Box Office Guru Wrapup: Hobbit Rules Slow Pre-Christmas Frame

Summary

With holiday shopping and traveling slowing down multiplex traffic, new releases attracted low-to-moderate debuts allowing The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey to remain atop the chart in its second session. Four new films entered the top ten hoping not so much to score big openings, but to establish themselves in the marketplace as entertaining options once moviegoers become more available on Tuesday onwards for the Christmas holiday. Back to Article

Comments

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Not Fade Away" has suffered from too little promotion. Outside of the occasional mention in articles about upcoming films, I haven't seen very many posters, trailers, or other promotional items to get the word out. There is the very vague "from the creator of 'Sopranos', and starring James Gandolfini", but this is misleading because the film has nothing to do with the mafia and Gandolfini is a supporting role. It's still funny that its "disappointing" screen average is considerable higher than the wide openings, but I really wish more people were aware of this film, which I'm hoping could turn out to be a sleeper, and a gem.

Dec 23 - 05:31 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Hey Janson, just saw ARBITAGE. I think Richard Gere deserves an Academy Award nomination, what do you think?

Dec 23 - 08:07 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I haven't gotten to it yet, but it's near the top of my anticipated list. It'll be a squeeze to fit Gere into a catagory with Day Lewis, Phoenix, Washington, Hawkes, Cooper, possibly Hugh Jackman. I might PPV the film over the holidays.

Dec 23 - 08:43 PM

King Crunk

I am thinking Phoenix is getting the golden statue this year. He might lose because The Master came out so long ago compared to most of the other contenders, but I do not see anybody else as worthy, not even the almighty DDL.

Dec 23 - 10:27 PM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

I haven't seen The Master, so this is not really my personal opinion so much as my understanding on how the Academy works, but I think DDL can go ahead and dust a spot off on his shelf.

Dec 24 - 06:25 AM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

I love Daniel Day-Lewis, but the mofo already has 2 Best Actor Oscars...he doesn't need a third one, particularly for a largely fictional, Hollywood-version of a US President. Give someone else the statue dammit, anyone.

Dec 24 - 08:58 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

The Academy doesn't like Pheonix at all though. He's the new Sean Penn and until he starts kissing that academy ass he'll never have his Mystic River or Milk moment.

Dec 24 - 10:39 AM

Jean-Vart V.

Jean-Vart Vaughn

I think Denzel has a good chance. I watched Flight and I almost cried even at the beginning. Denzel made his character an addict we all love.

Dec 24 - 11:18 AM

King Crunk

I had not heard of it until this article. And even then, it is buried in a paragraph towards then end.

Dec 23 - 10:26 PM

Kevin DeLoughry

Kevin DeLoughry

the hobbit was awesome 24fps

Dec 23 - 05:38 PM

James Rochel

James Rochel

damn, at first i thought this was an accounting. Where are the articles for people that just like movies and not accounting?

Dec 23 - 05:43 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Do you know what a "box office" is?

Dec 23 - 05:53 PM

James Rochel

James Rochel

nope

Dec 23 - 08:13 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Oooo...we were looking for "ticket receipts". Ticket receipts. Thanks for playing.

Dec 23 - 08:40 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Oh, THE HOBBIT is still playing...yawn! Just waiting on DJANGO.

Dec 23 - 05:47 PM

Matthew Reimer

Yes, The Hobbit is still playing and don't just hate it because of the critics. Plus, Django is not going to make as much as The Hobbit.

Dec 23 - 09:13 PM

Zane B

Chum Chum

Who cares? It will be a much better flick

Dec 24 - 07:00 AM

Matthew Reimer

I liked The Hobbit a lot but maybe your right. We all know that The Hobbit is so far not getting a Oscar.

Dec 24 - 09:45 AM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

I haven't seen it, I'm going to check it out on DVD. I don't hate it, I just don't want to waste money on seeing it in the theaters, particularly when I'm not a Tolkien devotee and thus no reason to. I'm just sick of the underlying corporate greed pushing Jackson to make 3 epic movies out of a 300-page book. I took a Film Adaptations class in college, and I'd rather check out the new versions of Les Mis or Wuthering Heights than the damn Hobbit.

Oh, and true Django may not make as much money (its R-rated, after all), but it probably will win more awards. Plus, it's got a much higher Tomatometer and the more colorful cast.

Dec 24 - 08:26 AM

Matthew Reimer

Well we all like different movies. I'm sorry for bragging about The Hobbit and that Django will not make as much and its not that I will hate Django is just that there are other movies that could be worth seeing around the holidays (like how you said Les Mis).

Dec 24 - 09:40 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Do you know what a "box office" is?

Dec 23 - 05:53 PM

James Rochel

James Rochel

nope

Dec 23 - 08:13 PM

Dec 23 - 08:40 PM

Andrew Milito

Andrew Milito

I still need to see The Hobbit. I'm gonna wait for my dad to reread it before we go see it though, he hasn't read it in years.

Dec 23 - 06:43 PM

Matthew Reimer

See The Hobbit. Its very good and if you read the book, then you'll be ready for the next two parts.

Dec 23 - 09:14 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

I'm more than patient to wait for Hobbit on DVD, and I might even read the book before that time.

Dec 24 - 08:29 AM

Matthew Reimer

Yeah and if you read the book, then you'll be ready for the next two. I read the book years ago and recently read it to get it back in my mind.

Dec 24 - 09:43 AM

Dec 24 - 10:39 AM

Jean-Vart V.

Jean-Vart Vaughn

Dec 24 - 11:18 AM

Jacob H.

Jacob Holmes

I expect next week to be a lot better. Les Miserables and Django Unchained should bring in strong numbers. I'll see Les Mis first and Django sometime after. If Disney wants to make money off the 3D re-releases, they should do it to movies people actually want to see in theaters again(like Aladdin).

Dec 23 - 08:12 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Dec 24 - 08:29 AM

Dec 24 - 09:43 AM

Bram S.

Bram Sterling

Wow. I wasn't expecting Monsters, Inc. to do so poorly.

Dec 23 - 09:41 PM

Matthew Reimer

Me too, I think it just had too much competition but I'll see it anyways.

Dec 23 - 09:47 PM

King Crunk

Well, I never really hear people mention Monsters, Inc. as being one of their most beloved animated or children's movies. Films like Toy Story, The Lion King, Titanic, and other successful rereleases are all special films for an entire generation (the first two for me, specifically), so those that saw them as children want to see their favorites again on the big screen, as well as take their children to experience it as well.

Dec 23 - 10:35 PM

Matthew Reimer

Yeah, plus I want to be ready Monsters University next summer.

Dec 24 - 09:42 AM

Matthew Reimer

Me too, I think it just had too much competition but I'll see it anyways.

Dec 23 - 09:47 PM

King Crunk

Saw The Hobbit this weekend; thought it was good, but definitely a notch below Jackson's previous adventures in Middle Earth. The beginning was too slow. I am all for build up, but there was not much reward for the drawn out opening. Once the group ran into the trolls, though, things picked up and it became a very fun adventure film. Serkis stole the show, as I expected, with his appearance as Gollum. Judging by the clapping and cheers from the audience at my showing when he appeared on screen, he was the one bit of fan service that really fit well with the movie and the thing everybody wanted to see again.

Glad to see Skyfall doing so well and joining the billion dollar club. Great film that deserves all the success it is getting, and it had some of the best action of any film this year, with no shakey cam!!!!! I would say Craig already has a run that puts most other Bonds to shame, as Casino Royale and Skyfall are two of the most satisfying Bond films in the series.

Dec 23 - 10:24 PM

Premo Beat

John Noto

Skyfall was QoS 2.0 for me. Totally unsatisfying and a waste of Bardem.

Dec 24 - 09:02 AM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Sorry you are in the minority.

Dec 24 - 09:13 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I wasn't blown away by Skyfall either, it was fine, but nothing special and didn't think Bardem was worth the hype. I have no issue with being in the minority either.

Dec 24 - 05:31 PM

Dec 23 - 10:26 PM

Dec 23 - 10:27 PM

Dec 23 - 10:35 PM

Matthew Reimer

Yeah, plus I want to be ready Monsters University next summer.

Dec 24 - 09:42 AM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday