20% Transcendence Apr 18

100% Orphan Black: Season 2

The Frankenstein Theory Reviews

Shawn M

April 13, 2014
a total blair witch remake done with frankenstein, almost the entire plot is identical, all tho it was done decent, it wasn't as spooky and crazy as I was hoping it would be. Honestly wouldn't have given this movie a chance if Lemche wasnt in the cast, but yeah, cool. cool cool.
April 12, 2014
It's like they watched The Blair Witch Project and went "we could do that but better" and they did. I liked it.
Nukleopatra
April 2, 2014
Why do awful movies always kill off the best character first?
Dann M

March 6, 2014
Shot in a documentary style, The Frankenstein Theory puts forth a fascinating idea about the truth behind the classic Frankenstein story. After being drummed out of the academic community, Dr. Jonathan Venkenhein hires a film crew to follow his expedition into the Canadian tundra in search of a creature that he believes to be the source of the Frankenstein legend. Unfortunately, the acting isn't particularly good and the story structure is weak. The Frankenstein Theory starts out rather promising, but before long it loses its momentum and falls into bad horror movie cliches.
November 10, 2013
The worst Frankenstein film ever made. Period. People keep bashing I, Frankenstein but this one is the actual insult to Mary Shelley.
Nicolas O.
January 13, 2014
Maybe one of the worst found footage movies I've ever seen and that's saying quite a bit. The worst part about it is how boring it is, there really are only a couple of tense moments and looking back at the run time shocked me because this movie feels like it's hours long. The actors aren't the worst when it comes to these kinds of movies but the characters are just completely flat and really unidentifiable. I can't really think of a way to describe any of them without just saying what part they played and even then it really boils down to "The scientist" "The woman" and "The rest." It's really not even a concept that sounds like an hour and a half long movie and comes to a close with one of the worst endings that I can currently think of.
January 5, 2014
pretty good, but somewhat predictable. would have rated higher if the monster had more than a caveman mentality,,
December 13, 2013
One line summary: Fantasy of finding the original Frankenstein's monster alive today.

--------------------------

The film starts within an interview of a documentary team of Dr Venkenhein (Ghost Busters joke?), who has various degrees in history and in chemistry. Jonathan's primary thesis was that Mary Shelley's Frankenstein was not fiction. He's putting together an expedition to Canada to attempt to prove his thesis.

In the next segment, the film crew talks about how stupid they think the project is, but that Jonathan is paying for the whole project. Officially, they will be respectful. Sure they will. Throw in a bit of distracted driving (caused by the found film approach), with a near vehicular homicide, and the viewer is setup to watch a home movie where the camera crew thinks the subject is a fool. Great start in a mere seven minutes.

Jonathan thinks his 5 x great grandfather was the model for Dr Frankenstein, and also the founder of modern genetics, 50 years ahead of Mendel. Since the monster was not well-received at the time, most of the artifacts and papers related to the monster's creation were destroyed. Jonathan aims to prove his hypothesis by finding the monster in current times still alive, and to bring back proof of its condition.

Jonathan's girlfriend thinks this theory is bovine scatology, as does Jonathan's university, from which he is suspended, much to his great embarrassment. The girlfriend thinks the expedition is a grand waste of money that will not end well.

The first part of the trip starts in the dark one morning. After two airplane flights, the crew (Vicky, Eric, Luke, Brian) and Jonathan land in Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. They hire a local SUV to continue from Whitehorse. It's brutally cold. From Whitehorse they will drive to Deline in the Northwest Territories. Before they leave the Yukon, they meet with Clarence Malusky, who claims to have had an encounter with the Frankenstein monster. Clarence apparently did encounter the monster, and does identify a sketch from 1802. However, Clarence is a meth head who clearly has some personality issues. They make it out alive at least.

They make it to Deline uneventfully. Jonathan arranges for provisions, such as food and snowmobiles. Further into the Northwest Territories, Jonathan discusses his ancestor Johann using recombinant DNA methods to incorporate the longevity of certain species into the monster.

By Day 4, they reach a yurt (hunter's lodge, quite small), deep in NWT. Jonathan has tracked unexplained homicides in the area where they are to months of the year. He figures the monster committed these killings. He concludes the killings follow a migratory pattern. That night, one of their snowmobiles is stolen by someone. The next day, Karl tracks the snowmobile on foot to avoid alerting the thief. After four hours, Luke and Eric follow on the remaining snowmobile. Looks likes a bad choice. They find blood, then Karl's rifle, then Karl. They return, and the panic level rises.

Will the remaining party find the Frankenstein monster? Will any of them return to their homes?

----------Scores----------

Cinematography: 4/10 Found film approach.

Sound: 8/10 Mostly good.

Acting: 8/10 Timothy V. Murphy was rather good. Kris Lemche and Heather Stephens are also veterans and gave competent performances.

Screenplay: 5/10 Too many cliches. The self-destructive scientist. Insufficient preparation for a difficult expedition. Thinking the wild creature will respond to kind words in the wrong language. Getting killed one by one. Found film. Discover the search object, but cannot prove it (like the entire X-files series).
November 15, 2013
The biggest flaw of so many found footage movies I've seen is that no one can seem to write a decent ending to any of them.
November 2, 2013
A decent premise...sort of. But really slow with a couple of shock gags thrown in that are completely unrelated. Then you have a scene with Karl like in Jaws with the old man talking about the USS Indianapolis. And JUST like in Jaws you don't see the monster until almost the end of the movie...but unlike Jaws....it's really not all that impressive.
October 6, 2013
A terrible blairwitch wannabe. the best of the film is the cover. that's it. horrible. boring. not scary, not gripping, not... nothing. the worst film I've seen this year. I only regret the time spent watching it. Such a good initial idea and this is what they do with it?? believe me, do NOT spend the time. Very, very, very bad.
October 4, 2013
Took a few too many pages out of The Blair Witch Project's book, but not many of the good ones. This movie is all set up and no pay off.
September 7, 2013
Not the total disaster it seemed it was going to be after the first few minutes. Lemche's performance in the opening feels distractingly affected. He improves a little later on, but never quite enough. The rest of the cast fares better. There are also some genuinely funny, human moments. (e.g. the line about the rent.) Plus, the director seems almost certainly to be a huge Spielberg and Lucas fan as there is little doubt as to what must be homages to Jaws and The Empire Strikes Back. Those touches will likely boost the entertainment value for other such fans (of which I am one). Overall, though, various weaknesses make the setup not quite convincing or compelling. On top of that, a concept that seems rich with thematic possibilities (which the original Frankenstein is) feels wasted on its preference for attempted "Blair Witch" thrills.
September 3, 2013
Was this made as a joke? Or do the film-makers actually wish their audiences to be THAT dull and stupid?
Way to take another step towards killing the Found Footage Horror genre...and ruining what films like "Last Exorcism", "Home Movie", and "Lovely Molly" are trying to save.
FilmGrinder S.
July 30, 2013
66%

-Frankenstein's Monster vs The Blair Witch-
I don't know about Frankenstein's monster, but I think I caught a glimps of Bigfoot. The Tweaker charicter was pretty good.
July 9, 2013
Interesting if unexciting found footage film with no monster in sight (that will turn a lot of people off given the great image on the DVD cover). Well photographed and tightly paced excursion into the alaskan hinterland in search of the Mary shelly Monster that is in fact "real". If it had a good payoff at the end, as in some meaty money shots of the beast I would have been satisfied. Instead we get some great photography of snowy landscapes and outhouse cabin structures. Not recommended...
June 27, 2013
Another low budget horror flick, not great, but I thought it was somewhat suspenseful, delightfully creepy at times and even hair-raising here and there. I look like a gorilla in a man suit, so when my hair raises, I know it.
June 22, 2013
Another fond footage film... Had some nice depth and suspense. Entertaining for a late night fright flick.
June 18, 2013
8/10 - I love FF/Mocks and this was really cool. It was slow and had an interesting story, which is just what Docs/Mocks are supposed to do. It makes you think, "Hmmm... maybe this is possible?" I for sure recommend for fans of the genre to Check'r.