This movies's percentage is INACCURATE. I'd say it should be at least above 75. Perhaps in the 80s, but not in the 90s.

65%? Another example of the occasional inaccuracies of the tomatometer. There are plenty of extremely mediocre movies in the 60s. The Hobbit is NOT in the same realm as those lackluster and uncreative movies. I admit, the Hobbit wasn't perfect, it had some flaws, but it did have it's memorable and amazing moments that redeemed the other scenes.
Tom S.
12-28-2012 03:49 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

hollis m.

hollis mills

nahh

Jan 5 - 03:11 PM

Bernhardina Hörnstein

Bernhardina Hörnstein

Here in Sweden the reviews were fresh at about 80% but I suppose they wouldn't include a review in swedish... -.-

Jan 2 - 08:06 AM

Beleg72

s long

If 60% is the cut off point for a film being fresh/rotten, then why have some critics who gave this film 3/5 (60%) or 2.5/4 (63%) giving it rotten?? Surely if 60%+ is the point of freshness then the critics should give a fresh score in line with their review score if that is at the 60% level. I cannot believe some critics who have posted it rotten with scores like 3/5 etc. surely for Rt to be credible there has to be consistany? As for those joker critics giving this 0.5 or 1 out of 5 - thats just attention seeking. At least with $700 Million in just 19 days its box office taking seem to be not effected by the 1 in 3 poor reviews.

Jan 2 - 03:03 AM

D P.

D P

Critics choose whether they want their review listed as fresh or rotten.

And really? You're pointing to box office?

Jan 2 - 05:32 AM

Beleg72

s long

if critics choose then surely there must be a line that they should agree on for fresh/rotten, its stupid that 2 critics can score a film 3/5 but one give fresh, the other rotten? it makes little sense to me.

Jan 3 - 04:31 AM

D P.

D P

The star system is pretty arbitrary. However, it appears that 35% of critics disliked it.deal with it.

Jan 3 - 07:11 AM

Beleg72

s long

still leaves 65% who liked it. The fact is you say the star/score is arbitrary but could say nothing else to defend this obvious fault with RT. There is no way any proper critic who is open minded should give this 1/5 or 0.5/4 those critics are obviously trying to get noticed. The problem with this film (and others) is that some critics and ppl on this forum dwell on the negative parts of the film and not what was good.

Jan 3 - 09:34 AM

D P.

D P

That doesn't make any sense. Critics who want to "get noticed" tend to give gushing reviews so that they will get quoted in ads. All doing a negative review does is get you trashed on RT.

Jan 4 - 07:08 AM

Azariah Neal

Azariah Neal

Meanwhile, propaganda movies for 'Murica(Zero Dark Thirty) are getting amazing ratings.

Dec 31 - 09:08 PM

D P.

D P

I don't think Zero Dark Thirty is as rousing US propaganda as you think.

Jan 1 - 07:05 AM

Serena Celestine

Serena Celestine

I agree. Some critics reviews were fairly praising, would mention a slight negative aspect and for some reason they gave the film a 'rotten' rating, despite seeming to like the film. Odd. And unjust.

Dec 31 - 05:15 PM

D P.

D P

Why is it "unjust?"

Jan 1 - 07:05 AM

Starbaby

Starbaby Miniverse

Just as many were pretty critical of the film, named more negatives than positives, then strangely gave it a fresh rating, so it all equals out in the end.

Jan 3 - 09:08 AM

Market Man

Eric Shankle

Or maybe The Hobbit is a mediocre film. I know it's hard to accept the low rating but face it, it's just not that good of a film. There's nothing inaccurate about the tomatometer; just because you think it should be higher doesn't mean it should be. 65% is accurate if not too high. The top critics score seems to a little more on the mark.

Dec 30 - 03:26 PM

Market Man

Eric Shankle

65% is an accurate score, if not too high. I agree more with the top critic score.

Dec 30 - 12:56 PM

D P.

D P

To quote a great movie, you keep using that word but I do not think you know what it means...

There is nothing "inaccurate" about the Tomatometer. All it does is give a percentage of the critics who liked it. nothing more.

Grow up guys.

Dec 28 - 09:16 PM

Tom S.

Tom Smith

Of course everyone knows that it is the percentage of critics who liked it versus didn't like it. Which is EXACTLY my point. That percentage is a very rough estimation, but it's usually a decent indication.

Dec 29 - 12:00 AM

D P.

D P

Doesn't matter. "Accuracy" is meaningless when it comes to opinion.

Dec 29 - 06:48 AM

Tom S.

Tom Smith

Ok. That's your opinion, which is also meaningless.

Dec 29 - 11:04 PM

D P.

D P

However, that has nothing to do with your claim of "inaccuracy." The Tomatometer simply cannot be "inaccurate."

Dec 30 - 12:55 AM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

Actually, not everyone knows that. In fact, there are plenty of people who don't. They treat the percentage as if it's a rating of the film itself.
If people want a critical rating, they need to go to Metacritic.
RT has a very simple yes/no, fresh/rotten calculation system.
Unless the critics are being bribed or simply paid to say one thing or another, there's nothing inaccurate about this rating.
It reflects what the critics thought, as funneled through RT's calculation system, and that's what the percentage rating is, no more, no less.

Dec 29 - 01:30 PM

Callan Swain

Callan Swain

Occasional inaccuracies of the tomato meter? Don't you mean the constant inaccuricies.....garbage like paranormal activity 3 is rated higher!

Dec 28 - 02:35 PM

Tom S.

Tom Smith

Yeah, what i meant was frequent inaccuracies. I just didn't want to hear some dumbass self-proclaimed movie expert who worships these pseudo-intellectual critics, to start whining. There are dozens of movies in the 98-100s that are dry, bland slogs, far from entertainment.

Dec 28 - 08:27 PM

ballermat982

ballermat 982

Agreed. I loved this movie just as much as the lotr trilogy. Can't wait for the next one!

Dec 28 - 01:33 PM

Maurizio Panzieri

Maurizio Panzieri

I agree. I have heard all the criticism and wonder if they saw the same movie as I did. I rate it every bit as highly as the LOTR trilogy. At least 85% to be sure.

Dec 28 - 11:43 AM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

But the critics as a whole didn't. Regardless of whether you agree with the ones who didn't like the movie or not, the RT percentage rating reflects the tally of those who liked or didn't like it.
If you're a critic and have a positive view of the movie, your review would be included in the final tally.

Dec 29 - 01:32 PM

Market Man

Eric Shankle

65% is an accurate score, calm down.

Dec 28 - 10:53 AM

D P.

D P

158/243= 65%

MAth isn't that hard.

Dec 28 - 07:35 AM

Zach Wisz

Zach Wisz