The Green Butchers (2004)

TOMATOMETER

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: No consensus yet.

Movie Info

This black comedy from Denmark involves the exploits of Bjarne and Svend, two friends who go into the meat-cutting business together only to see their venture fail miserably. But when Svend starts experimenting with a strange new culinary concoction, business picks up -- but they find that getting ahold of their "secret ingredient" will be more of a challenge than they thought.

Rating: R (for language, disturbing images and drug use)
Genre: Drama, Art House & International, Comedy

as Customer (uncredited...

as Journalist

Show More Cast

Friend Ratings

No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.

Critic Reviews for The Green Butchers

All Critics (34) | Top Critics (19)

The subject is so grim you may find that you've forgotten to laugh.

Full Review… | February 11, 2005
Toronto Star
Top Critic

Gruesome as it may sound, Butchers is a likeable, well-made film and a genuine comedy.

Full Review… | February 3, 2005
Chicago Tribune
Top Critic

You might not want to dine with this group, especially if they brought the meat. But it's OK to play with the knives a little.

Full Review… | January 28, 2005
Denver Post
Top Critic

While it's got a refreshingly dry, nasty tone, the film is never quite as funny as it needs to be.

Full Review… | January 21, 2005
Seattle Times
Top Critic

It's much ado about mutton.

Full Review… | January 21, 2005
Boston Globe
Top Critic

Neither funny nor outrageous nor horrifying nor conventionally affecting.

Full Review… | January 14, 2005
San Francisco Chronicle

Audience Reviews for The Green Butchers

½

This is a huge surprise. I have to say that I believe this might be the first Danish film I've ever seen in my life. I'll be looking for more. A beautiful mix of dark comedy and the seriously elevating power of love. In the end, this is less a comedy than it is a moving portrayal of forgiveness in the wake of tragedy. Just a fascinating mix. I can't even think of a film, off the top of my head, where such an emotional blend is achieved in such an interesting way. Flixsters, this is a must-see.NB: If you do watch this, be prepared to deploy a healthy willing suspension of disbelief.

binky013
Lanning : )

½

Best foreign movie around. Even though it was in another language, I laughed the whole time. Sven Sveat!

puffchunk
Curtis Lilly

½

The second out of three films directed by Danish Anders Thomas Jensen and my second favourite after ADAM'S APPLES. Equally dark, equally funny, equally unlikeable-yet-somehow-likeable characters (this time its two butchers butchering acquaintances to keep the business open). The plot is just as wonky as his other films, just slightly less unexpected. But thats a minor quibble, like comparing pigs to pigs when you love pigs. Just watch and enjoy, it's way past time the man directed another one.

lesleyanorton
Lesley N

The Green Butchers Quotes

There are no approved quotes yet for this movie.

Discussion Forum

Discuss The Green Butchers on our Movie forum!