Dave spills wine on her carpet in his hurried attempt to escape out of her second floor window the following morning. In the confusion, he does not get her phone number but rectifies that soon enough, as he arranges to meet Aubrey and her boyfriend Ronny(James Frecheville) at a local multiplex.

Starting with its ambitious and extended theatrical opening sequence, "The First Time" gets right the awkwardness of teenagers in all of its glory, expressed well by its likable cast. Plus, the vinyl is a nice touch.(And if there is not a band called "The Joan Cusack Experience," then there definitely should be.) But as many details as the movie gets right, others don't ring as true.(If in doubt, always go for the Almodovar movie, by the way.) Namely, the fact that Ronny is a few years older than Aubrey should be a matter of concern to someone.
toobaahmad98
June 1, 2013
It is a another typical high school related movie; however, it had its moments where it was too cute to handle.
July 27, 2013
Typical teen "coming of age" movie. However, it was mildly entertaining, enjoyable and funny, Worth a watch.
Something I would not watch a second time.
PessimisticPineapple
July 16, 2013
There is much to like about The First Time, but some of it comes off as pretentious and forced. Britt Robertson's performance as Aubrey Miller just doesn't seem to fit or flow with the other characters. On the other hand the rest of the cast does fit quite well with the film and makes it enjoyable.
Hamee
April 2, 2013
This should have been a ridiculous movie with a tired plot, but the cast was absolutely amazing. They were the best part of this angsty teen flick and they kept you entertained all the way to the end.
March 13, 2013
Well what a great movie about 2 teenagers falling in love for the first time! The girl tries to do everything to be different than other girls and act more mature than other girls her age! I am amazed that this movie got a way with a pg13 rating! It's a funny, dramatic, ironic, and romantic story!
cappieforpresident
October 2, 2012
I couldn't possibly dislike it, when Dylan O'Brien is in it. So no, I liked it. Sadly not all that brilliant, but it was alright.
Noemie R.
August 24, 2014
What looks like a banal teen movie in the first place is actually a surprisingly quite realistic movie, with the likable Dylan O'Brian in the main role, the first one since he started playing in 'Teen Wolf'. He confirms his enormous humouristic potential, and has a promising career ahead of him, that's for sure.

August 22, 2014

LauraLives
June 14, 2014
With phenomenal performances by the two leads, this talky film is surprisingly not horrible, instead it's tender, charming and almost real.
March 21, 2013
Though the characters are overly attractive and it has the several unavoidable trappings that come with rom coms, the dialogue between the two leads feels surprisingly natural.
January 28, 2014
an awkward tale of two highs school teenagers finding companionship in place they least look. Flow of the movie was not constant and some scenes seemed pointless but over all shows a true and ironic depiction of were two normal strong hearted teenagers struggles lie and how they find reassurance in each other.
Guillermo
December 30, 2013
La simpleza de la actuacion y naturalidad de la historia, hacen que sea una muy buena pelicula. nuevamente no caer en excesos es bueno en algunas peliculas
December 26, 2013
This movie has a multitude of deep-rooted meanings of relationship, love, life, and chance. It teaches you the lessons of taking a leap of faith and holding on to the string of last hope...
December 15, 2013
When you go to a movie, there is two absolute purposes you want fulfilled. You want to be entertained and you want to fall in love with the character(s). The First Time accomplishes just that. With its satirical approach to the high school obsession of sex and losing one's virginity, this movie gives the audience a humorous, yet intellectual insight to what the modern day teenager faces. The First Time combines the open-mindedness of Today with the old fashioned ideals like chivalry and romance.
December 11, 2013
Good film, funny and has BR in. all round 10/10
December 5, 2013
Though Dylan is better in the internship (agreeing Nana). But still, his role in the first time kinda reminds me of Mikko, the first times we met :D #ShyShyRun I can imagine his natural popcorn smell when they hug in the ending :3
November 10, 2013
Surprising, moving romcom with people playing teens that resonated so much more with what I was feeling as a high schooler than about any other teen movie in the past few decades...wonderful. Smart, fresh dialog and great performances; very underrated on Rotten Tomatoes!