5 Reasons why DOS will be better than AUJ

1.) Pacing
This has been the number one complaint of the first film, and given the time frame the sequel will encompass is significantly more packed than in AUJ, the film will likely move at a faster rate with less filler and more truthfulness to the book.

2.) Deus Ex Machina
A problem that is pretty much in every ME movie, but is more prominent in AUJ. In the chunk of the book that DOS covers, Gandalf departs from the dwarves' journey, making it so the main characters (including Bilbo) will have to fend for themselves. Gandalf won't be able to come in every five seconds to save the company, resulting in more involving action scenes. Not to mention, no eagles.

3.) More seriousness
Another problem with AUJ was out of place humor, resulting in tonal imbalance. However, the next few chapters of the book become less lighthearted, and more based around the company's misery. Hopefully this will reflect on screen.

4.) Smaug
Pretty self explanatory. If done right, Smaug could be one of the most impressive CGI dragons ever put on screen. The Gollum of The Hobbit! They teased us plenty with him in the first film, hopefully it'll pay off.

5.) Bilbo's character arc
In this point in the book, Bilbo starts to grow significantly--from freeing the dwarves from the spiders, to leading the badass barrel escape, to facing off with Smaug, Bilbo's part in the story will be of greater significance.
Hats
03-17-2013 11:12 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Market Man

Eric Shankle

1. Hopefully. With the additions of Tauriel, Legolas, (and Frodo again?) plus the return of Azog and Radagast, it might still be a little on the slow side when it comes to pacing.

2. This is true. Kind of dumb in the first film Gandalf saving everyone last minute. Books fault, though.

3. We'll see. The first film had a lot of humor that wasn't in the book such as dwarves burping, trolls sneezing, bunny sled (was that supposed to be funny?), and lame one-liners. I agree, hopefully they can capture the essence of the book on screen...

4. He could be epic. They could also screw him up big time which will likely not happen.

5. We'll, Bilbo's arc has already been concluded between Thorin and the other dwarves but he will be able to prove himself more I guess. I am excited for those scenes.

May 26 - 12:19 PM

The Master of Movies

The Master of Movies

It should be better.Probably 80% to 90%.

May 23 - 11:04 PM

Fergus MacIvor

Fergus MacIvor

Aye, I agree with most of your points, but Bilbo's character arc has already been ruined beyond redemption by him killing those orcs in the first movie. He was supposed to be rather cowardly, UNTIL he faced the spiders in Mirkwood: that was his turning point in the book and Jackson has ruined that.

Mar 30 - 03:48 PM

Hats

Bart Higginstien

It's not like he killed the *orc like a badass warrior. He did so clumsily.

Mar 30 - 08:27 PM

Fergus MacIvor

Fergus MacIvor

Oh, my bad. He did indeed just kill one orc. He also killed a warg, though. Also, he fought off that goblin (though he didn't kill that one, Gollum did).

The point isn't how many orcs or other villains he killed: the point is that he did. In the book, the killing of that first spider with Sting (hence the name Sting) was a big deal to him. That's gone now.

Mar 31 - 06:33 AM

Fergus MacIvor

Fergus MacIvor

Oh, my bad. He did indeed just kill one orc. He also killed a warg, though. Also, he fought off that goblin in the caves (though he didn't kill that one, Gollum did).

The point isn't how many orcs or other villains he killed or how expertly he did it: the point is that he did. In the book, the killing of that first spider with Sting (hence the name Sting) was a big deal to him. That's gone now.

Mar 31 - 06:34 AM

Hats

Bart Higginstien

I'd say the warg killed itself, in a way. That was the derpiest warg ever, he just ran into Bilbo's sword like a dumbass. lol.
Killing the spider could still be a big deal, depending on how big the spiders are. From what we saw, they were pretty god damn huge--and that's in comparison to radagast, who is way taller than Bilbo. Giant spiders > warg with downs syndrome & extremely slow orc
Oh, and Sam killed plenty of orcs before facing off against Shelob. Did that ruin his character arc?

Mar 31 - 10:05 AM

Fergus MacIvor

Fergus MacIvor

No, it didn't ruin Sam's character arc because by that point he had already developed into a capable swordsman (for a Hobbit) and a loyal friend to Frodo. And besides, Shelob isn't just a spider: she's THE spider and the mother of the spiders Bilbo faced off against.

The point of Bilbo's character arc is how he gradually develops from a homebody to an adventurer who is able to complete his journey. Having him slay wargs and orcs all of a sudden without it being implied that it's something he isn't used to undermines that. And besides, even later on in the book, Bilbo doesn't really kill anything besides spiders (which I believe aren't supposed to be as large as Jackson envisages them).

Mar 31 - 11:18 AM

Fergus MacIvor

Fergus MacIvor

No, it didn't ruin Sam's character arc because by that point he had already developed into a capable swordsman (for a Hobbit) and a loyal friend to Frodo. And besides, Shelob isn't just a spider: she's THE spider and the mother of the spiders Bilbo faced off against. Sam still performed an act of great heroism in facing her, even if he killed some orcs beforehand.

The point of Bilbo's character arc is how he gradually develops from a homebody to an adventurer who is able to complete his journey. That first killing of the spider was meant to initiate him into the role of someone who can take care of himself and to represent a change of attitude towards his role in the quest. Having him kill fearsome enemies like an orc and a warg beforehand severely decreases that plot element.

And besides, the spiders aren't supposed to be all that menacing individually: in the book Bilbo is eventually able to fight off hordes of them (with the help of the Ring).

Mar 31 - 11:26 AM

Hats

Bart Higginstien

Having Bilbo kill the orc only adds to the gradual process of his development--instead of Bilbo just straight up killing the spiders without any beforehand experience with a sword.

Mar 31 - 05:39 PM

Fergus MacIvor

Fergus MacIvor

Dude, orcs are experienced and armoured weapon users. Spiders are unintelligent beasts who only have their fangs for weapons. Like I said, in the book Bilbo is able to chase off dozens of them (with the help of the Ring): he wouldn't have been able to do that with orcs, who are far more intelligent and menacing.

Killing orcs beforehand adds to his gradual development? I'm sorry but I must disagree.

Apr 1 - 03:51 AM

Hats

Bart Higginstien

Well, let's say you're right about spiders being less formidable than orcs. Even then, Bilbo's face-off with the spiders was supposed to demonstrate his wit and cunning, whereas his killing of the orc was more of a courage moment. His arc doesn't have to be ruined, if the two character moments encompass different forms of development.

Apr 1 - 05:15 AM

Fergus MacIvor

Fergus MacIvor

Yeah, I'm not buying it: way too much of a stretch there. The spider was supposed to be his very first kill, which convinced him that he could, in fact, fend for himself.

What we have now in the movie is, quite simply, a Bilbo who has already killed fearful adversaries, without giving that much thought to it. They have botched an important part of his development, it's as simple as that.

Apr 1 - 04:14 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

I honestly had no issues with the pacing or the Deus Ex Machina stuff(it was in the book after all), but the tonal inconsistencies did bug me a little. I'm hoping your predictions will come true for DOS.

Mar 29 - 08:46 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

We dont even know how much of the book DOS is going to cover yet.

Mar 17 - 02:28 PM

Hats

Bart Higginstien

Actually, we do. In an interview with the cast and crew about the next film, Andy Serkis said that the Lake town sequences were going to be amazing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1eAWskbUrs

Mar 17 - 03:31 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile