The Forger Reviews

Bathsheba Monk
October 3, 2012
I have a high interest in the subject of art forgery....always wondered what it would be like to have great skill used in the service of someone else's vision, but I honestly couldn't stick with this movie long enough to find out.
July 5, 2012
Josh Hutcherson did a great job in The Hunger Game and I curious to see what he was doing. Unfortunately the experience feels like a bad Lifetime TV movie.

The Forger is about a teenager wanders into Carmel, California, where he is soon introduced to the art-forgery community. The main problem with this movie is the lack of conflict for our main character. It doesn't matter that he's homeless, beat up his girlfriend cousin, or is being used everything is worked for him without lifting a finger. The plot lacks any real focus being all over the place never telling a good story. Hutcherson character over reacts to everything, like when he sees a teacher taking Panettiere to class and telling her to get to class results in him getting punched. The characters are poorly written and idiotic, Pantettiere brother seems to be cool with Hutcherson punching him twice and dating his sister despite only sharing one scene before they did. It poorly written, but it harmless and will satisfy anyone would doesn't want compelling characters and a good plot.

The cast acting is bad and bland. Everybody stays to the script, it simply feels like everybody was in it just for the pay check. No one does a good job in the acting department, but they never get your nerves and are likable at least. The film has a nice scenery and artwork to show off, though they don't add the movie. This will probably appeal to teens more, as long as they don't expect much from the experience.

The Forger has all the quality of a bad TV movie that'll likely appeal more to teens with low expectations. Your best chance is to simply watch something else.
September 23, 2012
Absolutely gorgeous cinematography, great acting, and decent plot... however, the script is so problematic with so many bizarre moments that would never happen in real life... that I had to suspend my belief during many moments. When I watch films, I like to lose myself in the story and forget reality for two hours. Due to the lack of believability, I was reminded constantly like a smack in the face that this is just a fictional movie. There is a reason this was a straight to DVD release.
February 21, 2014
I had a difficult time believing Hutcherson as a 15 year old with painting skills enough to mimic classic painters to the point of fooling experts. The acting is not a problem; Bacall seemed to struggle to keep up with her role. The story is told in a subdued or restrained manner. It comes together too slowly and parts of it begin and end going nowhere. I was bored through chunks of it.
December 25, 2012
This had a lot of potential, but the story was not well developed and the characters were weak. I did like the watercolor depictions at the end of the movie.
August 8, 2012
Not that bad! A guy who can copy other's art paintings! Not bad, but not that good of a movie! It's okay!
September 8, 2015
Had the potential to be an interesting story but something was off. I'm guessing this is meant for Josh Hutcherson fans. At least i enjoyed Lauren Bacall
½ July 24, 2015
While its plot indeed held promise, The Forger lacks any thrills, even mediocre ones to keep viewers anything but bored.
January 26, 2015
Dull. As another reviewer said, this is exactly like a Lifetime TV movie.
½ May 26, 2014
Disappointing is the word to describe this film. This film has a cast of recognised actors, Unfortunately they are let down by a plodding script and very poor production and directing.

The acting isn't completely terrible, Josh Hutcherson is his usual self, though he is good at representing his characters combustible nature. Hayden Panettiere is woefully underused and underwritten, Alfred Molina and Lauren Bacall are on autopilot. Rounding up the cast is Billy Boyd, while Tricia Helfer makes a small cameo.

I will say that the scenes in which a masterpiece is recreated as a forgery is actually quite interesting and well researched, it seem like the only the director actually managed to get right. Making it worthy of an extra half star rating.,

A film for the fans of the cast, which is incidentally why I sought it out, otherwise one to avoid.
February 23, 2014
Without exaggerating, this could quite possibly be the best movie I have ever seen. Joshua, a 16 year old boy abandoned by his mother and left homeless, must struggle to survive. His talent for art is his saving grace. Without going overboard into "wholesome" territory, The Forger tackles some heavy themes such as integrity and how to treat women. This is one of those films that can be enjoyed by adults, yet could also be shown to a youth group. It's that good. And yes, Josh Hutcherson is amazing. He shows off his acting chops in his portrayal of a confused teenage boy. Oh, and one funny thing...I watched the whole movie without realizing Lauren Bacall was in it (head smack)! I should have known by her voice. Definitely put The Forger as #1 in your Netflix queue.
January 11, 2014
Josh Hutcherson is great in this.
November 6, 2013
good movie , felt like old time movie watchings ..
November 1, 2013
The Forger (2012) is a small budget thriller that rarely thrills and never threatens to be anything remotely close to good. Apart from Lauren Bacall, I couldn't say one actor looked remotely interested in acting, with Alfred Molina & Hayden Panettiere putting in particularly sloppy performances.
½ April 21, 2013
I love movies and I love art. This is the first movie I've seen on forgery in the art world. Could have had a better plot. But I enjoyed this movie alot.
March 6, 2013
Occasionally when I decide to watch a movie with bad reviews, I'm pleasantly surprised by a delightful film I never would have seen if I had listened to other people's opinions. But this film was not such an experience. The scenes of the California coast were beautiful and the end credits were nice, but otherwise it very mediocre despite Lauren Bacall and Alfred Molina. Oh well, you win some and you lose some and this was a loser.
January 24, 2013
This movie has plot holes so big you could drive trucks through them! What a stinket!
January 25, 2013
Every time he had his hysterical's attacks, I wanted to shot my Computer (where I was watching it).
November 11, 2012
I liked this movie very much. I thought Josh Hutcherson was great and really enjoyed his performance.
October 14, 2012
i can't say i hated this film but i can't say i loved it much either. I thought of giving this film a look because i did enjoy Josh's other film The Hunger Games and Hayden's other film ( believe it or not) I love you beth cooper. But man this film has some magger problems and some magger good things. Lets start with the good things which includes casting,acting,and well lets just do those 2 because actually i don't think there was anything else about this movie that i liked or i'd have given this film 5 stars or 4 or 3 stars but i didn't. Ok lets begin with the casting. Ok i did enjoy the casting of Josh Hutcherson he was a perfect choice in the lead a star choice he perfectly showed how a troubled homeless person would act and be well sorta and i really liked the casting of Lauren Bacall and Alfred Molina they were perfect in each of their roles perfect . The acting is good actually considering this film has a feel of a made for television movie . I expected this film to have good acting because of Hayden , but Josh was a wild card in some of his movies he had good acting in others not so good acting but this time around he had... Good acting and it helped gain another star but where theres good news theirs bad news. The screen - play , made for television value , love story , story , those are the bad things. The screen - play is very chessy and poor it truly is sadly none of the actors can help it its just poor really poor. This film is well very low budget as you can see which gives it a made for television look and feel and the feel is not good not good at all just lame. The love story between Josh and Hayden is weak and at many times awkward prone it just is not good the director just can't write a good love story and Hayden was probably feeling sick because she did not help the love story and as for Josh on the love story he sunk it he really did . The love story was an on and off type thing on then off for a long time then on then off for another long time. The overrall story is pretty bad too. Its so on original and boring and really its not a drama at all is a well a it that can't find a true subject or story thats good enouge for itself. All an All this film is a bit everywhere more so bad then good but i did kinda enjoy it anyway. D+