Are Critics completely irrelevent

People are going to enjoy the hell out of this movie, and the entire trilogy.

So why do the Critics even bother with their elitist, snobbish reviews? I suppose the paycheck is a good enough reason... but isn't that rather narrow and unfulfilled?

I can't imagine doing a job that literally did nothing good for anybody, nothing important to society at large. Doing a job that is entirely about self-promotion and self-importance.
Justin Buell
12-10-2012 01:00 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

nubcake

bob bob

Description does apply to Armond White, but reviews can be helpful suggestions and stamping out the REAL bad stuff.

Dec 14 - 03:45 PM

Thom Stone

Thom Stone

they're irrelevent (i think you mean 'irrelevant'), elitist, snobbish, they do their reviews mostly for the money (which is narrow and unfulfilled), their job does nothing good for anybody and is not important to society at large, and their jobs are about self-promotion and self-importance?

wow, those are quite a few claims. why are you even on a website that's dedicated to movie reviews if you have such great disdain for reviewers? your wide ranging and blanketing generalizations of movie critics is off base and not supported with any evidence. yes, some critics are that way, just as some every day people are that way.

what exactly is your point in starting this thread? i think most people disagree with your unfounded, and heavily biased, claims. it appears you're just trying to start shit.

Dec 10 - 04:14 PM

billfaces

h h

If you find them irrelevant, elitist and snobbish, what are you doing in RT?

Dec 10 - 03:41 PM

Thom Stone

Thom Stone

because he likes to start shit.

Dec 10 - 04:01 PM

Beleg72

s long

everyone is entitled to their opinion, why these people are judged to be better than the rest of us at doing this is a mystery. all critics(music film novels)tend to be a bit snobby. as for the Hobbit critics who are giving negative reviews thats up to them. If they are judging the film on the 48 frame rate though its bad as thats not the actual film they are judging and they could see it in good old 2D like I will be on the 13th. Comparing it to LOTR is also a mistake as the Hobbit is a much simplar tale-with a lot less at stake that Rings. The 3rd common moan is the oposite to the last one when critics want to know why a simple book is now 3 movies, simply they don't get the fact that the Hobbit was written in a simple style for kids and if Tolkien had written it the same way as LOTR it would have been 600 pgs longer. It is also important that all the other stuff thats been added is in the movie as it adds to the story as the book only sees things from Bilbos point sofor example when Gandalf leaves the Dwarves before they enter Mirkwood we don't experience his adventure after this in the book as it only follows Bilbo, in the movies (2nd one I reckon) we will see what Gandalf does when he leaves. If all the added extras are really needed I won't know until the 13th,but from what i've heard most of it is.

Dec 10 - 02:18 PM

Bill Edmunds

Bill Edmunds

Generally I find critics a huge help when deciding on whether to watch a movie I know little about. Roger Ebert has pointed me in the direction of a lot of good movies that I had never heard of. With a movie like this, I'll see it no matter what the reviews say for the simple reason that I'm interested in the material. That said, I have lowered my expectations a bit based on what critics are saying about it; perhaps I'll enjoy it all the more if I don't agree with them.

Dec 10 - 01:47 PM

Thom Stone

Thom Stone

i use them to help determine if i might enjoy a movie or not. there aren't very many movies that are critic proof for me, really. if the avengers had ended up with a crappy rating, i probably would have avoided it.

Dec 10 - 04:04 PM

Facebook User

Facebook User

Well, I'm partially in agreement with you.

I'd agree that many seem to be approaching this film from the wrong perspective; expecting this to be similar in nature to the LotR adaptions, and all their Oscar worthy awesomeness. Truth is, and it's been said over and over, the books are very different from one another, and as such, so too should the films be different from one another. That some of the reviews I've read come off as incredibly pretentious against a film that has none (let's be honest, Jackson is almost juvenile in his lack of pretension) definitely shows that this acceptable but disappointing score is likely a little undeserved.

That being said, critics do have an important job. They impart their opinions on the ignorant and allow them to see a perspective they might not have considered when approaching this film. They often times help us save money by avoiding poorly reviewed film, etc. The Hobbit will go beyond the word of mouth for at least the first two weeks, because it's just that epic of a franchise, but the property may come to suffer in it's third week. I doubt even Tolkien's work can transcend the power of the press.

That being said, I humbly look forward to a long, drawn-out, visually amazing, and completely nerdy time at the Hobbit. Going for anything else is tom-foolery.

Dec 10 - 01:11 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

Where is In Your Dreams when you need him.

Dec 10 - 01:11 PM

Thom Stone

Thom Stone

haha. yeah.

Dec 10 - 03:59 PM

This comment has been removed.

Justin Buell

Justin Buell

The problem is critics aren't representative of the average joe. A few are... but unfortunately the over-educated snobs are the ones who get the most press.

Dec 10 - 01:12 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

The average Joe isn't going to enjoy this movie, because apparently, it's Middle Earth nuts only. Which I'll admit, I'm a part of, but based on what I'm hearing, average viewers will probably be bored.

Dec 10 - 01:15 PM

Justin Buell

Justin Buell

I saw it with two friends, one who is not a LOTR nut. She loved it.

Dec 10 - 01:19 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

Okay man.

Dec 10 - 01:20 PM

Retardo M.

Retardo Montalban

Meh, fuck the average Joe.

Dec 10 - 01:21 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

Go away, leave RT, and never come back. Your logic is that for this one movie -- this ONE movie of the hundreds, thousands that come out each year -- because you disagree with some of the critics they shouldn't exist at all.

I would write more, but I think you're just being a troll to incite a reaction, so yeah :/ Some people just try too hard.

Dec 10 - 01:07 PM

Justin Buell

Justin Buell

No, I disagree with them on many films.

I don't even know why people bother listening to them anymore.

They're like the Weatherman... except the Weatherman is usually more accurate.

Dec 10 - 01:08 PM

Retardo M.

Retardo Montalban

Hey you've seen it right? If I remember you're one of the people that posts on IMDB that has seen it, unless I'm mistaken.

Dec 10 - 01:03 PM

Justin Buell

Justin Buell

Indeed.

But I'm not answering any questions on here!

Dec 10 - 01:06 PM

Retardo M.

Retardo Montalban

Nah that's fine. I don't want spoilers anyways.

Dec 10 - 01:07 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile