The Heat - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

YodaMasterJedi
May 16, 2014
three stars
½ December 26, 2013
An outrageously funny and ridiculously enjoyable good time. A fast, frequently funny and very entertaining buddy comedy. Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy are a sensational comic duo. They work surprisingly well together and deliver some great lines of dialogue and big laughs. McCarthy of course steals the show with her comic charisma.
November 27, 2013
Funny stuff! I got a lot of chuckles from this unlikely duo. Sandra Bullock is ALWAYS entertaining, even when the script isn't. Melissa McCarthay is a freaking hoot in this!. She really didn't have to drop the F-bomb nearly as much as she did, but it didn't seem to bother me as much as some other movies. Guess I was going along for the fun ride that it was...
FiLmCrAzY
July 18, 2013
I love this movie so much! Its like having an American female version of Nick Frost and Simon Pegg! I want more of those too working together! A funny, enjoyable loveable movie!
½ November 18, 2013
Basically the same as "The Other Guys" -- mildly funny throughout with a couple of big laughs. Melissa McCarthy is always hilarious, and Sandra Bullock plays this kind of role better than anyone else.
November 10, 2013
Female helmed comedies just don't come around that often, and good ones are very sparse as well. Director Paul Feig is creating a standard for women in comedy with this film and "Bridesmaids." Both star Melissa McCarthy in roles that aren't all that pretty, which is great, since it shows women can be in varied roles in comedies, not just the pretty wife to the main character, or a bikini clad co-ed. Not only are the characters complex, interesting, bitter, and strong, they are always funny. Though Bullock is donning the harried career woman persona for the umpteenth time, she is, as always, flawless in the role. That and there's less quirky charisma to this film, but more hardline badassery. This could easily be categorized as a thriller as well as a comedy, because it deals with serious and very dark subject matter that includes murder, torture, drug abuse, and actual crime. The criminals in this film aren't cartoonish thugs with whiffle ball bats and salacious anecdotes. They kill with affinity, threaten willingly, and they actually scare. Besides that there are scenes so gross and inescapably black, that you have to laugh. It's rare that a comedy has a really interesting plot and side characters, but this film works on so many levels. That and it's unapologetically funny. It can't be said enough, that this film is absolutely hysterical. In the beginning of the film McCarthy's character seems a little overdone and limp, mostly because she continually swears. After a while her swears become endearing, another flaw in her immensely complex character. Bullock too seems banal, but when they meet, and start working together, it's a comedy pairing made in heaven. I knew they were both very funny and accomplished actors, but they need to make more films together, because they are two very interesting and talented women, and more women need to be in films today.
October 25, 2013
Aaaah the old buddy cop action flick, there has been so many, what could they come up with to make the genre a bit more fresh?. Well not much...accept this time the cop duo are female so that's a bit new...right? well kinda. This time one half of the duo is an uptight, virginal, jobsworth that does everything by the book, the other half is a slobby, foulmouthed, loose cannon that does everything somewhat haphazardly. Wait...ha..have we see this type of thing before?? nah must be me.

So the fat ugly bird and the thin wet bird gotta work together to take down a drug lord. Thing is they both hate each other and how they each go about their duties so there's gonna be a whole lot of fighting and bickering going on. Spoiler alert! they both manage to get on and eventually end up working well together and sticking up for each other, tell me you saw that coming.

Wow this film was annoying! I mean really, this is the second film I've seen with McCarthy in it and both times I've hated her character. I've come to the decision that she's probably like this in reality, loud, rude and annoying (dare I say typically American hehe). She just comes across as a completely unlikable person, I see what the aim is here in this film but geez I just wanted her to get shot in every scene. There was only one moment in the entire film that made me laugh, when they're both in the nightclub and she buys a drink at the bar only to discover it costs $14.

As for Bullock, I've never been a fan...ever. Every role she plays she is the same type of person...a wet, floppy, sappy drip who looks exactly the same with that dull hair style. In this she merely boosts that dreadful stereotype she has tenfold and is so utterly unfunny, unsexy and useless. Of course I realise this is the role she is playing but the fact they cast her in it just shows how closely the character matches her.

We get the usual load of typical cop movie cliches throughout, hell we even get the exact same sequences from other films. How many times have we seen a perp hung out of a window for comedic affect?. There isn't much action going on, mainly a whole lot of swearing in grimy sequences involving seedy people and the family of McCarthy's character. I believe these family scenes are suppose to be funny? cos they came across as aggressively uncomfortable and again annoying. The kind of people you watch from your house window as they make total fools of themselves in the middle of the street. Again I realise you could say that's good acting and film making but I just found it unlikable.

On the whole I liked how they didn't beat around the bush and have made an adult comedy thriller instead of a PG fest. Its just a shame they cast who they did and couldn't really divert from a very tired old formula...a really tired old formula. Nice soundtrack throughout but overall it didn't stop me feeling rather low the whole time, until it perks up for the predictable soppy ending.
MANUGINO
½ July 18, 2013
The Heat is coming.

A mediocre funny movie! This is undoubtedly a sloppy and predictable comedy, but it does provide some laughs and Sandra Bullock gives an exceptional performance. I normally like Melissa McCarthy, but her style is waring out and she is steadily becoming extremely annoying. It is what it is, a generic comedy.

Sarah Ashburn, an FBI agent, is extremely ambitious and has her eye on a promotion, but she doesn't get along with her co-workers. She is sent to Boston to uncover the identity of an elusive drug lord, Mr. Larkin, by tracking down his proxy, Rojas, and is told that she'll have a good shot at the promotion if she finds Larkin. When she arrives in Boston, she learns that Larkin has been eliminating his competition and taking over their operations. She learns that Rojas is in Boston PD custody and goes to see him to ask him what he knows about Larkin, but is warned that the cop who arrested Rojas, Shannon Mullins, is very territorial, and she is not exactly sociable. When the two meet they don't get along. When Mullins learns why Ashburn is in Boston, she decides to find Larkin herself. Ashburn is told by her boss to work with Mullins, but it won't be easy because Ashburn does things by the book while Mullins does things her way.
½ September 9, 2013
The Heat is a 2013 American action-comedy film written by Katie Dippold, edited by Bellah Mae, and directed by Paul Feig. The plot centers on FBI Special Agent Sarah Ashburn and Boston Detective Shannon Mullins, played respectively by Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy, who must take down a mobster.

Heat not so hot here, Hollywood has a new genre of films comedies that do not have any laughs in them. Actually this genre has been around for a while and this simply the latest in a long line. Sandra Bullock used to be a good actress but nowadays she is just another journeyman/woman making movies for a paycheck.

"The Heat" was basically just a series of scenes from other (better) movies. We had the at odds with the boss scene,the scene that identified our two heroines as being misunderstood by all their colleagues. The getting drunk together bonding scene, the silly dance scene, the stepping on the toes of another law enforcement agency scene, the turning from a shrew into a mean mother scene,the captured by the bad guy scene, the escape from the bad guy scene, the capturing the bad guy in the nick of time and saving someone scene and finally the former screw up getting a medal scene.

A collection of movie clichés without any empathy at all with the audience. Did we care about any of the heroines? I know I did not. One a cop who swore all the time and treated her boss like dirt and the other the polar opposite.

Oh how we laughed as these two found common ground and began to work together for the good of the community. No wait a minute. We did not laugh as there was not one remotely funny scene in the whole bloody movie. What a rubbish film.
July 9, 2013
Main fault is it is a little long for the genre, but this was a pretty good comedy. Lots of laughs and Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy make a really good pair.
The scene with the guy choking on the pancake, though. Argh! I had to not look.
Yes, it gets a bit silly at times, and Melissa is extremely over the top, but if you just want to have a laugh and not think too hard, this might be a good choice.
½ July 7, 2013
Bullock plays Felix Unger, McCarthy plays Oscar Madison, and they're the Odd Couple, and this week the boys are trying to breakup a drug ring ... only they're not boys and therein the one note gag here. Understanding that, and this becomes merely a personality vehicle carried entirely by its stars who do alright (altho the obligatory comic dance scene becomes increasingly tedious), only one wishes they'd something of better quality to work on. At best a second or third choice DVD night, or a warmup flick.
½ July 13, 2013
"The Heat" doesn't strive to break new ground. It's a movie that just wants to entertain you. It puts all pretensions aside and instead trusts it's two leads to deliver the goods... and sell what is a very familiar story and setup. Melissa McCarthy in a glorious display of comedic dominance does so single handed... and Bullock surprisingly not only keeps up but holds her own. These two are dynamite together and are a lot of fun to watch. So is the movie.
ajaymuthecooldevils
July 24, 2013
If I had asked a question who's the funniest girl in the planet nowadays? I had some nominees and Melissa McCarthy's name is in that nominee.. To tell you the truth, If Bullock wasn't paired with her I don't know if they two really can be 'The Heat'.. Bullock is funny, just like what she already shows us in two movies of 'Miss Congeniality' or another rom-com she played before.. But the heart of this movie was definitely Melissa because of her straight-forwarded behavior that made everyone just raise their eyebrows, can I say anything like that publicly and act like that? Well she just make everybody jealous! But overall, this movie is totally rock my a** off!
½ July 22, 2013
A routine and predictable buddy comedy elevated by the talented duo of Bullock and McCarthy.
July 19, 2013
It's mainly unfunny, irritating, and at times unnecessarily gruesome. Due to its odd mixture of cheap humor and violence, the film is vastly uneven. McCarthy is a brilliant comedic performer, and though she does deliver the film's only few good moments (emphasis on the few) the bad writing does not do her justice. It is incredible how every single comedy film borrows from the others that came before--and not the elements that make any of them successful one bit.
July 12, 2013
Though McCarthy's usual antics are present and still funny, not much else draws the audience in. A droll plot and no other engaging characters in sight, Feig and company depended a little too much on McCarthy and her improvised ramblings.
Nate Z.
July 16, 2013
Essentially a buddy cop movie with the typically macho roles swapped out to women, The Heat is an intermittently enjoyable action comedy thanks to the chemistry between Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy. The joke ratio of hits to misses has a lot of whiffs but I laughed solidly every ten minutes or so, some of the comedic set pieces were well developed, and McCarthy's strong ability to improv saved many flailing scenes. I enjoyed that these two women were seen as professionals and didn't need to be bogged down with the kind of plot elements you'd find in your standard Katherine Heigl vehicle. There isn't a romantic interest nor a love story; in fact, various guys come up to McCarthy throughout asking why she hadn't called them back after a one-night stand. It's a little thing but it establishes that a woman like McCarthy's can have a fruitful love life and have it be no big deal. The overall plot about a dangerous drug baron with a mole inside the government is given more complexity than necessary, and I'm not sure the action bits feel well integrated into the movie as a whole. Part of this may just be because director Paul Feig (Bridesmaids) seems much more interested in grounded, human comedy, but I think it's mostly because we'd rather be spending more time with our leads arguing. Bullock and McCarthy are an engaging team, their comedic styles nicely ping-ponging off one another, and there are enough ribald gags to justify watching it. The Heat isn't revolutionary by any sort but maybe, in the end, that's the point. Also it's got Dan Bakkeddahl (TV's Veep) as an albino DEA agent. So there's that too.

Nate's Grade: C+
Dr114
July 16, 2013
We've all seen a movie like The Heat before. It relies on the same type of buddy cop dynamic and cliches that have been done hundreds of times before. But despite similarities and an overdone plot, it's still a very funny movie. Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy are what make this movie better than it should be. Also, it has a lot of cameos by hilarious people (even though they're extremely under used). I wasn't even going to see this movie. I had plans to see Pacific Rim, but I didn't make in time, so I saw this instead. Some things in the movie felt forced, but you come to expect these types of moments in a movie like this. Overall- It's much better than I though it would be, but nothing too memorable. Letter Grade: B-
½ November 29, 2012
Just as good as your typical Marky-Mark buddy cop comedy, and I like to support the ladies.