Critics Consensus: The Impossible is Certified Fresh

Plus, Promised Land is earnest but implausible, and Texas Chainsaw 3D wasn't screened -- guess the Tomatometer!

This week at the movies, we've got a family in peril (The Impossible, starring Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor), a town versus a corporation (Promised Land, starring Matt Damon and John Krasinski), and killer with a chainsaw (Texas Chainsaw 3D, starring Alexandra Daddario and Tremaine "Trey Songz" Neverson). What do the critics have to say?

The Impossible

81%

Based upon a true story, The Impossible puts viewers though a ringer, and critics say the film is both visceral and harrowing, despite the occasional attempt at emotional manipulation. Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor star as parents on vacation in Thailand with their three children when a brutal tsunami hits and forces them to fight for their lives. The pundits say the Certified Fresh The Impossible is sometimes a bit too schmaltzy, but it's ultimately an inspiring, powerful tale of survival.

Promised Land

52%

Promised Land has a prestigious cast (Matt Damon, Frances McDormand, John Krasinski) and a distinguished director (Gus Van Sant), and it tackles a hot-button issue (fracking). Unfortunately, critics say it's also over-earnest and contains several implausible plot twists. Corporate salesman Steve Butler (Damon) is dispatched to an economically depressed town to secure drilling rights for an energy company. However, he meets resistance from a grassroots effort by local residents. The pundits say Promised Land is both well-acted and well-meaning, but it never quite reconciles its story with its political aims.

Texas Chainsaw 3D

19%

It appears that the folks behind Texas Chainsaw 3D are concerned that their film is way too scary for weak-willed movie critics, since it wasn't screened prior to its release. Once again, a scary dude named Leatherface is terrifying teenagers deep in the heart of Texas. Hey everybody, time to ring in the new year by playing guess the Tomatometer! (And check out this week's Total Recall, in which we run down some memorable 3D horror movies.)

Also opening this week in limited release:

• 56 Up, the latest installment of the long-running British documentary series that checks in with its subjects every seven years, is at 100 percent.
  • A Bottle in the Gaza Sea, a drama about a long-distance friendship between an Israeli girl and a Palestinian boy, is at 56 percent.
  • A Dark Truth, starring Andy Garcia and Forest Whitaker in a thriller about an ex-CIA agent who investigates a massacre in South America, is at zero percent.

Comments

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Not a great week, hopefully Django finally comes to Japan and I can catch up on that.

Jan 3 - 04:38 PM

Daniel Irwin

Daniel Irwin

But what about "Zero Dark Thirty" next weekend? Then, we'll have some real competition I think.

Jan 4 - 05:13 PM

Rebeccachu Elizabeth C.

Rebecca Clark

Wow. The same thing that happened with The Devil inside last year...not screening for critics. Mom says Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D will suck. The reviews are gonna be coming in if critics see it, and it won't be pretty, for one thing.

Jan 3 - 04:49 PM

Sean James

Sean James

--------------------------------------------

what happened to the fresh review for texas chainsaw that was sent a few hours ago by screencrush

Jan 3 - 05:44 PM

Gene Bodyl

Gene Bodyl

I am interested in watching The Impossible but I'll wait for the blu-ray. I am not interested at all in Texas Chainsaw 3D. I'm guessing the tomatometer will end up at a 12 percent fresh.

Jan 3 - 05:54 PM

Omar Kooliyat

Omar Kooliyat

10% - 20% for Texas Massacre.

Jan 3 - 06:17 PM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

I think Texas Chainsaw 3-D will get either get a 7% or 10% rotten. I'd say 10.

Jan 3 - 06:28 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

January is looking to be quite strong in 2013 but not this weekend. I don't think any of these new releases are going to find any major audiences, its all going to be about Jango, Les Mes, and Parental Guidance again with maybe the Hobbit finally slipping out of 1st place.

Jan 3 - 06:58 PM

Rebeccachu Elizabeth C.

Rebecca Clark

I thought you meant "Django", not "Jango." And so true, it could be a repeat of January 2012 this week in terms of releases.

Jan 3 - 10:04 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

I misspelled the name of the movie. Sorry. In terms of this month, I can see Gangsta Squad being the equivalent of The Grey from last January and doing pretty well. That is the comparison I was thinking of.

Jan 4 - 09:04 AM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I am really hoping Gangster Squad turns out to be awesome. The trailer looks good overall (a few parts look a little wonky, though), and I love the cast, but the January release date and a hit and miss director makes me cautious. The cast and the original September release date are the main things that gie me hope it will not be bad.

Jan 4 - 08:27 PM

BMS1234

brandon sideleau

Interested in seeing The Impossible, Naomi Watts is an incredible actress and drop-dead gorgeous to boot and Ewan McGregor is consistently engaging.

Jan 3 - 07:51 PM

Jon Cox

Jon Cox

the Impossible looks damn good, I want to check it out
my thoughts were righ about Texas Chainsaw 3D, January is the worst month for movies and I was really hoping it'd top the remake and the prequel
they were both just terrible unscary movies

Jan 3 - 09:48 PM

George Patchell

George Patchell

19%

Jan 3 - 10:29 PM

Bertram Krogh

Bertram Krogh

6% for Texas Chainsaw 3D.

Jan 3 - 10:35 PM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

It Texas Chainsaw gets above 10% I would be very, very, VERY surprised.

Jan 3 - 11:17 PM

Daniel Irwin

Daniel Irwin

Yeah, but the CinemaScore won't be good (possibly C or lower). Hey, at least it's not "The Devil Inside", which was living hell for all.

Jan 4 - 05:12 PM

Garner Montgomery

Garner Montgomery

I am thinking 42, it will be the greatest thing for genre fans, but not for many critics.

Jan 4 - 04:42 AM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

Jan 4 - 09:04 AM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Jan 4 - 08:27 PM

bribios

brian wilson

Gonna go with the typical bad horror movie play out. Reviews come in a bit slowly, with the horror movie websites responding first giving it an OK tomatometer score making it look like it has potential, and then the rest of the critics come in and tear it apart. Based on nothing, I'm going to say 14% final tomatometer.

Jan 4 - 11:09 AM

James Pasier

James Pasier

I beat nothing that Texas Chainsaw 3D will get a rating of 12% a bit better then 2012's The Devil Inside and a little worse then 2011's The Rite

Jan 4 - 11:44 AM

Daniel Irwin

Daniel Irwin

I wonder what the T-meter scores for the other Chainsaw films were?

Jan 4 - 05:13 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I just think I'd be too distracted that 10s of thousands of Natives all lost there homes and lives yet the movie wants me to focus on how horrible it is that Ewan McGregor and Naomi Watts have messed up hair. Oh wait...I just watched the preview, the hair is fine people.

Ugh, and the Promise Land. Leave us alone Gus Van Saint. We get it, you wish you were poor. The Texas Chainsaw films have all ready been massacred by Jessica Biel. How much worse could this one be?

Jan 4 - 02:10 PM

Daniel Irwin

Daniel Irwin

Jan 4 - 05:12 PM

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Check out Boardwalk Empire

Historical TV Shows
Historical TV Shows

40 TV depictions of past eras

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer