Review

Pacing
- The pacing was very good for the time restraints it has (800+ page book into 2 hours movie) thing flowed from scene to scene. The emotional flow is about the same as the book with pieces taken out to shorten the film

Action
- There gun fight and chases though they are quick and don last as long we can chalk that up mostly to length. Though there is not as much action and many my have thought. There a still scene intermixed helping the flow of the movie.

Cinematography
- Really nice looking Andrew Niccol does a fabulous Job using wide camera angles to show case the scenery Which is stunning even for a desert. He captures the emotion of character using the camera to show their face and eyes to help show you how the characters are felling. This was very well done.

Production
- I personally Love the cave scene I feel as though they did a really good job with something of this magnitude (a huge interior living cave system),
-The desert scene are well shot and make you feel lost as if you where in the desert with the characters
-The scene in Louisiana Are very well shot used many land marks that look and feel Futuristic and metallic.
-This is same look is used for the look of the vehicles, tools and accessories used and it's pulled off very well
- Has flashes of Andrew Niccol's visual style
-Which lead to Costumes, they were great as souls the where a vintage style, as the cave dwellers they look and feel worn in and practical.

Music
- Score throughout the film good - Scored by Antonio Pinto* He does a fabulous job using the score to help convey emotions and help the pacing of the movie flow
-There is also an official soundtrack that has many great artists, and it is very good and worth checking out bit and pieces of this are dispersed throughout the film.

Emotions
- It was touching in a few scenes, but at times I felt it kind of sputtered and never really took off. Andrew Niccol is not an actor's director and I wish he were because (as written below) some scenes the actors could've been directed/pushed more.

Acting
- Solid ... no weak links amongst the actors/actresses who had speaking parts.
- Saoirse was good, She thoroughly pulled off the duel roll of Melanie and Wanda, Which she separated by using different accents Melanie(southern, Wanda proper and soft) And she did very well my only Gripe was that to communicate while preventing confusion was to talk outside(no Voice over) as Wanda and talk inside (using a voice over) as Melanie, and feel it might have been better to keep some of the audiology in her head to better convey that, but that would be hard to do and would be confusing to the audience seeing as it?s the same voice.
- Chandler Canterbury Started out rocky his first experience could have been a little better But she is a very good young actor and can show a lot of emotion.
- William Hurt was, in my mind, the standout. I see critics really liking his performance. He was funny when needed and he really was this character.
- Max and Jake were good. They both have a very good presents in the film Jake is able to steel scenes to it balances out with Saoirse
-Boyd and Doc were very good. Though i wish they both got more screen time and character development

If I had to rank the cast -
William Hurt (great)
Boyd Holbrook (awesome screen presence)
Max Irons, Jake Abel (both were good)
Diane Kruger (Very solid)
Francis Fisher (solid but she had minimal screen time)
Saoirse Ronan (good to fantastic),
Chandler Canterbury (pretty good)

Directing
- It was good. He has an attention to detail, thought I do wish he could have fixed certain scene and flow like the rest to the movie, but those were very few and everything else worked.
- His visual style is great I personally love it.

8.5 Overall it was a solid movie, a solid adaption, but it felt a little rushed a point and is missing aspect from the source they could have lent to making it better.

Adam Hinkle
03-29-2013 06:47 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

lol whut

Mar 30 - 09:58 AM

Julia Pereira

Julia Pereira

Agree 100%

Mar 29 - 07:18 PM

Mary Schwindt

Mary Schwindt

I haven't seen the film but the book was awful.

Mar 29 - 07:11 PM

Adam Hinkle

Adam Hinkle

It was a very good film I'm not quite sure if I cant accurately tell you you will like it. I thoroughly enjoyed the book, but I'm a very romantic Person and I connect with that in the host. While I enjoy Stephanie Meyer i do not think she is the best author, Even thought The Host is much better written then Twilight. Her ability to tell a story is what really draws me to the Host.

My wife Who doesn't really Enjoy reading often, and would not read the host, enjoyed the movie.

Mar 29 - 07:30 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

Would you say this is better than the Twilight films?

Mar 29 - 07:00 PM

Adam Hinkle

Adam Hinkle

yes very much So. Thought the romance is a bit more prominent then in the books. It is a much more believable relation ship(considering the Female hold two entities) each one loves the other its not just a girl that just falls in love with everyone.
I understand the romance Scare a lot of Males away Most think its just stupid I Myself am a hopeless romantic to i relate to romance. if you do not like this aspect, and is what my prevent you from seeing it then dont see it.

many of the issue such as out of context dialog makes much more since seeing the movie, hearing them out loud by it self seems stupid but in context it's much better

The only issue I have is it felt slightly rushed. What can you say for a 800+ book to a 2 hr movie. But with in the context of the movie it still works some relationships and connection missing from the book but most are not need with in the movie.

My wife Came with me to see the movie(Ironically I'm the one who read the book and enjoy this kind of things)
But she thoroughly enjoyed it. The two guys next to me One who hadn't read the book seemed to enjoy it and left happy.

If that helps at all.

Mar 29 - 07:19 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

I don't mind romance in movies, as long as it doesn't feel forced and isn't corny.

I should applaud you for standing your ground against a wave of opposing viewpoints, mine included, without losing your cool.

Mar 29 - 07:25 PM

Adam Hinkle

Adam Hinkle

Some may seem Sort of Corny but only for the reason the One of the Character if forcing her emotion on the other. But it plays out in a way that not Every corny.

There may be some cheesy parts that may not appeal to you, The where just Odes to the fans. The guys next to be didn't seem to be to distracted and groan as if the were stupid my wife didn't find them to cheesy either.

I am trying. I have to say The many other on the forum did have be down going to the the movie I was almost expecting it to see bad but it was a very positive experience. And I should not have let them drag my opinions down. but over all they were wrong in my eyes.

And I can safely say they're just here to start problems but they can do what they want I don't care anymore.

Mar 29 - 07:35 PM

Adam Hinkle

Adam Hinkle

For got to add That the acting a leaps and bounds better then twilight every one is very expressive and you feel the emotions,in their faces as there acting.

Mar 29 - 07:25 PM

Adam Hinkle

Adam Hinkle

For got to add That the acting a leaps and bounds better then twilight every one is very expressive and you feel the emotions, in their faces as they're acting.

Mar 29 - 07:30 PM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

I wont be seeing this movie, but I do agree that I expect nothing but a good performance from Saoirse Ronan or however the fuck you spell her name.

Mar 29 - 07:43 PM

Adam Hinkle

Adam Hinkle

The other Handles them selves Very well, Jack Able and Max Irons play a very hard character not quite Sure how to handle things (His lover body come back) not quite on the scale of lets say walking dead But she's essentially dead to him so he acts out aggressively and he does a great job showing this. and yes her name is spelled Saoirse Ronan Pronounced like inertia

Mar 29 - 07:53 PM

Adam Hinkle

Adam Hinkle

The other Handles them selves Very well, Jack Able and Max Irons. Max plays a character that deals with alot of hard emotions not quite Sure how to handle things (His lover body come back) not quite on the scale of lets say walking dead(family and loved ones coming back as zombies) But she's essentially dead to him so he acts out aggressively and he does a great job showing this, as well as his realization that she is still there(works better then the book). and yes her name is spelled Saoirse Ronan Pronounced like inertia

Mar 29 - 07:55 PM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

Well any acting is better than staring off in the distance and running in the rain without a shirt lol

Mar 29 - 08:20 PM

Adam Hinkle

Adam Hinkle

O_O what I wasn't listening the distance was entrancing. All jokes aside yes they were much better.

Mar 29 - 08:29 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile