There and Back Again, Day 4 The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Summary

Back to Article

Comments

Jane D.

Jane Doe

I gotta agree, unfortunately... This is how I felt when I saw it:

"Just got back from the 3D HFR screening of the Hobbit. I am disappointed to be frank. I really wanted to give Peter Jackson the benefit of doubt with the new 3D HFR technology but I can't... The tech just didn't help the story at all. I could never escape the feeling that I'm watching an over-produced soap opera on a HDTV; or I'm playing a computer game on a super high-resolution monitor. Yeah, everything was crisp and sharp, the action scenes were superb in 48fps, definitely without headache inducing motion sickness so common in 24fps 3D movies... I just don't know, I really wanted to like it, but the 'hyper-realism' of the movie destroyed the 'fantasy' of the Middle Earth. I will go see it again, this time in plain 2D and see if I'll change my opinion... And yes, it was a little too long in story and sloppy in editing, it could easily be compressed into 2 hours."

Dec 17 - 05:40 PM

Jacob Crites

Jacob Crites

I wouldn't say it could "easily" be compressed into 2 hours. Some of the minor adventures were really fun. The only really overlong, unnecessary part was the boring council meeting in Rivendale. I'm not sure what that scene accomplished in 12 minutes that it couldn't have accomplished in 2.

Dec 17 - 08:02 PM

Jamie Evans

Jamie Evans

For me, that was also a problem. I didn't enjoy the addition of Saruman and Galadriel into the Hobbit. I know they are important figures in Middle Earth, but I felt that their presence was unneeded.

Dec 20 - 10:44 AM

David Becker

David Becker

You'll see why they were needed in Desolation of Smaug.

Dec 20 - 08:39 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

I also saw it in HFR 3D. When the screen has just changed its format I was confused as well. I saw the Warner Bros. logo going at a much faster speed then normal. I didn't get sick its just it felt strange. I saw Bilbo Baggings moving as if he was running (he was supposed to be walking). I thought it was neat and cool and very clear but it went way too fast and the computer generated and special effects made everything look so cheap that you could see that its fake. The Hobbit its self is great but the 48fps was not as great as I was expecting. Maybe I'll wait and see what James Cameron does with his Avatar sequels being filmed in HFR.

Dec 17 - 08:24 PM

Matthew Kelly

Matthew Kelly

I wish they could have done some kind of mixed-shot HFR cut. I thought it looked great - or at least didn't look distracting - whenever the camera was pulled back a decent distance from the action but as soon as anything started happening close-up it felt really jarring, and going back and forth between the two starting making my brain hurt a bit.

Dec 17 - 08:43 PM

scifimark

scifi mark

Basically when there was a lot of motion on the screen like the fight scenes my brain went into sensory overload.

Dec 20 - 11:03 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

The few comments on the plot were for the most part how I felt. I saw it in 24 fps. Gotta say though even I'm getting tired of people talking about the 48fps.

Dec 17 - 07:03 PM

Sam McNeill

Sam McNeill

I know! We're supposed to be talking about movies, not how an optional viewing mode is ruining the industry. The movie was amazing in 24fps, slow in the beginning, but it got better!

Dec 21 - 03:50 AM

Lisa M.

Lisa Mason

what Adam implied I am impressed someone able to earn $5500 in 4 weeks just adding movie clips. did you see this page http://cutt.us/Career

Mar 11 - 06:35 AM

Steve Buchanan

Steve Buchanan

I'm not sure if I can ever get used to 48 FPS. I also found myself being taken in and out of the viewing experience. It was very jarring. Visuals aside I was pleasantly surprised by the movie, gonna see it again in 24 FPS.

Dec 17 - 07:06 PM

Jacob Crites

Jacob Crites

I totally agree about all the opinions on 48fps. It just took me right out of the movie. Thankfully I saw it a couple days later in good old 24fps, and I was able to appreciate the film itself.

The film is wonderful; if there is a step down in quality in the previous films, it is a small one. The main thing is that the tone is different, but it's the sort of tone I wished the original TLOTR trilogy had more of: a more lighthearted, spirited adventure with bits of darkness, and not the other way around.

The Riddle scene is probably my favorite scene in all four Tolkien movies. Had Jackson cut the awkward scene toward the beginning with Frodo and Old Bilbo, and shaved off a bit of the overlong council meeting with Gandalf and the old folks, I'd call it the best of the bunch. But having just watched all films in the past couple weeks, An Unexpected Journey truly isn't any more digressive or inconsistently paced than ROTK or The Two Towers.

Dec 17 - 08:00 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Yea, I'm going to see the next two parts in plain old 24fps.

Dec 17 - 08:25 PM

Jacob Crites

Jacob Crites

Dec 17 - 08:02 PM

Jamie Evans

Jamie Evans

Dec 20 - 10:44 AM

David Becker

David Becker

You'll see why they were needed in Desolation of Smaug.

Dec 20 - 08:39 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Dec 17 - 08:24 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Yea, I'm going to see the next two parts in plain old 24fps.

Dec 17 - 08:25 PM

Matthew Kelly

Matthew Kelly

Dec 17 - 08:43 PM

scifimark

scifi mark

Dec 20 - 11:03 AM

Eddie Baty

Eddie Baty

I saw it in 48fps 3D. I guess I'm one of the few who actually really enjoyed it in the intended format.

Dec 17 - 09:08 PM

Bernhardina Hörnstein

Bernhardina Hörnstein

I did too! Thought it looked great, I have no idea what the fuzz is all about xS

Dec 18 - 12:22 PM

Julio de Oliveira

Julio de Oliveira

Except for those weird moments in which motion seemed to be fast forwarded (most of the ones I spotted were on close-ups), I have to say I like it too. And I was positively shocked with the depth of the 3D. The rock giants scene was breath-taking to me.

Dec 18 - 03:04 PM

Darren Anderson

Darren Anderson

Im one of the few and I enjoyed it. Enjoyed the story and format and intend on seeing the next two in 48fps. If im honest I enjoyed The Hobbit more so than TDKR and on par with The Avengers.

Dec 18 - 08:18 PM

Justin Buell

Justin Buell

Saw it twice (once in 2D, then in 3D). Still have yet to see it in 48fps.

I can say, after a second viewing, it is on par with LOTR. Absolutely loved it.

Doesn't deserve the criticism it's been getting. Not one bit.

Dec 17 - 09:27 PM

Chris Quarrie

Chris Quarrie

TOTALLY agree. LOVED the movie. It still resonates.. I have an emotional connection with the movie that I never felt with the LOTR trilogy.

Dec 19 - 03:07 PM

Sam McNeill

Sam McNeill

When they say that Bilbo and Frodo felt pity on Gollum.... now I think I can feel it.

Dec 21 - 03:52 AM

Cali Filam

Cali Filam

I personally thought they could have done the movie well without the intro with Bilbo and Frodo, it was not necessary. The Hobbit was all about Bilbo hence the reason. Another thing I hope that Smaug looks a bit more like the dragon from "Dragonheart" although the movie showed very little of how he will most likely look, all I thought when I saw the glimpses was the image of the dragon from Shrek. . . . . and I agree that the movie should have been a little more shorter and I know I may sound a bit like I'm contradicting myself when I say this that although the movie would have been better if they trimmed off some minutes they should have given more screen time for some of the other dwarves and that Radagast shouldn't have had that much screen time for he was only mentioned very little in the book. overall since the book will be split into 3 movies I can't really say much about this first installment, but enjoyed it very much with my little daughter, she especially loved it when Gollum appeared. hehehe

Dec 17 - 11:14 PM

David S.

David Stanley

I think those that did not enjoy the movie are mostly people who saw it in 48fps. Those like myself that have seen it in 24fps really enjoyed it. In fact, I loved it - perhaps even more than The Lord of the Rings films.

Dec 18 - 06:09 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

FYI, saw it in 24fps 3D, liked it, but not nearly as well as LOTR's. I wish people would stop trying to speak for everyone else and rationalize other people's opinions. There's no need to feel sorry for us, we just disagree. If you loved it that's great, but not everyone is going to. The movie got a 65% from critics and a 6.5 score from audiences. That's pretty consistant, I might have given it a bit higher than that, but the numbers don't lie. It probably was a good to very good movie that wasn't quite as appealing as it's predecessor's, but still has the potential to reach those heights as long as the director doesn't go Lucas on it and not listen to the feedback. That's my take on it.

Dec 18 - 03:36 PM

scifimark

scifi mark

It has a 8.4 from audiences not 6.5. Strangely enough it has a higher audience rating currently than fellowship of the ring, barely but higher.

Dec 20 - 11:00 AM

Bernhardina Hörnstein

Bernhardina Hörnstein

I saw it in high fram rate... and I thought it was amazing! Spectacular! I know most of you didn't like it and I feel so sorry for you :/

Dec 18 - 12:20 PM

Bernhardina Hörnstein

Bernhardina Hörnstein

Dec 18 - 12:22 PM

Steven S.

Steven Scott

I just hope that the others can be good as well!

Dec 18 - 01:04 PM

Facebook User

Facebook User

I think your all wrong. I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Dec 18 - 01:54 PM