The First Time Reviews

½ March 14, 2015
Driven by the vibrant chemistry between Dylan O'brien and Brit Robertson, "The First Time" is the type of film that will only attract a certain audience, and I am happy to say that I am a part of that audience. I really enjoyed this picture. Based around two individuals whom are both dealing with feelings of another person, cross paths and become hopelessly infatuated with each other. Yes, you will probably guess exactly where the film is going by the end, but the actors make you not care about any of the cliches, and it almost makes for a completely fresh indie romance. It has just enough depth in it's script to earn multiple viewings. By the end of the film I had felt like I spent a weekend with these two characters and I admire films that are able to pull that off well. I will say that it is very basic point and shoot filmmaking, however, that is not the focus, so that aspect is easy to accept. This film is all about the build up to whether or not they will go through with their feelings and whether or not they will go all the way, but that was the least interesting aspect to me. This was a very solid film for different reasons. I won't be screaming to the skies about it, but I will definitely recommend this film. Very very enjoyable.
April 22, 2013
Very sweet movie, and one of the more realistic portrayals of young love I've ever seen on screen. It's not a movie where a lot happens, but the characters actions actually make sense...unlike most teen movies. Definitely chick flicky, but I get in the mood for those every now and then.
LWOODS04
March 15, 2013
The First Time is an honest look at teenagers falling in love and having sex for the first time. The awkward before and after. I really liked the two leads. I thought their performances were cute and genuine. For those who had their "first time" as a teen will probably be able to relate to this film. Well I guess firsts times are awkward no matter what age you are. I'm usually not a fan of most romantic comedies. But I like this one. Aubrey reminds me of myself at that age. So the film was relatable for me. The movie is charming and funny. It's not the typical dumb teenage flick that are so often made. This one is well written and directed. I would see this again.
Harlequin68
½ August 22, 2014
In "The First Time," Dave(Dylan O'Brien) is working up the nerve to tell his friend Jane(Victoria Justice) his true feelings about her when he meets Aubrey(Britt Robertson) outside of a party. As they are getting to know each other, they are rudely interrupted by the police who show up to break up the party. Finding shelter at Aubrey's home, they fall asleep in her bedroom before Dave spills wine on her carpet in his hurried attempt to escape out of her second floor window the following morning. In the confusion, he does not get her phone number but rectifies that soon enough, as he arranges to meet Aubrey and her boyfriend Ronny(James Frecheville) at a local multiplex.

Starting with its ambitious and extended theatrical opening sequence, "The First Time" gets right the awkwardness of teenagers in all of its glory, expressed well by its likable cast. Plus, the vinyl is a nice touch.(And if there is not a band called "The Joan Cusack Experience," then there definitely should be.) But as many details as the movie gets right, others don't ring as true.(If in doubt, always go for the Almodovar movie, by the way.) Namely, the fact that Ronny is a few years older than Aubrey should be a matter of concern to someone.
July 27, 2013
Typical teen "coming of age" movie. However, it was mildly entertaining, enjoyable and funny, Worth a watch.
Something I would not watch a second time.
½ July 16, 2013
There is much to like about The First Time, but some of it comes off as pretentious and forced. Britt Robertson's performance as Aubrey Miller just doesn't seem to fit or flow with the other characters. On the other hand the rest of the cast does fit quite well with the film and makes it enjoyable.
April 2, 2013
This should have been a ridiculous movie with a tired plot, but the cast was absolutely amazing. They were the best part of this angsty teen flick and they kept you entertained all the way to the end.
March 13, 2013
Well what a great movie about 2 teenagers falling in love for the first time! The girl tries to do everything to be different than other girls and act more mature than other girls her age! I am amazed that this movie got a way with a pg13 rating! It's a funny, dramatic, ironic, and romantic story!
October 2, 2012
I couldn't possibly dislike it, when Dylan O'Brien is in it. So no, I liked it. Sadly not all that brilliant, but it was alright.
March 31, 2015
Cute and everything but the script is very superficial and basically nothing big happens. Ok, two teens have sex after two days since they met and...? No interesting exploration about that on screen, I just felt empty. Robertson and O'Brien are great together and share some amazing scenes and this helps a lot. It just doesn't help the poorly developed story of the film.
½ March 14, 2015
½ November 23, 2014
The leads are solid, and the story, while cliched, is well done.
½ December 29, 2014
This film brought back so many moments from my teenage years. I appreciate that there is no gratuitous naked scenes and the awkwardness came across as genuine. Teenagers are full of drama and expectations about their world, so I think that the film did a great job of that and also gave enough information about the characters to make it endearing.
½ December 4, 2014
Another film made by Dylan O'Brien. It's a pitty that Robertson can't really range with her emotions.
November 4, 2014
Boring as boring can get. The writing is poorly written and there are no connections to the characters. Waste of my time.
September 17, 2014
The First Time is like a mix of Before Sunrise, Jay and Silent Bob, and Dawson's Creek. Still, Dylan O'Brien and Britt Robertson make it just charming enough.
September 10, 2014
Like cast with an okay movie.
August 24, 2014
What looks like a banal teen movie in the first place is actually a surprisingly quite realistic movie, with the likable Dylan O'Brian in the main role, the first one since he started playing in 'Teen Wolf'. He confirms his enormous humouristic potential, and has a promising career ahead of him, that's for sure.
Harlequin68
½ August 22, 2014

June 14, 2014
With phenomenal performances by the two leads, this talky film is surprisingly not horrible, instead it's tender, charming and almost real.