The Good Doctor - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Good Doctor Reviews

½ October 7, 2012
This was a thrilling and disturbing film. Orlando Bloom's portrayal of the good doctor was haunting and intriguing. Michael Pena's approach was interesting as well. Highly recommended.
September 24, 2012
If Orlando Bloom were an unknown actor making his movie debut here, I would TOTALLY tell him, "Dude, you gotta use this for your reel!" He comes across here as really interesting, one to watch. This is a quietly riveting film, but one that ultimately feels half-baked and often preposterous. As we follow a young medical resident through his first days at a hospital, his attraction to a female patient begins to reveal an obsessive, psychotic personality.

I was reminded of Robin Williams in ONE HOUR PHOTO, although THE GOOD DOCTOR has a muted, hushed tone throughout. Bloom's character lacks that one showy scene that could have sent this story over-the-top into FATAL ATTRACTION territory, and it's all the better for it. A calm, cool and collected main character is far more interesting to watch than one who bellows and bleats all the time like some sort of mutant Al Pacino/Jack NIcholson villainous hybrid. Bloom and co-star Riley Keough set the tone here with their very hushed doctor/patient interactions. It's all quiet, understated subtext that rules the day here.

Unfortunately, as things progress, even though the filmmakers have taken great pains to ensure an internal logic, it's almost impossible not to throw up your hands at some point and say, "Really? REALLY?" Taraji P. Henson and Michael Peña get the best moments here as tow co-workers who seem to see right through Bloom's character. Molly Price and Troy Garity, however, appear to be victims of editing, as I don't understand at all the appeal here for the pair. Price is usually so witheringly good, and there definitely was room for a big showdown of a scene involving her and Bloom, but it never comes to pass. Garity just kind of traverses the sidelines of the story and never comes into focus. BEE-ZARRE!

What we're left with here is a carefully modulated cautionary tale about the dangers of hospitals. Without spoiling anything, the ending is intentionally abrupt, and feels deeply unsatisfying at first glance. After shaking my head and flapping my hands as I headed to the lobby, I thought about it some more and thought, hmmm, at least it's going for something interesting. Nobody gets shot in a bathroom as they charge at someone with a knife. Nobody boils any bunnies. The photography is rich and textured for something so obviously low-budget. It's also as serene and blank as it's main character, and I suppose, in a sense, that is accomplishment enough.
SC007
October 27, 2013
The film was ok, but could have been so much better. They had a good idea for a film, but didn't execute it correctly. They needed a rewrite. The first 2/3rds of the film was good. I had a problem with the last 1/3rd of the film. I didn't like the Michael Pena storyline. I was disappointed by the ending. The film kind of reminded me of the movie Malice.

Performance wise Orlando Bloom does a really good job. Also some good supporting performances from Taraji P. Henson, Riley Keough, Rob Morrow, and J.K. Simmons.
December 21, 2014
A real missed opportunity that never seems to get it's intriguing premise off the ground and its frustratingly slow pace doesn't help its case. Orlando Bloom is a bit of an odd choice for the role, but he plays it well enough that you buy it, though his character's motivations are foggy at best. The story is very plausible and chilling to the bone, but it takes so friggin long for anything to happen, that you've already predicted the events LONG before they take place. It's a film I would never watch again and the ending is totally unbelievable, with a little more effort this could've been a memorable, hospital drama.
September 3, 2012
More of a character study than anything, this movie provides a vehicle for Orlando Bloom to really show his stuff. I wish the writing had give him just a little further to go, but this was still a really interesting performance from him, something we haven't really seen before. I also found the whole concept of a doctor deserving status and respect, and the fact that his character is stuck on that, really interesting. On the other hand, the pace is slow, not a ton happens, and there's a false ending that either should have been the real one or not used at all. But, it was interesting enough.
June 18, 2013
Sometimes you can see where a flick goes wrong but I have not idea what they were going for here. Bloom's lead character is so deadpan and emotionless it's hard to get into this one. Does sort of make you think twice about the trust we give our doctors though.....
½ January 18, 2014
This was an interesting movie. Young doctor without a social life or high self-esteem goed out of his way to manipulate his world into giving him attention and credit. He starts off by messing with a young girl's (Riley Keough, Elvis Presley's granddaughter) medication to get her back into his care at the hospital. Things get more intricate from there, I won't spoil the whole plot.

Orlando Bloom manages to give his character the right performance. This is a movie that deals with a lot of conflicts that may occur in the doctor-patient relationship. And it handles them in a way that is just creepy enough.

Apart from the ending, which feels rushed, the movie has a good pacing and enough attention for characters and environment. The story develops gradually and lets you see more and more of the inner workings of the Good Doctor. Surprisingly, writer John Enbom has no other full-length movies to his name, only episodes of several TV-series (Party Down, Veronica Mars). He should write more!

Pros: Great lead role by Orlando Bloom
Cons: The ending felt a little rushed.
Verdict: Go see!
October 6, 2013
Great Cast, but comes off as an Hour and a Half predictable Lifetime Movie of the Week (Save your time folks stay away from this timewaster)
January 9, 2013
It was sort of scary in as this doctor was a sociopath. But besides being suspenseful what were they trying to tell us. That we should not trust doctors. Sometimes the director thinks has a cautionary tale when the story is unrealistic.
January 20, 2013
It was suspenseful and grasped my attention. It was fairly slow paced at the beginning and unfortunately the ending was unsatisfying.
January 18, 2013
In The Good Doctor, Orlando Bloom plays a young doctor fresh out of medical school. And let's just say he's got some issues.

The Doctor, Martin Blake, becomes allured by one his patients, high school student Diane, who has a kidney infection. Although her infection is nothing to sneeze at, Dr. Blake assures her everything is under control and quickly sends her home nice and healthy. Still enamoured by her however, he devises a plan to return her to his care.

The plot is certainly intriguing, but it takes more than just plot to make a thriller work. Bloom has the responsibility to flesh out an interesting character who despite making bad decisions, can connect with the viewer. Unfortunately, he fails to bring much to the character.

It also doesn't help that the character has little development to begin with. He hints at a desire for lots of respect, which is interesting, but that Idea is never established. I think this story would work better in a TV series than a 90 minute movie. With a back-story developed, Dr. Blake's reasoning would be clearer, and it would make for a more compelling character. In this film, he just seems like a bonehead doing stupid thing after stupid thing.

Even despite a weak lead performance, early on it has it's share of thrilling moments. But eventually, with nowhere to go, it succumbs to the clichéd route, which kills any chance it had of being interesting.
January 6, 2013
Could have been a good movie but it wasn't. The ending of the movie was the deciding factor to make it not as good; The intentionally abrupt ending.
½ December 18, 2012
This movie was ok. It was slow and kind of strange. I still watched. If your bored and got nothing better to watch I guess. I wouldn't buy it or watch again though.
January 5, 2013
If you're looking for something suspenseful or action-packed, seek elsewhere, because this film is neither of those things. But there's an incredibly gripping story here, and Orlando Bloom's performance in this movie is possibly his best yet. I was completely engrossed in what was going on and blown away by the ending. This was far better than I expected.
½ January 5, 2013
A young doctor Martin Blake (Orlando Bloom) strives to be the best at what he does until he crosses paths with a younger patient. Diane Nixon (Riley Keough) is in the hospital for a simple UTI. Soon Martin Blake becomes obsessed with this high school girl to the point where he will do anything to keep her in the hospital with him. He has no real friends, just his job that he can now share with this patient as long as she stays in the hospital. We follow his journey to go to great extremes to keep this girl to himself. This could be one of the more uncomfortable and dark films of the year, watching this man which people have all of their trust in do this to someone is very scary. There are times towards the third act of this movie where it feels the plot had already run its course. At times "The Good Doctor" also feels like a late night made for TV Lifetime movie which is not a good thing. The story is intriguing enough to give this film a rent. Bloom is terrific, as is Michael Pena but many of the other supporting characters are often overdoing their performances.
September 1, 2012
A routine medical thriller with a superb closing act, Lance Daly's The Good Doctor stars the typically typecast swashbuckler Orlando Bloom as a pious and insecure doctor in his first year of residency, whose low self esteem inevitably causes him to develop an obsession with an appreciative teenaged female patient. It's a premise that could possibly work better under the format of an episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, where compelling suspenseful ideas could be told in full in a limited period without needing to pad the runtime, but with the excellent supporting cast of Taraji P. Henson, Michael Pena, Riley Keough, and a surprisingly uncredited J.K Simmons, coupled with a tense screenplay from Party Down scribe John Enbom, I was relatively optimistic that the setup could work just as well as a feature film. Though my optimism was justified with the supporting cast, I was met with sincere disappointment in most other aspects of the film. Due to pedestrian direction, a generally dull script, and a mediocre lead, up until the final 20 minutes I frequently found myself bored and disengaged with the story.

The problems begin almost immediately with Orlando Bloom as Dr. Martin Blake; not necessarily because of his performance, but as result of the poorly written character he plays. Blake has little substance to his persona, and even less personality; a generic weirdo in scrubs who fails to be an interesting enough person to base an entire feature around. Despite essentially spending 90 straight minutes with him, we fail to sympathize, or even understand this figure by the conclusion. Also severely undeveloped is his obsession with Riley Keough as the high schooled subject of his infatuation. Though she certainly gives him the respect he so craves as an under appreciated doctor, why he so suddenly snaps, forcing her to remain under his treatment indefinitely, is never necessarily explained other than in general implications. Keough does a fine enough job with her role, but nothing in Enbom's script does anything to convince us of the powerful effect she has on Bloom. Daly also shares some of the blame for this as well, because it feels as though much of the material which would help connect the dots winded up on the cutting room floor.

Unsurprisingly, the most engaging parts of the film involve the ensemble of workers at the hospital. Michael Pina is excellent as Jimmy, a passive aggressive orderly who eventually discovers Blake's obsession, and uses it to blackmail him for Oxycotton. It's the final act where his character becomes a more crucial element of the broad story, and the film benefits a great deal from it. Also great is Taraji P. Henson, who while near wasted in a brief role as a questioning nurse, brings an emotional center from an outside perspective to Daly's warped love story. Though J.K Simmons only appears for a single scene as a police detective near the conclusion, it brings a tensity that everything before it lacked. While the main plot between Bloom and Keough was a bit of a mess, the background players seem already fleshed out and well developed before the film even begins.

Though there're some major problems at the core, The Good Doctor is somewhat saved by a tense, compelling final third. However, everything before that point was too dreary, dull, and occasionally random to recommend it. If you're a fan of Bloom, it may be nice to find a starring role where he's not welding a sword or bow, but other than that, you might want to skip this...can't think of a pun, sorry.

Grade: C
½ September 7, 2012
This film was the closest I'll ever come to watching the grim series finale of a floundering primetime hospital drama on TBS. I was bored out of my mind from start to finish. The characters were shallow, predictable and repellent, I felt nothing for this movie.
½ July 22, 2012
I enjoyed this movie. I thought it was creepy and it kept me interested. I really was rooting for him to end up with her.
½ July 13, 2012
With the pacing of a quiet procedural medical drama, The Good Doctor stars Orlando Bloom (The Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribbean, Elizabethtown) as Dr. Martin Blake, a "good doctor" at the beginning of of his internship with Chief Resident Waylans (Rob Morrow - Quiz Show, The Bucket List, "Numb3rs"). Blake is eager to please and prove his worth which becomess hard to do with such a bright fellow intern always around (Troy Garity - Bandits, Sunshine, After the Sunset). Blake also appears to be rather new to the geographical area and has no real friends and his lonely evenings at home begin to take their toll on him until he comes across sick, young patient, Diane Nixon, with kidney problems (Riley Keough - Magic Mike, The Runaways, Mad Max: Fury Road). The two form a comfortable-yet-professional relationship with one another and he finds himself at a loss when she is discharged from the hospital before he was able to let her go. Viewed as the "star" doctor who saved their daughter from a serious malady, Dr. Blake is invited by the gratful family to dinner one night which Blake readily accepts -- only to find Diane has decided to spend the evening with her boyfriend instead. Finding an opportunity to "change out" his patient's meds (! -- he goes to some lengths to do this!) in order for her to relapse and therefore return to his care, Blake begins to tempt fate while playing the hand of God ... which could have diasterous consequences. The film is very understated and as Blake's nerves begin to fray so do those of the audience. The film could easily fall flat, but Bloom keeps one marginally interested as his layered performance is an intriguing one ... empathy can be felt for this character who is an equal mix of good vs. bad. Blake wants to be a "good doctor" and so he'll do anything to become one -- which includes lying, cheating and stealing. As Blake believes he is doing ALL of this for the betterment of another, is the conundrum. It is a film of little action but a fair amount of suspense and tension. There are plenty of holes -- surgical would-size -- but one can allow for it to work.