The critics were right about the length and pace! It killed it for me!

I just watched the Hobbit last night and to my surprise I was very disappointed. It was still a quality production, mostly, the world building was impressive, cast was great, though some action scenes and CGI characters were laughably stupid and cartoonish.

This the guy whose eyes stayed glued to the screen for the whole 200 minutes of the Return of the King when it came out 9 years ago and just 10 minutes into the Hobbit was getting anxiously bored already!

I just took an film editing class over the Fall Semester and learned an important quote from Walter Murch, called likely the greatest editor in film history, and what he said about editing:
?Always try to do the most with the least. {...} attempt to produce the greatest effect in the viewer?s mind by the least number of things on the screen. Why? because you only want to do what is necessary to engage the imagination of the audience - suggestion is always more effective than exposition.?

The Prologue was TOTALLY NEEDLESS! Unlike the Fellowship's prologue that revealed a distant history that can't be revisited and characters of the time that play their part and won't reappear, the Hobbit's prologue is revealing everything that we'll see later in the films. Not only exact places, but even the same characters.

There are quite a bit of details that won't be relevant until about the 2nd film, but they're telling me now?

Having the inherent dislike between dwarves and elves would have been fine and explained the specific history of how the elves of Mirkwood never helped the Dwarves of Erebor. But explaining that away already, they seem to play all their cards too soon, leaving no new character revelations for the next films.

I know the exact relationships among the clans of elves, men, and dwarves already.
I know their exact treasure horde they're after. What was point of showing that stone already?
Even the the look of the mountain and caves tells me what we'll see exactly.
NO new surprises for the 2nd film.

See, all this explaining is more directed at us the audience on what is going on exactly, as fans already of Middle-Earth (We wouldn't have given them that much leeway at first) and we know more than our main character, Bilbo Baggins when he should be the vehicle of the story.

It would have been more interesting if we hear these details bit by bit through the eyes of young Bilbo only. That would be a juxtaposition into Middle Earth again to experience things through fresh eyes again than be told nostalgically that rids all forboding danger.

But that's just the beginning of the editing problems this film had. If you're at all interested, I would reply with dozens of other scenes that could have been stronger by one rewrite or even easier simple re-editing, because editing is the one distinguishing element in film.
Robert Lenski
12-17-2012 11:30 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Jane D.

Jane Doe

Same here, saw it today.... Let's just leave it BOOOORING... Sorry and that 3D HFR didn't help it much, completely destroyed the fantasy of the Middle Earth. I'm disappointed!!!

Dec 17 - 04:33 PM

Robert Lenski

Robert Lenski

"I guess the worst is behind us." I hope so.

Dec 17 - 05:01 PM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

I agree. Saw it Today, incredibly disappointing.

Dec 17 - 04:27 PM

Robert Lenski

Robert Lenski

At least 5/10 for me.
"I guess the worst is behind us." I hope so.

Dec 17 - 05:01 PM

Dingbat Charlie

Dingbat Charlie

Inb4 slobbering fanboy rage

Dec 17 - 04:07 PM

kyle Knaus

kyle Knaus

LMAO i just took an editing and sound post production class too during the fall.Walter Murch is the jesus of editing. I agree

Dec 17 - 11:37 AM

Robert Lenski

Robert Lenski

This would have been a great 2 hour and 15 minute film at least. He could have still have his 3 films if he just kept the most important bits.

If there was one thing I would start with, without question it would be everything around Azog. There wasn't a terribly lot to his character which made him a waste of time. He should have been kept in the shadows, not even knowing he's alive until Goblin King said he was.

Dec 17 - 11:43 AM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile