Critics Consensus: The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is Short on Razzle Dazzle

Plus, The Call starts strong but ends in contrivance.

This week at the movies, we've got dueling magicians (The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, starring Steve Carell and Jim Carrey) and a distressed 911 operator (The Call, starring Halle Berry and Abigail Breslin). What do the critics have to say?

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone

36%

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone has such a can't-miss premise -- kitschy, arrogant magicians hit rock bottom -- that it's sad to report the critics find it less than magical, a collection of decent gags that never finds an effective rhythm. Steve Carell and Steve Buscemi star as outlandish Vegas stage magicians whose popularity is threatened by big egos, personal animosity, and the rise of a hip street magician (Jim Carrey). The pundits say The Incredible Burt Wonderstone serves up some goofy laughs, but for such an outrageous conceit, it's surprisingly safe and predictable. (Check out our interviews with stars Carell and Olivia Wilde, as well as this week's Total Recall, in which we count down Buscemi's best-reviewed movies.)

The Call

43%

There's no shortage of thrillers that create tense scenarios but can't quite tie everything together to a satisfying whole. Such is the case, critics say, with The Call, which builds plenty of suspense before taking a problematic turn in the third act. Halle Berry stars as Jordan, a 911 operator who becomes wracked with guilt after failing to help a young woman who calls her in the midst of a home invasion. After returning to her post months later, she gets a similar call, and attempts to thwart the attacker. The pundits say The Call nicely ratchets up the tension until a key point in which credibility is seriously strained. (Check out this week's 24 Frames for a look at Berry's career in pictures.)

Also opening this week in limited release:

• Goro Miyazaki's From Up On Poppy Hill, an animated drama about a teenage girl attempting to save a local hangout from demolition, is at 86 percent.
  • Reality, a dark comedy about a blue-collar guy whose world is turned upside down when he appears on a Big Brother-esque reality show, is at 78 percent.
  • Spring Breakers, starring Selena Gomez and James Franco in a thriller about a group of college girls who get into trouble with a gangster while partying in Florida, is at 77 percent.
  • My Amityville Horror, a documentary in which one of the residents of the famous house tells his story, is at 70 percent.
  • Upside Down, starring Kirsten Dunst and Jim Sturgess in a sci-fi drama about a love affair separated by time, space, and politics, is at 33 percent.
  • Reincarnated, a documentary about Snoop Dogg's travels in Jamaica, is at 10 percent.
  • K-11, a thriller about a man locked in a brutal corner of the L.A. County Jail, is at zero percent.

Comments

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Looks like there's nothing to see this week, I was hoping Burt Wonderstone would be good because it felt like a long time since I saw a comedy and it has Steve Carell and Jim Carrey but it now looks like its not gonna be worth it.

Mar 14 - 05:05 PM

Daniel Irwin

Daniel Irwin

Am I the only one who thinks "The Call" will flunk on CinemaScore?

Mar 14 - 05:38 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

By watching the trailer, I already knew it would flunk.

Mar 14 - 06:20 PM

King  S.

King Simba

If the main problem is with the ending, then yeah it's going to flunk. When audiences take the poll, they're usually thinking about the ending. That's why even well reviewed films that had weak endings wind up with terrible CinemaScores.

Mar 15 - 04:29 PM

makayla r.

makayla ryan

Christopher. if you think Mike`s blurb is shocking... last tuesday I got a brand new CitroŽn 2CV since getting a cheque for $7714 this - five weeks past and-even more than, 10-k last-munth. it's realy the nicest-job I've had. I actually started seven months/ago and pretty much immediately began to make more than $74 per/hr. I work through this website,..http://fff.to/gd4

Mar 18 - 04:18 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

I'm looking forward to Jim Carrey as Colonel Stars & Stripes in KICK-ASS 2...trailer was just released, check it out!

Mar 14 - 10:16 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

I agree Mick, Kick Ass wasn't that bad so maybe I'll check out the sequel.

Mar 15 - 05:36 AM

Sandy Jones

Sandy Jones

my buddy's ex-wife makes $71/hr on the laptop. She has been fired for ten months but last month her pay was $19422 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more on this web site... www.Snag4.com

Mar 16 - 01:40 PM

Janson Jinnistan

"Burt Wonderstone" tries to take an episode of Arrested Development to full length, except Steve Carell and Jim Carrey aren't as funny as Will Arnett and Ben Stiller. POOF! It'll magically appear in a Redbox by summer.

Really looking forward to Ghibli's "From Up on Poppy Hill", written by Miyazaki and directed by his son, who some folks still haven't entirely forgiven for "Earthsea". Well, everybody deserves another shot.

Harmony Korine pretty much guarantees that his films are a lot of things. I don't know if they're 'good' precisely, but they're never boring. And it seems that at least some of its critics haven't figured out that it's satire, so I'm in for that one, Franco be damned.

"Blancanieves" looks interesting, like a Spanish Guy Maddin perhaps. And "Reality", the follow-up to Matteo Garrone's "Gomorrah", looks good to me. I almost want to watch "Upside Down" just for how badly it pissed off critic Matt Pais (one of my least favorite). I just read the synopsis for "K-11" and I'll have to shower as soon as possible.

I can't believe how much further they've managed to milk the Amityville hoax. Let's see a documentary about the kids traumatized by being raised with fraudulent parents staging scary-ass antics around you and insisting against all sane revelation that it's "too true". I might be scarred too, but it doesn't make the "many bottles of wine" any more real as paranormal phenomena.

Mar 14 - 05:29 PM

King Crunk

Franco be damned?! C'mon, man! He looks, sounds, and acts wonderfully absurd in Spring Breakers. I find it oddly compelling.

Mar 14 - 07:17 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Franco is a fine actor, but his artistic pretentions are awful. Read his inauguration poem for Obama, or some of his short fiction. Trite. His montage art he showed off at a Berlin gallery. Sub-Banksy. His short film concept "Interior: Leather Bar" was the laughing stock of Sundance. His musings about performance art is juvenile. He's managed to collaborate on some terrible EDM. His academic career is a fraud (as some of his professsors have confessed). If he wasn't trying so hard to be taken seriously as some kind of genius when he very clearly is not, he might be a little more bearable.

Korine, on the other hand, is more intriguing. His photography, writing, artwork, songwriting (with Bjork), and, of course, his films, which, weird as they are, they do so a singular aesthetic vision - Harmony Korine films look like Harmony Korine films and unlike anyone else's. He can be frustratingly obscure and deliberately grotesque, but there is an underlying, unique meaning in them. "Gummo" and "Mister Lonely" are fascinating films. "Spring Breakers" will probably be more of a goof, like his previous "Trash Humpers", a deliberately pathetic gross-fest meant to subvert the dirty underbelly of Joe Francis' Rum-ham nightmares.

Mar 14 - 09:03 PM

King Crunk

Agree that Franco is becoming pretentious and a little annoying with the wannabe renaissance man act he has going now. But, as you said, he is a great actor, and I think he really shines in roles that would normally be tough to sell for many actors.

Mar 14 - 11:58 PM

Bradly Martin

Yeah I agree, Franco isn't bad at all. What brought on the Franco hate. I'm just thrilled to see that Spring Breakers is more than "over 21" or "Project X". The "DISNEY GIRLS GONE WHORE!" marketing campaign has been excruciating especially with most disney girl gone whore films being complete and utter crap. Anne Hathaway in Havoc for example or Vanessa Hugensin (spelling) in Sucker Punch or Lindsey Lohan in absolutely everything after mean Girls. Anyone here Finish "I know who killed me?" Anyways, very happy to see the movie is much more than a project for Selena Gomez to show all her fans she has boobs now.

Mar 14 - 08:09 PM

SecondBest

This Guy

Spring Breakers...fresh? and it has Selena Gomez in a bikini? So this movie has it all going for it.....nice

Mar 14 - 05:33 PM

Daniel Irwin

Daniel Irwin

Plus, it's from the screenwriter of "Kids", one of the most controversial films of the 90's. Korine very much reminds me of Nicolas Winding Refn.

Mar 14 - 05:38 PM

Janson Jinnistan

? You don't mind if I ask, which Korine films have you seen?

Mar 14 - 05:53 PM

Dave J

Seen "Gummo" because it was on Bravo a few times as well as his interviews afterwards which he says that basically uses things he can find anywhere and hopes to turn it into a film; saw "Kids" which the characters don't do nothing but act like a bunch of misfits which any film makers can do as well if they're willing to put the time, and saw bits and parts of "Julien Donkey Boy" which was extremely forgettable! Harmony Korine is a forgettable film maker and the only way I'll watch his latest flick is if it's on the movie channel!

Mar 15 - 02:29 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Well, the problem may be that as a result of watching these films on basic cable, they have edited out quite a bit of the more interesting parts. But, as far as "Julien Donkey-Boy" (horrible title, I will concede) goes: how can you forget Werner Herzog, high on cough syrup, watching a western wearing a gas mask? Where else will you find such vintage moody brooding!

Mar 16 - 12:21 AM

Dave J

"the problem may be that as a result of watching these films on basic cable, they have edited"

Not "Bravo", or the "IFC" for that matter! As a matter of fact they're a few channels that have commercials with nothing cut out!

Mar 18 - 12:38 PM

King Crunk

I am looking forward to Spring Breakers a good bit, but I honestly do not feel like Korine has done anything on the level of Drive, Bronson, Valhalla Rising, Pusher II, or even Pusher III. Refn is a filmmaker other director's envy.

Mar 14 - 07:20 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Korine has never been particularly interested in conventional storytelling, so it's difficult to compare (which is why I was confused by it).

Mar 14 - 09:08 PM

King Crunk

True. I prefer Refn's style to Korine's, but I commend both of them for being uncompromising filmmakers, even if sometimes it does not make for a film that is exactly good (I find the first Pusher film from Refn to be incredibly slow and uninvolving, and Fear X is pretty bad as well).

Mar 15 - 12:02 AM

Bradly Martin

I saw kids and thought it was a lot like Cather in the Rye in the sense that all the adults around me were protesting it and I couldn't quite figure out why, hell I still don't know why those two things are protested. I'll Red Box Spring Breakers or rent it from a library as if it will be playing in a theater around my area.

Mar 14 - 08:11 PM

Janson Jinnistan

"Kids" was written by Korine, but it isn't really like his own films. See if your library has "Gummo" (good luck!).

Mar 14 - 09:09 PM

Bradly Martin

Bummer, not streaming on Netflix. Have to wait for this one.

Mar 14 - 11:34 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Kids was a time and place thing. There was very little out that was quite as direct as it was. Aids, sex, and drugs in the '90s. A whole generation of parents saw what their kids were dealing with.

Mar 14 - 11:49 PM

Dave J

Excuse me, Korine is not in the same league as Nicolas Winding Refn- not even close! The main difference the characters Refn creates are easily to understand whereas what Korine does is that if he were to find a dead cat some place as well as other things he can find then he would used it hoping to get some kind of movie out of it!

Mar 15 - 02:27 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Excuse you, I have it good authority that the cat was purchased from a local Xenian Chinese restaurant!

Mar 16 - 12:19 AM

Dave J

According to one of the interviews Korine had given out when he was still just a teen when Gummo was made, he found that dead cat and decided to use it! Whether he reported it to the SPCA or not after he didn't need it anymore is still speculative!

Mar 18 - 12:43 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Korine has said a lot of things in interviews that aren't true. And Korine was 23 when he shot "Gummo", and the closing credits claim the dead cat was a prosthetic. (Did you see the film?)

Mar 18 - 12:54 PM

Dave J

Okay, so he says a lot of things that aren't true for it still doesn't mean anything for the dead cat didn't seem to serve it's purpose to enhance the film at any given time whatsoever except that the cat was dead! And just because the credits say that it was a prosthetic still doesn't mean that it's not a real since as you say Korine says a lot of things which may or may not be true- how do you know the film says that it's prosthetic is so that the SPCA won't go after their asses! I'm just going by whatever he said which he says one thing but says something different later, and yes I did see the film and thought it was full of pointless babbling- I've never seen spaghetti look so disgusting before in my life which the kid eats it while sitting in a bathtub! I also remembered how much he hated Kevin Smith movies and said that if his films represented his generation that he'd kill himself but then retracted his statement later- he's clearly a looney who fiddles around with a camera!

Mar 18 - 01:33 PM

Dave J

Did you even look at his ratings- some of his only positive ratings are the films he stars in for this one may be his only positive movie he's ever directed! But I think that was the result of because he acted with Korean famed director Chan-wook Park!

Mar 18 - 01:41 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Pointless Babbling? Should be right up your alley.

Mar 18 - 02:26 PM

Dave J

Pointless Babbling? Should be right up your alley."

This weak comeback is nothing more than an attempt to provide me with a cheap response on your part and serves no purpose other than to drive attention to your childish behavior if you can't provide me a proper reason then sometimes it's best if you didn't say anything at all!
And if that was the case than why did you even respond? And speaking of pointless babbling you still haven't given me a proper reason why "Gummo" is even worth acknowledging, unless of course it's Korine the person that you admire so much! You can't even provide me any reason why you're defending him so much- that's just sad!

Mar 18 - 03:06 PM

Dave J

And if my babbling is so pointless why do you even care what I even have to say? Even despite you being 25 or 26 years old you still act like an immature little child sometimes which shouldn't surprise no one!

Mar 18 - 03:07 PM

Janson Jinnistan

1) I love exclamation points! But syntax is more mature than punctuation!

2) Korine > Stallone!

3) Chill your nuts! And try to avoid double posts in the future!

Mar 18 - 03:21 PM

Dave J

You still didn't really answer my question for that cheap shot but anyways that's what's expected of you! And to avoid double posts- I suggest you not to read 'em if it bothers you so much!

Mar 18 - 03:32 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Ah, so your clumsy writing style is like a strategic tedium? Daring readers to risk the choppy semantic waters...

Mar 18 - 03:37 PM

Dave J

You know they're times I can sense you do miss "Jerry the waterboy" but can't come to grips in saying it since he must be your alter ego!

Mar 18 - 03:50 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Tag Team Trolls. Coincidentally, I have to deal with you simultaneously on two different pages.

Mar 18 - 04:17 PM

Dave J

Excuse me... but it was you that 'trolled' me first! And that's why we need people like 'Jerry The Waterboy', so that people such as yourself can get a taste of your own medicine since if you can't think of a civilized response then there's nothing left for you to do except troll the user- can't you see that you encourage trolling!

So again, explain me how this stupid worthless comment "Pointless Babbling? Should be right up your alley." have anything to do with the movie and Korine in question? If it's nothing then I have to say that you still enjoy acting like a child despite your age- that should be a fair assessment to describe you!

Mar 18 - 05:00 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Dave, we don't like each other.

Your comment about "Gummo" was worthy of questioning whether or not you've seen the film. It's not trolling to open up discussion about a movie. Unfortunately, you don't have the cognitive skills for a cohesive discussion. So sometimes I resort to mockery. Again, not really trolling. If you prefer Jerry's ignorant homophobia, that's up to you.

Mar 18 - 05:05 PM

Dave J

Where did I say I prefer reading Jerry's comments since you and him condone trolling as a whole for the intentions of trying to get a laugh!

If you want to go step by step, you asked me whether or not I had seen "Gummo", and I said that I did.... then you ask me whether the dead cat was authentic and I explained to you what I know about it so instead of submitting me another civilized response- you attack my comment which is otherwise convoluted - I mean if you don't understand my initial comment... all you have to do was ask and I'll rephrase it for you but you chose neither! It's obvious that right now you're attempting to defend this stupid worthless comment "Pointless Babbling? Should be right up your alley"... and that is sad!

And sometimes your attemptions of trying to get the last word in is sometimes at best describes as childish!

"Dave, we don't like each other."

So "unfriend" me then since I have absolutely nothing to gain from your sometimes childish responses- I only want to be friends with 'users' who talk about films without belittling users comments- that's just retarded!

Mar 18 - 05:36 PM

Dave J

"So "unfriend" me then since I have absolutely nothing to gain from your sometimes childish responses"

Oh, it looks like I beat you to it!

Mar 18 - 05:49 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Your step-by-step is clearly muddy, as anyone can see from reading it above. You mentioned the cat first. I made a joke, about the Chinese Restaurant that would make sense to anyone who's seen the movie. You don't seem to recognize it. So I finally point out that, besides getting Korine's age wrong, the film states in the closing credits that no animals were killed and that the dead cat was a prosthetic. You can feel free to not believe that claim, but that's about the extent of what I need to prove to you. The fact that you mention the dead cat sounds an awful lot like you read something about the Telluride Film Festival during that scene, because otherwise, it is not an important aspect of the movie. I still contend that the film, whether or not you enjoy it, is far from forgettable.

Mar 18 - 06:07 PM

Dave J

Well, obviously I didn't think that joke was very funny at all even if it's true, and that although the film said 'no animals were harmed' means that they didn't have to kill the animal for it was already been found dead- that it was already found like that! Lots of animals are killed all the time especially from road kill so in my opinion using an actual dead cat is not so far fetched which was at that time defined Korine's persona as a whole!

Mar 18 - 06:32 PM

Janson Jinnistan

"Even if it's true"? It's in the movie. If you saw the film, you would get the reference to the Chinese Restaurant.

As for the cat: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100928181321AA39kiz

Mar 18 - 06:50 PM

Dave J

When I did see it- it was somewhat close to the time it was released saying that they're obviously scenes that you remembered which I didn't! You don't think I'd remember all the films I saw that I didn't like, saying that this is just one another one of those films I don't care too much about!

Mar 19 - 01:06 PM

Daniel Irwin

Daniel Irwin

Mar 14 - 05:38 PM

Janson Jinnistan

? You don't mind if I ask, which Korine films have you seen?

Mar 14 - 05:53 PM

Mar 15 - 02:29 PM

Mar 16 - 12:21 AM

Mar 18 - 12:38 PM

Mar 14 - 07:20 PM

Mar 14 - 09:08 PM

Mar 15 - 12:02 AM

Mar 14 - 08:11 PM

Mar 14 - 09:09 PM

Bradly Martin

Bummer, not streaming on Netflix. Have to wait for this one.

Mar 14 - 11:34 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Mar 14 - 11:49 PM

Mar 15 - 02:27 PM

Mar 16 - 12:19 AM

Mar 18 - 12:43 PM

Mar 18 - 12:54 PM

Mar 18 - 01:33 PM

Mar 18 - 01:41 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Pointless Babbling? Should be right up your alley.

Mar 18 - 02:26 PM

Dave J

Pointless Babbling? Should be right up your alley."

Mar 18 - 03:06 PM

Mar 18 - 03:07 PM

Janson Jinnistan

1) I love exclamation points! But syntax is more mature than punctuation!

2) Korine > Stallone!

3) Chill your nuts! And try to avoid double posts in the future!

Mar 18 - 03:21 PM

Mar 18 - 03:32 PM

Mar 18 - 03:37 PM

Mar 18 - 03:50 PM

Mar 18 - 04:17 PM

Mar 18 - 05:00 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Dave, we don't like each other.

Mar 18 - 05:05 PM

Dave J

"Dave, we don't like each other."

Mar 18 - 05:36 PM

Dave J

Oh, it looks like I beat you to it!

Mar 18 - 05:49 PM

Mar 18 - 06:07 PM

Mar 18 - 06:32 PM

Mar 18 - 06:50 PM

Mar 19 - 01:06 PM

Daniel Irwin

Daniel Irwin

Am I the only one who thinks "The Call" will flunk on CinemaScore?

Mar 14 - 05:38 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

By watching the trailer, I already knew it would flunk.

Mar 14 - 06:20 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Mar 15 - 04:29 PM

makayla r.

makayla ryan

Mar 18 - 04:18 PM

David Tanny

Big Fat Jewish Guy

Spring Breakers scored about what I was thinking...and hoping. Looks like a good one.

Mar 14 - 05:47 PM

Janson Jinnistan

? You don't mind if I ask, which Korine films have you seen?

Mar 14 - 05:53 PM

Mar 15 - 02:29 PM

Mar 16 - 12:21 AM

Mar 18 - 12:38 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

By watching the trailer, I already knew it would flunk.

Mar 14 - 06:20 PM

King Crunk

Very disappointed in how Burt Wonderstone turned out. I was looking forward to it until I saw the first trailer, which did not get a single genuine laugh out of me. The premise and cast are golden, the script and execution seem to have left a lot to be desired.

The Call looked meh at best to me, not at all shocked to see a WWE film be in the 30's on the T-meter.

Spring Breakers on the otherhand, looks like something worth watching just based off the material paired with the director, as well as Franco in some absolutely brilliant stunt casting. From the reviews and trailers, it seems like it will be subverting the whole party genre, as well as the excessive "party hard" lifestyle that is all the rage these days, but doing it in a wonderfully pulp-ish, possibly even over the top manner. Hope it plays near me soon so I can catch it.

The trailer for K-11 was TERRIBLE. I totally understand why Kristen Stewart jumped ship on her mom's directing debut.

Mar 14 - 07:13 PM

Bradly Martin

Awww Sad, she ditched her Mom's film after all her Mom has done for her? How can some one in a major block buster franchise have reservations on a films quality? Bummer.

Mar 14 - 08:14 PM

King Crunk

Cannot say I really blame K-Stew; K-11 had one of the worst trailers I have seen for a theatrical release in quite a while.

Mar 15 - 12:05 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Everyone has their standards I guess.

Besides, Twilight was a pretty good paycheck. Stewart's salary for the last film was probably more than the entire budget of K-11.

Mar 15 - 04:49 PM

Bradly Martin

I don't know why but I always Forget about the Money. Yeah K-11 looks like she was asked to do this on a favor and not the 5-6 figures she should be accustomed to.

Mar 16 - 09:49 AM

Janson Jinnistan

K-Stew's mom sure must have a thing for transexual s/m and child molesters.

Mar 14 - 09:12 PM

King Crunk

I know, the entire trailer gave me creeps from the way it presented gays and transexuals. Surprised neither community has tried to boycott the film due to how disrespectful and exploitive it looks.

Mar 15 - 12:08 AM

Mar 14 - 07:17 PM

Mar 14 - 09:03 PM

Mar 14 - 11:58 PM

Mar 14 - 07:20 PM

Mar 14 - 09:08 PM

Mar 15 - 12:02 AM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

Yo la verdad espero para que salga Blancanieves en los Estados, ya que se ve parecida al Artista pero con mas drama.

Mar 14 - 07:26 PM

Mar 14 - 08:09 PM

Mar 14 - 08:11 PM

Mar 14 - 09:09 PM

Bradly Martin

Bummer, not streaming on Netflix. Have to wait for this one.

Mar 14 - 11:34 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Mar 14 - 11:49 PM

Mar 14 - 08:14 PM

Mar 15 - 12:05 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Everyone has their standards I guess.

Mar 15 - 04:49 PM

Mar 16 - 09:49 AM

Mar 14 - 09:03 PM

Jon Cox

Jon Cox

shit, I hate that 'Spring Breakers' isn't playing in my theater and I have been waiting forever for it
I think I'm gonna skip 'The Call' and everything else

Mar 14 - 09:03 PM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

It'll make the best rental since Hobo ;)

Mar 16 - 08:21 PM

Mar 14 - 09:08 PM

Mar 14 - 09:09 PM

Janson Jinnistan

K-Stew's mom sure must have a thing for transexual s/m and child molesters.

Mar 14 - 09:12 PM