The Ghastly Love of Johnny X Reviews

October 29, 2013
Alien juvenile delinquents are exiled to earth, where they scheme to control a "resurrection suit" that can bring a recently deceased rock and roll star back from the dead. In black and white with musical numbers. The hepcat influences here are so cool you root for the movie to work, but the incoherent script, flat musical numbers and lame attempts at comedy lead to nowheresville. Still, there are a few campy kicks along the way, including "The Office"'s Creed Bratton as an unlikely rock idol.
March 18, 2013
A 50's B-movie made in the 2010's. It had its moments, but all in all I was a bit disappointed.
½ August 2, 2014
I love it when independent filmmakers do something beyond quirky comedies, dramas, or horror...when someone works for 10 years to make a 50s sci-fi B-movie inspired musical about alien juvenile delinquents who come to earth with a resurrection suit that spurts electricity and brings the dead back to life...hell I'm in. The movie isn't perfect, it has some flaws in it's execution, but it can be fun and it very different then most anything out there, from either Hollywood or Independent filmmakers.
December 21, 2013
This is a great 1950s B-Movie homage/parody. The plot holes are absolutely intentional, as is the sometimes goofy, cliche ridden dialogue. The musical bits are Grease meets Rocky Horror show tunes, not intended to be authentic to the mid century period this picture is (may be?) set in. The visual quality is warm and striking (shot on actual film) and the winks and tongue in cheek nudges are endearing. A great, fun, '50s/60s/'70s B-Movie mash up that fans of John Waters, Ed Wood, Screamin' Lord Sutch,The Cramps and Roger Corman should love. I know that I do!
September 25, 2013
The hook for The Ghastly Love of Johnny X lies in its similarities or attempted similarities with the sci-fi horrror bizarre vision of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. However, lacking in sexual charge and being way more campy than rebelliously unique, Bunnell's film ends up feeling more like a mild John Waters production, full of style but of little relevance, substance or originality. Eventually, this films ends up being tiring in its shallow ways instead of exciting and fun.
July 1, 2013
It made no sense but it was good so long as you expected nothing.
½ April 14, 2013
Strange, wacky & fun. Well worth seeking out . 80's horror fans will be pleased to see Reggie Bannister of Phantasm fame. It also features Invasion of The Body Snatcher's Kevin McCarthy in his final role.
February 24, 2013
Looks like the best of Ed Wood and Richard O'Brien, produced by Lorne Michaels.
½ January 11, 2013
Horrible mish- mosh of uncoordinated styles of retro low budget films that never mattered. This bizarre director had the notion to contrive a flamboyant out of the closet teenage alien and place him on Earth with his degenerate cohorts to prance around and cause a ruckus. That's exactly what I got out of it !!

I suggest possible employment in a dvd warehouse, a distillery or on an assembly line. Any blue collar work is more suited proper than behind a film camera.

I only hope he can pay off his wive$ credit cards for the terrible error in judgement that has been made here!
June 5, 2012
It's a unique, well done hard to categorize film that seems like it was made for midnight viewings at the kind of theaters that let you drink beer during the show. De Anna Joy Brooks is fantastic.
March 10, 2012
It is a black-and-white 50s-style B-movie teenage-rebel sci-fi musical. You either want to see it based on that or it's probably not for you. Kind of runs out of steam toward the end, but it's fun and campy enough to recommend.