Criticizing Critics

I've told my friends plenty of times that if the critics don't like it, I probably will. Jackson knocked this out of the park and, just like The Lord of the Rings, I know the next two films will have even more speed. He set a great foundation for the next two with this one and somehow managed to keep it riveting at the same time. The extra material is all added from actual Tolkien works which is greatly appreciated by any of Tolkien's fans. I guess my questions are 1) If you paid good money for your ticket, why are you flippin' upset that you actually got your worth out of it timewise and 2) why are people upset that we actually get to spend at least one extra movie in Middle Earth? I'm in no hurry to leave it behind.
Corinna Kauffman
12-16-2012 06:49 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Corinna Kauffman

Corinna Kauffman

I find it interesting that the critics are slamming the length, but if you look a the critic ratings for Django (which is 4 MINUTES shorter than The Hobbit) they give that nothing but glowing reviews. My theory validated. If this had been the FIRST movie that had been released of Tolkien's works-in other words, if Jackson had done The Hobbit before he had done The Lord of the Rings- this movie would have a much higher rating. They went into the showings expecting it to pick up in intensity and thickened plot where The Return of the King left off. Not possible when you're setting the stage for a whole new trilogy.

Jan 4 - 04:56 AM

D P.

D P

The difference is that Django has an actual ending.

Jan 4 - 07:01 AM

Facebook User

Facebook User

TOLKIEN WAS A PEDO ANYONE WHO IS A FAN OF HIS SHITTY BOOKS IS SUPPORTING A NONCE KIDDIE FIDDLER AND YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED. I WIPE MY ASS ON HIS BOOKS MAKES GREAT BOG ROLL.

Dec 16 - 10:44 PM

Matt Hastings

Matt Hastings

Geordie please be quiet for a little bit, I respect your opinion to have an opinion but you're now giving me a headache over reading the same thing over and over again from you. We get it, you don't like The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, or Tolkien. Now please just go away for a bit.

Dec 17 - 05:39 AM

D P.

D P

If the extra material draws away from the main story, it isn't necessary. Critics have to judge it as a movie, not as an adaptation.

Dec 16 - 09:27 AM

Matt Hastings

Matt Hastings

Actually...that's exactly how they're supposed to judge it. The Hobbit movies are an adaptation of the book so it must be judged as such. And the extra material is actually critical in the entire Lord of the Rings story.

Dec 17 - 05:24 AM

D P.

D P

Nonsense. Rey are reviewing the movie as a movie.

Dec 17 - 05:40 AM

Matt Hastings

Matt Hastings

which is perfectly fine. Just know that the added material is important for the story as a whole (Hobbit and Lord of the Rings)

Dec 17 - 07:57 PM

D P.

D P

I respectfully disagree about it being important to The Hobbit. I really don't feel it adds to thevHobbit.

Dec 19 - 09:34 PM

Serena Celestine

Serena Celestine

I completely agree with you there. I have to wonder how many of these critics have actually read the book (I'm guessing not any at all). Those who have read the books know not to expect this to be LotR. However, I think that's exactly what the critics were expecting. The Hobbit is much more of a fairytale, childish and a lot less grim than the LotR trilogy. I think Jackson did very well at retelling to the original Tolkien story. The critics should pick up the book and really get to know know what they are talking about before thinking themselves experts on this movie.

Dec 16 - 07:16 AM

D P.

D P

They are supposed to be experts on MOVIES. That should not require outside reading. As well, many of the critics specifically write about their own experience with the books.

Dec 16 - 09:25 AM

Alexander Loucks

Alexander Loucks

This was an amazing MOVIE. Most of the general public that have never read the books agree. For some reason the critics have all latched onto this idea that it drags on in the beginning which is simply not true.

Dec 16 - 11:15 AM

D P.

D P

It did for the critics.

There's no big conspiracy. They just didnt like it.

Dec 16 - 11:19 AM

Serena Celestine

Serena Celestine

I'm simply saying that if they knew the book and the story better than perhaps they wouldn't be so critical of the supposed 'dragging on' of the storyline (I didn't actually find the beginning to be dragged out whatsoever). I think their problems comes from expecting this to somehow be another Lord of the Rings, and not having the mindset that this is a completely different film.

Dec 16 - 12:42 PM

D P.

D P

Except that when they complain about the added material, the movie's defenders point it that it's in LOTR. which is it?

A movie needs to work on its own, not with supple,entail reading material.

Dec 16 - 02:03 PM

Corinna Kauffman

Corinna Kauffman

When the success of a movie is largely determined by the quality and accuracy of it's adaptation from a book, then yes. The critics do have to take that into account. For example, if the film makers had wildly deviated from Harry Potter, they would have had a riot on their hands from true fans. And as far as the movie working on it's own apart from the books, in my opinion it did that phenomenally as well. Just like The Fellowship of the Ring wasn't anywhere as fast paced as the Return of the King was, the first installment here is doing a lot of set-up. I think a lot of people came from the post-Return of the Kind mindset and weren't expecting this to not be as fast as that was.

Dec 16 - 10:35 PM

Serena Celestine

Serena Celestine

I completely agree. People walked into this expecting Lord of the Rings. Let's face it; with the trilogy (especially the last movie) such a success, expectations were obviously raised to ridiculous levels for this movie. If The Hobbit had been released BEFORE any LotR films existed, I think the critics would give it very high praise, rather than (subconsciously) comparing it to the trilogy, as most people will unfortunately do.

Dec 17 - 12:50 AM

D P.

D P

Sorry, but that's not how critics work.

Dec 17 - 05:41 AM

Corinna Kauffman

Corinna Kauffman

I can say that the critics DON'T work when there's almost a 20% discrepancy between the thousands of fan reviews vs. the couple dozen critic reviews. And I completely agree. I think they were expecting it to be like LotR. It would have scored much higher by them independently of the LotR trilogy. Which brings it back around to...it's important for them to know what the book is like. THAT'S the reason for the major percentile discrepancy. The fans knew what to expect and were not disappointed.

Dec 17 - 07:17 PM

D P.

D P

So by that standard is Breking Dawn Pt, 2 one of the best movies of the year? Or is that only true with some fans ?

Dec 17 - 07:33 PM

Serena Celestine

Serena Celestine

Breaking Dawn pt 2 actually got some pretty good reviews(Not that I really agreed with them). However, if there comes a point where the audience is saying one thing and the critics another, you have to wonder what's caused that split. I think some of the critics have had a 'bandwagon' mentality. And, as I said earlier, The Hobbit is ultimately going to be compared to the LotR trilogy despite being of a different pace and atmosphere and overall a completely different film. If the LotR trilogy did not exist, and critics therefore had no preconceptions and expectations, I think this film would have received very high praise.

Dec 18 - 01:52 AM

D P.

D P

How can they have a "bandwagon " mentality when they have little to no knowledge of what the other critics will say?

Dec 18 - 05:18 AM

Corinna Kauffman

Corinna Kauffman

That's the beauty of the free country we live in DP...well, assuming you live in the US. But you have the right to your opinion, be it right or wrong. I'm just saying, when the critics are so far off the general populations opinion, it becomes extremely obvious at the core they are just people paid to share personal opinion and it may not always...or usually...hit the mark .Definitely happened this time around. Clearly you agree with the critics on this movie. I personally agree with the thousands of people who love this movie and will be paying to see the next two. On opening night.

Dec 19 - 09:30 PM

D P.

D P

I hate to make the comparison with Phantom Menace, but I bet of you polled fans a week after it was released, you would get a big disparity between fans and critics. .however, it has not aged well, to say the least. I'm guessing in a year or two this wont hold upas well as Fellowship does.

Dec 19 - 09:37 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile