Jennifer Lawrence is a bad actor?

Micah Stephens
02-5-2013 11:11 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Meme

Meme Averin

I don't think Jennifer Lawrence is a bad actor, I also don't think she is great. I think she is good most of the time if we are speaking on acting chops alone, especially compared to some other actors out there. I have seen eight of her movies, including her three Oscar nominated performances. I wasn't particularly floored by any of them, but out of the three, Winter's Bone was the most worthy of an Academy Award nomination, IMO. Her character in Silver Linings Playbook is a clinically depressed sex addict who not only just lost her husband, but also her job. With a character like that I would think the actor would bring so much more range to the role; especially under the tutelage of a director like O'Russell. I felt nothing from her in that movie, JL as Tifany was very monotone to me. Wich is why anyone who's read the Hunger Games books understand why she makes a great Katniss. Katniss doesn't wear her heart on her sleeve and Jennifer Lawrence is very good at portraying her characters like that. She is not an emotional/expressive actor from what I've seen, I wish she would let go more. Hell, come to think of it, Katniss Everdeen is more Oscar-worthy than Tifany. She was okay in House, although that movie itself is pretty generic. Though she did better as Rosalyn, I don't think it was one of the top performances of the year to be nominated for/win a BAFTA or Globe.

All in all, though I think her acting is overrated at times, I do like Jennifer Lawrence the celebrity (though I wish she would be less open in interviews eg diarrhea problems on Letterman.) However, I do get annoyed when I hear her dubbed as a "phenomenal actress," the "Meryl Streep of her generation." I can think of twenty other actresses under the age of thirty with better range and bigger acting chops than her. Actresses like Emma Stone, Saoirse Ronan, Carey Mulligan, Mia Wasikowska, Keira Knightley and Elizabeth Olsen, Dakota Fanning to name a few. I understand why she is getting all of this exposure: back to back AA nominations including a win, two major franchises, and the biggest movie of 2013 under her belt. That said, no matter how much I like her, I'm sick of hearing about her too. I like when celebrities disappear for a while and when they come back you realize how much you missed them. I wish Jennifer Lawrence would give us a chance to miss her.

Feb 28 - 11:51 PM

Dane Scoffone

Dane Scoffone

So i see some like minded people lol ...I was wondering if anybody thought the same thing... Jennifer Lawrence IS extremely overrated IMO..I don't know what the big deal is about her acting I don't know why the academy is giving her so much recognition. Maybe because they gave bad grandpa a nod make up..Ever since they snubbed Mickey Rourke for the wrestler over sean penn i lost faith in the Oscars it seems to be more of a popularity contest nowadays rather than being actually talent based. She is just average to me, just ok and she wasnt great in American hustle either like some other people have said. She attempts and tries to play an unstable mother... you call that a New York accent wow it's actually funny it's laughable.

Jan 25 - 03:19 PM

Ethan M.

Ethan Martin

I couldn't agree with you more. In the 2 films I've seen with her ("American Hustle" and "silver Linings Playbook") I have hated her guts. She played the exact same character. Completely unlikable and full of herself. She doesn't deserve any of the credit she has gotten so far, in my opinion anyway. I wouldn't say she's a bad actress though. Just one of the most overrated.

May 4 - 07:26 PM

Sabrina Fernández

Sabrina Fernández

She's not a bad actress. But she is too overrated. She shouldn't have won the Oscar, that's true. In my opinion, Jessica Chastain deserved it.
There are many other actors/actresses too underrrated who are more talented than her.

Dec 12 - 06:27 AM

Asher Port

Asher Port

Do we even care what the academy thinks anymore? The problem is she's such an average actress..

Nov 21 - 10:03 PM

Luke Dobson

Luke Dobson

She's alright. I don't think she deserved that Oscar.
Cue the replies calling me a dick!

Oct 18 - 07:41 AM

Jason T.

Jason Turno

I think she's a good actress. She has Lots of Talent and Charisma, However she did not deseveve an Oscar for that Over Rated film, I can't even remember the title.

Nov 2 - 12:30 PM

Roberto  B.

Roberto Buenstroso

no she is la mejor estrella de cinema! i love her very mach

Aug 23 - 04:55 PM

Catherine Barra

Catherine Barra

The Academy might disagree with you.

Aug 20 - 01:03 PM

Branden M.

Branden Mata

She's a fantastic actress. People say "this is your opinion". Nope, I'm sorry its fact and your opinion is wrong if you think she's a bad actress. It's that simple.

Jul 23 - 01:04 PM

Marc Cerone

Marc "Cerone" Chaudry

I didn't really like this film as much as everyone else, the love story in it was unnecessary, but te world is done very well though, and the acting is great, there is just something about it that isn't very memorable or mind-blowing.

Aug 17 - 05:45 PM

Megan S.

Megan Souls

jennifer lawrence isn't necessarily a bad actress - she played Katniss extremely well in The Hunger Games plus she made an extremely convincing character out of Agnes in Poker house however I don't think she deserved an oscar for Silver Linings Playbook. She wasn't bad in it, but she wasn't fantastic in it either. She won her oscar based on personality more than talent. And if she didn't win it because of her personality, it was because of her looks, and without make-up or photoshop, she isn't even that attractive. So, she isn't exactly a BAD actress, just a bit hard to swallow and very annoying at times. I also dislike the overly dramatic feel she brings to every roll when it isn't needed. She was also shit in Winters Bone.

Jun 28 - 10:22 AM

Ibrahem Elhai

Ibrahem Elhai

i think so she is the most overrated actress ever i am sorry but i am not blinded by her hotness !!! the oscars are trying to make her a star while she don't deserve she looks like kristen stewart is the one who taught her to act .
Note: Naomi or Emmanuelle one of them should have taked the oscar not this bitch

Jun 24 - 04:20 AM

Branden M.

Branden Mata

She's a fantastic actress. Anyone who doesn't think so is just a hater honestly. I don't see how you can think she's a bad actress. I understand theres opinions but come on...she's just a great actress and has proved it multiple times.

Jun 18 - 10:02 AM

David Steely

David Steely

I find Jennifer Lawrence to be severely overrated. I've seen at least 5-6 of her movies and have never been slightly moved or impressed by any of her performances. The fact that she got an oscar for her role in silver linings annoys me to no end. What about that performances was oscar worthy? to me, she played a bitchier/sluttier version of her own personality. I'm starting to wonder if the academy is just trying to make a star out of her, because surely there was an actress more deserving of the award..

Jun 16 - 12:20 AM

Jacob Muryasz

Jacob Muryasz

silver lining's playbook is severely overrated. However much of America is into simple minded mainstream BS. She's a pretty putrid actor and some award gifted by a bunch of clueless critics does not change my opinion of that. She was pretty good in hunger games but in all of her other movies her acting/personality comes off as very artifical. Not impressed. To each their own though.

May 25 - 02:53 PM

Steve Ibarra

Steve Ibarra

"Pretty good in Hunger Games but all of her other movies her acting/personality comes off as very artificial"

So, are we really supposed to take your comment seriously?

Jun 16 - 02:16 PM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

How does it feel being severely retarded?

Jun 20 - 01:30 PM

Conor Fogarty

Conor Fogarty

Watch it! Were it not for the anonymity of the internet, I am highly doubtful you would ask that.

Sep 7 - 12:02 AM

Chiek Er

Chiek Er

Jennifer Lawrence's star will shine far and bright for a long long time to come. Her wholesome personality adds to her incredible charm that no young actress comes my mind that deserves a comparison. Just thinking of Jennifer sends shivers of excitement down my spines again and again.

Apr 30 - 11:41 AM

Jessica Dolly

Jessica Dolly

wow thats interesting. so many people are so angry because you dont like the same actress? i mean i think shes great but im not going to join a discussion just to berate you for having a different opinion than me. i understand you guys want to defend something your excited or passionate about, but whoa. maybe cool down a little? maybe have an actual discussion? im actually interested. micah, i gather you didnt like the movies youve seen of hers. do you think it was more her or just the movie premise/dialogue?

Apr 14 - 12:13 AM

Micah Stephens

Micah Stephens

Well, that's a pretty good question. I actually liked The Hunger Games premise but couldn't stand Lawrence's acting, but The House At The End of The Street didn't only have bad acting from her, but it also had a very poor premise to begin with. I have not seen any of her other movies except for The Winters Bone (or Bones, I'm just too lazy to check) but to me that movie was too forgettable for me to remember the slightest things (Lawrences acting being one of them). So all of the movies that I have saw with her in it were mainly poorly bad out of acting (but I only seen 3 so who am I to judge).

Apr 15 - 08:37 PM

Vaibhav Gupta

Vaibhav Gupta

i can vouch for x men she sucked in that movie.

Aug 8 - 09:43 AM

Vaibhav Gupta

Vaibhav Gupta

i can vouch for x men she sucked in that movie.

Aug 8 - 09:43 AM

Matt S.

Matt Smith

I don't think this is a serious question anymore (or ever really could have been). The real question is just how great of an actress is Jennifer Lawrence? I would say pretty damn amazing for her age (and superior to almost anyone out there right now that's her senior).

I'll add another movie I strongly recommend people see- The Poker House. This was her first movie she plays lead in as a 17 or 18 year old. It's a REALLY disturbing, twisted movie about her as a 14 year old daughter of a coked out prostitute taking care of her 2 younger sisters. And of course, all that goes with that type of environment. It's depressing but uplifting at the same time. She's ABSOLUTELY incredible in it- portraying events and emotions no 17 year old should even know how to grasp.

Mar 6 - 02:15 AM

Matthew Arndt

Matthew Arndt

I believe Jennifer is a fantastic actress. I would agree with Danny that to get a better idea of her interpretation of Katniss one should read the books. In my opinion Lawrence was one of the best decisions concerning the franchise. I would also recommend seeing Silver Linings Playbook to really get a good idea of her range of acting. She's a 22 year old who managed to play a 30 year old sex addict, and incredibly convincing at that. I wouldn't think about her as "just another teen actress with no real future". She's already proven to be so much more than that.

Mar 5 - 01:53 PM

Danny M.

Danny Malone

If anyone believes she is a bad actress, and they are basing on The Hunger Games without reading the books, I can understand that. Her character seems to lack emotional depth, but she plays the part exactly how it was supposed to be played. Other than the Hunger Games, I've only seen two of her films, but with those performances she has became my favorite young actress. She was amazing in Winter' Bone, and I believe she was 19 at that time. Even if you didn't like the movie, I can't understand not respecting her well crafted performance, but everyone has an opinion. I will say if you've yet to be impressed by her yet, at least give Silver Linings Playbook a watch. Not only is it her finest performance, but one of the better performances turned in by ANYONE in recent history. She ran the gamut of emotion and maintained believablity throughout. She was funny and also had emotional depth. I know I'll be watching her in whatever she's in next for sure. As far as Last House On The Left goes, you can only be as good as your source material...

Mar 3 - 11:17 PM

amwp

Angel Wong

actress** and HELL NO! Whoever gets a nomination and an Academy Award by the age of 22 is talented. And you can't prove me wrong. God, just watch Winter's Bone, please.

Feb 25 - 06:56 PM

Micah Stephens

Micah Stephens

I couldn't care less about what kind of awards she got because that doesn't make me think of her any better. And the only movies I have seen with her in it are, The Hunger Games, Last House On The Left, and The Winter's Bone (yeah, I think Winter's Bone sucked). I have never seen Silver Linings Playbook yet and therefore, my thoughts on her are the same.

Mar 1 - 09:06 PM

Kelera Ganivatu

Kelera Ganivatu

o yeah....and how many movies have you appeared in...umm none....speaks volume of your judgement.

Mar 9 - 03:33 PM

Micah Stephens

Micah Stephens

That is the most stupidest thing I ever heard. What if I was in a movie? Could I criticize her then? Do I have to like every single actor/actress since I have never appeared in a movie, Or is she just special exception?

Mar 14 - 01:04 PM

Susana M.

S M

You need to see Silver Linings Playbook then. You've seen her play relatively simple characters, you can't judge an actor's skills from those. Besides, that's the movie that got her the Oscar, so it would only make sense that you watch it before you make up your mind about her as an actress. Just saying.

Apr 24 - 01:23 PM

Micah Stephens

Micah Stephens

By the way, I never said she didn't have talent. Plus, it says "Jennifer Lawrence is a bad actor?" not "Jennifer Lawrence is a bad actor!".

Mar 2 - 10:43 AM

Hope Evans

Hope Evans

As far as technical acting goes, Jennifer Lawrence has been brilliant in every part she played. Obviously you liking the movie in which is in is all about preference. I loved Winter's Bone and Poker House. Those have been her two best performances in my opinion. I thought she should have won an Oscar for WB and SLP should have been her second.

Mar 29 - 01:19 PM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

Seeing Silver Linings Playbook, I have seen very few actresses who can capture that amount of emotion and believability as her. She felt like an actual person, not some emotionless, flat, former child actor (Kristen Stewart)

Feb 19 - 12:34 PM

Micah Stephens

Micah Stephens

I can believe that, I posted this before I ever even heard of that movie

Mar 1 - 09:07 PM

Meme

Meme Averin

And yet emotionless and flat are two words I would use to describe her performance in the movie. I wish I saw what you did.

Mar 1 - 12:01 AM

Tony Stark

sam varma

just fuck off! she is the sexiest bitch ever!

Feb 12 - 12:25 AM

Micah Stephens

Micah Stephens

So you watch her just for her looks? Interesting...

Feb 16 - 07:35 AM

Susana M.

S M

LOL you're so deep...

Apr 24 - 01:24 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile