They call those "Professional Reviews?"

The 'Emperor' has no clothes. And I am talking about the herd of lemmings called professional reviewers. Each reviewer is afraid to look stupid in front of the other reviewers, so, when something that is an 'easy target' like The Host comes along, they can't really decide for themselves, but need to follow the rest of the herd. So we get reviews that make you wonder if they even watched the movie, let alone understood it. And we get a lot of reviews that don't even really deal with the movie, but with the reviewers own prejudices. Some of the comments I read were amazing. Complaints by one reviewer that the main character looked better in her silver night gown than she did in grubby cave clothes, and maybe they should have had more of the silver night gown. Or lamentations that William Hurt's character was put in a 'hippie pony tail' and wasn't that just ridiculous. Or one reviewer even wrote his personal opinion, hoping and wishing that this movie would fail, so we wouldn't have to see any more crap like this. Huh? Personal opinions are fine, but is this really professionalism? Why does Rotten Tomatoes even count the opinions of such 'professionals' let alone add their tally to the general review total? Hey, I'm seen this movie and I'm here to tell you that you can argue whether it was a great movie, a mediocre movie or a poor movie, and depending on who you are and your own personal preferences, you would be right. But none of that says anything about THE MOVIE. Just because it was written by Stephenie Meyer, who has 'sparkly' vampires and writes 'teenage love stories' doesn't mean that it is crap. I think people's jealousy of her millions of dollars in profits is coming out. Especially when she earned those millions of dollars by giving her fans EXACTLY the type of story they wanted. And it's funny because Twilight is much more popular among adults than among teens, and THE HOST is better written and this movie is better made than Twilight. But it still isn't everyone's cup of tea. AND it isn't bad or horrible. So could we get some reviewers who can deal with things as they really are? And maybe even be willing to make up their own minds based on what is REALLY there? You can always find something bad to say about ANYTHING, but that doesn't make it bad. This movie will stand the test of time much better than the opinions of some of its reviewers.
Frederic Civish
03-30-2013 11:23 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Diego Tutweiller

A Portrait of the Trollfighter as a Young Man

Hey! I remember this retard!

Sep 14 - 05:49 PM

Gary Hager

Gary Hager

I agree with you. I really like Sci Fi & Fantasy books and movie and I enjoy reading YA books. When I first saw the trailer for The Host I was excited to see it. Then I saw all of the reviews saying how bad it was and I decided not to go see it. I am glad I was not in the mode to watch more "repeats" on TV and went and rented The Host. I was very happy with the movie and enjoyed it very much. I am really getting tired of going to see a movie that the critics rave about and being bored silly and disliking. It seems like I am not seeing the same movie that they reviewed. The Host was a very good movie.

Aug 31 - 09:44 PM

Sam Lin

Sam Lin

I can't agree with you more. I don't like Twilight. And I didn't know the host is from Stephenie Meyer. I randomly pick it up from red box, because I seen most of the movie and I got free code. So I don't have any expectation. And I felt surprised. I don't like the scene after Wanda came back and found others but it was just 5 minutes. The main actress has a great performance. It is really unfair to her to rate this movie this low. And the story line is above average. 9% on rotten tomatoes ? That is just bias.

Aug 29 - 11:23 AM

Matthew Norton

Matthew Norton

Okay, when a reviewer insults a movie based on aesthetics, like costume and hair design, it's not very professional. When a reviewer insults a movie because the writing and acting were bad, you can make the argument that they're just nitpicking. But The host isn't a movie that fails JUST on shallow levels. This movie fails on every conceivable level. The actions of the characters make no sense, the story contradicts every explanation it tries to give us, and let's face it, the entire premise would co0me crashing down by the mere mention of colored contact lenses. I've never read the book, nor have I read the Twilight books... But this movie makes Twilight look like Citizen Kane.

Aug 22 - 12:52 PM

Sam Lin

Sam Lin

when you make a statement like "This movie fails on every conceivable level. The actions of the characters make no sense". You need to explain why. Otherwise you just make no sense.

Aug 29 - 11:25 AM

Matthew Norton

Matthew Norton

How about I give some examples?
-Several grown men, in the opening scene, get fended off by a teenager wielding what looks like a flashlight.
-After crashing a car, Wanderer lets Melanie trick her into walking off into the desert instead of following the road.
-Despite knowing that she's infested, and that she could be leading an invasion right to them, Melanie's family lets her in.
-"Wanderer" is considered a mouthful.
-An alien gets knocked unconscious after being slapped across the jaw.
-We get a half-assed explanation for why Melanie's consciousness didn't disolve, but we never learn why Wanderer let herself be manipulated.
-A guy forces a kiss on Melanie, firmly establishing himself as a potential rapist, but Melanie decides to trust him because he's human.

Do I need to continue?

Sep 2 - 10:29 AM

Robert Salaam

Robert Salaam

Just some counters:
1. They don't like violence. It was explained in the film and even in that scene they tried to calm her down because she was hostile.
2. Wanderer was awakened by Jeb with water. Not tricked. They crashed because Melanie tried to redirect Wanderer away from her destination to FT. Worth, they fought over the steering wheel and crashed. Once awakened, Wanderer was led off blind-folded and at gun point.
3. Uncle Jeb was questioned about why would he bring them with her as she could be leading other to them. He said that due to the fact that she was alone and dying in the desert, there was no way that was possible. He took a chance.
4. She wasn't slapped, she was struck with the butt of a rifle.
5. I don't know what you mean be Wanderer was manipulated. She resisted, then only agreed to help after she noticed the seeker's aggressiveness. Melanie flooded her with sentimental images, which made Wanderer feel sorry for her.
6. Which guy forced a kiss? Jared was in love with Melanie and Wanderer with the other guy.

Please continue, because I'm not sure we watched the same movie.

Oct 14 - 08:24 PM

Nabilah Othman

Nabilah Othman

i even wonder that the reviews are biased, just cause its from stephanie meyer, from her reputation regarding twilight. my problem with twilight is only due to her points on the characteristics of a vampire and say its a myth just to show a different ideology that we are used to... and kristen stewart awkward bella (i simply cant imagine her while reading the book after the first movie, but at least she did improve for the final movie) this movie might not be oscar worthy, but it's not that bad. i enjoy the same tho. :D

Aug 17 - 08:47 AM

Grace Anderson

Grace Anderson

If you're a professional reviewer, yeah you might think this sucks and blablabla but teenagers like me, actually had a nice time watching a movie.

Aug 9 - 10:11 AM

Sam Lin

Sam Lin

I am 30 something. A programmer. I still enjoy this movie. I think they are just bias. I am glad I didn't know this is from stephanie meyer before I rent it from redbox.

Aug 29 - 11:28 AM

Jamie Pinson

Jamie Pinson

Host was an easy target because it was a bad movie. I too once tried to pretend I liked it. Mainly because I loved the book so much but after a second viewing I couldn't deny the bad taste I'd left the movie theater with was real. It was a stinker, plain and simple.

Basically after the move the two of us who saw it didn't talk about it. Our conversation was like this: "Uh, did you like it?" "Yeah, how bout you" "Uhm yeah, it was....good" We put down 7 bucks each and neither wanted to let the other know it sucked and that we wasted our time and money back.

Here's a very good review of the movie I found from another fan of the book. I didn't write the review and hope they don't mind me sharing their link. They sum it up much better than I can.
http://www.hypable.com/2013/03/29/the-host-is-a-terrible-movie-from-a-readers-perspective/

Jun 30 - 08:19 PM

Cat MacRae

Cat MacRae

Thanks for the link. I felt exactly the same way about the movie. I'm 43 and an avid sci fi/fantasy reader. I enjoyed Twilight, though the movies were okay for visual thrills. I picked up The Host because of them and it was flawed, but intriguing. When I heard they were going to make a movie, I instantly knew it wouldn't be good, because most of the movie is Wanda and Melanie talking to each other in their heads. I was hoping for more visuals, like in Twilight, especially the other planets, that never materialized, were barely mentioned. Unfortunately the movie was actually worse than I expected.

Oct 18 - 07:32 PM

Susana M.

S M

I'm thinking they're letting pre-pubescent, love-stricken tweens write reviews...

Apr 8 - 11:06 AM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

Um... it's getting bad reviews so your comment makes no sense.

Apr 8 - 06:31 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

I think she means Frederick...

Apr 9 - 10:35 AM

Ana Gonzalez

Ana Gonzalez

The book was terrible. It was a herculean effort to finish it. She (the damn parasite) just wouldn't shut up! Also, why do I want to read 300 pages of the thoughts of some super overly annoying-selfless-wanna-be-martyr-alien running around in a dark cave. What pissed me off the most is Stephenie Meyer telling little girls that if some man tries to kill you and beats the crap out of you, not testifying is the brave thing to do. Just let it go and let the big men deal with it. Way to go Stephenie, set women's lib back 1000 years.

Apr 7 - 09:47 PM

Sam Lin

Sam Lin

You totally misunderstand why she didn't tell the truth. She doesn't lie. But she did lie for that guy because she realize why he was so angry. It was a very nice idea and consideration behind this.

Aug 29 - 11:32 AM

Jaime Lannister

Jaime Lannister

Given the ratings of the audience on this site it seems the majority of people dislike this film as well, not just the reviewers. No need to get so butthurt just because you liked it and so many others didn't.

Apr 7 - 04:13 PM

Molly Fontera

Molly Fontera

I bet you'd praise them to the heavens if they had the same view as you.

Apr 6 - 08:36 PM

Jamie Pinson

Jamie Pinson

Ok, well I'll totally take back what I said about Alex Maverick. I apologize. I so hate name calling but can easily see how after dealing with trolls all the time where you would just get sick of it and want to fire back so I hereby apologize to you Alex Maverick. It'd be pretty hypocritical for me to get caught up in it all and say I don't like you for getting caught up in it all too. Ok I saw the movie last night and I hate to say but I agree with all of you. I honestly liked the movie but only because I've read the book. And no, reading the book should never be a requirement for liking a movie. They really failed on so many levels to portray the story properly in the movie and if I'd just walked in off the street and watched the movie without the benefit of the book I doubt I would have liked it. I was able to fit in all the missing pieces in my head during the movie that they left out and enjoyed it for what it was though. I think it was a hard book to adapt to the screen. There's not a lot of action and most of it is just internal dialogue which they did a ok job with. Not spectacular though. I'd still like to know if anyone who does reviews or actually has some decent knowledge of Journalism/English writing liked the book better than Twilight. I really like the book and while I didn't hate Twilight I didn't think it was the best written books ever. So there's no reason to bash people who hated the movie. Even I can understand why they didn't like it and I loved the book. They failed to capture so much of what made me enjoy the book. Saoirse Ronan's acting was good but I thought they could have done so much more with such a talented actress.

Apr 5 - 11:03 AM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

I would be happy to help break down the book comparison with you, however, I didn't read all of The Host nor did I read any of the Twilight series. I hope you understand why lol. I do have a minor in Journalism.

As far as Alex is concerned, you always have the option to delete your own posts. To be honest with you, Jamie, I verbally destroyed you in another thread before I got to reading to some of your posts and I realized that you're actually a nice guy so I deleted a post of mine as well. Cheers.

Apr 5 - 01:20 PM

Jamie Pinson

Jamie Pinson

Thanks for the tip, think I got all the bad ones. It's so weird, I read a lot of books everything from Oscar Wilde to Clive Barker, and really like Robert R. Mccammon's writing so you'd think I'd be able to tell good writing from bad writing but unfortunately I really don't know squat when it comes to proper grammar, sentence structure, English in general, etc.

I appreciate the comments, I try real hard these days to not get caught up and think that my opinion is always right and everyone else is a moron but I'm still human and unfortunately I sometimes find myself following the trolls before I realize what I'm doing :/

Apr 6 - 10:39 PM

Nicholas Boardman

Nicholas Boardman

They're called paragraphs. Use them.

I'm glad to see you enjoyed the film, but that doesn't mean that everyone else has to.

Apr 4 - 09:55 AM

Jamie Pinson

Jamie Pinson

Sorry if the above is an eyeful, I so totally suck at writing properly and typing 120+wpm I sometimes get carried away. Not sure if your post was for me or not but I'm sure my latest post above definitely qualifies. Will try in the future to try and make it easier on the eyes.

Apr 5 - 11:05 AM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Nah, that was for Frederic Dipshit.

Apr 5 - 01:20 PM

Nicholas Boardman

Nicholas Boardman

What Chase said ;)

Apr 6 - 01:33 AM

Jamie Pinson

Jamie Pinson

Have any of you critics read the book yet? I haven't seen the movie so can't comment on it but I was wondering if you'll had the same views on the book. Is it just the movie, was the book as bad in your opinion, etc. I actually liked the book quite a bit so was very curious. I thought Meyers writing was much better than it was in Twilight but maybe it's just me. Not trying to be funny or anything I'd really like to hear your views. Thanks.

Apr 3 - 04:01 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

Haven't read the book, but attempted Twilight, just so I could have some ground to stand on when I was trashing it. Couldn't stand it. But that was due to Bella being a bitch.

Maybe The Host is different...

Apr 3 - 04:06 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

I've always been of the opinion that one shouldn't have to read the book a movie is based on to b e able to enjoy it.

Apr 3 - 04:12 PM

Alex Kim

Alex Kim

The people who fuckin denied this movie are all stupid in their fuckin brains. They have no feelings or emotions, give at least some credit. I 100% know this movie is better than their career as a movie blogger. So ****!!!!

Apr 3 - 01:33 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

You said "fuckin" twice, yet you censored yourself at the end. Any reasoning behind that?

Apr 3 - 01:46 PM

Alex Maverick

Hipster Elitist Maverick

Don't think so.

Apr 3 - 02:01 PM

Garrett Daniels

Garrett Daniels

Probably a teenage Twilight fantard

Apr 4 - 09:06 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

Alex, just because we are more emotionally developed then pre teen girls (absolutly no offense meant to pre-teen girls) doesn't mean we lack emotions

Apr 3 - 02:07 PM

Jamie Pinson

Jamie Pinson

Don't be rude Alex Kim. Don't you guys and gals understand what "opinions" are? If everyone in the world but you hates a movie then why should you care. It entertained you. You enjoyed it. Who gives a crap what anyone else thinks. Movies, music, etc are subjective. Not everyone likes the same thing. If the movie touched you in some way then it did it's job. We're all wired differently so you can't blame others if it didn't reach them the same way it did you and vice versa but you will probably NEVER be able to change someone elses mind on whether they do or don't like something.

Apr 3 - 04:08 PM

Molly Fontera

Molly Fontera

You'd just love them if they had the same bias as you. Js.

Apr 6 - 08:38 PM

------

Scott Hunter

Don't listen to the idiots attacking your post. As soon as they resort to name-calling and profanity, they reveal themselves for who and what they are. It is those sorts of people that might cause an alien parasitic race to invade our bodies and take control of our world in order to save us from ourselves. I enjoyed your post; the points you make are valid, and your opinion is one I support. Too often good movies are trashed by those who lack the heart and imagination to fully understand them.

Apr 3 - 05:52 AM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

"Don't listen to the idiots attacking your post. As soon as they resort to name-calling and profanity, they reveal themselves for who and what they are"

Anyone else notice the irony here?

Apr 3 - 06:04 AM

------

Scott Hunter

Nope. Because I wasn't talking to you or addressing you in a needlessly uncivil manner. Your name calling was direct and unwarranted. No irony here.

Apr 3 - 09:05 AM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Scott, just stop. You're going to say something that will make you appear even dumber than you really are. Although, you may have already accomplished that.

Apr 3 - 09:14 AM

Hunter Primm

Hunter Primm

You said idiots attacking your post and later said they reveal themselves for who they really are when they resort to name calling and profanity. Well, you called those people idiots. You basically just did what you said they do. Just thought I would shed some light.

Apr 3 - 03:48 PM

------

Scott Hunter

You know, in retrospect, I don't completely disagree with you Hunter (nice name, btw). But I think there is a major qualitative difference in directly calling someone a harsh name when addressing them (such as saying "you effing moron"), as opposed to telling someone else not to pay attention to "the idiots" that are attacking them. My comment was addressed to the original poster, not anyone else, in just the way you might try to comfort someone who was wronged by others. Perhaps I should have used the phrase "haters" instead. That would have been a better choice on my part lol.

Apr 3 - 05:55 PM

------

Scott Hunter

Aww. That's so cute. A real, live internet troll. How fun! And apparently successful, because your buddy Frederic turned tail and ran away from this site completely. Good job scaring him off. Your mom must be so proud of you.

So Chase, why exactly do you find it entertaining to belittle others? Why do you take pleasure in wounding with words? Why not spend all that fabulous energy of yours to at least engage others in meaningful debate, rather than just calling them f***in morons or whatever?

Apr 3 - 02:33 PM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Interesting of you to ask, Scott. I also think it's cute that you assume I'm a troll who lives with my folks simply because I challenged your comment. I'm immune to your snooty sarcasm.

To answer your initial question, I have an understanding of the internet. Therein that understanding are a few elements that are the linear roots of the world wide web. One of those elements is the ability to express my opinions as I so choose. Another is the ability to properly identify an internet "troll." Since you clearly don't understand what a troll is, I will allow you to wallow in your misconceptions of what they really are. Perhaps you will grow tired of your ignorance and eventually do some research of your own. Or better yet, cancel your internet subscription altogether.

You do not sound inteligent, in fact, you are a hollow shell of someone who pretends to sound smart. I'm guessing that you are a poor judge of character and quality which is why you most likely are alone and which is why you chose to defend the ramblings of a nitwit pertaining to this less than stellar film. I am not intimidated nor am I phased by your sophomoric remarks and I hope you get hit by a bus.

(See what I did there? I took full advantage of the internet's option to execute my freedom of expression!)

:)

Apr 3 - 02:54 PM

Hunter Primm

Hunter Primm

Well done, Chase.*claps*

Apr 3 - 03:52 PM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

*bows*

Apr 3 - 04:19 PM

------

Scott Hunter

Yes, yes, Chase. You have expressed so much. And you have most certainly exercised your freedom of speech. But to what end? To hurt and tear down? To make personal attacks on the lives and/or feelings of others? Even though you are free to entertain cruel or inhuman thoughts, why do so?

If I were to distill all you have said to it's very essence, it amounts to no more than a playground taunt. It is nothing more than than the adult version of saying "you're a big dummy".

You clearly have a prodigious intellect. You can turn a phrase fairly well. It seems like such a waste to squander it in foolish, groundless insults. It pleases you somehow, but that, I suppose, is what disturbs me. There is no joy and nothing of worth in seeking the pain of others, even if it is only emotional distress you wish to cause. Stand up, Chase, walk away from ugliness and incivility. Lift someone and make their day better. I don't despise you for your harsh words. I wish only you had a better grasp on the ramifications of what you do when you throw barbs at the undeserving.

Apr 3 - 05:47 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

I'll have you know that Chase makes my day better, and many others can testify to the same.

Apr 3 - 05:52 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

Chase is a fucking patriot. He's entertaining, unlike Scott's extremely long winded and pretentious posts. And he's funny, probably the funniest poster on RT. So what if he rubs some users the wrong way? It's the internet. His posts are tame compared to many other people online. Try looking at videos of Autistics on YouTube and tell me Chase is worse than some of those people.

Apr 3 - 05:57 PM

Frederic Civish

Frederic Civish

Actually, I haven't turned tail and run or been scared off. Far from it. I just realize that everyone is different and even though I think they may be wrong and they may be idiots, I am never going to change their minds by arguing over things. It is a lifetime of experiences that leads some people to be losers and causes them to fail to appreciate things that other people appreciate. So why should I even try? On the other hand, it is sometimes interesting to read the point of view of other posters, especially those who actually have something to say that isn't just, "Blah blah blah. This sucks."

Apr 3 - 08:34 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

come now Fredric, The Host was the best comedy I've seen in theaters!

Apr 3 - 10:27 PM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

So many compliments!! Why, I'm flattered!

:)

Apr 4 - 06:03 AM

This comment has been removed.

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

Thank you for this comment. It helped me get over the butt hurt I was feeling about negative Evil Dead reviews. You are now welcome to drink at my table.

Apr 3 - 04:07 PM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Thank you, Jamie. Cheers. And actually, Alex isn't a bad dude. Give him a chance, man. :)

Apr 3 - 04:18 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

Scott, quit with the high and mighty bullshit. You are no better than the folks you are condemning. You may not curse, but you are just as quick to insult as anyone else here. You call us idiots, then you imply Chase lives with his mother. It seems you aren't so saint-like as you believe yourself to be.

Maybe you should practice what you preach. You fucking hypocrite.

Apr 3 - 05:45 PM

------

Scott Hunter

Actually, Chase implied that he lived with his mother; I made no comments whatsoever about his living situation. I never claimed to be better than anyone, I just have an aversion to needless cruelty, but that seems to be the rule here. And that is your option. I judge no one for it, I just wish people would live with less vitriol and more mutual support. My dream, even if it isn't yours.

Apr 3 - 06:01 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

Well, I can't really argue with that.

I don't consider the posts of myself, Chase, or anyone else here as "cruel", though. We may toss insults around, but we don't revel in cruelty. And most of the time, at least on my part, I'm joking around.

If someone feels I'm being harsh, I'll usually lay off. So far, nobody has complained about me, or Chase. And usually, I'm a good judge of harshness, and I always refrain from it.

Apr 3 - 06:08 PM

------

Scott Hunter

I like this glimmer of humanity I see in you, David. I knew it was there, somewhere. And yeah, I get that this is all a bit of game (and I wasn't above that aspect myself). Busting chops is an integral part of pretty much every work environment I've been in, and I don't exactly abstain. Boys will be boys. Maybe I will do what I initially joined this site to do--post a "controversial" movie review. Then, if you are so inclined, I invite you and chase to mercilessly dissect. That, to me, is much more fun than the straight up name-calling ;)

Apr 3 - 08:27 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

I'm up for it if you are, Scott.

Apr 3 - 10:34 PM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

See, I like this. Abrasive comments and difference of opinion both do not always have to result in altercations. Scott, I never disliked you, man. No use in dwelling on falsified hatred.

Apr 4 - 06:01 AM

------

Scott Hunter

No hatred here, Chase. I wouldn't judge you for just a few random posts on a single page, anyway, and I believe my self-esteem is still fully intact. You obviously have a devoted posse here (I will call them Nyland's Disciples...has a sort of ring to it), so others definitely see something of value in what you do. I imagine I'll "see you around" here sometime...

Apr 4 - 06:59 AM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Nyland's Disciples? I don't know about all that lol. David Tanny, Brian Harris, Frankie Gilmore...we all complement each other. I wouldn't say that one of us is more revered than the other. We're just regular guys like you. We just seem to have chemistry when it comes to discussing films and most of the time our insults are just for fun.

Apr 4 - 08:12 AM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

All hail Nyland!(see what I did there?)

Apr 6 - 09:28 PM

Elisabeth Chen

Elisabeth Chen

what a bunch of cyber bullies.

Apr 2 - 09:03 PM

Molly Fontera

Molly Fontera

Easy to say that when people merely disagree with you and nothing more..

Apr 6 - 08:40 PM

Diego Tutweiller

Also, the intro sentence on your mega-paragraph looks like it was written by a six-year-old.

Apr 2 - 06:49 PM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

The scary thing is that this jackass isn't trolling.

Apr 2 - 01:28 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

He's genuinely retarded!

Apr 2 - 01:56 PM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

He has to be! Lol I've never seen anything like this.

Apr 2 - 02:10 PM

Csaba Csorba

Csaba Csorba

'This movie will stand the test of time much better than the opinions of some of its reviewers.' Honestly, I doubt that anyone (haters & defenders alike) will remember this flick.

Apr 2 - 11:42 AM

Diego Tutweiller

Too long; didn't read.

Apr 1 - 05:24 PM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

No. What you are saying is not true. You're just making excuses for the horrendous score.

Apr 1 - 02:46 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

So you're saying that unless people feel the same way you do about this movie, they are mindless sheep? Sure

Apr 1 - 08:15 AM

Tyler H.

Tyler H

I, for one, really liked this movie. And no, I'm not a Stephenie Meyer defender. I hate Twilight. But I enjoyed this movie. Entertaining sci-fi, good acting from Saiorse Ronan and Diane Kruger, and Andrew Niccol's a pimp. I thought he did a good job. I've only seen two of his films (this one and In Time), but he has yet to disappoint me. I really like him as a writer/director and I look forward to whatever his next project may be.

Mar 31 - 11:17 AM

Preston Norton

Preston Norton

Guy... this movie was TERRIBLE, in every sense of the word. Not one thing made it even redeemable. I definitely feel there are types of stories that appeal to certain people (I happen to enjoy B-grade horror movies quite a bit), but this movie is lazy and has the complexity of a 6th grade dance. It's sounds more like you're on the Stephanie Meyer defense wagon, protecting a truly garbage entry into a medium of storytelling that people are very critical about since there have been many years to produce shining examples of what the standard of excellence is. So, in a sense, you're on the equal but opposite end of the sin spectrum that you're fighting.

Mar 31 - 10:33 AM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

But in all seriousness, what does it matter to you what the critics have to say? It didn't stop you from seeing the movie, obviously. And you liked it. Isn't that enough for you?

I think you are just upset that professionals don't think the latest Meyer bowel movement was high art. And maybe you haven't noticed that the audience rating is dropping, so it's not just the critics.

Mar 30 - 11:37 PM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

Damn it man, you always beat me to the punch on these threads. I completely agree with you.

Mar 31 - 12:03 AM

Frederic Civish

Frederic Civish

I wonder if some of you guys even know how to use your brain, or if you are just stupid trained monkeys, who know how to use other people's stuff, but can't think on their own. ". . . in all seriousness, what does it matter to you what the critics have to say? It didn't stop you from seeing the movie. . . " Gee. In all seriousness, what a stupid comment. No thought there. Just repeat other things you have read. You make it sound line, "in all seriousness" there should be no reason why I care what the critics say. But there are many valid reasons why I could care. Maybe I liked the book and I want her to write more. Maybe I liked the movie and I want to see the sequels. Not going to happen soon if it is a flop, in part because of poor criticism. Maybe I think that the feelings of teenage girls are just as valid as your own feelings and deserve a bit more respect. Maybe I like Stephenie Meyer and I respect what she has written, if I had done what she has done then I would be very proud of my work. Maybe I think the actors and director deserved better for their efforts than what they are getting. Maybe I like science fiction and want it ALL to succeed so I can see more movies that deal with things that interest me. Etc. Etc. Etc. How much did you really think about that ". . . what does it matter to you?" Duh. Of course, I shouldn't really worry about it. Even stupid trained monkeys who don't really know how to think are still just doing the best that they can.

Apr 1 - 12:33 AM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

You are a fucking moron. Movies like this will continue to hit theaters so long as people SEE THEM. The critic reviews have little effect on a crowd pleaser like this. You enjoyed the movie and that's great. Glad you had fun. Now, goddammit, PLEASE stop your whining and your bitching that others have their own opinions about this nonsense. Just shut the hell up, you whiny little girl.

Apr 1 - 07:49 AM

Ana Gonzalez

Ana Gonzalez

Wait, I am so confused right now? Are you an old man? Are you honestly worried about teenage girls' feelings? Anyone else creeped out by this? Please tell me you are worried about your own daughter's feelings?! And no, I would not be proud if I were Meyer. Her books are jokes and poorly written.

Apr 7 - 10:08 PM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

...I'm in love.

Aug 12 - 12:47 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile