Weekly Ketchup: I Am Legend Director for Catching Fire?

Plus, new roles for Guy Pearce, Charlize Theron, Michael Douglas, and Steve Carell.

This week's Ketchup includes new movies based on TV's The Rockford Files, the Disney ride Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and DC Comics' Lobo, and new roles for Michael Douglas, Guy Pearce, Mark Ruffalo and Charlize Theron.

This Week's Top Story

KATNISS MAY BE A LEGEND IN CATCHING FIRE

With a November 22, 2013 release date already picked and looming in the not-so-distant future, Lionsgate moved quickly this week to replace departing Gary Ross on Catching Fire, the next movie in the trilogy begun by The Hunger Games. The studio's wish list quickly narrowed down to two choices: Bennett Miller (Moneyball) and Francis Lawrence (Water for Elephants, I Am Legend). As of this writing on Friday afternoon (and that's how closely the movie media is following all of this), an official offer has been made to Francis Lawrence as Lionsgate's first choice to replace Gary Ross. If Lawrence signs, there are still questions to be answered and quickly, such as the status of the script by Simon Beaufoy (Slumdog Millionaire), which Ross (also a screenwriter) had previously been expected to work on this summer before the filming of Catching Fire starts. As would be expected, Catching Fire depicts the aftermath of the events of The Hunger Games, which all leads up to the final book and inevitable movie, Mockingjay.

Fresh Developments This Week

#1 CHARLIZE THERON SIGNS ONTO MYSTERIOUS AGENT 13 PROJECT

One of the hottest directors this year continues to be Rupert Wyatt, coming off the undeniably expectation-exceeding success of Rise of the Planet of the Apes. One of Wyatt's next projects will be another science fiction film called Agent 13, which got its start as a spec script from newcomer T.S. Nowlin. And that is very nearly all we know about Agent 13, except that Charlize Theron is attached to star in it. There are already two other characters known as "Agent 13:" In Get Smart, there was an Agent 13 often relegated to pointless duties (played by Bill Murray in the movie). Perhaps more relevantly, Agent 13 was the alias of S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Sharon Carter, to whom Charlize Theron actually even bears a resemblance. Since her aunt was the romantic lead in Captain America: The First Avenger, and she is one of Steve Rogers' long time romantic interests in the comics, it's a strong bet that Marvel may have plans to introduce Sharon Carter in the 2014 sequel. And so that leaves us with this question: is all of this just a coincidence, or is this Agent 13 (which currently has no studio attached) some sort of sneaky Marvel Studios spin off?

#2 GUY PEARCE'S CASTING CONFIRMS SOURCE OF IRON MAN 3

Just a week after the casting of Sir Ben Kingsley, Marvel Studios has found another actor to join Iron Man 3, and the character name pretty much confirms what Iron Man 3 is about. Guy Pearce (Memento, Lockout) will play geneticist Dr. Aldrich Killian, one of the central characters of Iron Man: Extremis, a story arc which was also turned into a motion comic (which you can watch on Netflix). Guy Pearce's character is the creator of a nanobot virus that eventually gets sold to terrorists, which is of course, bad news for Tony Stark. Director Shane Black is set to start filming Iron Man 3 in North Carolina in May, with the release set for May 3rd, 2013.

#3 WILL GEORGE WASHINGTON BE DARREN ARONOFSKY'S NEXT SUBJECT AFTER NOAH?

Much attention as of late has been on the ambitious new Noah epic from director Darren Aronofsky (The Wrestler, Black Swan), starring Russell Crowe as the Biblical ark builder. This week, the studio behind Noah, Paramount Pictures, made a new deal with Aronofsky's Protozoa Pictures which includes a movie called The General that Aronofsky would both produce and direct. Not that much is known about The General except two very enticing tidbits: it's about George Washington, and the premise is being compared to Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven. The General comes from unexpected screenwriters: Adam Cooper and Bill Collage, cowriters of the comedies Accepted and New York Minute (and they also received story credit for Tower Heist).

#4 VINCE VAUGHN INHERITS JAMES GARNER'S ROCKFORD FILES

Universal Pictures has hired screenwriters to start work on a film adaptation of the 1970s NBC private detective TV show The Rockford Files, which originally starred James Garner. This will be the second James Garner TV series to become a movie after 1994's Maverick, starring Mel Gibson, Jodie Foster and Garner himself. For the new Jim Rockford, Universal Pictures has signed up Vince Vaughn (who will also produce), whose on screen personality seems to match nicely with the Rockford character, a charming ex-con-turned-private detective. The film will be written by Brian Koppelman and David Levien, whose past credits include Rounders and Ocean's Thirteen. Koppelman and Levien also made the news this week for an online gambling drama called Runner Runner. Ben Affleck and Justin Timberlake will costar as business partners whose relationship sours. Director Brad Furman (The Lincoln Lawyer) will start filming Runner Runner in June.

#5 OLD GUYS START TO SIGN UP FOR THE "OLD GUY HANGOVER"

Last Vegas is the title of a CBS Films comedy that has been compared to The Hangover, except with a quartet of stars in their 60s or 70s. This week, the comedy's casting really picked up with three different stars reportedly now in varying degrees of negotiations. First up is Michael Douglas, who is looking to make Last Vegas his return to the big screen after years of semi-retirement due to his recent medical problems. Christopher Walken and Robert De Niro (replacing Dustin Hoffman, previously in talks) are also in talks for roles. The fourth role is an African American ex-military man, which naturally might lead one to guess it might go to someone like Morgan Freeman or Danny Glover.

#6 THIS WEEK IN STEVE CARELL NEWS: FOXCATCHER AND A MOB COMEDY

Steve Carell's name came up in relation to two items this week. One of them is a true story crime movie that was first announced as featuring Carell and Channing Tatum last fall, and now has a title: Foxcatcher. This week, Mark Ruffalo signed up to play the center of the murder mystery, Olympic wrestler David Schultz, with Steve Carell attached to play his murderer, John du Pont. Foxcatcher will be the next film for director Bennett Miller after attracting so much attention for Moneyball in recent months. Steve Carell also made a deal this week with Warner Bros for an untitled comedy pitch which he will also cowrite. Jake Johnson, costar of The New Girl on FOX, will costar. Max Winkler (Ceremony) is attached to direct, in what will be his first big studio production.

#7 GOBLINS TO BE THE NEXT STOP MOTIONER FROM THE MAKERS OF CORALINE AND PARANORMAN

Laika Studios is the Portland, Oregon based stop motion animation studio responsible for Coraline and the upcoming ParaNorman. And now we know that their next project will be called Goblins, based on a recent British children's book (that comes out later this year in the USA). Mark Gustafson, animation director on Fantastic Mr. Fox, will be making his directorial debut with Goblins. Goblins tells the story of a young goblin named Skarper who lives in a castle with a bunch of other goblins who then discover an evil that Skarper needs to stop. Focus Features releases ParaNorman later this year on August 17, 2012.

#8 DISNEY IS SET TO GO OFF ON MR. TOAD'S WILD RIDE

In addition to all their other film projects based on theme park attractions (including Jungle Cruise, Magic Kingdom, and of course, Pirates of the Caribbean), Walt Disney Pictures is now developing a movie based upon Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. The Disneyland ride was itself based on Kenneth Grahame's The Wind in the Willows, which formed one half of the 1949 Disney animated film The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad. Grahame's fantasy adventure about a toad and his furry forest friends riding along in an automobile was also previously adapted as a 1996 British film featuring several Monty Python alumni. Disney's new adaptation is being planned as a CGI/live action hybrid that will mark the feature film debut of Pete Candeland, director of the opening of the The Beatles: Rock Band video game.

Rotten Idea of the Week

LOBO'S FRAKKIN' DIRECTOR IS...

Warner Bros has been developing a movie based on the popular DC Comics character Lobo for many years now, including a time when Guy Ritchie was attached (but he focused on the two Sherlock Holmes movies instead). This week, the studio found a new director, and the job is going to Brad Peyton, whose two films to date were Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore and Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, both of which were family friendly sequels with "Rotten" scores on the RT Tomatometer. Lobo is of course the popular alien mercenary with a rough and tumble bad boy personality and a habit of using imaginary swear words. He's a bit like an alien mashup of Wolverine and Deadpool on a spacefaring motorcycle. Anyway... WB's choice of director suggests the studio is aiming to make Lobo wacky and family friendly. And that's why it's the week's Rotten Idea.

For more Weekly Ketchup columns by Greg Dean Schmitz, check out the WK archive, and you can contact GDS via Facebook or a RT forum message.

Comments

Lenny M.

Lenny Monroe

Francis Lawrence is an average director with a strong visual style. Just Michael Bay with a little more passion, but I did love I am Legend and Constantine a little bit. Not sure about him for Catching Fire.

Apr 20 - 04:58 PM

Gordon Sr.

Gordon Sr.

I agree; I Am Legend is a visually lackluster film with a banal narrative--why Hollywood CHOOSES to go with directors and producers that don't even try to emotionally engage the audience is beyond me. ///Not really, all Hollywood is concerned with is MONEY and PROFITS --- and if a film attempts to be too emotional with an audience, the audiemce grows impatient and condemns the film.

Apr 21 - 10:34 AM

Nelson Verdejo

Nelson Verdejo

he did horrible with Constantine .. that was one of the worst movies i have ever seen ... but then he made a comeback and did great with I Am Legend ... we'll just have to wait and see if he is worthy of picking up where Gary Ross left off .. i'm sure he can pull it off.. he proved his nack for big films when he made his major blockbuster debut with I Am Legend ... i'd be more worried if they got an unknown to direct, or got someone like Uwe Boll ... then i would panic.

Apr 22 - 02:30 AM

quietus28

jj l

I would flip that; Constantine was watchable, I Am Legend was just awful. Of course it doesn't help when Will Smith is your lead...

Apr 24 - 09:35 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I am Legend is one of my favorite novels, so I might be bit biased when I say the Film I Am Legend is a piece of smoldering crap. My wife loved Water for Elephants the novel and pointed out to me the film was...well..a smoldering pile of crap.

Then again, does it matter how a film is directed when it's an established sequel with a built in multi million dollar fan base? Lionsgate doesn't seem to think it matters.

Apr 20 - 05:29 PM

Gordon Sr.

Gordon Sr.

Lion'sgate seems to be the best of the independants. I AM LEGEND totally SUCKED!!!! (what happened to the two societies of vampires? (You had the "Ben Cortman living vampires" then the "dead vampires" in one sect and in the other sect Matheson had the heartless, intolerant "legion" of vampiric enterminators who wanted to kill off the "Ben Cortman vampires" and Neville himself)///The Will Smith Movie: vampires weren't really vampires at all and had no personalities for the most part except near the ending of the picture.

Apr 21 - 10:40 AM

Sean D.

Sean D

I concur. I am Legend sucked.

Apr 21 - 01:01 PM

quietus28

jj l

Agreed. The novella was brilliant, and the movie completely missed the mark. The only people that seem to think it was even watchable are those who didn't read the book, I guess.

Apr 24 - 09:36 AM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

I am Legend is badly acted, badly set, awfully paced and they missed the whole point of the novella. Even as a stand alone movie it is pretty sucky, no clue why it was such a hit, let's blame it on Will Smith

Apr 24 - 03:24 PM

Bram S.

Bram Sterling

Goblin will be interesting

Apr 20 - 09:45 PM

Janson Jinnistan

LOBO! For the children? It saddens and sickens. I hope he's peeing in your neighbors' childrens' cribs right now.

Between Miller and Lawrence, wouldn't you know that the studio would hire the guy who hasn't been nominated for an Academy Award. Let's not get out of control here with the quality.

Vince Vaughn does not "match nicely" with James Garner. One is a selfish slob, while the other is a classy MAN. Vaughn has the "charm" of a hemorrhoid. Look at that fat, cottage cheese face. He couldn't even step into Fletch's shoes much less Rockford's. What next? Kevin James as Magnum PI? Dave Attel as Kojack? Screw these poochies.

I'm indefensibly intrigued by the concept of "nanobot virus", and I think IM3 has just gotten more interesting.

"The General" is unsettling by looking at the credentials of the writers, but also the comparison with "Unforgiven". (How? Did Washington go on a revenge killing spree that we don't know about?) "Las Vegas" at least makes sense from a historical point of view.

I'd like to see a new "Wind and the Willows", but, gee, that may inspire kids to read the book rather than take the ride at their theme park? Go to hell.

Apr 20 - 10:48 PM

HedRat

M G

Agree wholeheartedly about VV being wrong for The Rockford Files. If this goes ahead it will be another fondly-remembered show tarnished forever with a bad movie using its good-will.

How about this guy for Jim Rockford - Richard Dean Anderson (http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0000760/) - I know that's not a movie producer's first choice, but he's got the right feel for the character. Not sure about the casting? Then how about adding in this; RDA alongside James Garner this time playing Rocky - better than Vince Vaughan, huh?

Throw in a car chase longer than Bullitt with cars that have marsh-mallows for suspension, it's a winner!

Apr 21 - 05:56 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Thinking about it, I get stuck on John Cusack and Billy Bob Thornton. Someone who can be funny, tough and even tender when needed. Bruce Campbell, anyone???

Apr 21 - 11:49 AM

Bigbrother .

I've lost my mojo for John Cusack because in all his recent movie's and well basically all his movie's outside of maybe 8 Men Out he just plays John Cusack and he seems to be running out of roles where that's enough. As for Billy Bob, I think your slob commentary about VV applies doubly to BBT. I could actually see Vince Vaughn doing it, people forget that he actually started out as a legitimate leading man before settling in to comedies. He's never going to be as suave or polished as James Garner, but to that end a lot of that charm has been lost to a bygone era and there's no one who's going to emulate that. I could see Vaughn being a Rockford for a new generation. Channing Tatum was certainly no Johnny Depp, but it didn't hurt 21 Jump St., All the best performances in the new Start Trek weren't immitations of the original cast, Christian Bale had a completely different feel to Michael Keaton and both were way different than Adam West. Just saying not matching up to the original isn't a bad thing.

Apr 22 - 08:09 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I think you're underestimating how much of Rockford was James Garner. Outside of his performance, it was a pretty typical PI TV show from that time period. Characters like him, and Columbo and Kojack and Magnum, et al, are defined by what the actors bring to the role. I can't think of Vince Vaughn ever successfully defining a role like this. Despite the movies he takes on, I think Cusack still manages to own his performances. And I think you're underestimating Thornton who has quite a diverse body of work, and was only a slob in a few of them. VV is more of a frat brat slob, an endless bitch. He's failed miserably at trying to do a meaner imitation of Chevy Chase/Bill Murray. I think I'd prefer Thomas Jane at this point. VV just shows that they're going to go the Wilson/Stiller Starsky/Hutch route, and frankly that just didn't work out for them.

Apr 22 - 09:50 PM

Bigbrother .

I love James Garner, don't get me wrong. I absolutely adore Rockford, Maverick, The Great Escape and The American President and his performances in them. That's why I'm not totally against Vaughn in the role. You could be write they could do a different take on the character and it could fail, but if they try to do Garner's Rockford it's definately going to fail no matter who they get. For me the only hope they have for it is to try something new with a bare bones Rockford framework.

Apr 23 - 01:03 PM

Bigbrother .

My Fellow Americans, not the American President...lost all credability on that one lol. The one with him and Jack Lemmon as former Presidents.

Apr 23 - 06:28 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I haven't even seen either of those movies in a good while, 15 years easy, so I'm not about to hold it against you. But I still disagree about Vince Vaughn's prospects with this. All this talk of the "new generation" is fine, but I don't think it's enough to fool people into accepting it. We'll see.

Apr 23 - 11:08 PM

Bigbrother .

You're probably right, I guess 21 Jump St. has gotten me in a forgiving mood. I seriously would have bet my life savings that movie was going to be a disaster and it totally surprised me.

Apr 24 - 05:35 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

The Rockford Files . . . they are going to "update" it and give Jim Rockford a million gadgets and a trusty side-kick. Somebody said TRUE ROMANCE is actually an expended Rockford Files episode--I don't know what episode or if what the guy said holds any truth, I wasn't a regular viewer of The Rockford Files. Next we'll have MAGNUM PI and THE NIGHT STALKER as TV - to - CIONEMA adaptions.

Apr 21 - 03:06 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I thought Depp has the rights to The Night Stalker already.

Apr 22 - 09:51 PM

King  S.

King Simba

This has gotten to be one of the freshest Weekly Ketchups I've seen.

Would have preffered someone like Cauron to direct Catching Fire than Lawrence, though I did like I Am Legend, so I'm remaining cautiously optimistic. I think the strength of the source material will be enough to make up for some of the director's shortcoming. After all, Harry Potter managed to go through four directors without any noticable drop in quality, so hopefully the same will happen with Hunger Games.

I think Agent 13 being an adaptation of the Marvel character is a little far fetched, but still I look forward to seeing Wyatt's next project.

The cast for Iron Man 3 just keeps getting better and better. Hopefully it'll managed to break the third superhero movie curse that has plagued every superhero franchise so far (though TDKR will probably beat it to the punch).

Kind of surprised of how low the Goblins adaptation is ranked, though I guess that says more about the quality of the news this week (still, personally I'd put it above the "Old Guy Hangover" and the Rockford Files). I loved Coraline, and ParaNorman looks really interesting, so I can't wait for Goblins.

Regarding the Mr. Toad's Wild Ride - so wait, a movie based on a ride that's based on a cartoon that's based on a book? Why not just make it an adaptation of the book or a live action version of the cartoon? Surely in both cases there's much more source material to mine than the ride.

Yeesh, what is going on with Warner Bros. and their DC adaptations? They've done really good with their more hardcore adaptations (V for Vendetta, Road to Perdition, Watchmen), but any attempts to kick start a franchise that isn't Batman or Superman seems to end in disaster (Leauge of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Green Lantern, and all those adaptations of Justice Leauge characters that seem to have completely stalled), so the fact that they're trying to make Lobo into a family friendly film doesn't give me much hope for it.

Apr 21 - 03:55 AM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

I agree with you on Catching Fire. I would have preferred Cuaron too but I don't think Lawrence is the worst news. I mean, I Am Legend wasn't the greatest film, but I don't think the direction was the main issue. I do think he (or any director to come into the series) should be required to read the books, though. And yeah, I'm counting on the strength of the story and the script to help his direction. I feel pretty optimistic overall. Now, if Michael Bay had been announced, then it would be another story.

Apr 21 - 08:34 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Regarding I Am Legend, personally I never read the book so I didn't loathe the ending like so many others (and even if I had read it, I usually prefer to judge a film on it's own merits rather than how closely it follows its source material). However, from hearing about the book ending I agree that if they had stuck to it, it would have made the film great instead of just good. Even so, you can't really blame the director as it was a studio decision. And yeah, I thought the direction was one of the film's highlights. The scene where he falls down and land on his knife and then the sun starts to set, or when he's walked in a dark room and his light flashes on a group of vampires huddled together are the kind of tension feuled scenes that Catching Fire needs.

Apr 21 - 01:07 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I want Cuaron to do more interesting projects and not simple franchise fodder. On a related note, has their been anything new released on Cuaron's Gravity?

Apr 21 - 12:26 PM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

WB has really been on a path full of potholes, cliffs and other fall-offs. At least RT was honest enough (or allowed to be honest) about what a rotten stinker WB's plans for Lobo are. I was afraid RT would gush about it as they did WB's plans for Akira.

Apr 21 - 06:21 PM

King  S.

King Simba

When did RT gush about Akira? On the contrary, I don't think any movie topped the rotten article more times than Akira. The only time I can recall any Akira news was labeled fresh was when those Hughes directors left, meaning the project had the potential to be put on hold (which it eventually did).

Apr 22 - 11:01 AM

Oliver R.

Oliver Renshaw

Sounds like Iron Man 3 will be excellent, Black, Kingsley and Pearce are all very welcome additions in my eyes.

Apr 21 - 04:11 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

That doesn't mean a whole lot if they can't come up with a script far superior to the last one's meandering ho-hummery.

Apr 21 - 06:37 AM

Apr 23 - 11:08 PM

Apr 24 - 05:35 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Apr 21 - 03:06 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I thought Depp has the rights to The Night Stalker already.

Apr 22 - 09:51 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Apr 21 - 06:37 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

#5 OLD GUYS START TO SIGN UP FOR THE "OLD GUY HANGOVER"

Or, as an alternative name 'Really Grown Ups".

Apr 21 - 06:38 AM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

Apr 21 - 08:34 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Apr 21 - 01:07 PM

Patrick Dobson

Patrick Dobson

francis lawrence is the guy that completely screwed up constantine, this news sucks big time

Apr 21 - 09:49 AM

Carla Lamiao

Carla Lamiao

No matter who will direct the Catching fire...one thing's for sure... I'm gonna watch it!

Apr 21 - 10:14 AM

Bigbrother .

Don't disagree with you on that point, but I'd still like it to be as good as possible and I don't think this news leads in that direction.

Apr 22 - 08:18 PM

Apr 23 - 01:03 PM

Apr 23 - 06:28 PM

Apr 23 - 11:08 PM

Apr 24 - 05:35 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

My first time on here in a while, and there is not much interesting happening (outside the Aronofsky projects). Guy Pearce in Iron Man 3 is pretty cool, too; he's a great actor who does not get enough roles. I was hoping Nolan would throw him a role in The Dark Knight Rises, but I guess it was not meant to be. Speaking of Pearce, first movie I saw in four months was Lockout, and God it sucked!

Apr 21 - 12:22 PM

Janson Jinnistan

What up, Crunk? Good to see you. The best news lately has been surrounding Cormac McCarthy's new original screenplay "The Counselor", directed by Ridley Scott, about a lawyer who gets involved with drug cartels. Michael Fassbender and Javier Bardem (making the "No Country" resemblence that much more obvious) may star, as well as Brad Pitt and possibly Angelina Jolie. Also, there;s some interesting stuff coming up at Cannes, Andrew Dominik's "Killing Them Softly" (used to be "Cogan's Run", starring Brad Pitt, James Gandolfini, and Ray Liotta), and John Hillcoat's "Lawless" with Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman, and ... Guy Pearce!

Apr 21 - 06:41 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Nothing much, been really busy with military shit lately, so I've been out of the loop with movies. I'm a big fan of McCarthy, so that film sounds awesome. Same goes for Hillcoat's next movie.

Apr 23 - 09:07 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Apr 21 - 12:26 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

I concur. I am Legend sucked.

Apr 21 - 01:01 PM

Movies for Tax Day
Movies for Tax Day

Your tax dollars at work, in movies.

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies