67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

The Heartbreak Kid Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 25, 2012
The Farrelly Brothers have made some terrific, hilarious comedies in the past. Some of their films are modern classics and are still funny time and time again. However with The Heartbreak Kid, they make their worst film. I found the film to be unfunny, and tiresome with a cast that simply didn't bring anything good to the screen. I felt that the film could have been much better, and though it had an interesting idea, simply didn't do anything for me. The Farrelly Brothers have made better films, but this film just didn't have what their previous films had. Even with some comedians on-screen, the film didn't possess anything memorable. The gags really didn't hold up, and grew tiresome after awhile. Also I felt that the paper thin script lacked despite its unique idea. I felt that the story could have been more elaborate, and that overall the Farrelly Brothers are starting to lose their touch as comedic filmmakers. As the film unfolded, it just got worse and worse. I really didn't enjoy this film, and I felt that it had so much potential of being a very entertaining film. Unfortunately this is one bad film that uses its comedy in a really bad way. I barely laughed and I was bored most of the time. The Heartbreak Kid simply doesn't have the same charm as other Farrelly Brothers comedies. This is their worst film, and afterwards I simply avoided their films. If you're expecting something good from this film, you'll be sadly disappointed. The Farrelly Brothers are passed their prime, and have yet to return to the making great comedies. This film was bad, and I was expecting more from this, I was great disappointed with this one. An almost laugh free comedy, The Heartbreak Kid is a film to avoid.
Phil H

October 10, 2007
I like the Stillers allot, most comedies Ben makes are really fun, light hearted and usually spoofy, this has the added bonus of having his dad Jerry in there with him. Together they are great, Jerry is hilarious (check 'The King of Queens') and Ben always hits the right note to make your day seem alittle better, the everyman's man.

This is a tad similar to some of his previous films, mainly 'Meet The Parents', the poster is even close, but its so enjoyable and the characters are all very likable. The humour is just right, you can relate to it, it has alittle slapstick and also quite sharp here and there. Its all very predictable of course but that's OK, this is just a fun ride to make you feel good, nothing to special though.

'if your wife asks you to cock her hard on her honeymoon, then you cock her hard god dammit'
blkbomb
blkbomb

March 10, 2011
Doc: Now listen to me and listen to me good! When your wife, on her honeymoon, asks you to cock her, you cock her good, God damn it!

The Heartbreak Kid is a decent enough comedy. I haven't seen the original, so I have nothing to compare it to. The movie isn't great by any stretch of the imagination and is actually quite dull in sections. There were enough characters I liked to make the experience worth the watch. The first part of the movie is the funniest because of Jerry Stiller and the way he speaks to his son about sex. Rob Coddry has a small, but decent role. I always like Danny McBride. But in the end Michele Monaghan saved this movie. Ben Stiller is alright, but he can't hold up a movie by himself. He just doesn't have enough presence to pull that off.

The Heartbreak Kid centers around Eddie Cantrow who has been unsuccessful with love and has fears about getting married. He then meets a seemingly great girl Lila. In order to keep her from going to Europe for her "job." So he jumps into marriage early and learns that Lila isn't as great as she once seemed.

Not a very good comedy, but there's enough to make the experience somewhat enjoyable.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
I'll pay a compliment to Ben Stiller and say this was his best work. It was extrememely funny and I admit that I quite enjoyed it. 8/10.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

July 5, 2009
Quite funny and peculiar, I enjoyed it alot.

Eddie is forty, owns a sporting-goods store, and is still single. After watching his ex-fiancée walk down the aisle, he meets Lila, an environmental researcher, who seems too good to be true. Pressured by his father and best friend, Eddie pops the question and marries Lila after only 6 weeks. However, as he almost instantly discovers, his new bride is a nightmare with more baggage than he can handle. She's immature, foolish, a monster in bed, owes a tremendous amount of money to various sources, and as it turns out, is only a volunteer and doesn't actually have a job. While on their honeymoon in Cabo, Eddie meets Miranda, a down-to-earth lacrosse coach who is visiting with her family. Sparks fly, and Eddie falls for her. Now comes the tricky part of breaking off his marriage to crazy Lila, all while keeping the truth from Miranda about why he's in Cabo in the first place...
Richard C

July 21, 2010
C
Jens S

October 24, 2007
It was about time someone cast Jerry Stiller as Ben's father, although the full potential of that combination is not used. The movie still starts out really funny, and once Malin Akerman shows her true face she easily steals the show and proves a lot of guts for everything her character has to go through. You'd expect jokes way below the belt from the Farrellys and there are quite a few from a whole new level, that made me laugh and shake my head at the same time. Sadly, somewhere around the middle, things get a tad too regular and although the film never gets boring, it loses some of its charm and turns into a rom com. At least the end twist makes up for some of that, so no regrets for Ben Stiller fans here.
Dean !

October 3, 2007
I'm not a big fan of Ben Stiller to be honest, but found this film ok. Still not up there with the likes of There's something about Mary. However it is better than some he has done. It has quite a few funny scenes and some raunchy ones to for a Rom-com?! Overall a good cast, a bit cheesy in places but an ok film overall.
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

June 8, 2009
Yes, the Farrelly brothers did it again! A romantic comedy full of bizarre situations, funny characters, peculiar misunderstandings, weird sexual scenes, and most of all, lots of fun! It's a typical Farrelly comedy with all these ingredients I did mention but it also does an interesting "analysis" about the young married couples relate nowadays, with plenty of discussion and intolerant behavior.

I appreciated that feature but what I did enjoy the most was the typical Farrelly humor of course. There're great funny scenes with all the absurdity that characterizes their movies.

I also enjoyed the ending, which I generally don't when watching romantic comedies, but this one is a different one, so it really deserved a nice ending as it has? Ben Stiller is funny as he uses to be and did a regular job.

I score it 3 stars, especially for the bizarre (but really funny!) humor.
James A

March 28, 2010
Rob Corddry was the only good thing in this boring comedy that has little to no laughs after the first 25%.
EightThirty .

March 14, 2010
14/03/2010 (TELEVISION)

Its pretty stupid really, but I had fun watching it although it gets irritating sometimes.

"Ben Stiller" is more like "Ben Stupid!", he is fond of taking on roles that involve idiocracy, embarrassment and stupidity at its maximum point... And I love it!

This is not a masterpiece or what not but its got laughs and a few smile crackers to kill time.

...Oh, just a note of warning, there's a few spicy scenes that I didn't expect and it surprised me while my grandparents were sitting not far from me. Not a cumfy feeling at all!
Conner R

January 7, 2010
I think it's probably the best Farrelly Brother's movie since Me, Myself and Irene. They brought a lot of their old style back and I really think it payed off. Ben Stiller was great as well as Michelle Monaghan, not to mention Jerry Stiller being as priceless as ever. While I didn't like a few of the characters (Carlos Mencia), overall, it is an above average comedy.
Stuart B

October 6, 2009
Good comedy that gets better the more times you see it. Fave bit is the Mariachi band.
Anthony L

October 6, 2009
I only watched this for the fantastic Jerry Stiller, I though a Stiller father and son film would be quite funny. Not really the case I?m afraid, a couple of funny scenes aside, there ain't much going on here! Although this film is a loose remake, it feels as if the Farrelly brothers made it up as they went along and by the time you get half way, you just want it to be over. Shame really as it didn?t start off too badly. Watch it for the scene with Jerry Stiller and Kayla Kleevage in a hot-tub in Vegas but nothing more.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

November 29, 2007
oooooh man so disappointed with this movie, i was expecting so much form this movie and it just didnt deliver!!
the story is boring and supprisingly not as funny as the trailer made it out to be and i was shocked because Stiller usually gives a hilarious erformance it whatever he does!!
Is it worth a watch? maybe not or maybe only when there is absolutely nothing else to watch~!!!
Red L

May 31, 2009
A movie about meeting your soul mate while on your honeymoon and all the troubles than result. Mediocre movie at best.
Alice S

March 27, 2009
I'm unsure about the donnee of this movie. Throughout the first half, it seems that infidelity/adultery is okay as long as you're going for your true love. However, the ending (after everyone presumably learns their lessons) shows Eddie cuckolding his new wife for said true love again. That makes me wonder if this movie isn't just love-conquers-all claptrap, but some kind of satire on infidelity/adultery. Amorous amorality has become the norm. I could respect the movie for that, but honestly, I don't think that is its intention.
Lewis C

March 13, 2008
It's difficult to not compare The Heartbreak Kid to Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and it doesn't do well in that comparison. The latter outperforms the former in nearly every possible way. Ben Stiller isn't at his funniest here, but he does manage to do ok in a few funny moments. Michelle Monaghan was the bright spot for me, she is a great young actress and handles romantic comedies just as well as she does any other genre of movie.

Ultimately, The Heartbreak Kid just isn't as funny as it should have been. There were only a few laugh out loud scenes, and there were long stretches of the movie that were just boring. The story was as predictable as possible, and none of the actors really seemed to be trying that hard. Rob Corddry, Carlos Mencia, Jerry Stiller, Danny McBride...they're all just doing the exact same bits that you've seen them do before. I have to admit that Mencia was kinda funny, though.

And as far as the R rating goes, it doesn't really add much to the comedy. There's some nudity, sex, and cursing, but none of that makes the movie any funnier/better. Sure, I'm not gonna complain about seeing Malin Akerman's goods, but if that's your reason for seeing this movie, you'd do better to track down her scenes from Entourage. You're guaranteed to have a better time watching those.
thmtsang
thmtsang

October 7, 2007
Ben Stiller is great in romantic comedies. He is the last bachelor and under pressure to commit after he sees his ex get married, he takes the plunge and marries a girl he tried to help in a mugging. But while on honeymoon he meets the girl of his dreams. Very funny.
Dan S

October 11, 2007
Starts out with a lot of laughs and good comedic dialogue, then begins its slow decline into formulaic love story, followed with a final act that proves to be a massive failure. Stiller has the right amount of comedic smarts to make this watchable for only a little while, but the minute Carlos Mencia tries to sneak him back into the country, you know you've just wasted about two hours of your life for only a few laughs.