The History Of Future Folk - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The History Of Future Folk Reviews

PantaOz
April 20, 2014
Can you imagine a film that incorporates elements of drama, romance, comedy, sci-fi plus lots of catchy songs... and that at the end almost everyone likes it!? It is hard to imagine, but this movie is one of the kind, and it manages to be adorable with all of the above in it! Director John Mitchell's debut has it all - aliens bent on world destruction, boy-meets girl/boy-gets-girl, action adventure, and a soundtrack which will follow you for days even if you are not a fan of that kind of music. Unique and charming, this piece of real film art will have you humming and repeating the word "Hondo" long after you've finish watching it.

This film is actually setting the background story of the futuristic folk duo Future Folk, who have been performing to packed crowds in and around New York and Brooklyn for several years. Using their alien personas and building a thrilling backstory around them, the film manages to please the crowd and bewitch us all at the same time while we together follow the hilarious adventure that lives up to its tag-line: Probably the only alien-folk-duo sci-fi-action-romance-comedy ever made!

I have to say that Jeremy Kipp Walker is the real star of this project together with the main protagonists. His recent producing credits include "It's Kind of a Funny Story" starring Zach Galifianakis; "Half Nelson", for which Ryan Gosling received a 2007 Best Actor Academy Award nomination; "Cold Souls" starring Paul Giamatti; baseball odyssey "Sugar"; Moroccan-based thriller "The Passage" and the deep space thriller "Europa Report". Impressive, but none of them reached the smoothness and satisfaction like his directing debut - this one The History of Future Folk. He previously co-directed the award winning short films "Super Powers" (Best Narrative Short Film Award - 2007 Tribeca Film Festival) and "Goodnight Bill" (Jury Award for Best Short Film - 2005 Austin Film Festival; Audience Award for Best Live Action Film - 2005 Palm Springs International Short Film Festival; Jury Award for Best Short Film - 2005 New Orleans Film Festival and a Best of Fest Screenplay Award - 2005 Rhode Island Film Festival). I am looking forward for the next film!

If you are in a mood for a gentle and infectiously joyful family-friendly comedy about aliens who call off an invasion of Earth because they're charmed by earthlings' music, chose this one. You should be feeling invigorated after watching it. In fact, if that does not happen, please watch it again. You definitely did something wrong the first time.
December 28, 2014
What can I say about this movie? Absolutely nothing negative! I loved every second of it, and every element of it. What a wonderful and original tale of Captain Trius from Hondo. Who could every believe his wild tale of eliminating the entire race with a viral bomb?! No one, especially those at a little bar (ran by Dee Snider) where he plays his stories in song. But like any animosity, your past catches up with you. And there always comes a time, when you must save the world!
½ January 10, 2014
What a good story. It's fun and quirky. Being unrated, I wasn't sure what to expect, but this was good, clean fun. There's something incredible to the story, as well. The two members of Future Folk Hondonians, General Trius and Mighty Kevin, are supposed to destroy the humans living on planet earth, but each are converted from their task when they get introduced to music.

Apparently, humans are the only creatures in all of space that have created music. And Trius and Kevin are unable to end the lives of a species that could discover such a gift. What's especially incredible is that even when they are wronged or hurt by their fellow humans, music keeps them from hating and exacting any kind of vengeance. You even find that it is natural for them to use their music to try to change and help others for the better.

As Dostoyevsky would say, "Beauty will save the world!"
½ December 23, 2015
"HONDO" is all need be said.
½ November 28, 2015
Possibly the worst movie I have seen in more than a year
October 13, 2015
While I love a good indie film, especially ones that involve music and are made with passion, I found that the bare bones script, poor acting and bland direction let this film down. The real life duo, Future Folk, lend their musical talents to the movie, and any time they are performing, the screen lights up, but a movie about aliens that come to destroy earth but end up falling in love with music should have been a lot more entertaining. The film has a lot of heart, no doubt about that, but I just couldn't get over how predictable everything felt, despite the bold premise. Given that the film only grossed $15, 000, it is no surprise it was shot on next to no budget, but none of my problems with the film have to do with the production side of things. In fact, I loved the costumes, the setting and the cheap visual effects. I just need a bit more story out of my films. Only check this out if there is nothing better on Netflix or you love a good movie soundtrack. 2 out of 5 stars.
½ September 1, 2015
Good natured, sincere, funny, artistic.
½ June 27, 2015
It's really difficult to say the plot of this movie without also wincing and making excuses. A general from another planet, sent here to kill the inhabitants of Earth in order to make room for his fellow facing-imminent-peril Hondonians, discovers music and changes his mind. Excuses would be superfluous, though, because this movie is wonderful.
There are next to no special effects. Aside from the occasional laser beam or rocketship, the main visual that alien's are even involved is the jumpsuits they wear, complete with a bucket-esque helmet. The action sequences, too, are distilled, all the way down to a single karate chop that apparently has the power to knock someone out. The minimalism shown is what really makes this film. The focus lies not on the fantastical story but on the complex feelings that arise when being forced to choose between your old home and new.
D'Aulaire gives the movie gravity while Klaitz helps it soar. They clearly feel comfortable with each other the way that bandmates after a decade should. All in all, it's just plain fun. Definitely a movie to watch.
May 22, 2015
found it on netflix expecting it to be a run of the mill corny sci-fi, fell in love with it and would totally have it on my top ten list. this is the coolest way to get people into your band.
March 17, 2015
Love this delightful flick. Comedy, music, outer space...it's as if they know me! Saving the world with blue grass, banjo, guitar...of course!
March 13, 2015
Probably the greatest Film in the history of either Hondo or Earth!
March 5, 2015
a really good little sci-fi film!
March 1, 2015
The low budget rarely hurts this highly inventive film, loaded with charm and some great tunes. However, the story may be a bit too rushed or unbelievable for some.
June 11, 2013
A suprisinly fun and entertaining film with some very serious cult classic potential. I never realised that I love intergalactic bluegrass until I experienced Future Folk, now I am hooked on it! I bought the album the moment the credits started rolling... 5/5 Stars from me.
December 26, 2014
Loved it! Bought the soundtrack as well.
½ September 21, 2014
funny - loved the music too
July 22, 2014
My new favorite movie!
July 19, 2014
It wasn't spectacular, but it was *good* in almost every way possible. ;)
½ June 6, 2014
Bizarre to a fault but also to its benefit. Future Folk manages to have enough quirk, laughs, and music for a weird movie night.
May 2, 2013
what a great film!! a very honest and beautiful indie film!! loved it!