Top critics (20%) fresh vs Rest of critics (84%) fresh

20% (4R/1F) fresh amongst the so called "Top" film critics on Rotten Tomatoes. Yet amongst the rest of the movie critics it is 83.5% (5R/25F) fresh. Wait to see how more Top Critics reviews rate, but the difference between the elite and the rest is staggering so far. A case of critic snobbery with this near 3 hour, supposedly dragged out first entry in a 3 part fantasy movie series based on "thin book"? Surely not ;)?
Anthony Pearson
12-9-2012 01:58 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Alex Alexander

Alex Alexander

That mean's one thing...
Critic and general public/customers have different point of view... if you consider yourself a top critic level, hear them.

Dec 12 - 10:23 AM

Thom Stone

Thom Stone

"mean's"? what does that mean?

Dec 12 - 12:27 PM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

Snobbery? More like professional experience. What have you done that I should give your opinion more credence than someone who is paid to review movies for a living? You are on a movie review site, after all. I await your answer with bated breath! Wait, nevermind: It's obvious you've already tricked yourself into believing this movie can do no wrong, so why does it even matter what others think so long as they agree with you, right? Leave it up to the fantasy nerdbase to split hairs and argue semantics over a movie about midgets walking around. Typical strategy of the failed intellectual: go after the people who have the facts, whose opinions hold sway. Even with a gracious 75% fresh you just can't let it be. Get a life, and a new hobby. Like not being a virgin.

Dec 9 - 08:33 PM

Cody H.

Cody Halpert

Whoa, we got a badass over here.

Dec 9 - 08:35 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

It seems nearly every thread on here is a critic-hate-fest. The ones who've actually seen the fucking movie.

Dec 9 - 08:37 PM

Dylan  J.

Dylan Jones

The guy wrote this thread isn't really on a critic hate fest, he's just throwing out some numbers that he thought would be interesting to talk about. But then we have idiots like In Your Dreams who reads threads like these and automatically assume that the writer is a "fanboy".

Dec 9 - 08:46 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

I understand, as you see, I have contributed to this thread. But it is true, many of these threads are based on hating on the critics and their opinions on the film.

Dec 9 - 08:50 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

I agree with In Your Dreams on some aspects, on others, like his tendency to outright insult people, I don't agree with.

Dec 9 - 08:55 PM

Thom Stone

Thom Stone

i've seen that too. it's funny how passionate (or ignorant) some people can be when their expectations for how good a movie will be doesn't match up with how people, who've seen the movie, have rated it. "how can you not have liked it? i read the book and saw the trailer. it will be amazing. *lists completely unfounded reasons as to why the critic is wrong*"

Dec 10 - 05:50 AM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

Yeah, he's tricked himself into believing that the movie can do no wrong and you've tricked yourself into believing that the movie will be 100% awful. You don't present a strong argument when you use hypocrisy to address it. He's biased and you're obviously biased too. And it probably wouldn't matter if every critic gave this movie a great review because you're just determined to hate it.

Dec 9 - 08:40 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

...When (where) did he ever say that he even disliked the movie? He said he disliked people like YOU.

Dec 9 - 09:28 PM

Thom Stone

Thom Stone

i think he just dislikes people being stupid and is lashing out.

Dec 10 - 05:45 AM

Anthony Pearson

Anthony Pearson

Hey, I ain't going to lie I want to like this movie, and I wasn't bashing critics as a whole at all. All I was doing was highlighting the major swing between top critics and the rest. Maybe I was being a bit harsh to suggest snobbery, but it may not be wrong to suggest film snobbery does exist amongst critics. I have to admit though, I only read about a third of your post as I saw the typical keyboard warrior statement at the end, not surprising coming from someone hiding behind a name like "In Your Dreams." You don't know me matey and I certainly don't know you. Your argument would be fine if you just weren't acting like an absolute bellend. I appreciate everyone else's reasonable comments.

Dec 10 - 02:37 AM

Thom Stone

Thom Stone

to be fair, this was a more reasonable comment than some others he's written. i must say that i agree with many of his points, but not the tone in which he's delivered them.

Dec 10 - 05:47 AM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

haha, the people posting here....

The top critics score, I would imagine, will get better when more of them come in.

Dec 9 - 07:29 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

Get better...OR GET WORSE!?

Dec 9 - 07:37 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

To me, looking at the average rating is more important than the tomato-meter score. If a movie has a 90% but only has an average rating of 7/10, it's not really a fantastic film despite it's glowing 90% score.

Dec 9 - 02:06 PM

This comment has been removed.

David Tanny

David Tanny

It's right underneath the tomato-meter score. And I agree, it should be more emphasized. All these people bashing critics, when in reality, most of the reviews aren't scathing. It's getting average reviews, which isn't horrible. The current 7/10 isn't bad at all.

Dec 9 - 02:19 PM

Anthony Pearson

Anthony Pearson

Ah I see now thanks. It's average review rating amongst the top critics is 4/10, so a significant difference still.

Dec 9 - 02:40 PM

Thom Stone

Thom Stone

the average rating is 6.2/10, not 4/10.

"TOMATOMETER Top Critics: 20%
Average Rating: 6.2/10
Critic Reviews: 5
Fresh: 1 | Rotten: 4"

Dec 9 - 02:42 PM

billfaces

h h

Agreed, but the issue with taking the average rating as it is right now is that all those reviews which have no assigned rating have no effect on the average. The number of reviews that have been added so far is already rather small, but the amount of reviews comprising the overall rating is measly.

Dec 9 - 03:02 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

@h h, so I guess any kind of rating on RT has to be taken with a grain of salt. Until they've all been processed at least.

Dec 9 - 03:05 PM

Anthony Pearson

Anthony Pearson

Average Rating: 4/10
Critic Reviews: 5
Fresh: 1 | Rotten: 4

This is the copy and pasted info what I get when I click the top critic tab on Hobbit's RT page.

Dec 9 - 03:46 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

I also noticed you say "all critics" has an 84%, but I see a 74%.

Dec 9 - 03:49 PM

Anthony Pearson

Anthony Pearson

I never said all critics, I said the rest of the critics (so minus the the top critics). Had to use my own ropey maths to figure that one out. It's too much a ball-ache to figure out the average rating though of all critics, minus the top critics reviews.

Dec 9 - 04:02 PM

Anthony Pearson

Anthony Pearson

Sorry, not seen the Top Critics average rating. Where can you find that? I just looked on the Top Critics section. I know what you mean about some films that are given 90% scores and have average ratings, somewhat misleading considering the main thing you hear about and see is the % score. Perhaps RT should put more emphasis on their average ratings system.

Dec 9 - 02:18 PM

Thom Stone

Thom Stone

the top critics are part of the overall critics. the main point you should look at is the top critics average has 6.2/10 and all the critics average has 7/10. not as big a difference as you might have thought going by the tomatometer.

Dec 9 - 02:03 PM

Anthony Pearson

Anthony Pearson

Apologies, 5 rotten, 24 fresh amongst the rest of critics so around the 80%/81% mark.

Dec 9 - 02:00 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

Well, it may be 20%, but the average rating of 6.2/10(last I checked) isn't terrible. Give it a rest already.

Dec 9 - 01:59 PM

This comment has been removed.

David Tanny

David Tanny

It very well could. I don't know.

Dec 9 - 03:52 PM

bob  j.

bob jones

only one of the 5 critics gave it a rating.

Dec 9 - 07:52 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

Yup. Blows a big gaping hole in my logic. OH WELL.

Dec 9 - 07:54 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile