Movies Like The Hedgehog

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

The Hedgehog Reviews

Rubia

September 16, 2010
"My parents are rich, my family is rich and my sister and I are basically rich. But, in spite of that, in spite of all this luck and wealth, for a long time now I've known I'm heading for the fishbowl. A world where adults bang like flies on the glass. But I know one thing. The fishbowl isn't for me.".

Paloma is a bright little girl that decides to commit suicide on her 12th birthday. Once the important is not how or when but what you're doing
when you die, she decides to make a film to show how absurd life is.
In the beginning she didn't convinced me, but now I remember of Le Diable Probablement and I can see some similarities between Bresson's character Charles and her: they don't have the "common" agnst or deep sadness that used related to suicidal people, but a feeling of certainty and, conequently, unadjustment.

Mona Achache works up such a difficult subject with humour and sensitivity. The images of Paloma's film in contrast with the film itself are great and the drawings, adorable.
I just didn't like the dramatic-expected fairytale/love tale.

February 19, 2014
"The Hedgehog" starts with 11-year old Paloma(Garance Le Guillermic) filming herself talking about killing herself on her twelfth birthday in about 165 days. In the meantime downstairs, Renee(Josiane Balasko), the concierge, goes about her daily business. So, as one old tenant dies, Kakuro(Togo Igawa) arrives to take his place, along with a love of literature.

Well, you certainly have to give "The Hedgehog" this much. As unique as it is, equally combining sweetness and darkness, the movie gets right to the heart of the matter by grabbing the viewer's attention right away and gently never letting go. Overall, with its references to multiple art forms, including literature, movies and painting, the movie is about the imagination, with a character at the center who has an overactive one while ironically not being able to imagine much of a future for herself, just as Kakuro and Renee indirectly remind her that it may never be too late. At the same time, the viewer has to use his imagination to think about what Paloma's life may be outside of the apartment building where the movie is entirely set except for a brief visit to the cleaners. Not that it is her fault, but I think her depression comes from being bullied on the playground, as her kind of precociousness and weirdness never go over well there. Plus, we never see any friends in the apartment.
PantaOz
PantaOz

January 15, 2013
This is an odd movie with a touching story, adapted from the international best seller The Elegance of the Hedgehog. I have to say that I never heard of the French filmmaker Mona Achache before, and my surprise was very pleasant, smart, funny and warm film!

The story is told by the 11 year-old Paloma (Garance Le Guillermic) and is telling us that she has decided that life is not worth living, and that most of the people around her exist in a pointless fishbowl that will only end in suffering. She informs us that she intends to end her life on her twelfth birthday, which will take place in 153 days... and everything starts rolling from there in a real tour de force!

Paloma is adorable even with her round eyeglasses and striped shirt, carrying a video camera wherever she goes. She is documenting the ridiculous and therefore tragic lives of the fishbowl people she lives among. The other two major characters in the story are the elderly Japanese man Kakuro Ozu (Togo Igawa) who moves into Paloma's building, and the building's janitor Rene Michel (Josiane Balasko), an overweight woman with no friends and a cat. Somehow, this trio (melancholic Japanese man, the depressive Paloma, and the gruff Hedgehog - janitor Rene) manage to bring out the best in each other. Charming performances, very well directed, perfect story - and here it is: one of the films you'll remember forever! Do not miss it!
August 1, 2012
"The Hedgehog" is a tour de force that carries subtle nuances of everyday lives into a new level...and weaves them into a bundle that pleases the eyes, just like the book.
Otageemeur
September 24, 2011
"The Hedgehog" is a french movie based on the acclaimed book "The Elegance of a Hedgehog". It is the story of Paloma Josse, a young and very smart girl, who hated the status of her family: rich but ordinary people. Due to that fact, Paloma prepared her own suicide for her 12th. During that time, a new neighbour, Kakuro Ozu, is arriving in the building that will change the life of the concierge, Renée Michel. Renée Michel is basically the main character of the story since she is the "hedgehog": hiding her love of reading due to her concierge's status. Paloma will try to discover more about Madame Michel and Renée will be engaged into a love story with Kakuro...
The movie is trying to let us understand a certain philosophy about life that may be hard to catch because of the slowness of the movie. However, I enjoyed the slow-paced and the various scene related to the concierge, somehow blooming thanks to the arrival of Kakuro in her life.
Slow-paced but interesting storyline makes that moive to be okay in my opinion.
April 19, 2014
Superb! I wish American films could be this good....I suppose I will have to learn to speak French.... I Don't mind subtitles...but sometimes I feel I loose some of the meaning by not being able to understand the language of the film. Still, this was an intellectual and stimulating film that reminded me of my own childhood. While I can't say I found it hopeful, as many reviewers have stated...it sweetly suggests that our perceptions determine our reality.
April 1, 2014
very good film. WAY better than the book

February 19, 2014

January 4, 2014
Prepare yourself for a feels trip
December 28, 2013
Sometimes it's the way one bites into life that makes all the difference.
December 13, 2013
Honestly the greatest movie I have ever seen.
October 13, 2013
Interesting, amusing, and ultimately touching philosophical journey, from that truest perspective of childhood, finding the importance of love among the hypocrisies of life.
December 3, 2013
Absolutely captivating movie. Highly recommended.
October 14, 2013
A lovely, wonderful, touching little film about the meaning of how we live our lives with excellent performances by young Garance Le Guillermic and Josiane Balasko. This type of film is what the French do as no others can.
October 20, 2013
A lovely film (based on the book) that takes place in Paris, about the unlikely relationships between a precocious 11-year old, a surly concierge who is not who she appears to be, and an aging Japanese businessman. Touching, whimsical, and oh-so-French in the best way imaginable. Loved it. Can't wait to read the book now.
October 16, 2013
Loved it, gasped out loud in one part.
October 9, 2013
this movie is a gem! just imagine if hollywood could make a movie about life and death without having to blow up the universe , tell a great story w superb actors, the usual touch of french surrealism to delight, with a great director.....profound without trying to be .. just see it.
PetrosTser
October 8, 2013
This is a film you can easily diss. But it's almost as easy to get carried away by the plot and the characters. The precocious Paloma might be seriously unlikeable and the whole thing might at times seem pretentious, but it's difficult to resist the - at times sweet and at times bitterly sad - storyline or, for that matter, the central message, the struggle of the uncompromised.
July 29, 2013
One day at school, our french teacher decided to let us watch this movie, I did not really expect to like it that much....
To my surprise, it did. This French film is a really interesting one at that, it manages to tug on my heart strings for being one of the more unique stories that I have seen in a while, and people say that the Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie trilogy is a beautiful thing (It is not.). I am not going to give away the ending, but let me tell you... it will leave you in tears. This is a film that I would recommend for those who want to enjoy something special, if I could watch this one again... it would be fantastic.