The Guilt Trip - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Guilt Trip Reviews

½ May 12, 2013
This was actually a great movie. The chemistry between Seth and Barbra was great and the movie turned out to be very laughable (especially with the family) as well as emotionally stirring. Any son who loves his mom will appreciate this movie.
October 28, 2014
Funny! Love the mom role.
½ February 20, 2015
Guilt Trip was an average comedy with a lot of heart. Seth Rogen seemed like he was just being himself, hanging out with his real mom because the on screen chemistry with Barbra Streisand was excellent. It was rather plain at times with them just going on a road trip across the US with a few stops along the way. As the film went on it got better and the jokes were never crazy funny but there were enough subtle laughs to make it worthwhile. The ending was great and really touching and this is a great one for mothers and their son to watch together. Don't go into this expecting the typical Rogen dirty laugh out loud comedy, but what it does bring to the table is a fun flick with a good message.
February 19, 2015
An awfully sweet comedy about a pair of mother and son on a coming-of-age road trip. A must-see for children who have overly protective mothers who worry too much, save too much, talk too much, dispense unnecessary advices too much and essentially, love their children too much.
June 7, 2013
It's not BAD, but it could be a lot 'faster' and funnier. Love Barbara Streisand though, just lovely.
½ February 1, 2015
This certainly isn't one of the best road trip films out there, but it also isn't the worst. Guilt Trip falls somewhere in the middle, purely for the fact that it doesn't go for insane amounts of vulgarity, which is a blessing and a curse. The film follows a mother and a son who take a road trip to Los Angeles for business. The film's first issue was the casting of Seth Rogen. His vulgar humor is obviously toned way down for this family friendly film, but he doesn't do much of anything outside of get mad and yell. Yes, it can be argued that there is always someone like that in all road trip films, but at least those films provide humor with a firm foot on the tone they want. Another issue is the tone. The film goes from comedy to sappy melodrama and back and forth repeatedly, and the film and pace suffers. The only real saving grace is Barbra Streisand, who actually appears to be committing to the role and giving her character some type of dimension. By the time it ends, the film is decent, but not as good as it could have been.
May 19, 2013
The portrayal of the mother-son relationship was well picked and nicely done that has related connections and brought along the two h's: hilarity and heart; making this an hilarious recommended mother-son film. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
January 3, 2015
It's kinda dull. There's emotional drive there, but there aren't enough jokes there either. Not a whole lot happens.
½ December 26, 2014
Very cute movie. I enjoyed the relationship between the mother and son. I liked the character growth that both of them develop. There is a mild happy ending where the romantic relationship development was only for the mother not the son. I felt the son got left out of cupid's arrow in this film which was somewhat of a disappointment and why I didn't give it five stars.
½ December 23, 2014
You know for the bad ratings, it wasn't bad, though I didn't laugh as much as I thought I would
December 21, 2014
Despite poor reviews, we gave it a shot. It was great! Chemistry between the leads was all you could ask for a very satisfying, easy-on-the-brain movie. Had a tough week? Hit PLAY, sit back and enjoy.
½ December 17, 2014
The Guilt Trip is sweet, light-hearted, and warm...but it's also sappy and forgettable.
Harlequin68
½ December 14, 2014
In "The Guilt Trip," Andy(Seth Rogen) has just invented an organic cleaner that he plans to peddle to corporate stores around the country. While doing so, he also plans to bring along his mother Joyce(Barbra Streisand), not only to get her out of the house but also because he has also located her first love still alive in San Francisco.

You know you're in trouble if in trying to make a comedy, the best scene is a serious one, hinting at where the overall tone of "The Guilt Trip" should have been in the first place. I mean Seth Rogen has shown he has been able to drama and comedy before but shows he has no idea here of how to be the straight man and Barbra Streisand's once great comic instincts have apparently atrophied to very little over the decades. That leaves it to Brett Cullen to steal the scene he is in, with another highlight involving a strip club. Because otherwise all you are left with are the cliches of the road movie genre, with the accompanying overwhelming product placement. The saddest thing is this might be the closest we come to a big screen adaptation of "Middlesex."
August 4, 2014
It's good for what it is but I wasn't impressed. Story seemed to drag on quite a bit.
½ December 7, 2014
It's been a while since I saw it but I remember really liking it.
½ December 2, 2014
Very underrated. The Guilt Trip is effectively funny and heartfelt. 74/100
March 28, 2014
Wasn't really excited for this but I liked it
December 27, 2012
Funny, Heart felt movie
November 13, 2014
Rogen as a scientist? Yea not buying it. Also not funny enough.
October 24, 2014
I can't stand Seth Rogen, but I thought I'd give this a try because he's, for once, not playing a dumb stoner. Unfortunately for him when he's forced to play the "straight guy" he just seems really uncomfortable and out of his element. Barbra Streisand on the other hand is very good and she saves the film.
The story is pretty thin but I don't mind that if the characters are interesting, which they sort of are, in places..mainly Streisand. I don't know, maybe I'm being a little generous with this rating but I honestly don't think it's a bad film, it's just a bit empty.
On the flip side, I was never disinterested and had an alright time watching it, so I'm not going to be harsh.