• R, 2 hr. 4 min.

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

The Five-Year Engagement Reviews

Carlos M

May 8, 2014
Like Stoller's previous movies, this perceptive romantic comedy is less about the laughs (they are there, only timidly) than actually offering a keen and complex look into modern relationships, and it could have been even better if not for a long middle act, uneven in tone and pacing.
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

March 23, 2012
Another rom-com? Well, this one is quite unique for its originality even though the story is quite usual.. A couple get together, decide to marry.. And then someone's dream come but the others gave up their dream and so it goes until their breakup.. But the must funny thing is the ending which I like for surprising, and the choice of Jason Segel and Emily Blunt to lead this movie is quite a good choice..
Julie B

June 28, 2013
Best thing about this was seeing my former home and current home all looking mighty purty. Oh, and the falling down on the ice stuff.
Anthony L

June 27, 2013
Having had a rather long engagement myself I can justifiably say that they got it right with this film. There was no awkward and unnecessary gross-out scenes, not silly animal scenes, no unnecessary slap-stick scenes and most of all, thankfully no ad-libbing. Nicholas Stoller is a good writer and the two leads, Jason Segel and Emily Blunt are both perfect in their roles, both believable and both brilliant. I don't get all the hate for this film, people seems to prefer Friends with kids, Grown Ups and What to Expect When You're Expecting to this film which I find astonishing. It's not perfect but it's sweet, believable, original and funny.
Stuart B

June 19, 2013
Really enjoyable rom-com
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

April 27, 2012
An average romcom , its a watchable comedy with a few laughs. Blunt is enjoyable, Siegel is average!
Cynthia S

September 12, 2012
Well..this movie sweet, and funny at times. Gangbusters beginning, and adorable ending, but unfortunately the middle lost the spark. Not at all a bad film, just could have been better.....
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

November 5, 2012
this was a frustrating film. the actors were great and i loved seeing alison brie, but the first half of the film was so good, and the last half nearly unwatchable. the "falling out" sequence really derailed the entire film. it lost its humor and made the end awkward and less satisfying. the first half made me laugh enough so as not to hate the film.
Nicki M

May 7, 2012
Enjoyable. Some laugh out loud moments, but mostly just a nice movie about a relationship that has gone off track. Loved the cast, the sister was hilarious. Much better than I expected.
Spencer S

December 10, 2011
There was very little comedy in this romantic foil from producer Judd Apatow and director Nicolas Stoller (Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Get Him to the Greek). Both have worked with Segel before, and both have tried to create humor out of the ordinary lives of real people. This was obviously supposed to have a lot of heart and be grounded in real life and love, but I got very little of that from this. The characters are always very awkward and when the trouble begins, very early in the film, it makes the characters unlikable and especially exasperating. We don't get a good enough feel for the characters to have them descend into depression at the very start of the film. Most of the funny moments are sight gags, which are all thrown in from the trailer. It's in no way heartfelt, whimsical, or tragic. It's simply somber all the way through, with deranged characters and a lifeless plot. What should have happened is that they kept running into roadblocks, and there was a lot of interesting and calamitous results from it. Instead it's just a couple of people who can't seem to communicate with each other. The setting is maudlin, the supporting cast is a bunch of two dimensional wimps, and even when they try to be odd or strange it feels so forced and offensive that I can't get into it. It deals with a very serious issue, and when satirical or slapstick elements are introduced, it's tactless at best. I am actually really angry and bitter about my viewing experience, because through all the sad sack scenes, I feel nothing for the characters. They are ill defined, whining people who don't have much to make them special except their careers and their docile lives. It was so gun ho in the beginning; I had to laugh at some of it. Then it becomes dangerously sallow until a great montage scene with Segel and Dakota Johnson that simply blew me away. It didn't even possess the decency to end with a true happily ever after, though we sat through the entire two hour affair (far too long for a romantic comedy) for that pleasure. It drags throughout and has little staying power. Truly one of the bigger disappointments for me this year.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

September 12, 2012
"This is supposed to be exciting. It's your wedding - you only get a few of these!"

One year after meeting, Tom proposes to his girlfriend, Violet, but unexpected events keep tripping them up as they look to walk down the aisle together.

REVIEW
Tom (Jason Segel) is a chef in San Francisco and Violet (Emily Blunt) is some sort of post-graduate academic in psychology: they are deeply in love, and on the point of getting engaged. Tom's career is doing well and Emily is looking for a local teaching post at Berkeley. However, just as they get engaged, Emily is turned down locally but is instead offered a post in Michigan. So they move to Michigan where Tom gets a job making sandwiches and hates it, and Emily gets on famously - not least because Professor Winton Childs (Rhys Ifans) fancies her. Inevitably, this friction drives them apart, yet they still love each other.

This film has two strengths. One is that all the characters are quite good fun to be with. Even Tom's co-chef Alex (Chris Pratt), the graceless, crass, indiscreet character, is quite a nice guy and doesn't come across with the obnoxiousness which would have been there in an early Jonah Hill performance, for instance. And the other strength is that the central section, where Tom and Violet are moving towards splitting up and then do so, is unhappy and real. As a comedy, this has a fair number of chuckles and enjoyable performances (with Alison Brie as Violet's sister Suzie having some very funny bits of business), and a reasonable heart to it. It is perhaps overlong.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

March 30, 2012
"I really did enjoy the movie. I love Emily's acting, whether it be comedies or drama's. Jason is always a fun character that makes me laugh. The movie dragged a bit for me. I thought it was about thirty minutes longer then it needed to be. But it's a charming rom-com that brings the laughs and has likeable characters. If you enjoy romantic comedies you will definitely like this movie."
KJ P

April 26, 2012
This is a very, very smart romantic comedy, but the odd places that this film goes to, is very weird and seems a bit imperfect. Not to say this film is perfect (because it's not), but I highly enjoyed it when it didn't put me in a depressed mood. The film is also very clever at using metaphors (such as "old donuts" and "cookies") to let the audience know the emotions of the characters. After a five year engagement, nothing is going right and the sadness of the film ensues. The second half of the film is not as good at the first half, but I believe the first half to be terrific, so take from that what you will. "The Five-Year Engagement" doesn't always know what it is trying to accomplish, but it's heart and soul is always present and I admire it very much for that alone!
axadntpron
axadntpron

September 5, 2012
Somewhere deep down, deep deep down, there is a good film here. The first 30 minutes in fact had me very much hooked. It seemed to be a good honest look at a relationship and the sacrifices one must make in order to procure a better future. The actors seemed to be on point and the writing was rather touching. However, as the film went on it became clear that the editor had an aneurism during post-production.
There were a countless number of scenes that left me wondering why they made it into the final cut. They did not help the viewer better understand the characters, they did not augment the overall narrative, or even at least serve up some decent laughs.
Also, it seemed as though that there were 5 writers who were really interested in probing a relationship, but 1 who just wanted to focus on juvenile humor. I have nothing against juvenile humor, but in a film that seemed to want to offer so much more it just felt pointless.
If they had fired that 1 writer and would have shaved off 50 minutes from the final cut, then I think we could have a fantastic film on our hands. Instead, fittingly for a romantic comedy, we are left only with what could have been.
Daniel P

August 30, 2012
This was a film with a lot of big laughs, and another one of those honest Jason Segel bromantic comedies - rom-coms, only the men are allowed emotions - but it wasn't his best work. I think the ending was just too cheesy, especially given how much they'd gone through to get there. Too long for what it is, but touching in places, and I'll say it again, downright hilarious by times. Mmmmeh.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

August 18, 2012
A comedy about the journey between popping the question and tying the knot.

Good movie! Enjoyable funny movie that portrayed the modern day conflict of a couple with two careers. Who gives up what and why and how willing are they to accept the true full meaning of the compromise. Several good points are made and good analogies used. Humor aside, the movie did seem to have a good message. It showed the problems sometimes couples face with relationships, and there are also some simple twists in there that keep the plot rolling. All in all, the movie is fun, will make you laugh, and is probably worth seeing.

Exactly one year after Tom Solomon meets Violet Barnes, he surprises her with a ring. By all accounts, Tom and Violet are destined for their happily ever after. However, this engaged couple just keep getting tripped up on the long walk down the aisle.
Everett J

August 18, 2012
The title of this movie tells you everything you need to know. It's about a couple(Jason Segal and Emily Blunt) and their 5 year trip down the aisle to get married, and everything that goes wrong in between. It's got a lot of very funny moments and the performances are very good. Segal and Blunt have great chemistry, and I'd say this is Blunt's best movie since "Devil Wears Prada". I love Segal in just about anything, the guy has an "it" factor about him that doesn't come along very often. There is one big downfall to this movie, it is way too long. Just over hours long you feel like your with them for the full 5 years. So much could have been cut out, and it would still have been good, maybe even better. It tries to be like "40-Year Old Virgin" or "Wedding Crashers", but this one loses steam midway through. It still has a lot more hits on the comedy side than misses, it just takes forever to get through. Definitely worth a watch, just do your best to stick with it to the end.
Liam G

February 8, 2012
There are problems galore in ''The Five-Year Engagement'', from the pacing to the overuse of some of the supporting characters, but thanks to some great writing and Segel and Blunt's superb chemistry, the film is a very charming romantic comedy.
Alice S

June 8, 2012
Jason Segel really loves dropping trou. The trailers were charming, but this movie lacks any believable conflict. Violet and Tom are so in love and perfect for each other that when Tom's jobless ennui starts creeping in, it's a wonder why they couldn't work it out or why he couldn't just get a freakin' job. The supporting characters weren't that interesting, and the gags were overlong (Sesame Street voices, Alex's wedding song, Segel's dropped trou).