Critic Review - Village Voice

I was told there would be more wolf-punching.

January 24, 2012 Full Review Source: Village Voice | Comments (14)
Village Voice
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

Colin Behnke

Colin Behnke

I personally consider it a really good sign that so far all of the Rotten reviews for the movie complain that it isn't a mindless action adventure flick.

If anything that just makes me even more excited for this (and even more curious about the competence/attention span of some professional movie reviewers).

Jan 24 - 04:37 PM

Wendy Grillo

Wendy Grillo

WELL SAID‚?¶. I AGREE!!

He's disappointed that there wasn't "more wolf punching"... Really?? How this guy got a job reviewing films... I have NO idea.

Jan 24 - 06:44 PM

Myron

Myron Kinsey

I think the critic was being sarcastic.

Jan 25 - 07:09 PM

Dave Williamson

Dave Williamson

"there's too much Jack London" um...how is that a bad thing?

Jan 24 - 08:13 PM

John Moreno

John Moreno

Don't be fooled. While there is some action, mostly in the form of wolf attacks, by the 10th one, you'll feel as cold and indifferent as the brutal Alaskan climate. Then there's the extremely disappointing ending. Don't say you were not warned ...

Jan 24 - 11:37 PM

Wendy Grillo

Wendy Grillo

totally disagree‚?¶.loved the ending and the large screening audience I saw it with obviously did too‚?¶

Jan 25 - 07:49 AM

T45Red

Mitchell Nash

I read the full review. This makes me want to see the movie. :P

Jan 25 - 02:21 PM

Matt Siener

Matt Siener

Is it just me or did someone else find this soundbite hilarious?

Jan 26 - 01:44 PM

James Francis

James Francis

When did film critics get so dumb? Since when have film critics complained about a film having too much character development and intelligence? Who would have thought an action film would be panned for not being simpler and emptier.

My biggest fear was that The Grey would be just another shallow action films. Sounds like it's actually more of a real movie that happens to have action in it. More excited to see this than ever. And less and less respect for film critics every single day...

Jan 27 - 06:59 AM

James Reed

James Reed

The first half of this movie was great. Then the "deep philosophical debates" about God and man vs. nature and people's loved one's came in to the screen in an entirely predictable fashion.It was stereotypical, and it made the movie go downhill for me. It felt cheesy, it felt like a cheap way to get you to care about the people on the screen. The line where that one guy says "WE ARE THE ANIMALS!!" had me facepalming. This movie tried to be smart, but it failed in my eyes.

Jan 27 - 08:41 PM

Angry Whaler

Angry Whaler

Me too! I went into it with that exact expectation thanks to the trailer. Not one punched wolf. Boo.

Jan 29 - 09:48 PM

Ryan M

Ryan Marshall

Remember; this is America. Any wolf punching (there was pretty much none in this entire movie) would have piqued the interest of the ever-annoying PTA.

Feb 1 - 12:01 PM

Garrett Cosgrove

Garrett Cosgrove

How exactly is someone this braindead a Top Critic?

Feb 2 - 12:49 PM

Forrest Slater

Forrest Slater

That's why the ending was so disappointing. He busts out the glass knuckles -- and they don't even show it!

We want more wolf punching.

Feb 7 - 09:50 PM