There and Back Again, Day 3: The Return of the King

Summary

And so it ends. Having journeyed through The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers, almost always conscious and (for legal purposes) resoundingly sober, we now arrive at the final -- and most epic -- chapter, The Return of the King. Will the extended edition yield another four-hundred endings? Has Gollum's lost boogaloo on the cliffs of Mount Doom been restored to the film? To Mordor we go... Back to Article

Comments

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Once Return of the King takes off, the film is simply incredible. The extended scenes really add to the movie and explain things which may have been cloudy.

Dec 14 - 06:18 PM

Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles

The Eowyn/Faramir romance wasn't just Jackson giving her a happy ending, it was exactly what happened in the book! The two meet in the Houses of Healing and eventually end up married. A good portion of a chapter is devoted to their relationship.

Dec 14 - 06:28 PM

rt-ryan

Ryan Fujitani

Having not read the books, I suspected this might have been the case. That said, the way this was handled in the film was clumsy and rushed, in my opinion. They share a couple of glances, exchange a few lines of dialogue, and suddenly they're holding hands and gazing wistfully at each other. Given a little more attention, it could have worked, but it didn't... at least, not in PJ's version.

Dec 14 - 10:42 PM

Kevin Lehde

Kevin Lehde

Probably unfilmable. The episode in the book takes place over the period of weeks, while the army marches to Mordor. Tolkien just takes a while to tell us what was happening with Eowyn/Faramir while the army is gone. Showing it in the rushed way in the movie was the mistake, but it wasn't important enough to keep coming back to it over and over either.

Dec 15 - 12:07 AM

jake s.

jake suttles

since the extended cuts are for people who really care and thusly have likely read the books, they would know about Faramir and Eowyns romance, and be able to read between the lines from the little screen time that they should get more of.

Dec 15 - 06:26 AM

Paul Soldner

I agree. It would have needed a lot of cutting back & forth. Also, during that time there is a sizeable amount of things going on with the marching army that are not in the film for the same reasons.

Dec 15 - 08:56 PM

Josh Janney

Josh Janney

I saw the extended cut before I read the book, but I always assumed their romance developed offscreen. The book does it better though.

Dec 15 - 03:09 PM

Gimhana Fernando

Gimhana Fernando

Strangely,I like this one the least.Not by much,however.All the films are so close in quality.The extended edition of this is rather tedious.

Dec 14 - 07:19 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Yeah I agree with you. I think certain parts of the film are Perfect and other parts Awful. It was a very conflicted viewing for me. Eowyn Stands up to the WITCH KING, AMAZING! Frodo Banishes Sam, WTF Terrible. FRODO Refusing to drop the Ring, AMAZING! Frodo's speech about forgiving Gollum omitted...WTF!

Dec 15 - 07:39 AM

King  S.

King Simba

I actually liked the bit about Frodo banishing Sam. It really give you an idea about how corruptable the ring is and just how conniving Gollum is, which made the scene at the volcano incredibly tense. It also really helped display the loyalty Sam had for Frodo that he still came back to him afterwards.

Dec 16 - 03:46 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

The reason I felt conflicted about the scene is it made Sam a flawless character. Jackson or who ever had majority control over the script made all his favorites flawless. Sam's deep rooted prejudice and dis-trust of people was suppose to be a Flaw not a virtue. Also Sam in the first film was going to drown in order to stay by Frodo's side. In the second film he would rather let his master stab in the face then fight with him. In this film he leaves with out argument over bread Crumbs? Not to mention it made Frodo look like a complete idiot. That's why I hate that scene.

Dec 16 - 06:17 AM

King  S.

King Simba

It was more than the bread crumbs. Both Gollum and the Ring deluded Frodo into thinking that Sam was after the ring. And Frodo being fooled wasn't a sign of him being an idiot but of the power of the ring that it even managed to corrupt a peaceful Hobbit.

And I still think that Sam's prejudice was a flaw. Even if he ended up being right about Gollum, the fact is they would have never even entered Mordor without Gollum's help. And Sam's cruelty to Gollum was part of the reason why he eventually betrayed them.

Dec 16 - 09:19 AM

Sam George

Sam George

Certainly the most annoying change was Gandalf essentially defeated by the witch king. In the book, Gandalf stood alone at the gates. Very dramatic and they should have left it the same.

Dec 14 - 08:26 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I was heart broken this was left out and it took me a long time to accept the film as magnificent for it's merits. Fan Boy Grudges you know? They are dangerous.

Dec 15 - 07:40 AM

Eric Nyberg

Eric Nyberg

I agree. The most annoying thing for me was that Gandalf got "defeated" by the Witch King. I felt like Jackson didn't need to revise Tolkien that way. Keep it like it was in the book.

Dec 15 - 11:36 AM

scottichips

Scott Abate

I didnt like this part at first since it was so different from the book. But after trying to think about it from the film makers point of view, making it compelling for someone who didnt read the book and know the overall outcome. I loved how it made the witch king seem almost invincible in the mind of the viewer, and the chance of victory pretty much gone. Which made the fight with Eowyn all the more tense and one of the most memorable moments of the film.

Dec 15 - 06:27 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Yeah Gandalf looked like a total putz that entire Film, In Retrospect how is it Gandalf the Grey can Smite the Balrog but Gandalf the White can't even hold his own against orcs and Nazgul. Nazgul that in the first film got freaking crushed by an Elf Chick and Aragorn. The Scene was awful.

Dec 16 - 06:11 AM

jake s.

jake suttles

Dec 15 - 06:26 AM

Dec 15 - 08:56 PM

Luvagoo

Tallulah Robinson

The meeting with the King of the Dead and Pippin's song with Denethor and Faramir are those kinds of scenes you remember in awed detail, though you've only seen the movie once about 8 years ago.

Dec 15 - 04:03 AM

Dec 15 - 06:27 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Dec 16 - 06:11 AM

Richard Francis

Richard Francis

I went to our local XD theater last weekend to see the trilogy played out with the extended versions. Big screen, big sound, perfect. An amazing way to spend 13 hours! So glad I did that.

Dec 15 - 11:39 AM

Rachel Smith

Rachel Smith

I went to go see the extended LOTR trilogy in a movie theater the week before the Hobbit came out just because I've wanted to see all three films on screen (I only saw Return of the King in theaters) and I've been waiting 9 years to have someone play them all back to back in one day. There's something about seeing the battle scenes and certain CGI sequences on a big screen that just don't cut it on a standard big screen TV, not to mention the fact that the theater was also occupied by LOTR nerds who clapped and cheered at points of the movies I loved too. Nothing beats the communal movie watching experience, in my opinion. I wish more people and theaters would be more compelled to put together such events in the future: I see there ought to be a holiday where the trilogy is shown on Tolkien's birthday every year!

Dec 17 - 02:05 PM

Josh Janney

Josh Janney

Dec 15 - 03:09 PM

scottichips

Scott Abate

Dec 15 - 06:27 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Dec 16 - 06:11 AM

Paul Soldner

While you are correct that the Eowyn-Faramir love story was over-rushed, that was due to time constraints. The book has about 2 chapters dedicated almost solely to that relationship.
Also, I like your idea of a Orc buddy-cop film. Once again in the books, there are 2 or 3 chapters that show things from an Orc's pov, and its EXACTLY how you describe it :D

Dec 15 - 08:53 PM

Dec 15 - 08:56 PM

Pretty much the only extended scene I didn't like

Dec 15 - 08:57 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday