Fuck no

It's just a sci fi version of Twilight. Who would pay to see this shit?
Ryan J.
03-3-2013 07:30 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Jordan Norris

Jordan Norris

You obviously haven't seen it, so what gives you the right to say anything about it? It's nothing like twilight, just because it's written by the same author doesn't mean anything.

Apr 12 - 04:15 AM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

He said this 26 days before it's release, so it was just a prediction as to how he thought the film was going to be.

Apr 12 - 09:03 AM

Jamie Pinson

Jamie Pinson

I'm sorry lead actress I meant.

Apr 7 - 05:29 PM

Jamie Pinson

Jamie Pinson

Why does everyone think it's Twilight? It's nothing like Twilight. Other than that I don't care if you like it or hate it. And the lead actor rocks, loved her in Hannah. Wish they'd have given her more to go with here though. Ahh I get it it, David Tanny explained it perfectly why it's like Twilight. Read his post. They're not saying it's a copy and paste as far as the story goes. But they are right. It is a disaster. I still liked the movie though :) Wish I would have loved it instead of just liking it :(

Apr 7 - 05:29 PM

Mary Schwindt

Mary Schwindt

The book was awful. I won't be spending my money on this movie.

Mar 29 - 07:15 PM

Fourteenyearold

Louie 098

All of you are arguing, at the end of the day, this movie will have atlease 20PERCENT, AND THIS IS A PIECE OF SHI.

Mar 28 - 09:28 AM

Zane B

Chum Chum

Look at the director, look at the leads, look at the plot, look at the source material, and look at who wrote the book. All indications point ot this movie being complete trash

Mar 28 - 07:11 AM

Victor T.

Victor Tudorica

You virtually couldn't be more biased my friend!

Apr 5 - 01:40 PM

Bad Ash J. Gilmore

Bad Ash J. Gilmore

You virtually couldn't be more of a dumbass my friend!

Apr 14 - 01:37 PM

Movie 4.

Movie 43

Heck yes

Mar 27 - 07:05 PM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

Lol that's funny... That's what your mom said right before I fucked her...

Mar 28 - 10:02 AM

Jacklord Alan Keen

Jacklord Alan Keen

hahahahahahahaha!

Apr 23 - 10:11 PM

Joseph  E.

Joseph Enoch

Fuck you

Aug 1 - 10:06 AM

Rj Glenn

Rj Glenn

I love when people say you're sexist because you say that all the teen girls and soccer moms will see it. It's called the target audience people. They're books and movies for girls. That's what Stephanie Meyer writes. Therefore, that's what's gonna draw them in. The guys. Not the "vampire" part of Twilight or the "action". The wanna see two "attractive" guys try to get with this abnormally pale girl. The Host is at 14% because it is a poorly directed and written movie. Plain and simple. But girls will still go see it for the guys. It's marketing. Ok? Sheesh.

Mar 27 - 05:41 PM

Marc Baker

Marc Baker

It's what gives Ryan Seacrest, and everyone else at 'E! News' an excuse to rub it in the faces of straight heterosexual males. That, and the current 'gay marriage' fiasco.

Mar 27 - 06:35 PM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

Marriage equality has nothing to do with 'E! News'.

Mar 28 - 02:29 AM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

how is marriage equality a fiasco?

Apr 14 - 01:20 PM

Jeff P.

Jeff Walken

Don't let the trolls see you actually writing something logical, Rj. It's too much for them to handle.

Mar 28 - 08:45 AM

Rj Glenn

Rj Glenn

You're 100% right. Trolls hate logic.

Mar 28 - 12:23 PM

Andrea Tesone

Andrea Tesone

17% it's a bloodbath. I can't believe that is even worse than any "Twilight" movie. I mean, "New Moon" was atrocious, I think many people don't judge the movie itself, but they destroy it just because it was written by the Meyer. I can't believe that a great storyteller such as Niccol has created a complete garbage

Mar 27 - 05:13 PM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

It was probably really hard to try and make a good movie out of such shitty source material. Cue the angry fans in 3...2...1...

Mar 28 - 12:26 PM

Frederic Civish

Frederic Civish

This novel, and movie, is NOTHING like Twilight, and it is definitely Science Fiction. Troll, troll, troll some more why don't ya.

Mar 27 - 01:21 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

He said it was sci-fi. Didn't you read? And can you explain why it isn't like Twilight? Support your argument.

Mar 27 - 03:42 PM

Adam Hinkle

Adam Hinkle

It is different because; The types of characters are completely different, the setting is completely different, the plot is totally different, the writing is better, The only similarity is the fact that this does have a romance involved, that's it. And many other books, movies, and TV show have romances, doesn't mean they're trying to be or are twilight.

If you were to read twilight and read the host you would see that. but since your not willing to, then you cant judge that for yourself. While these books might not pertain to your interest that fine. People like different things. But hating something because you bored \/ \/. Or because you have nothing better to do doesn't make you right. Arrogance doesn't make you better then someone, Knowledge over what your arguing about does. And seeing as you have net to no knowledge of the host other 20 or so pages maybe and a couple of trailers mean the others who have read it and are arguing its a good book and movie have more knowledge then you.

Mar 27 - 04:36 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

If you noticed my posting history on this forum, I am open to peoples views on this movie, and I don't go around calling people idiots for liking something. Ain't my style. But so far, I have yet to see you or anyone else defending this movie give a solid explanation as to why we shouldn't cast this off as another Twilight.

I think we have a good stance, considering it's another teen paranormal romance from the author of Twilight. Having different characters and a different plot and setting is obvious. But the fact is thematically it's the same.

Mar 27 - 04:42 PM

Alex M.

Hipster Elitist Maverick

David, if you don't like this movie, you are arrogant according to Mr. Hinkle. Plain and simple.

Mar 27 - 04:43 PM

Adam Hinkle

Adam Hinkle

I wasn't trying to call you stupid you seem to be a very understanding personal I see that.

But its really not twilight. the novel is more about survival and Fitting in as a good person amongst those who hate your every being, but trying to make a difference and still be a good person.

The romance are totally different and while important are the center focus as the commercials lead you to believe. Melanie Had already had a relationship with Jared, before the book even starts they're together.

Mar 27 - 04:57 PM

Adam Hinkle

Adam Hinkle

And while yes she convinces Wanda(alien) to love Jared By sharing her memories effective turning them into her own personal memories(which in itself is unique). But she end up yes falling for another man(Ian) but their relation spring because of his acceptance to what she is. A being whose only thought is of good, she will sacrifice everything she has to do what right. All while trying to survive and evade another Alien Who's hell bent on Killing everyone she(Wanda/Melanie) cares About(and I'm not talking romance) I mean Her family, friends, Brothers, Uncle, The last of the human race two which she has seen of how good they can be.

It more about Familial Love and survival than anything else.

None of that sounds any thing like twilight, really I see almost no comparison

Mar 27 - 04:57 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

Adam, I appreciate you trying to explain, but you've missed my point. Thematically, the whole outsider trying to fit in and a love (insert shape), while paranormal happenings are occurring. It sounds very similar to Twilight.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I just can't see past the bigger similarities.

Mar 27 - 05:02 PM

Adam Hinkle

Adam Hinkle

Alex.

No people are not arrogant For not liking this movie. That is fine As long as they have seen it.

People are arrogant because they are judging this without having seen the film. People are Arrogant for judging this without having read the source material. People are arrogant because they have no Factual evidence what so ever(20 pages doesn't count) to fully judge this movie.

Mar 27 - 05:03 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

Any kind of response, Adam? I think I've made my point. Interested to hear your retort. If you convince me that this isn't like Twilight, given what I've said, then I can change my biased opinion on this movie. Not to say I'd go and see it though.

Mar 27 - 11:46 PM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

He already explained. You're just not listening, or incapable of listening. Your basis for comparing Twilight to Host was specious and weak to begin with; you'll be shocked to know they are in fact two separate movies! One is called "The Host" and the other is called "Twilight". One stars Saoirse Ronan and the other stars Kristen Stewart. Give yourself a pat on the back for noticing it's the same author. Congrats. Meanwhile, if you have a problem with the theme or genre, that's fine, it's just not the movie for you. But when you take movies seriously enough to pick fights with people based on nothing it's a sign of cognitive dissonance. Adam isn't really obligated to clarify anything for someone who hasn't demonstrated reasoning skills beyond a 2nd grader. It takes more than capitalization and complete sentences to make an argument. Better luck next time?

Mar 28 - 03:01 AM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

Fuck yeah! I got a response from In Your Dreams! That's all I needed to read.

But anyways, I wouldn't consider the conversation between myself and Adam to be a "fight". Just want the guy's opinion is all. There was no insult slinging or name calling, staples of an internet fight. Maybe you're just upset that two people can have a conversation on a film without inserting insults. It seems it's all you can do.

Mar 28 - 08:27 AM

Jeff P.

Jeff Walken

I've seen a lot of comments from this In Your Dreams guy and none of them even remotely make sense.

Mar 28 - 08:44 AM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

It seems all In Your Dreams is capable of is insulting people in a highly pretentious manner. That's why I get a kick out of his posts. Some even make me laugh out loud due to how completely snooty he is. I really hope his comments are genuine and he's not just a troll.

Mar 28 - 09:08 AM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

Well I'm assuming that even if the books theme is not about lovey-dovey bullshit, I'm almost sure that they will try to make that the central theme in the movie as to please the teen-bopper crowd

Mar 28 - 12:30 PM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Sadly, David, In Your Dreams is a troll. Always will be.

Mar 28 - 09:15 AM

Victor T.

Victor Tudorica

David Tanny, you are right when you say its similar to Twilight because it features a love story around which supernatural events occur only that in this case the main character is much better constructed and interpreted and the supernatural events fit into a much more interesting story than Twilight (and the later point is imo a matter of personal taste)

Apr 5 - 01:48 PM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

So, Frederic, someone makes a solid argument and he's a troll because you disagree with him?

Mar 27 - 04:08 PM

Adam Hinkle

Adam Hinkle

Solid Argument? So if I think your stupid that a solid enough argument that you are? No

Mar 27 - 04:24 PM

Zane B

Chum Chum

what the fuck did you say?

Mar 28 - 07:07 AM

Joseph  E.

Joseph Enoch

Go suck a cock

Aug 1 - 10:07 AM

Molly Fontera

Molly Fontera

It sounds like an insult to call this science fiction.

Mar 27 - 12:07 AM

Aaron Gardner

Aaron Gardner

I'm gonna c this, not because i think it looks good but because it can't be worse than the other crap 2013 has brought us, can it?

Mar 23 - 11:07 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

There's a probable chance it will be.

Mar 27 - 03:49 PM

Adam Hinkle

Adam Hinkle

This Novel is barely anything like twilight. Yes it has a romance but that doesn't automatically make it Twilight. This is a far better novel written a lot better, with way more adult theme. Theme that make you think about how things work loyalty, yes love, and survival. Plus It was Directed and adapted by Andrew Niccol, It has Several academy award nominated actors this is a far better movie and novel then twilight.

Mar 22 - 01:41 PM

Julian Dent

Julian Dent

I've actually read the book, and it was impossible to separate it from Twilight. It has the unbelievably bland characters falling in love with each other for no apparent reason and the same horrible, reprehensible themes. Five years after reading this and I still can't get the image of the "heroes" kidnapping a teenager at the end so "Wanda" can have a body to have sex with her boring love interest in out of my mind. Tell me exactly how that was any different or morally better from what the "snatchers" were doing all along? The entire book was spent vilifying the aliens for what they were doing, and yet at the very they acted exactly the same as them, only Meyer tried feebly to justify it. These disgusting views are what more than anything makes this exactly like Twilight.

Mar 28 - 06:07 AM

Nora Rigney

Nora Rigney

Not to mention the oscar-nominated lead actress. Not exactly kristen stewart.

Mar 22 - 12:32 PM

Esteban Durán Fonseca

Esteban Durán Fonseca

Completely, it's not Twilight. Saoirse Ronan is incredible. Even when this gonna be rotten (I hope not) she's a incredible great best young actress today.

Mar 23 - 09:11 AM

Julian Dent

Julian Dent

Meryl Streep had Mama Mia. Jennifer Lawrence had House at the End of the Street. Ben Affleck had Gigli.

I rest my case.

Mar 28 - 06:00 AM

Alex Marshall

A Marshall

Jeremy Irons had Dungeons and Dragons, John Travolta had Battlefield Earth, Samuel L. Jackson had The Spirit. The list goes on and on.

Mar 28 - 07:17 AM

Esteban Durán Fonseca

Esteban Durán Fonseca

What about Rooney Mara? She had A Nightmare on Elm Street, and then she kicked ass with The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Mar 28 - 08:08 AM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Side Effects too. I think Rooney Mara is an excellent actress. Not to mention I would do lovely things to her as well.

Mar 28 - 08:11 AM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

You and me both, brother.

Mar 28 - 08:18 AM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Lol it's bad, man. Lisbeth Salander does something for me that not even the hottest actresses of today can do.

Mar 28 - 08:45 AM

Esteban Durán Fonseca

Esteban Durán Fonseca

I was so obsessed with MILLENIUM TRILOGY.

Mar 28 - 08:53 AM

Jonathan Rada

Jonathan Rada

I'm going to the midnight premiere just to see the people. I hear crazy shit happens at these Twilight (The Host in this case) premieres.

Mar 19 - 09:46 PM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

Prepare yourself for lots of soccer moms and cheesy dialogue!
Godspeed Mr. Rada!

Mar 28 - 12:33 PM

Diego Tutweiller

Diego John Rottweiler

Two words for the creators of this movie: COMMIT SEPPUKU.

Mar 19 - 06:32 PM

Hope Evans

Hope Evans

This is MUCH more original than Twilight, which sucked. The Host shows that Stephanie Meyer actually can write and create unique ideas and a solid story. I really liked the book. I have to say I'm not thrilled about the casting, but after second thought, this making of this movie actually put time into thinking about quality ACTING, unlike the Twilight franchise, which was all about looks and nothing about whether or not the hired actors could act. Which they can't. At all. All in all, I am excited for this. We'll see how it goes.

Mar 18 - 03:18 PM

Molly Fontera

Molly Fontera

What's unique about a happy version of the Body Snatchers?

Mar 27 - 12:07 AM

Nicholas Boardman

Nicholas Boardman

Incidentally, Star Trek once did a storyline where Beverly Crusher fell in love with a parasitic alien. The alien did not identify as being any one gender and was eventually placed in a female host, leading the two to amicably part ways.

The name of this episode? "The Host".

Apr 5 - 12:43 AM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Tweens and young women will pay to see this shit. And as long as they continue paying, Hollywood will make more movies like this.

Mar 18 - 08:05 AM

Mark Akintoye

Mark Akintoye

Yea, just because you have the emotion of a teaspoon, doesn't mean that everyone else does. This isn't shit, sir, this is magic: SM's redemption. This shows that Meyer can make books that aren't 99% romance and whining and 1% legit stuff. It may not be too original, but it's better then most of the crappy films that are coming out(Ahem, get your guns folks, Grown Ups 2 is coming out).

Mar 20 - 03:04 PM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Then go ahead and enjoy your films based on books for tweens. I'll enjoy real films.

By the way, please tell me you're kidding about Grown Ups 2...

Mar 23 - 08:12 AM

Kat Rogers

Kat Rogers

This is not a book for "Tweens." And anyone who says so hasn't read it, and therefor (imho) has no room to tell others that it's bad. I only hope they do it justice.

Mar 25 - 09:00 AM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

No, Chase. There will be a Grown Ups 2. God help us.

Mar 25 - 09:03 AM

Adam Hinkle

Adam Hinkle

Kat Roger Is right this isn't even close to twilight and is an adult novel not a "tween" book as you say. And how in any way is this not a real film excluding the fact that Stephanie wrote to novel its based on Remember Andrew Niccol has penned and directed this film there More then three actors who are academy award nominated. And a majority have been many great well received movies that did very well critically and very well in the box office

Mar 25 - 06:32 PM

Molly Fontera

Molly Fontera

How is it not a tween book? Is there a bunch of swearing? Sexual themes? (I'm talking real sex, not touching faces and barely kissing)

Mar 27 - 12:09 AM

Adam Hinkle

Adam Hinkle

Adult is more then profanity It the thought and themes behind them it what your think while reading not necessarily the contents. Sex and swearing doesn't make something adult if any thing in modern time it just makes it seem more juvenile.

And this does have sexual themes, and scenes, Even twilight had sex. It had full on sex, just because it wasn't describe in full detail doesn't mean it wasn't there.

Mar 27 - 12:04 PM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

It wasn't described in full detail because she knew that she would make more money from selling the book series to younger readers. That's why the story is under the guise of inteligence but it's really nothing more than brain candy for tweens.

Mar 27 - 12:17 PM

Adam Hinkle

Adam Hinkle

No it wasn't described because she religious, and doesn't feel the need to right in such a provocative way. seriously why are you even here you dont care about this in any way your just here to troll.

Mar 27 - 01:09 PM

Alex M.

Hipster Elitist Maverick

I guess her religious views didn't stop Edward and Bella from breaking the bed in the movie.

Mar 27 - 04:34 PM

Adam Hinkle

Adam Hinkle

But you forget she was married at that point and in the book its only alluded to after the fact.

Mar 27 - 05:35 PM

Kota Forde

Kota Forde

@Chase Nyland, you have commented on every single one of these things I have gone to. If you hate The Host so much, why give it so much of your time and energy?

Mar 27 - 01:19 PM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

I'm bored. I write for a living and when I hit a block, I visit this site.

Mar 27 - 02:00 PM

Adam Hinkle

Adam Hinkle

So your a troll jerk. good job. i bet your life must be so fulfilling.

Mar 27 - 03:28 PM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Yeah, but see, I'm not. By the way, go take a gander at the current score on the tomatometer.

You're welcome :)

Mar 27 - 04:06 PM

Adam Hinkle

Adam Hinkle

Because there an embargo on reviews and most of these people didn't seem to even pay attention most of them made multiple mistake when referencing characters and names. And most just bitch about SN and Twilight. Yeah they're unbiased.

Mar 27 - 05:37 PM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Oh my God lol. You are one whiny little faggot.

Mar 28 - 07:26 AM

Esteban Durán Fonseca

Esteban Durán Fonseca

Totally different than Twilight.

Mar 17 - 07:16 PM

Ryan Head

Ryan Head

Well it's not exactly a science fiction version of Twilight. Looking at the premise, it's more Invasion of the Body Snatchers with similar themes seen in the Twilight series.

Mar 16 - 03:35 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile