• Directed By:
    Baz Luhrmann
    In Theaters:
    May 10, 2013 Wide
    On DVD:
    Aug 27, 2013
  • Warner Bros. Pictures

Guess the Tomatometer

I'm going to go read the book for the first time, but before I do, here are my predictions.

I'm a bit skeptical, so I am going to go with a 63%.

"'The Great Gatsby' is a visually astonishing adaptation of the classic F. Scott Fitzgerald novel, even though its execution does not always complement its stellar performances.
Marcus J.
04-10-2013 04:12 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

I said it was going to bomb. Not much to be said for the RottenTomatoes "audience" though...............

May 29 - 12:52 PM

David Tanny

Big Fat Jewish Guy

47% All Critics, 43% Top Critics.

May 7 - 10:25 PM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

18%
Consensus: "Shitty movie; critics are saying it's Leo's worst, even worse than J Edgar".

May 6 - 12:17 PM

Christopher Kelly

Christopher Kelly

Yeah but this shit got my nigga Jay-Z up in this shit. Na mean? That alone should make it 90% on that damn ass crackermeter shit. For reals.

May 6 - 12:25 PM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

... Go to hell.

May 6 - 12:28 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

50%

May 6 - 02:09 AM

Ungly Foursixfive

Ungly Foursixfive

Hey Look you're right.

May 17 - 09:43 PM

Ronald Neira

Ronald Neira

Wow, you are right-

May 18 - 08:45 AM

Kyle VanderHeyden

Kyle VanderHeyden

probably in the upper fifties

May 5 - 01:38 PM

JJ ..

JJ .

Eh, I know it's the 'new trend' to make your review, but I'm just going to leave it that it's going to be between 60 and 80%. Leonardo DeCaprio will probably save the day, the film itself looks more or less like the book, and of course it has Luhrmann. But I'm having doubts after seeing no reviews and the fact that it's in 3D.

May 5 - 08:58 AM

Nicholas Moody

Nicholas Moody

I'd say around a 70-80%
"Although The Great Gatsby is not as great as the book, it still has an excellent performance from Leonardo Dicaprio and a great storyline."

May 5 - 04:21 AM

Sebastian Diaz

Sebastian Diaz

i don't know a drama in 3D, feels like a money cashgrab with a huge cast, i would like 85%+ but pretty sure it is going to be about 60-70, anyways im always wrong i though IM3 was gonna be 85, Oblivion 92, Pain and Gain 75.

May 4 - 11:13 PM

Nicholas P.

Nicholas Perez

70 to 80 percent

May 4 - 04:28 PM

Seb M

Seb Moore

66% - "although it lacks the subtlety of Fitzgerald's novel, Baz Luhrmann's adaptation features astonishing visuals and a strong central performance from Leonardo DiCaprio".

May 1 - 10:40 PM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

you don't know shit!

May 29 - 12:53 PM

Tony Eddard Stark

Tony Eddard Stark

My opinion? Low 60s to mid 70%s. I am having a problem not comparing it to Redford's version.
Critics? Mid to high 80%s. I have a feeling the majority will give it positive reviews.
Teens - 20s? 90-100%. Has flash, Leonardo, and hip-hop music.
30s - 40s? Between 40-50% or 80-90%s. They will either hate it or love it.
50s & older? Most won't grace this movie with a thought. I don't blame them either.

May 1 - 02:57 PM

Johnem95

John Mathews

I honestly have no freakin' clue with this one. I'll just say.. somewhere in the 60's or 70's.

May 1 - 09:14 AM

Tallulah Robinson

Tallulah Robinson

Since when did writing your own review-summarising sentence become a thing? It's weird.

I think it's a given this movie will look spectacular, but I honestly wouldn't have a clue about anything else. By the looks of the trailer, Luhrmann has, not astonishingly, missed the entire point of the entire damn book, but I don't think that's something that would bring the tomatometer down. I'd say...low 70s or so.

May 1 - 05:52 AM

Sean P.

Sean Patrick

61%

"An enjoyable remake of the classic Fitzgerald novel that ultimately relies too heavily on its style and performances to hide its lack of substance."

The plot of Fitzgerald's novel was never the strong point, but the style. I think the movie will follow suit.

Apr 30 - 09:02 PM

Spencer Rhodes

Spencer Rhodes

Too many skeptics here. I'm going with 90% or higher. I have high hopes for this film, and I am confident it will live up to them.

Apr 30 - 03:59 PM

David Tanny

Big Fat Jewish Guy

What a bummer, man.

May 7 - 10:27 PM

Zach Pruhs

Zach Pruhs

73%

Apr 30 - 07:38 AM

President Pedro

President Pedro

Toby is guaranteed to suck big time and is a lead; that'll bring it down good. I say 70-80.

Apr 29 - 07:10 PM

John Tyler

John Tyler McClane

Watch BROTHERS. He was fucking good in that film.

Apr 30 - 03:52 AM

hollis m.

hollis mills

well care to elaborate why hes gonna suck?

May 6 - 09:01 AM

The Fox

What Does Da Foe Say?

A nice, even 50%

"Although the inevitable film adaptation of the novel is mostly accurate and faithful to the plot, The Great Gatsby is too bulky a work to move over to film and eventually succumbs to the same level of pointlessness and self-indulgence that plagued such films as August Rush and Atlas Shrugged."

Apr 29 - 03:56 PM

The Fox

What Does Da Foe Say?

DEAD ON.

May 17 - 03:48 PM

Bram S.

Bram Sterling

*Standing ovation*

May 18 - 05:03 AM

John Tyler

John Tyler McClane

74%
"Baz Luhrmann's adaptation of the timeless F. Scott Fitzgerald novel may not have the best execution, but The Great Gatsby still shines on with astonishing 3D visuals, stellar performances, and a very unique use of modern-day music in its 1920's setting."

Apr 29 - 12:06 PM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

I heard the score is produced by Jay-Z so I'm gonna say 0%. Fuck this bastardization of a classic novel.

Apr 29 - 11:36 AM

Josh Rosenfield

Josh Rosenfield

So, because the score is produced by one of the most talented, well-respected people in the music industry, it's guaranteed to suck? You're an idiot.

Apr 30 - 12:51 PM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

Jay-z, Talented? LOLOLOLOLOL In another universe and timeline far away from this one, sure, but not in this universe...I don't want some shitty fucked up rap music in the Great Gatsby.

Apr 30 - 01:14 PM

Sebastian Diaz

Sebastian Diaz

i love you

Apr 30 - 04:56 PM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

I love you too.

Apr 30 - 06:53 PM

Tallulah Robinson

Tallulah Robinson

It's entirely possible his music may not work with the movie (rap and the 20s, hmm) but saying jayz is an untalented musician makes you a bit of a dolt.

May 1 - 05:53 AM

Irkingfetus

Josh Gara

His music was mostly left on the cutting room floor.

Jun 1 - 11:21 AM

Robert M.

Robert Marino

Josh, I just wait for the day your fellow tribesman pull a "michael jackson/mc hammer" on that creature from equitorial africa. Talented? It's strange how your tribe never pushes "rap" music in israel...can't imagine why that is...but anyway, I can't wait for the day the tribe pulls the rug out from this one and he's left screaming, bill fold missing and owing the IRS 80 million and the tribesman shurg and say "not our fault" as they count their profits.

May 3 - 10:33 PM

Robert M.

Robert Marino

"well-respected???" Sorry, I just had to come back for that one. If I made a song bragging about how I'd poisoned my community by selling crack/cocaine, how "well-respected" would I be?

May 3 - 10:35 PM

The Fox

What Does Da Foe Say?

Jay-Z is the biggest know-nothing untalented piece of dog shit motherfucker ever to be belched out of the spawn of satan that is pop music. Fuck him, fuck his music, fuck all y'all.

May 15 - 04:21 PM

Devan Seawood

Devan Seawood

He may have little talent himself, but the soundtrack definitely turned out to be a hit. Between Florence's 'Over the Love' and Lana's 'Young & Beautiful', the album turned out to be amazing.

May 17 - 10:38 PM

Andre Pazmino

Andre Pazmino

45%, the film looks Batman & Robin flamboyant mixed with 'Australia' vapidity, though it will most likely be salvaged by the cast and the spectacle.

Apr 29 - 09:51 AM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

Baz Luhrmann is flamboyant style over substance director, I think ultimately it will be between 57 and 35%. He'll probably suck as much subtance out of the source material as he can and replace it with flashy production designs and overuse of modern music in inappropriate historical setting etc. Long story short I'm really not a Baz Luhrmann fan.

Apr 29 - 07:06 AM

Tallulah Robinson

Tallulah Robinson

I reckon it'll be an exercise in perfect irony: a classic novel about the waste and excess of post war life adapted to a movie that gets the extravagance perfectly but not the substance. It's gonna be brilliantly hilarious :D

May 1 - 05:54 AM

Evan M.

Evan McOrr

No film adaptation of "Gatsby" has ever succeeded, and I doubt this one will either. With Baz Luhrmann as director and no clear sense of the audience who will want to see this, I predict less than 50%. Probably closer to 30%.

Apr 25 - 02:30 PM

Alex M.

Alex Maverick

I agree.

Apr 25 - 08:16 PM

Ethan Steers

Ethan Steers

I disagree. Baz Luhrmann's films have done 95%, 71%, 76%, and 55% being his lowest. I'm not sure how him being director hurts the film. Not to mention the clear marketing initiative to appeal to the younger crowd. All people will want to see this film for many different reasons.

Apr 29 - 12:12 AM

Evan M.

Evan McOrr

Luhrmann hurts the film because he is a foreigner adapting one of the great American novels. Graned, I've only seen previews like everyone else, but he doesn't seem to understand the Jazz Age nor does he seem to have respect for the source material (I'm sorry but a Kanye West, Lana Del Ray & Jay-Z soundtrack for a film set in the 1920s is marketing not art). Luhrmann told the LA Times that his film was informed by "what was left unsaid" in the novel: in other words, not really interested in the words on the page or the "vague" title character, but instead making up dialogue and plot points based on other Fitzgerald writings and letters.

Apr 30 - 09:44 AM

Ethan Steers

Ethan Steers

I don't think you understand the meaning of adaptation...

Apr 30 - 01:53 PM

Evan M.

Evan McOrr

Currently 38% all critics, 27% top critics. Guess I understand a little more than you do.

May 8 - 12:32 PM

All-Knowing Panda

Trading Card Panda

It's targeted as counter marketing for Iron Man 3, and Baz isn't a bad director but he has some love-it or hate-it movies, which this may be one of them.

Apr 29 - 05:59 AM

Justin D.

Justin Downing

Probably around 70-80%

Apr 24 - 06:37 PM

Marco Chaudry

Marco Chaudry

It'll probably end up being the Les Miserables of 2013.

Apr 24 - 06:32 PM

4nier

H. 4nier

I really hope not. Les MIserables was horrid...

Apr 26 - 11:32 AM

Devan Seawood

Devan Seawood

If you thought Les Mis was horrid, I would honestly hate to see what you would consider good.

May 17 - 10:39 PM

Don Roff

Don Roff

74%

Apr 23 - 05:01 PM

Seb M

Seb Moore

it doesnt really look like it captures the subtlety of the novel

Apr 23 - 01:51 AM

I Hate The Tomato

Donald Prentice

Book was good and the movie was better. The only thing that I remember or gave a crap about in high school. Well that and my history teacher. :) She was also the girls' volleyball coach. Seeing her run braless in a sweaty white t top was AWESOME!!!!! This movie? The Leoretardo DeCappuccino remake? No thanks, pass.

Apr 23 - 12:50 AM

Mark Angelini

Mark Angelini

72% with an average score of 6.6

Apr 19 - 06:26 PM

Andrea Beaton

Andrea Beaton

Around the 70%. I don't think this will as good as people expect it to be. And I'm not particularly a Luhrmann fan. I'm rather afraid of what he will do to this brilliant story. From what I saw in the trailer, the costuming is awfully inaccurate.

Apr 18 - 11:21 AM

Jacob Miller

Jacob Miller

I'm going with 88-93% and with some Oscar buzz, I may be putting a little too much faith into this one but I can't help it. I REALLY want this to be good.

Apr 14 - 05:12 PM

Brandon Boykin

Brandon Boykin

I'm with you, man.

Apr 20 - 11:26 PM

Adam Alderton

Adam Alderton

Same. Really think this can deliver. Baz creates a masterpiece. I think it'll be at least an 82%.

Apr 27 - 08:10 AM

Jacob Miller

Jacob Miller

One can only hope.

May 5 - 06:25 PM

Branden Mata

Branden Mata

My dream? 90-93%. For some reason I truly have a feeling this will be Baz Luhrmanns masterpiece and be a box office and critical success. The cast is fantastic(Leo,Mulligan,and Edgerton are great, Tobey is okay), the Score sounds absolutely amazing especially from the new trailer, the visuals look splendid(that fireworks scene from the new trailer is jaw dropping), and its from a great source material(the one book I loved In high school).

Realistically thinking though, maybe 78-87%.

Apr 14 - 11:18 AM

Justen Noll

Justen Noll

78%

Apr 13 - 03:18 PM

Ronald Neira

Ronald Neira

80% to 60%

Apr 13 - 07:50 AM

Alex M.

Alex Maverick

65%

Apr 11 - 10:27 PM

Radleigh Ang

Radleigh Ang

The previous Gatsby adaptions have been trash, and I don't expect that much different. 50. I hope I am wrong.

Apr 11 - 08:00 PM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

Luhrmann's movies are usually polarizing, so 60s

Apr 11 - 03:49 PM

Vedant Naik

Vedant Naik

somewhere in the 70s for me

Apr 10 - 06:43 PM

Find us on:                 
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile