The Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Girl Reviews

½ November 11, 2014
Setting aside the intricacies of the actual events that took place, this film just isn't as well constructed as its contemporary "Hitchcock." Most of what I found wanting in this film were the performances from both Jones and Miller, who come off as stiff, unyielding caricatures of Hedren and Hitchcock. Besides that I just didn't find the plot to be very suspenseful. The relationship between these two iconic figures just didn't play well onscreen. It's unsettling and mostly creepy to watch Hitchcock stumble through his yearnings for Hedren. There's supposed to be some level of warmth and comradery to their relationship, since they stick together long enough to make "The Birds" but I didn't get that at all. There's very little point to making this film, as much of it is unsubstantiated, or so subtle that it's unwatchable. I don't believe I am completely biased, I just didn't enjoy watching a relationship that didn't seem obsessive, only abusive. If Hitchcock had been better portrayed, and all his obsessions really gone into, this would have been much more sinister and reflect what the filmmakers were going for.
March 29, 2013
Good movie. True? I don't know. I have read some things stating that she may have made some, or most, of it up. Still a decent movie that I found very interesting, though. It makes complete sense to me that Alfred Hitchcock was a strange man. He had to be to develop the type of movies that he did...
jim222001us
January 5, 2013
Hitchcock is a better film but the Girl is worth checking out as well. Toby Jones makes a good Hitchcock even if he makes him seem strange and creepy. What I mostly like is the insight on the making of the Birds.
½ March 6, 2014
It tries to explore the darker side of Hitchcock but instead becomes an overdressed sexual harassment drama with awkward performances and tone that would make even the most over-the-top soap opera shake it's head in disapproval
December 19, 2013
bio-pic of sorts about hitch and his demons but casting sienna miller is a 'kiss of death' OMG is she a horrible actress
½ February 6, 2013
I've read that this movie about Hitchcock's obsessive relationship with The Birds and Marnie leading actress Tippi Hedren is historically inaccurate, or at least exaggerated. Given that some of the basis for the story comes from Hedren's personal accounts, I have to believe that it's at least loosely rooted in fact. However, "Alfie"'s spiral into near-insanity as portrayed in the movie's final chapter, to me, bordered on caricature, and is hard to buy into. Given that the rest of the film, save for a few good creepy moments -- Hitchcock throwing himself on her during a limo ride, his (implied) intentional shattering of the phone booth glass while she was inside, his 5-day marathon assault on her with real birds in the attic scene -- was actually pretty uneventful and not particularly tense, it's hard to give this movie much of a recommendation. It was interesting from a historical perspective, but average as a drama or thriller. As a Hitchcock fan, I may have enjoyed it more than I expect most would, but that's not saying a lot.
January 24, 2013
Just as good as Anthony Hopkins portrayal of the master of suspense. HBO casts Toby Jones(Harry Potter films) to follow up with his masterpiece Psycho (1960) The Birds. Hitchcock goes on a search for another blonde starlet Tippi Hedren played by sienna miller to portray Melanie Daniels. fantastic tv movie.
January 15, 2013
A most interesting theory and premise about how Alfred Hitchcock became infatuated with The Birds lead actress, Tippi Hedren becomes a bio topical TV movie that I found engaging, but under performing in the last act.
January 18, 2013
I enjoyed this made for TV movie, but it seems a bit black & white, doesn't it? According to what I saw here Tippi Hedren was this angelic selfless creature who was made to endure the whims of sex hungry Alfred Hitchcock who ruined her life, but I just have to feel like there had to be more of a gray area in there, right?

At any rate, it was interesting and got me curious to see more of their work together (Marnie has somehow eluded me), so I guess that works out well.

Rental.
½ January 17, 2013
Very well done and put together.
Great performances by the leading actors Toby Jones and Sienna Miller.
This HBO film recounts the insane relationship between Hitchcock and Hedren behind the scenes of the filming of her debut film The Birds and Marnie,
Really liked this movie.
The Girl, I give you a 70%.
January 5, 2013
An unconvincing story of Hitchcock's relationship with Tippi Hedren. Toby Jones, in an uncharacteristically weak performance, doesn't look or sound anything like Hitchcock. The movie just fails to tell a cohesive story. If want to learn more about making of "The Birds", get the DVD and watch extra features. In fact, it features a lengthy interview with Tippi who seemed to be very fond of this movie - or at least that was the impression I got.
½ August 18, 2015
Basada en testimonios de la actriz Tippi Hedren, "The Girl" busca revelar el lado oscuro del gran director Alfred Hitchcock a partir de su relación con la protagonista de "The Birds" y "Marnie". Sienna Miller interpreta a Hedren como una víctima que sufre sin mostrarnos otras facetas y Toby Jones es sorprendente encarnando a Hitchcock, pero reduciéndolo a un viejo pervertido. "The Girl" pudo haber sido una buena película si se arriesgara a tomar un tono gris y complejo sin degenerar en un melodrama sobre el acoso sexual.
½ January 20, 2015
Me pregunto si en realidad fué así. Interesante los detalles del rodaje de The Birds.
½ January 17, 2015
Toby Jones deserved an oscar for this.

-ERS
½ November 11, 2014
September 8, 2014
Don't know if this is factual but it paints Hitch in a creepy light.
August 24, 2014
Sleazy character assassination at its worst, a film based on a story that has been proven a lie many times. Avoid.
July 11, 2014
This Hitchcock Biopic About How Hitchcock Managed To Destroy Both His Own & Model Tippi Hedren's Career, Is Great Viewing But Leaves The Viewer Wandering How Much Of This Is True. This Film Follows Hitchcock As He Casts Hedren As His New Leading Lady, Which Follows The Making Of 2 Films, The Birds & Marnie. The Story Is Interesting, And Portrays A Dark Side To The World Famous Director As He Starts An Obsession With Model Tippi Hedren. This Second Film Released In 2012, About Hitchcock Is A TV Movie Which Boasts Great Performances From It's British Cast, And Showcases Excellent Direction. This Is A Must See For All Hitchcock Fans, In Which Viewers Might Question The Events But Fans Of Drama, Will Appreciate What Is Being Done Here. An Excellently Made TV Movie & One That Rivals 2012's Hitchcock.
June 30, 2014
For most of the time, it lies there, totally inert and taking its sweet time to deliver very little.
June 29, 2014
Toby Jones, Sienna Miller, and Imelda Staunton are all superlative as Hitch, Tippy Hedren, Hitch's ever loyal but heartbroken wife, Alma Reville, respectively. However, this film which supposedly is an account of Hitch's and Hedren's rocky relationship during the filming of The Birds and Marnie, may in fact be an exaggerated fabrication. Here, Hitchcock is portrayed not just as obsessive and prone to some infatuation and cruelty towards his leading ladies, but also as a shameless sexual harrasser who tries to make ever more audacious quid pro quo demands from Hedren. Putting aside to what extent any of this happened, The Girl does struggle a bit to explain why Hedren would continue to put up with Hitch for the duration of two movie productions, but remains a fairly compelling drama nonetheless thanks to top notch performances, the evocative behind-the-scenes depictions of HItch's shooting methods, period detail, and handsome (made-for-tv) production values.