The Guilt Trip - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Guilt Trip Reviews

February 6, 2016
Disappointingly, this just doesn't work.
½ December 5, 2015
The Guilt Trip is a disappointing film. It is about Andy Brewster who is about to embark on the road trip of a lifetime. Seth Rogen and Barbra Streisand give horrible performances. The script is badly written. Anne Fletcher did a terrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
November 1, 2015
Two of the most unlikely celebs team up for an unexpected & almost touching mother-son relationship story. It's a movie that excels at several things, comedy not being one of them. A film that was advertised as a hilarious laugh-out-loud summer hit - however the laughs are few & far between but for a movie like this, that's ok. The toned down humour actually suited the film better I felt, rather than some outrageous OTT Seth Rogen comedy everyone expected.
½ October 2, 2015
Not the best actress miss Streisand , to play a enoying mother was oke , but me more liked Seth Rogen ...Kind story
½ March 4, 2015
Seth Rogen and Barbra Streisand has good chemistry, and there are some funny moments, but some moments really drag on and make this movie feel longer than 95 minutes B+
½ April 14, 2013
The Guilt Trip has enough charm and heart to act as a good comedy, but watching this more than once seems unlikely.
½ December 22, 2012
Not the movie that Paramount promoted. This is an emotionally intelligent film about an aging mother and middle-aged son. One of the best American films I've seen to take an honest, but sensitive glance into the relationship of mothers and sons. This is not a typical Hollywood bathroom humor movie nor is it a typical Streisand or Rogen movie. Even the synopsis is off on this site. Excellent performances and a quietly powerful film that will make you chuckle a few times but more importantly sparks ideas about parent to child and child to parent relationships. This film is grounded in reality. I strongly disagree with the majority of film critics who I normally tend to agree with. It felt like they went to a different movie. See it.
½ May 18, 2015
Screen legend Barbara Streisand is perfect as the overly doting mother, and it's interesting to see Seth Rogen branch out of his usual sub-genre of comedy.
January 3, 2013
Decent movie... funny at times. Not too slapstick... more situational humor and some people can relate very well, I'm sure!
½ February 20, 2015
Guilt Trip was an average comedy with a lot of heart. Seth Rogen seemed like he was just being himself, hanging out with his real mom because the on screen chemistry with Barbra Streisand was excellent. It was rather plain at times with them just going on a road trip across the US with a few stops along the way. As the film went on it got better and the jokes were never crazy funny but there were enough subtle laughs to make it worthwhile. The ending was great and really touching and this is a great one for mothers and their son to watch together. Don't go into this expecting the typical Rogen dirty laugh out loud comedy, but what it does bring to the table is a fun flick with a good message.
February 19, 2015
An awfully sweet comedy about a pair of mother and son on a coming-of-age road trip. A must-see for children who have overly protective mothers who worry too much, save too much, talk too much, dispense unnecessary advices too much and essentially, love their children too much.
May 19, 2013
The portrayal of the mother-son relationship was well picked and nicely done that has related connections and brought along the two h's: hilarity and heart; making this an hilarious recommended mother-son film. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
½ December 26, 2014
Very cute movie. I enjoyed the relationship between the mother and son. I liked the character growth that both of them develop. There is a mild happy ending where the romantic relationship development was only for the mother not the son. I felt the son got left out of cupid's arrow in this film which was somewhat of a disappointment and why I didn't give it five stars.
December 21, 2014
Despite poor reviews, we gave it a shot. It was great! Chemistry between the leads was all you could ask for a very satisfying, easy-on-the-brain movie. Had a tough week? Hit PLAY, sit back and enjoy.
½ December 17, 2014
The Guilt Trip is sweet, light-hearted, and warm...but it's also sappy and forgettable.
Harlequin68
½ December 14, 2014
In "The Guilt Trip," Andy(Seth Rogen) has just invented an organic cleaner that he plans to peddle to corporate stores around the country. While doing so, he also plans to bring along his mother Joyce(Barbra Streisand), not only to get her out of the house but also because he has also located her first love still alive in San Francisco.

You know you're in trouble if in trying to make a comedy, the best scene is a serious one, hinting at where the overall tone of "The Guilt Trip" should have been in the first place. I mean Seth Rogen has shown he has been able to drama and comedy before but shows he has no idea here of how to be the straight man and Barbra Streisand's once great comic instincts have apparently atrophied to very little over the decades. That leaves it to Brett Cullen to steal the scene he is in, with another highlight involving a strip club. Because otherwise all you are left with are the cliches of the road movie genre, with the accompanying overwhelming product placement. The saddest thing is this might be the closest we come to a big screen adaptation of "Middlesex."
December 27, 2012
Funny, Heart felt movie
October 24, 2014
I can't stand Seth Rogen, but I thought I'd give this a try because he's, for once, not playing a dumb stoner. Unfortunately for him when he's forced to play the "straight guy" he just seems really uncomfortable and out of his element. Barbra Streisand on the other hand is very good and she saves the film.
The story is pretty thin but I don't mind that if the characters are interesting, which they sort of are, in places..mainly Streisand. I don't know, maybe I'm being a little generous with this rating but I honestly don't think it's a bad film, it's just a bit empty.
On the flip side, I was never disinterested and had an alright time watching it, so I'm not going to be harsh.
½ October 9, 2014
Considering I'm not a Barbara Streisand fan AT ALL, I was hesitant about seeing this movie. Thanks to JetBlue, I got to see it for free. Fortunately, I wasn't just a captured audience. The chemistry between Babs and Seth Rogen was very natural. In what I thought would be a goofy comedy ended up being an adorable, heart-warming romp with mother and son where lessons were learned by both and wonderful memories were made. I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it.