• Directed By:
    Tate Taylor
    In Theaters:
    Aug 10, 2011 Wide
    On DVD:
    Dec 6, 2011
  • DreamWorks Studios

brilliant film

I absolutely loved this film. I did not read the book but hear it is every bit as good or better. I really appreciated the fact that it is clearly about race relations but the film is able to go much deeper than a normal discussion of race. Who had ever thought about the fact that these kids were essentially raised by "the help" and were as close to them or closer than they were with their own parents? The director also intertwined a lot of outstanding humor at the right moments so a 2 and a half hour, deep, intense film flies by.

Minny and Aibileen were fantastic in their roles. However, I was also particularly impressed with Emma Stone. She played this young, altruistic, intelligent, down to Earth young woman so effortlessly and effectively. Often these roles can become cheesy with the character being too perfect but that was not the case here. It's funny because I've seen her in a completely different type of movie, Easy A, playing a current day high school student with very similar traits. She can play 1960s progressive in MS or 2005 California high school kid in the same way that works perfectly in both.
Matt S.
04-4-2013 01:09 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Matt S.

Matt Smith

I re-watched this and realized it's a documentary of racial segregation and civil rights in the deep south with an overlay of Mean Girls (the girls are just a bit older and are supposed to have more responsibility which just makes it that much scarier).

I also was very impressed with Jessica Chastain. I'd only seen her in Zero Dark Thirty and had NO idea it was her. Two of the amazing paradoxes of this film:
1) blacks were good enough to raise the richest families' kids but could not use a bathroom
2) the trailer park trash, airhead blond is the only one of the women other than Skeeter that actually has a clue.

Apr 4 - 04:45 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile