88% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

—— Wilfred: Season 4
43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

The Illusionist (L'illusionniste) Reviews

July 21, 2014
I wanted to punch myself in the face for much of the run-time of the 3 Jacques Tati films I watched a few years ago, so this was sort of a painful reminder, but it is boosted at times by a slightly less whimsical atmosphere. Then it starts getting super-depressing when, say, the spooky-clown is attempting to hang himself.
July 18, 2014
You say Pixar, I say "The Illusionist".
June 23, 2014
Rating: 9.4/10 One thing is for sure, this is not your average animated movie. By far one of the most mature and well-thought out films of its kind, as well as one of the best animated films I've ever seen, in terms of story, characters, dialogue, artwork, and animation. Although at times it felt about 15 minutes too long, it is difficult to identify a scene that should have been either removed or shortened, for all of it seems important to tell its complete story. I can say from the bottom of my heart, that the best and most powerful part (scene) in the movie, is the ending, or the last 10 minutes of it. I'm not going to say what happened. All I could say is that it will hit your heart with a blow that will leave you in tears of sadness and at the same time, relief. I feel that The Illusionist has been overlooked, despite the ratings, and deserves more respect in what it had tried so hard to achieve. This, is truly a work of art.
entertrainer
September 8, 2012
Die Story war leider zu lahm
May 15, 2011
Well, I liked it. Be forewarned, however, this isn't some kids movie.
April 4, 2014
Sylvain Chomet is proving to be the best and most creative mind in animation today. After creating the best animated feature of all time, he returns with The Illusionist, which is a very mature animated film. The Illusionist doesn't succumb to any clichés of fairy-tale endings and the same formula, but instead brings new life to animation with its original form of animation and its engaging story. While The Illusionist does fall inferior to the Triplets of Belleville, it is undoubtedly one of the best movies of 2010
Triple U infinity
February 23, 2012
The Illusionist [2010] well made; just disappointed in its slow pace at making its point in magic VS reality, new replacing old & goodwill.
March 9, 2014
Soulful, slow paced and elegantly beautiful, this is not something for children, the regrettably limited target group for animation these days. Almost devoid of dialogues, but holds true to the adage that every picture tells a thousand stories.
February 23, 2014
Como contar una gran historia, sin decir una sola palabra.
ken karlson
February 27, 2012
Captivating and beautifully rendered this animated gem makes you forget you are watching animation. Sparse in dialogue allowing the characters few choice utterings to convey the simple and very human plot. This is what rainy summer afternoons were made for. I have seen it over and over and not only see things missed in past viewings, but gain more admiration and wonder with each experience with the same characters. Done by the same genius that brought us , " The Triplets of Bellville" this one is not to be missed but to be sewn into the fabric of your life. Ken K.
September 2, 2012
The French animated film may not provide English subtitles that's rarely spoken, it only needs the meaning of the story to understand when the good animation tells the story with a purpose of being told, making this a little good-hearted film to enjoy, with a little bit of magic. (B-)
Pablo Eterovic
January 20, 2014
Con menos reconocimiento que las trillizas de Belleville, pero infinitamente mejor, el ilusionista es la historia de un rutero mago venido a menos, condenado a mostrar su arte en escenarios de poca monta. En uno de sus viajes a Escocia conoce a Alice, una niña que viene a modificar por completo su vida, de tal forma que mutuamente se llevan a nuevos mundos. Muy recomendable.
December 14, 2013
The most visually beautiful film I have ever seen. The design of the characters and portrayed world resembles the aesthetics of the Disney classic "101 Dalmatians" and all of the European drawing and art style. And the animation? It's as well crafted as the films and shorts from the Gold Age Era of Animation. It's like if the Nine Old Men themselves were brought back to life. And the story reminds us that magic is a power which belongs to men, talented and good men.
September 15, 2013
A pleasant animated film, set in beautiful Scotland. My comparatively low rating is because this genre of film is not exactly my cup of tea, but if you are a fan of animation with little dialogue, you will likely love this film.

It tells the story of a French illusionist, struggling to find audiences big enough to pay for the venues he performs at. He is forced to take on extra jobs at night. While performing on a remote Scottish island, he befriends a young woman, who speaks only Gaelic! The two connect and she joins the illusionist as he moves on to Edinburgh to perform his show. He buys the girl very expensive gifts, which he really cannot afford, as she believes he is "conjuring" them into existence.

The film is beautifully animated and is certainly one to see, particularly for fans of the art of animation.
November 23, 2013
one of the most beautiful animation i have ever watched.
a quite depressing yet so wonderful and touching story about a man who fought and struggled to exist but yet had to accept that he couldn't fight time..... anicca
December 22, 2011
A beautify animated sad tale which always make me cry.
October 31, 2013
A semi-silent film yet it conveys a wonderful and thought-provoking story, beautifully told in a hand-drawn animation. The simplicity of this film adds depth to its message.
hunterjt13
hunterjt13

October 19, 2013
A magician and a cleaning girl travel and attempt to make a life at his dying art.
Predominantly silent, this animated film has moments of charm, but mostly its slow pace and lack of substance makes for a dull time. The final moment, with the illusionist's self-abnegation, wreaks of over-sentimentality, and while I might attempt to identify with it, I do so in only most maudlin way.
Artistically, the animation is anti-realistic and cartoonish. It's hard to take the themes as seriously as the director would wish considering how the medium is the message in this case.
Overall, though it might strike a few fancies, mine is not one of them.
PetrosTser
October 8, 2013
A relatively slow film with layered animated work which requires close inspection and with two leads not particularly likeable. Definitely not as important as "Les Triplettes De Belleville" but still worthwhile.