Ian McKellen Is Not Too Busy for The Hobbit

Sir Ian "clearing his diary" for return to Middle-earth in '09.

Even while The Hobbit was in legal limbo, Sir Ian McKellen wasn't shy about letting people know he wanted to reprise his role as Gandalf for the Lord of the Rings prequel(s).

Now that the project is coming together, his enthusiasm remains undimmed -- and what's more, according to the most recent batch of answers posted to his fans' questions at McKellen.com, he appears to be kinda sorta unofficially officially attached to the two Hobbit films.

It isn't the most surprising news, but it'll be comforting to fans of the LotR films, two of whom had their Hobbit-related questions addressed on Wednesday. Dig it:

Q: So has it come to pass, good Sir McKellen? Shall the dreaming masses with their musty books and their blackened pipes at long last hear those immortal words issue from under that famous nose? "Yes, yes, my dear sir -- and I know your name, Mr. Bilbo Baggins. And you do know my name, though you don't remember that I belong to it. I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me! To think I should have lived to be good-morninged by Belladonna Took's son, as if I was selling buttons at the door!" Looking about, I find I share the same hopes as millions of others, so I ask, a single query in a chorus... Will you again be our Gandalf in "The Hobbit" now that the deal is settled?

A: Yes I will, if Peter Jackson and I have anything to do with it, he being the producer and me being, on the whole, a very lucky actor. I've just read your quote out loud -- fabulous speech.

The question might make you want to scream like Ogre in Revenge of the Nerds, but McKellen's answer is admirably direct -- and if you still have any doubt as to who'll be wielding Gandalf's staff in the new movies, read on:

Q: Have you been approached yet by Peter Jackson or anyone else about reprising your wonderful role as Gandalf for the two upcoming "Hobbit" movies. I read that principal photography begins in 2009, and I can't imagine those movies without you!

A: Encouragingly, Peter and Fran Walsh have told me they couldn't imagine The Hobbit without their original Gandalf. Their confidence hasn't yet been confirmed by the director Guillermo del Toro but I am keeping my diary free for 2009!

Source: McKellen.com

Comments

akatsuki

Wen Sheng Cheak

great

Mar 27 - 05:36 AM

rockster11

Matt Gamble

Yep IMO this movie would not work without Ian... Very good news indeed

Mar 27 - 05:45 AM

willpower

will molinar

Why two movies?

Mar 27 - 05:51 AM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

Joining the chorus:
In a virtually flawless production, McKellan was arguably the single greatest casting move Jackson made.

If it ain't broke, don't get a new wizard.

Mar 27 - 06:16 AM

dedalus7

A B

"If it ain't broke don't get a new wizard"

Now that is a quote to live by. And I do.

Mar 27 - 07:55 AM

donwillymo

Will Padin

Yay! more Hobbits walking around with a ring that they're just gonna throw in a volcano. waste of 13.5 hours. Yay!

Mar 27 - 06:38 AM

donwillymo

Will Padin

All right, look, there's only one "Return," okay, and it ain't "of the King," it's "of the Jedi."

Mar 27 - 06:42 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

So Don, are you just looking for a fight or what? Return of the King was first published when Lucas was graduating college, so I think King has the advantage. Of course, this is an old argument and really not worth the effort. They're both great movies and different enough that they needn't really be compared.

But thanks for sharing your obviously well thought out opinion.

Mar 27 - 07:11 AM

JamesEarl

Jimmy Heisner

Actually, I believe don was quoting Randal from Clerks II, so if you want to argue about who has the "advantage", you might wanna give Kevin Smith a call and take it up with him.

Mar 27 - 09:35 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Ah, I see. Didn't see Clerks 2 so didn't get the reference, thanks for the clarification. And I might just go over to ViewAskew and tell Kevin what I think, but probably not. ;-)

Mar 27 - 10:12 AM

donwillymo

Will Padin

Horton going for the threepeat!!! The michael jordan of the box office.

Mar 27 - 07:14 AM

HurinThalion

ryan bry

My guess is that movie 1 will end with the the dwarves being captured by the elves of mirkwood.

Mar 27 - 07:25 AM

donwillymo

Will Padin

Hey they're midgets not dwarfs damnit!

Mar 27 - 07:26 AM

donwillymo

Will Padin

they also prefer lil' bastards, shortstuff, or "not normals"...be a little more politically correct hurinthalion, sh't!

Mar 27 - 07:41 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Well, don't I feel silly. Here I was trying to be logical when we're obviously dealing with someone who's off his meds.

And Hurin, I think an earlier report (three months or so ago) mentioned that the first movie would be The Hobbit in entirety and the second movie would detail the events between The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings. Sort of a prequel sequel, I guess. Of course, that could all change by the time it actually happens.

Mar 27 - 07:52 AM

dedalus7

A B

"If it ain't broke don't get a new wizard"

Now that is a quote to live by. And I do.

Mar 27 - 07:55 AM

John Z. Delorean

John Street

If they're as boring and drawn out as the first 3 count me out although I'm sure guillermo will make them worth watching.

Mar 27 - 08:28 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Cool, while they're at it they should see about getting him in the last couple of Harry Potter movies, That series needs a new Dumbledore. although Half Blood Prince does have a scene that will probably be perfect of Gambon's over-emotional Dumbledore.

Mar 27 - 09:06 AM

donwillymo

Will Padin

If guillermo makes it along the lines of Pan's Labyrinth then we're in business. No more of this CG sell-out peter jackson crap! LOTR should have gone to del toro to begin with.

Mar 27 - 09:15 AM

wingnut171

Cara Black

Funnily enough, the Gandalf part was first offered to Sean Connery. He turned it down because he "didn't understand it", so it went to McKellen. And that's your world-skewing tidbit for the day!

Mar 27 - 09:31 AM

JamesEarl

Jimmy Heisner

Mar 27 - 09:35 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Mar 27 - 10:12 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Mar 27 - 10:12 AM

donwillymo

Will Padin

I wasn't trying to hide the fact that I got it from a movie or make it my own JamesEarl...I just really love that part the way Randall tears these LOTR fheads up, baby! I totally agreed with everything he said in that scene...I was like the only guy in the theater laughing out loud in that scene. I heard these guys crying in the front of the theater after that part was over. LMAO Kevin Smith ****in rocks you cocksmokers.

Mar 27 - 10:12 AM

DarthWonka

Jesse Rodgers

There's room enough in the world for both trilogies, Donny. Let's face it, Star Wars is the waaaaay better story, but LotR is the waaaaay better execution. Just two sides of the same thing. By the way, Kevin Smith liked the Lotr movies quite a bit. The scene in Clerks II was merely a way for him to express his frustration at the fact that many fans saw LotR Star Wars's successor and superior, which you and I both know could never be true, so we should rest easy on the point. (See an Evening With Kevin Smith 2) No need to be angry about it. Usually people who think LotR is better don't get Star Wars anyway, I've come to find. But I love em both.

Mar 27 - 10:29 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Actually they're both stories that use archetypes and the mythical journey as their basis to tell a compelling story. It just comes down to personal choice. I happen to like the LOTR movies much better that the original Star Wars, with the possible exception of Star Wars. Part of that could be because I fell in love with the books several years before the Star Wars films came out. As for the second trilogy, I'd almost rather watch paint dry. But as you say, there's room for both LOTR and SW, and I love them both.

But Donny, let's not hold high the Star Wars banner while calling Peter Jackson a CG sell-out. After all, I think Lucas patented that concept.

Mar 27 - 11:07 AM

thebbeenn

Ben W

Word

Yes, CG can be a really bad. It can look fake and weightless. But the LoTR trilogy has none of those flaws. The golloum character is a sheer masterpiece of animation, just to name an example. Skin, subtle facial movements etc. And let's not forget the eagles, where every wing feather flutters as the wind gusts rush by.

Understand, you see through the illusion only because you KNOW it can't have been done in any other way than CG. Try imagining the balrog as an stiff, awkwardly moving animatronic, or worse... a guy in a suit. Try finding an actor with Gollum's body proportions.

All you people who complain about CG, can you please stop your ooh & aah now, efter nearly 20 years. The problem is you, and your inability to just let go and enjoy a good movie on its own terms, the story that's being told.

Jul 17 - 04:55 AM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast