Critic Review - Detroit News

"The Grey" may appeal to those who like entrails, tough talk and bad endings. All others beware.

January 27, 2012 Full Review Source: Detroit News | Comments (64)
Detroit News
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

Niall Dargan

Niall Dargan

Talk about point missed. This is a quite philoshical survival movie, Neeson gives a wonderfully subtle performance full of sadness and regret. Sure its a genre movie but to say its full of "entrails, tough talk and bad endings" is just lazy assed reviewing. Cop on to yourself Tom Long.

Jan 27 - 08:42 AM

Mike Camire

Mike Camire

Survival movie? They make weapons, than leave them all behind as they decide to walk until they are exhausted, defenseless and eventually dead. I had huge hope for this one, but it fell flat.

Jan 27 - 03:11 PM

Todd Garry

Todd Garry

long story short you want an unrealistic man versus hundreds of wolves. I applaud the director for going the direction he did. It would have been so stupid if Liam was taking on wolf after wolf.

Jan 27 - 05:26 PM

Mike Camire

Mike Camire

I am not saying they should take on wolf after wolf. I am saying that I would at least carry a stick or tie my knife (which each of them had for some odd reason) to the end of a stick for defense. I wouldnt just walk aimlessly all day til the point of exhaustion. Clearly the fire was keeping them away. How many weapons could they have made from the wreckage in the plane before heading out? Sorry my first instinct would be to make a flipping weapon.

Jan 28 - 08:52 AM

Brendan Maas

Brendan Maas

I wondered the same thing, I think most peoples first reaction would have been to make some friggin weapons. However, "Clearly the fire was keeping them away"....did you watch the movie?! I can count 3 times that a wolf attacked while they were sitting near or by the fire!!!

Jan 28 - 08:08 PM

Seth Barham

Seth Barham

Maybe the reason each of them have knives is because they are doing manual labor in Alaska. Not too shocking.

Jan 28 - 10:08 PM

Hamza Iskander

Hamza Iskander

dude do u think u wud of been really thaat strong to just take out pieces of a wrecked plane specially in that cold weather .. do u think u wud even have the same state of mind ? and make weapons to kill what a 100 or more wolves ?

Mar 9 - 06:43 AM

Tom Howe

Tom Howe

rtard

Jan 27 - 07:30 PM

Ellen Martin

Ellen Martin

I agree. My husband and I thought it was a depressing movie and quite unrealistic.

Jan 27 - 08:23 PM

Thiago Fernandes

Thiago Fernandes

well you should try to put you and there place. what would you do. ill tell you. you would shit your pants then cry. this was a great movie and people are being to strict with it.

Jan 27 - 08:48 PM

Jarred Pearson

Jarred Pearson

this was terribly unrealistic in regard to anything to do with survival. he would have been dead 30 minutes after falling in that water with no fire. why didnt he just poke his head underwater and see what was holding his friend down..... that whole scene was lame. and along with other comments who makes a bunch of weapons and then leaves them. terrible movie

Jan 29 - 06:54 PM

Dan Basone

Dan Basone

What would you do when you're in frantic mode being chased by wolves? Clearly you see a log and your friend trapped. How can you react fast enough to realize that a boulder has his foot trapped? How would you be able to do that? First instinct is to do what you see.

Please, spare me the insight when you have nothing to say.

Realistic? Ha! So, I guess you've been in a plan crashed, survived and had to fend for yourself in Alaska.

Jan 29 - 09:05 PM

Johnny Mize

Johnny Mize

Neeson was wearing wool as well which when wet retains much of its insulation value... Something for you to consider before saying he would be dead within 30 min. Also I have fallen through ice in sub freezing temps, as long as you keep moving its not too terrible

Jan 31 - 02:28 PM

Dale OBrien

Dale OBrien

I have spent some time outdoors and this was the most unrealistic movie I have ever seen.200# men supported by clothes tied together and walking around in wet clothing in freezing weather. I don't think so.

Dale O

Feb 22 - 08:43 PM

David Wallace

David Wallace

@Dale O

I've spent some time outdoors too. I sometimes go out into my backyard. I'm forced to walk outside to travel between different buildings at uni. Hell, sometimes I even walk from my house to the train station, but clearly you're the expert on the outdoors.

Mar 10 - 06:43 AM

Nelson T.

Nelson Ta

Dude, The Grey is a movie yet you're telling somebody to do it in real life. Have some common sense you idiot. The movie will never portray what a real survival is like.

Jan 31 - 03:36 AM

Thiago Fernandes

Thiago Fernandes

im sorry tom but you are the harshes and WORST movie reviewer of all time. i have never seen somebody hate as many movies as you. i think you go there and try not to like the movie. and the ending was great. you have a very bad taste in movies.

Jan 27 - 08:46 PM

John Dwyer

John Dwyer

Have you never read Armond White?

Jan 29 - 08:37 PM

Daci Armstrong

Daci Armstrong

Tom Long is so negative! If he isn't too much of a pansy who should try a career on an oilrig. Maybe he'd last about 5 1/2 minutes!

Jan 27 - 08:58 PM

Tim Williams

Tim Williams

tom long should not give away if the movie ends badly or goodly.

Jan 27 - 09:33 PM

Gabriel Zisk

Gabriel Zisk

The ending is 100% opinion based. You can't prove to someone why it's good or bad. So I'm with the review on that.

The review noted how the depth didn't really go over. I disagree, I thought it was quite good, if a little too neeson faced.

valid review otherwise.

Jan 27 - 10:17 PM

keitaro202

Kelby Peeler

just because you can't prove something doesn't make it 100% opinion based. I can't prove to you that the world exists, but that doesn't make belief in it 100% opinion based.

Jan 30 - 09:15 PM

Patrick Bathgate

Patrick Bathgate

That was dumb, shut up. Wolves don't attack people
/thread.

Feb 5 - 10:01 AM

Wesley Tyler

Wesley Tyler

They do if they are hungry enough and in the middle of nowhere where we saw no other wildlife throughout the movie BESIDES people.

Feb 20 - 02:43 PM

Kyle Milner

Kyle Milner

Wolves DO attack people. There have been only a few dozen attacks in the last century, but those are the ones that just take place in or around populated areas.

Mar 11 - 04:27 AM

Devon Duffenais

Devon Duffenais

An opinion is an opinion, even when its wrong ;)

Jan 28 - 07:35 AM

Mark Hootman

Mark Hootman

While his tag line is a bit predictable, so is the movie. While it strove for philosophical, it just came off anti-faith / anti-God. Liam Neeson is a great actor and I kept hoping for this dreary, hopeless mess to rise to some kind of level. Never did. Sincerely wished I'd never seen it...brutal, hopeless and utterly predictable. Saw the end coming some time earlier and hoped I was wrong.

Jan 28 - 07:49 AM

Lindsey Garrett

Lindsey Garrett

I couldn't agree more.

Jan 28 - 12:05 PM

Andrew Coleman

Andrew Coleman

Please, anti-faith? The movie mentioned God twice, and the first time was met with both atheistic and religious sides being show out of the group. The second time was a man rightfully questioning his faith (which, the fact that he tries to communicate with God shows that he does/did have at least a semblance of faith)considering the circumstance of the situation and his past. In fact, the way he holds one of the survivor's wallets mimics prayer, which is what he possibly could have been doing. The fact that people bring up faith in review of this movie shows how terribly fixated we are in the matters of religion-- and this movie is above that, and doesn't take a stand on either side.

Jan 28 - 02:18 PM

Brendan Maas

Brendan Maas

Well said and completely accurate! These same people I gaurantee are huge Tebow fans, and not because of his athletic ability. Again, nice summation and right on the spot. For the record, didn't love the movie, thought it was average.

Jan 28 - 08:12 PM

Seth Barham

Seth Barham

Spot on. What did these "Tebow fans" think was going to happen? A helicopter to fall out of the sky while he's crying out to God? Christ, that would've been stupid. This is a movie for realists.

Jan 28 - 10:15 PM

Christopher Parsons

Christopher Parsons

This guy is from Detroit...not surprised he is so bitter.

Jan 28 - 11:32 AM

Logan Neves

Logan Neves

if you stay after the credits theres a post credit scene

Jan 28 - 06:17 PM

Tracy Flesher

Tracy Flesher

usually we stay till after the credits... this time we did not ... what was the extra goodie that was missed... please and thank you....

Feb 8 - 08:07 PM

Johnny R.

Johnny Rivas

It shows the alpha wolf dead.

Feb 19 - 01:30 PM

Logan Neves

Logan Neves

if you stay after the credits theres a post credit scene

Jan 28 - 06:17 PM

larkin86

larkin flynn

Sure it was ridiculous and had major gaps of logic but I enjoyed the hell out of it. Not every film can be pretentious oscar bait. Some of us sometimes just want to be entertained by fantastic trash!

Jan 28 - 10:49 PM

Gregory Eichelberger

Gregory Eichelberger

This movie had nothing to do with philosophy. It was all about pontification, bad CGI and stupidity. The most stupid thing was to leave a perfectly good shelter and head out into the wilderness. No aircraft in the world with a pilot and a stewardess is not going to be tracked. All they had to do was just remain there and they would have been rescued.
And don't even get me started on the horrendous conclusion.

Jan 29 - 03:54 AM

Alan Benson

Alan Benson

If they remained there, they would have all died quite quickly, long before a rescue plane found them. Very little protection from the elements from what I saw, not enough fuel for fires (for warmth and to keep the wolves at bay). Remember, they TRIED to remain there, and got attacked. And that was early on when they did have fuel, some airline food, etc.

Jan 29 - 05:37 AM

Ken Tamblyn

Ken Tamblyn

The forest was worse. There was no protection. The only reason they left the plane, was because Liam thought that they were in the wolf den. Ends up he was wrong. There were no reason to leave. According to Liam logic, the wolves would move on.

And what is the deal with dropping down a 1,000 foot cliff to avoid the wolves, and when they get down there, THE WOLVES ARE WAITING, oh and the den is actually down there too

Feb 1 - 05:19 PM

Nick Hylla

Nick Hylla

Tough Talk: That is usually how middle aged men who have spent their lives working in the heart of Alaska talk.
Bad Ending: How else would it end with him finding a cabin in the boonies of Alaska, or a plane randomly flying overhead and spotting one lone strangler in the grey.

Jan 29 - 01:33 PM

Doug Heimlich

Doug Heimlich

Bad Endings??? YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!!! Just because the ending wasn't neatly packaged into a typical predictable "closed story" Hollywood finale, you say it's bad?? The Ending was the icing on the cake for me. It allows the audience to go back to the bar and discuss over a good microbrew just how they each believe things progressed from there. I liked Hopkins and Baldwin evading Bart the Bear in "The Edge," but "The Grey" just kicked the intensity up about 40 decibels.

Ignore Long's review, people. Go see this movie. You will NOT be disappointed.

Jan 29 - 04:06 PM

Daniel W.

Daniel Walker

I agree. The ending made the movie for me. I would have been pissed if it had ended any other way.

Feb 13 - 07:48 PM