Critic Review - Moviedex

After watching both the laborious 2009 Swedish version, and now Fincher's [serviceable] English language remake, I am beginning to suspect that Larsson's book just isn't very good.

January 18, 2012 Full Review Source: Moviedex | Comments (14)
Moviedex

Comments

Nick Masero

Nick Masero

Have you read the book?

Jan 19 - 02:28 PM

JoeMustChangeName

Joe MustChangenName

Of course he hasn't read it! This is a rollingstones critic, contempt prior to investigation! LabOURious swedish version? My arse was sore and twitching watching the american version. Why can't americans spell english correctly?

Jan 19 - 05:09 PM

Movie Guy

Movie Guy

In American English it's actually spelled correctly, as would color to colour and honor to honour. Why must every British person use every opportunity to declare their non-existant superiority to America?

Mar 24 - 12:00 PM

Movie Guy

Movie Guy

And he also does not right for Rolling Stone, but I suppose you're opinion is just too incredible to even require you to read the material you're commenting on, sort of like the guy you're complaining about...

Mar 24 - 12:01 PM

Barry Ferguson

Barry Ferguson

Its funny you're talking about his non-existent British superiority while proving with every other word that he IS, in fact, superior at the English language than you.

Apr 1 - 03:49 AM

Shannon Curry

Shannon Curry

I haven't seen the movie and I don't intend to - the book was positively brilliant (save the first book and a lengthy 100 pages at the beginning that detail what could really be skipped through). I don't believe anyone could really capture the trilogy - what makes it so unbelievably moving is what is written between the lines. I was very disappointed that the books made their way to the theater, although all books eventually do it seems, because I knew people would forgo the novels and settle for a convenience, believing (as you said) his books just aren't that good. This couldn't be further from the truth, and if you're not too turned off by the movies I would highly recommend you give the books a try.

Jan 20 - 02:24 PM

Ron Schmid

Ron Schmid

I saw all 3 movies and read the books(before seeing the movies!) The books are very good, even the 100 pages you did not like so much(but probably because I know Sweden, etc).
I agree you don't need to see the films, but the Swedish version was quite riveting, even though it could not possibly cover everything in the books.
Ron S

Mar 1 - 03:23 AM

Laura Whitley

Laura Whitley

As an American, I did have difficulty with the Swedish history in large chunks throughout each of the books. I first saw the Swedish movies and absolutely fell in love with Salander. In those movies she is a beautiful raw powerful character and I wish I could fight beside her. Then I read the books and understood so much more about her and all of the characters. Finally I decided to give the American 2011 version of the movie a try and was so disappointed. I highly recommend seeing the Swedish version, and in the US the DVD's have an English speaking version so you don't have to watch subtitles the whole time. (Which I didn't find out until my second time renting them. haha)

Nov 3 - 11:59 PM

Christian Conrad

Christian Conrad

you should read it

Jan 22 - 01:33 PM

Josef Papug

Josef Papug

I've read the book and seen all the films, and yes, books are OK, but not as good like eg. Le Carre or King. Both main heroes are not so close in the book - they operate like two separate actors of author's puppet show, not living people. And ending with all that money is simply absurd. So this film actually improves on the story making their fling more banal, but so more realistic.

Jan 23 - 04:06 PM

Nate Poole

Nate Poole

Hey, I have read the book, and it blows. Given the popularity of the book and now the movie, I'm beginning to wonder if I haven't drifted off into a some sort of time-traveling coma only to regain consciousness in another dimension where all humanity is devoid of literary taste . . . or maybe I just woke up in Sweden.

With all the hype over these books, driven, ironically, by the giant multi-national corporate publisher, Random House, I was nearly salivating over the prospect of reading Dragon Tattoo. Fortunately, I waited to borrow the book from a friend rather than buying it; I don't think I would have suffered the loss my hard-earned dollars well. Seriously, the book sucks! There are so many great, up-and-coming authors out there who truly deserve the kind of support the publisher and the book stores have thrown behind Dragon Tattoo. I honestly don't get it. Even the five-star reviews consistently excuse the tedious first hundred pages, the flat characters, the almost silly plot line held together by a serious of contrived, predictable yet somehow still unbelievable events. Why is everyone working so hard to like this thing?

Which brings me to the movie. I wasn‚??t going to waste any more time on this literary juggernaut, but it was part of a double feature at the drive-in, so I figured, hell, I‚??m already here . . . Zzzzzzzzzzzz. Let me just sum up with this, the story is so flawed that even a big-money film production can‚??t save it. To really even get what the hell is going on in this movie, you need to have read the book, which means you have to read the book.

Jan 27 - 07:00 PM

Kevin Morris

Kevin Morris

Get over yourself. It's normal for some people to have a different opinion than the masses. It's never the case that everyone likes something. Consider whether this is just one of those cases, or if, "all humanity is devoid of literary taste." I'd say it's pretty obvious which is more likely.

Mar 24 - 05:37 AM

Greg Vaughan

Greg Vaughan

Simple answer never judge a book by its cover... pun intended...

Jan 31 - 01:45 AM

Matt Jones

Matt Jones

i read the book and just saw the movie. i thought the movie was good, but the book was definitely much better. they changed a lot in the movie, that i won't go in to, in case of spoilers.

Sep 3 - 12:08 PM