Critic Review - New York Magazine/Vulture

The Grey, despite moments of sublimity, is as predictable as a funeral. When Ottway angrily calls out to God, the nonanswer is sadly redundant.

January 30, 2012 Full Review Source: New York Magazine/Vulture | Comments (27)
New York Magazine/Vulture
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

Deacon Al Barros

Deacon Al Barros

Whaddya mean?! God led him straight to the den... lol

Jan 30 - 08:28 AM

Kevin Miller

Kevin Miller

And if a helicopter arrived that wouldn't be as Cliché?

Jan 30 - 03:09 PM

Jak Ciri

Jak Ciri

Exactly, I thought the way they did it with no answer was actually very "not cliché"
They actually did a good job of making much of the ending different than other movies of this sort.

Feb 4 - 09:34 AM

Kyler H.

Kyler Henderson

I Agree with Kevin M, would you honestly have enjoyed the movie more if "God" saved the day? What did you expect? It was like a hidden subplot conclusion from when Talget brought up the subject during their 3rd camp set up. I felt it made the movie a whole lot more real.

Jan 30 - 04:53 PM

Andrew McDonagh

Andrew McDonagh

the ending was the answer to his cry to God

Jan 31 - 04:57 PM

Rolando Marin Jr.

Rolando Marin Jr.

He calls god a fuck face!

Feb 2 - 10:35 PM

Tony Robbins

Tony Robbins

I love it when those good peace loving forgiving Christians judge everyone and tell them they are going strait to hell because they are perfect people.

Feb 11 - 09:27 AM

Kevin Roberts

Kevin Roberts

Amen.....no pun intended.

Feb 12 - 11:46 PM

Molly Crawford

Molly Crawford

Lol yessss

Feb 15 - 05:57 PM

Justin Powers

Justin Powers

Not all Christians tell atheists that they are going to hell. That's not how I was taught and most Christians that I know, consider every person in the world as a brother or sister under God's dominion. We can all coexist without hatred.

Feb 13 - 12:41 AM

John Cerrone

John Cerrone

God did answer his prayer... after the credits you see the wolf dead so i guess he didn't die.

Feb 13 - 12:49 PM

Matt Menzi

Matt Menzi

No, he says "I'll do it myself". The ending was him answering his own call.

May 18 - 08:21 PM

Sean Charman

Sean Charman

Yeah, the film would have been a lot more credible if Angels descended and rescued him!!

I think the film nailed it when all seems bleak we cannot expect divine intervention, as much as we call for it.

And I am a catholic.

As feeble a review as I have ever had the misfortune to read.

Feb 14 - 03:59 AM

Sean Charman

Sean Charman

P.S The reviewer didn't even work out that his wife was dead thinking he was separated.

Mr Edelstein, we rooted for the character because despite his personal turmoil his reason for living was to try and save those who had fallen beside him. When he failed that he called out to the heavens in anger/exasperation and helplessness.

We all would. None of us would receive a direct answer.

What a 2 bob bit hack you are Sir.

Feb 14 - 04:03 AM

John G.

John Genobli

Throughout the movie you are led to think that there is no God. At the end you are looking for God's redemption, and believe that there will be and this movie would be a christian journey of finding god. But there is no answer and the end is open for interpretation of God's existence.

May 27 - 07:48 PM

Joan Butters

Joan Butters

Turns out the wolf was his father all along

Jun 2 - 03:22 AM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

Is that tab or cube you are using?

Jun 3 - 08:12 AM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

You FINALLY got it right Edelstein!

Jun 3 - 08:09 AM

Elliott Bradshaw

Elliott Bradshaw

lol David Ebelstein xD who was stupid enough to hire you to the New York Magazine if you cant even catch this simple symbolism...

Jun 16 - 09:23 AM

Josef Novak

Josef Novak

Wow, David, how does it feel to have tomatoes thrown against your face? If I were critiqued so "savagely," I would rue the second I hit the click button to post my review.

Time for a career change...?

Jun 24 - 06:51 AM

John Martin

John Martin

What stupid excerpt from you dismal review. What would have been less redundant to you?

Aug 2 - 07:58 PM

Ed O'leary

Ed O'leary

I take most critics reviews with a grain of salt knowing that most of them have never written anything remotely creative and therefore make a living out of dissecting those that have. Its finding the one critic who enjoys movies, sees it the way that you do and in the end is trustworthy thus saving you the aggravation, time and money in seeing a film. David Edelstein, is not one of those critics.

Aug 7 - 06:48 AM

Ethan Nims

Ethan Nims

So you're saying it would have been less predictable if God suddenly sent a rescue helicopter and they were all saved? The movie wasn't about some shocking ending anyway. It was about a man coming to terms with his fate, which was death. In the end, he put up the last fight he had in him, but accepted that he would "Live and Die on this day."

Aug 27 - 09:05 PM

Cheren Matsumoto

Cheren Matsumoto

Good.

Sep 6 - 01:11 AM

Peter D.

Peter De Munnich

I can't believe this film was as well reviewed as it was. Nonsense from beginning to end. Surviving a plane crash ... leaving the shelter of the wreckage - to go where? ... wandering around without any kind of weapons ... abandoning their fire ... jumping off cliffs ... et. etc. and the nasty wolves?! Please!

Liam Neeson does his best. Some nice cinematography. But basically a load of B-movie hokum.

Sep 12 - 10:12 PM

Dillon McClarnon

Dillon McClarnon

Just wanted to make sure you realized what you wrote...Survived a Plane crash, Yes because thats completely unheard of. To go where? Umm no where obviously...did you even watch the movie or just kinda fast foward to parts with wolves? Anyways, I shall continue...Wandering around without any kind of weapons...Yep, Oh wait it would of been cooler if there were expert marksmans with their knives and could hit a target at 100 yards...or they should of found an old operational Sherman Tank at a remote tank factory hidden from the Japs in WWII. Abandoning their fire..Ok heres some logic, but if Im not mistaken it went out when they were in a blizzard and futilely trying to save their dead friend. Jumping off cliffs... Which is completely illogical is a desperate survival situtation. If you want true survival at its best. Get a cool new camera, a sh*t ton of batteries and just jump out of a plane in the middle of the barren Alsaska and bring back whatever footage you can, and I'll descredit this movie. Otherwise, Shut up. Oh one more. The nasty wolves? Nasty Wolves? Excuse me, but I would of never guessed that wolves would have nice coat of unmatted fur after murdering several deer, elk, moose, really whatever. Wolves have been known to attack bears if hungry enough and it would threaten their den. But since you think your their sooooo nice just go to you local zoo and just hop in a wolf cage. Tell me how cute and cudly and just how dull there teeth are. I cant wait to see you on the news.

Sep 24 - 10:46 AM

Erhard Penner

Erhard Penner

|Good movie but | didn't much care for the sopranos ending where it just fades to black , there could have been a better struggle and some more mauling .

Oct 25 - 09:45 AM