Rotten Tomatoes viewer ratings scewed.

Have you noticed how on Rotten Tomatoes, when the movie is first released it usually has a higher positive score which normally dwindles over the days and weeks. Like the Hobbit, I have watched it's viewer ratings since last night and "mysteriously" the number of people who have watched it has remained the same 148,951. So all of a sudden Thursday evening comes around for most movies and there is a large number of people who afterwards log on Rotten Tomatoes to rate a movie that hasn't been released in most areas yet and a high number of people have given it a much better rating than it will likely have after it has run it's course. Then by Saturday afternoon, no one else has watched the movie and rated it on rotten tomatoes. So rotten tomatoes actually has something that skews movie ratings for the positive to incite people to want to go see them. Then after a time, it allows other people's rating to be registered and lower the movie viewer ratings.
Trent Evenson
12-15-2012 01:53 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Djordje Cerovic

Djordje Cerovic

I dunno. At metacritic audience score is 8.5.

Dec 15 - 03:47 PM

David Eppler

David Eppler

I to have noticed this. Technically there cannot be an explanation for it other than outright falsely skewing ratings. But then again, the "ratings" are not official, just viewers supposed opinions of a movie. Therefore RT isn't doing anything illegal or legally actionable by lying so therefore they do it. Welcome to the machine...

Dec 15 - 03:23 PM

Lancol E.

Lancol Et

Cool theory bro

Dec 15 - 02:33 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile