The Illusionist (L'illusionniste) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Illusionist (L'illusionniste) Reviews

½ December 20, 2015
One of the most moving films I've ever seen.
May 20, 2014
It is a very quaint movie, and although I love animated movies of this genre, this failed to captivate me.
September 9, 2015
A animated Jacques Tati! Which captures the spirit of Tati's work... Even though the movies visually interesting. This story would've looked better live action so this felt more of a tribute to Tati's work. But its very weak in story as its light and has charm. But charm and light nature are pushed a little extreme making it lose some warmth. Not to say its a bad film I just won't see myself returning to it...
Plus theres this scene where it litterly shows Mon Oncle not as something cute in the background but go all out to make it known. It was a little bit annoying
½ June 23, 2015
While I don't believe I enjoyed it as much as "The Triplets of Belleville," "The Illusionist" is just as stylishly animated and emotionally moving.
June 21, 2015
Mejor terminen el día del padre viendo esto... y lloren :v
August 8, 2014
While people generally head for Triplets of Belleville when Sylvain Chomet is mentioned, this to me is his masterpiece. Almost no dialogue, a simple yet detailed story, incredibly vivid animation, and characters that I want so badly to be real. One of the best out there.
½ August 16, 2014
It's strange, I was surprised yet not surprised that the story was written by Jacque Tati. It has the Jacque Tati film feel and yet it's a lot more dramatic than other Jacque Tati films. Sylvain Chomet still creates the Tati charm in this animated visual beautiful film. While I prefer Chomet's other animated film, The Triplets of Belleville, to this film, It is still a great, beautiful, intriguing film that plays like a love letter to fans of animation.
April 22, 2013
As much as hand-drawn animation is being supplanted by computer animation, there are still artists who know the power of the art form and give us beautiful images that go along with great stories. Sylvain Chomet (LES TRIPLETTES DE BELLEVILLE) has done just that with THE ILLUSIONIST (aka L'ILLUSIONNISTE, and not to be confused with the 2006 Edward Norton film). The story is rather simple. It is about an out-of-work French magician/illusionist who goes to Scotland and meets this young woman who is convinced that his "magic" is real. Over the course of the film, you see a friendship develop between them as his livelihood becomes less viable as a means of support and she comes into her own as a woman. Aiming for subtlety, there is hardly any dialogue (intelligible dialogue, at least) and the images are the primary driver of the story. It's also quite touching and heartfelt. You really feel for this aging man who sees the life he's built for himself as a magician grow smaller and smaller as people now go to the music halls to see rock bands instead of illusionists, ventriloquists and clowns. By the same token, the woman has to discover that the "magic" isn't what it appears to be and, in a sense, grow up. From a technical standpoint, the animation was just beautiful and a sight to behold. Sylvain Chomet has a very distinctive, impressionistic approach to character design that makes each frame look like it could be a watercolor painting. Also worth mentioning is that the film is based on an unpublished script by Jacques Tati. Although I've yet to see anything by him, the comedic sensibility on display here makes me want to do so really soon. When all is said and done, THE ILLUSIONIST is a mature, wonderfully animated film with plenty of humor and heart that every animation fan should see.
February 12, 2015
A must-see for anyone who's ever given up on their dreams.
½ January 24, 2015
Gentle, yet compelling.
½ January 8, 2015
A beautifully animated French film that's a tale of how a magician (as well as other entertainers) struggled during the rise of technology. Sometimes funny and sweet, this film's major weakness is it's slow pacing which causes for a boring storyline.
½ January 3, 2015
Very slow yet it's a classic.
½ September 16, 2012
The Illusionist is a beautiful and moving animated film that harkens back to the era of silent movies. Although it's not silent film, it is often very quiet, and what little dialogue exists is not necessary to understand what's happening onscreen. It's gentleness has a tendency to turn to melancholy, but the movie throws in enough eccentric periphery characters and other minor delights to maintain a warm feeling throughout. Plus the ending is absolutely incredible and satisfying. Recommended.
½ June 23, 2014
Rating: 9.4/10 One thing is for sure, this is not your average animated movie. By far one of the most mature and well-thought out films of its kind, as well as one of the best animated films I've ever seen, in terms of story, characters, dialogue, artwork, and animation. Although at times it felt about 15 minutes too long, it is difficult to identify a scene that should have been either removed or shortened, for all of it seems important to tell its complete story. I can say from the bottom of my heart, that the best and most powerful part (scene) in the movie, is the ending, or the last 10 minutes of it. I'm not going to say what happened. All I could say is that it will hit your heart with a blow that will leave you in tears of sadness and at the same time, relief. I feel that The Illusionist has been overlooked, despite the ratings, and deserves more respect in what it had tried so hard to achieve. This, is truly a work of art.
April 17, 2014
Storytelling for the introverts :D
October 21, 2014
Sad commentary on the lost arts.
½ October 12, 2014
Moody, yet beautiful.
½ September 18, 2014
Gorgeously animated and extremely (occasionally uncomfortably) pensive.
September 17, 2014
9/15/14 It is an interesting film, with almost no dialogue. Short at only about 80 minutes, it is interesting seeing the interaction between characters without saying anything. To be honest, I was tired and nodding off a little bit, but I still enjoyed it.
September 5, 2010
Small, delightful, elegant, in an old-fashioned style about a world which does not exist, it is sad to say, however, that not contains much story to keep you attached to the screen. However, the effort deserves that a 2.5 stars-movie becomes a 3 stars, just by trying to refresh the old elegance of the past.