• Directed By:
    Baz Luhrmann
    In Theaters:
    May 10, 2013 Wide
    On DVD:
    Aug 27, 2013
  • Warner Bros. Pictures

looks boring

Not interested in this movie at all, but I've never read the book so i don't really have a good opinion of how good this movie will be.
Brendan Sullivan
05-6-2013 10:32 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Ben Blankenship

Ben Blankenship

The Great Gatsby (latest version): A beautiful, totally boring movie

Jun 4 - 06:52 PM

Mister  M.

Mister Magoo

I can rub my strap-on to Leo, though.

May 10 - 09:51 PM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

He's good, but this movie looks to be those movies for fans of the book or people who like a lot of talking.

May 13 - 09:17 AM

Troy McGraw

Troy McGraw

It's really just for modern audiences, but fans of the novel (and those who actually like Baz Luhrmann's style) will love this film. It's a rather exciting film, just like Romeo + Juliet or Moulin Rouge. I loved this film and I'm a huge fan of the novel, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and Baz Luhrmann.

May 15 - 05:42 PM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

Baz has some good movies, but nothing that stands out. I hated romeo plus Juliet a lot

May 22 - 12:44 PM

JC Martel

JC Martel

No superheroes and no CGI ? Pass !

May 9 - 06:04 PM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

I actually heard the visuals were pretty good. Also, I wouldn't care if there wasn't superheros but there doesn't seem to be anything exciting

May 9 - 11:19 PM

Killer Jay

Jay Catler

You not a nigga hata, are you?

May 9 - 12:57 PM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

What the hell are you talking about? What does this have to do with anything?

May 9 - 11:17 PM

cinematografo

Lore G.

Saw it. Not an Oscar contender but engrossing, except for the jarring modern music that doesn't add to the mood of the Roaring Twenties. The use of 3D, that I felt was odd for a drama, worked well bringing the energy of the city and the parties and in delicate moments like when we first meet Daisy. All that saw the preview with me applauded.

May 8 - 11:10 AM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

The problem was is that it completely missed the point of the novel. Sure the times were exciting, but the book went beyond that to show the dark underbelly of the Jazz Age, while this movie seemed content to only focus on the glitz and glamor of it.

May 9 - 02:38 PM

TES FSB Strike Drone AI

TES FSB Strike Drone AI

I agree. It does look boring.

May 7 - 06:52 PM

Bill J.

Bill Johnson

Nearly all literary fiction premises are boring, dry, and uninspiring. But as for the execution, they do contain some compelling story elements, within all the fluff and dryness.

May 6 - 11:26 PM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

great, I can wait for it to come to dvd

May 6 - 11:48 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

The book is shit, & if you're not yet a Junior in high school then you might eventually get to reading it.

May 6 - 10:48 PM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

Never read it in High school. People actually read it in 8th in my school district.

May 6 - 11:46 PM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

Wow. George, go away. You're 12.

May 7 - 09:08 AM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

I'm not 12, maybe you are (clearly), but don't put the ignorance on me. And sorry, I don't enjoy literature that lacks a story, or a coherent plot.

May 7 - 12:28 PM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

Yeah, that's why you gave Rock of Ages a 70, you 12 year old fuck.

May 7 - 12:49 PM

M O.

M O

Rock of Ages 70? What did you give Moulin Rouge?

May 7 - 12:52 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Already stated that the film only impressed me with it's musical scenes & lacked a story or plot, or did you just look at the score?

And M O, I have yet to watch Moulin Rogue.

May 8 - 12:27 AM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Already stated that the film only impressed me with it's musical scenes & lacked a story or plot, or did you just look at the score or are you that fucking retarded?

May 8 - 12:28 AM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Already stated that the film only impressed me with it's musical scenes & lacked a story or plot, or did you just look at the score like a fucking retard?

May 8 - 12:28 AM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

If you didn't see the story in The Great Gatsby, you weren't mentally ready to read it

May 8 - 01:07 AM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

Thank you Brain Harris!

May 8 - 08:42 AM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

was the book that good?

May 9 - 11:20 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

It's one of the greatest American novels, Brendan.

May 10 - 01:43 PM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

never read it, so i have no opinion on it

May 10 - 07:57 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

No, Brendan, it's not. It may be a well written piece of American literature, but the book lacks a story, plot, or even an original premise. Brian is just a troll (pfff, mentally ready to read it, what moron invented that?)

May 22 - 02:27 PM

Diego Tutweiller

The Artist Formerly Known as Tutweiller

I have no opinion about the book, having not read it, but I admire your willingness to refuse to give in to the majority opinion.

May 22 - 05:39 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

I refuse to give in to idiocracy.

May 23 - 12:51 AM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

I don't know. I heard it from people and they said it was good.

May 31 - 08:20 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Good writing = Yes
Good read = No

Jun 7 - 03:33 PM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

How in the world does it lack a story or plot? Original premise I'll give you, but you could say the same about almost anything.

Jun 16 - 02:06 AM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

I might see it when it gets it's Blu-ray release, but I'll skip it's theatrical run. I'm seeing it for the actors. The director's style isn't my cup o' tea, though.

May 6 - 10:36 PM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

same here. Doesn't look like a theater movie.

May 6 - 11:51 PM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

or even netflix it

May 6 - 11:52 PM

Vaibhav Gupta

Vaibhav Gupta

nope there is reason it is in 3D it looks great

May 7 - 12:22 AM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

Shut up: The only reason it's in 3D is to make more money.

May 7 - 09:07 AM

Troy McGraw

Troy McGraw

It was meant to be in 3D from the get-go. Had nothing to do with money. It was a way to immerse the audience within the world of Gatsby. Same goes for the soundtrack. It was about creating an experience.

May 7 - 01:55 PM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

Nope. It's to make more money from the teen/20-year old demographic.

May 7 - 03:00 PM

Troy McGraw

Troy McGraw

That wasn't its intention in this film. It was the same intention Ridley Scott had with Prometheus. It isn't all about money in the film business. Some directors are simply passionate about their projects and do what they think is best to tell the story. I'd know. I'm a filmmaker, myself.

May 7 - 04:11 PM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

Dude, open your eyes. IT'S ALL ABOUT MONEY.

May 7 - 06:05 PM

Troy McGraw

Troy McGraw

Not true. It isn't about the money for me. I would never put a film in 3D to make more money. If I was to use 3D it would be because I feel it adds depth to the film itself. I'm not alone on this.

May 7 - 06:20 PM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

Okay well have fun living in your ignorance because Hollywood's clutches have your brain and it looks like you can't escape.

May 8 - 08:43 AM

Troy McGraw

Troy McGraw

I'm not ignorant. I love this industry. I love films and I love making films. I do agree there are some films and movies that scream money-hungry (every Transformers movie by Michael Bay), but not everything is like that.

May 8 - 11:05 AM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

Not everything is like that, you're right.
But this movie is.

May 9 - 08:34 AM

Troy McGraw

Troy McGraw

This film was meant to be in 3D from the get-go...before any actors even signed on. Baz wanted to create the sense of immersion. It wasn't for money then nor is it now.

May 9 - 11:06 AM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

Regardless of whether it was intentional or not, the 3D felt jarringly out of place. 3D Great Gatsby just seems like a joke.

May 9 - 02:35 PM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

Troy, you are so ignorant about the film business that you should probably step away from it. Go work at McDonalds. That's your true calling.

May 9 - 03:11 PM

Troy McGraw

Troy McGraw

EntertainMeOrDie, please tell me how I am ignorant. I love telling stories through film. How I choose to tell them is my call. I'm not even a part of Hollywood. I'm independent.

May 9 - 03:28 PM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

Independent? Good. Stay as far away as possible from Hollywood. It's nothing but trouble; and nothing matters there except money. That's why this movie was made.

May 9 - 06:06 PM

Troy McGraw

Troy McGraw

The film was made because they had an idea and they ran with it. I think it worked. As for staying away from Hollywood, I may not do that because I have some ideas (quite a few, actually) that are better suited for the silver screen and mainstream audiences. I just tell the stories that come to my mind. No preferred genre. Well, I'll do most anything that isn't horror or gore.

May 9 - 06:27 PM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

Fine but be prepared to be brainwashed by their greedy clutches.

May 10 - 01:40 PM

Artlover3000

Marleny Kery

@entertainmeor die.. what about your perspective on this whole thing makes it the absolute truth? Your opinion though i know you hold very near and dear to your heart 1. doesnt matter and 2. may not be true at all so let it go. The director himself said he wanted 3d for depth, and movie goers and critics have appreciated that aspect while they watched the movie. You can argue all you want against something you see no value in but that doesn't mean its not valuable to others.cinema is all inclusive and plays to the senses of those watching it.if baz wanted to add another perspective so what. sometimes things are less cynical then you imagine. get over yourself and enjoy the ride.

May 10 - 10:14 PM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

LOLWHUT! Look everyone, another blind idiot caught in the clutches of Hollywood's brainwashing...

May 13 - 09:26 PM

Duncan D.

Duncan Dognuts

It's in 3D for the same reason it has a Jay-Z soundtrack. That is, the Hollywood Movie Creation Machine spit out a little piece of paper that said it was necessary.

Jun 6 - 12:50 AM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

It's not all about money for the director, but for the studios it just that. No studio makes a movie just for their liking of movies. You guys are both right.

May 9 - 11:24 PM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

Nope; only I can be right. Because I'm not brainwashed like the 84% of audiences who liked this movie.

May 10 - 01:40 PM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

pretty sure my argument was more valid.

May 10 - 07:57 PM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

You have no argument; because you're a brainwashed fucktard.

May 13 - 09:26 PM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

you're an idiot, because did you that I make this post. What does the post say? It looks boring. You're the fucktard that believes everything is about money. just shut up and get off my post

May 14 - 12:08 AM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

you're an idiot, because who do you think made this post. What does the post say? It looks boring. You're the fucktard that believes everything is about money. just shut up and get off my post

May 15 - 07:39 PM

Duncan D.

Duncan Dognuts

What else would the 3D be about? The director's good taste? When has Baz demonstrated he has any?

Jun 6 - 12:52 AM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile