People do realize that this is not JUST the Hobbit, right?

Peter Jackson was on a mission to include way more of the backstory than the book could accomplish, and I feel it worked out well so far without things needing to be cut from the film. THAT'S why it's being split into 3 movies. Deservedly so, I feel.
Evan Barnes
12-14-2012 05:05 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Tom Ross

Tom Ross

It does a fairly good job in drawing the many connections between The Hobbit and the eventual Lord of the Rings saga. My friends who saw the film with me (who have zero knowledge of any of the lore) found it incredibly fascinating and were enthralled by the film.

Dec 15 - 12:39 PM

Jared Wegenast

Jared Wegenast

Exactly! I loved how it appeared like the Hobbit but was so much more.

Dec 15 - 12:21 PM

This comment has been removed.

Troy Douglas

Troy Douglas

Holy shit, how can you live with yourself knowing that you are such an uneducated, rude person? At least he offered a valid viewpoint.. you just came in here and drooled on yourself.

Dec 15 - 12:13 PM

Joshua Coles

Joshua Coles

totally in agreement with Evan here. I think missing that is the critics biggest mistake and why most Tolkien fans get it and they don't.

Dec 14 - 10:57 PM

D P.

D P

That really doesn't help the movie. The Hobbit is a fun little story on its own, it doesn't need to be blown up to epic proportions.

Dec 14 - 07:59 PM

Matt Hastings

Matt Hastings

you do realize that The Hobbit was originally a one off story, it was small because at the time the idea of the Lord of the Rings wasn't even there. That's why it's so small. If The Hobbit was written with LOTR in mind then it would've been longer and had more in it.

Dec 15 - 12:46 PM

Tom Ross

Tom Ross

Tolkien himself even wished to rewrite The Hobbit to incorporate this very thing. Unfortunately he passed before he could do so.

Dec 15 - 12:50 PM

Starbaby

Starbaby Miniverse

No, he realized it DIDN'T work, it lost its charm and appeal as The Hobbit, and wisely abandoned it.

Dec 15 - 01:55 PM

D P.

D P

And yet it wasn't written that way.

But fanboys seem to want to have it both ways. If a critic says its too light in tone, they say that they're unfairly comparing it with LOTR. If critics say the movie is too bloated, they say that the critics aren't taking the extra material into account.

Dec 15 - 08:16 PM

Lancol E.

Lancol Et

Funny that it's called "The Hobbit." its amazing that people would assume it was about the book of the same name.

Dec 14 - 05:11 PM

Evan Barnes

Evan Barnes

Most of the story is the Hobbit, but it expands on other stuff that ties up the story of Tolkien's Middle-Earth. As an avid Tolkien fan, this pleases me like nothing else.

Dec 14 - 05:13 PM

D P.

D P

As a moviegoer, it sounds incredibly boring.

Dec 15 - 09:31 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Well, technically it's called, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. That would be the first clue there may be more.

Dec 15 - 12:36 PM

Thom Stone

Thom Stone

have you not read any other threads on here? this has been said many times.

Dec 14 - 05:07 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile