The Incredible Burt Wonderstone Reviews

½ March 16, 2013
Steve Carrell, another actor I am not the highest fan of, but he can be funny when given the right material, and here, he is given the right material. A lot of people are probably going to see this for Jim Carrey, but, he is only in a few scenes, even though he plays the villain (if you can call him that) but the few scenes he is in, he is classic Jim Carrey. As for Carrell, he carries this with his suave, debonair personality as a Magician who's act has fallen flat in the last few years and is told to do something different, which becomes difficult for him. But hilarity ensues as he copes with splitting from his partner, not being the #1 magician in town anymore and losing his passion he once had for magic. This is a very funny movie even if Jim Carrey isn't in it more, but it does have a cameo by David Copperfield. RECOMMENDED for comedy fans, Jim Carrey fans, Steve Carrel fans, and magic fans. Abracadabra
½ July 26, 2015
Entertaining to a point, but not great. Steve Carell has done better movies than this.
½ July 14, 2015
This is a story about the importance of friendship and valuing others. Also magic. I truly enjoyed it. It was not a laugh a minute, and I'm glad of that.
½ November 14, 2014
This is an oddball of a film, upon first viewing I hated it but after an interest on why it failed I decided to watch it again. The second time is a strange experience because you see how dark the comedy is in the film, and how it's actually pretty funny when you expect it. Carell isplaying the usual Michael Scott role and to be honest, it's pretty funny. Carrey, however, is the star of this movie, he's hysterical. The problems have to do with the script and the direction. It's really uneven, Daley and Goldstein have showed promise with Horrible Bosses and here they still make a decently funny film, but it feels neutered to being PG-13. Jason Reitman did re-writes and it is really odd because you can't tell where they are. The tone of the movie bounces between dark comedy and family-friendly buddy humor and the mix never quite feels balanced. The plot is predictable too and doesn't really stray from the formula. However, while not Incredible, Burt Wonderstone is a decent enough comedy that may find a cult following in the future.
½ March 17, 2013
The movie was ok. It was not perfect for this rotten reviewer but for another person who may like cult movies like this - they might see a real change of heart for this stunningly strange movie - lots of great character and wonderful story - almost perfect. Like a machine made the movie - you can't complain about the perfect manners and the borderline suck up style storytelling - I certainly cannot find reason to complain about the ridiculously culty and charming stories shared by the four horsemen. But it was not really my thing so I probably did not like it as much as the average stunningly normal person. I still missed the point of this movie but it was still good, for me, just not perfect or even a decent movie. Not 4 me!!
May 5, 2015
Harmless, and easily forgotten.
½ April 22, 2015
This movie had so much potential. There are some truly hilarious and inspired scenes - especially from Jim Carrey. However, these scenes are lost in the shuffle of a plot that goes out of its ways to be contrived. I'm kind of glad I saw it for the moments that were funny, but it's an overall mediocre movie.
½ April 21, 2015
Despite an all-star comedic cast, the film never lives up to its potential. The satire on modern magicians is funny, but Burt has no redeeming qualities, and somehow predictably still gets the girl.
March 11, 2013
I can't believe people didn't like it :/
½ October 8, 2013
has its rare moments but overall it just didn't do it for me. It's a mediocre film, the definition of okay. half the jokes fall flat and then theres more of a serious undertone. they almost juggle both parts a bit too much, not very well integrated at times. The story overall does draw you in somewhat but its too slow and the storyline and the actors roles were less than expected. the cast has so much more potential than this
½ March 31, 2015
The incredible Burt Wonderstone has some funny moments, but overall, the actors seem to be barely trying, and the comedy falls flat more often than not. It has some respectful nods and references to the world of magic and Vegas, however, the tongue-in-cheek is sometimes so overbearing, blatant and excessive that it just doesn't deliver as well as it thinks it does. Unfortunately for Don Scardino, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone is proof telling him to remain with TV shows, not movies.
March 26, 2015
Just awesome ! It is a shame this movie was not released in France !
½ March 11, 2015
A very poor film, which is a shame considering the cast they've assembled. No real humour to redeem it. Typical Jim Carey character, but the film appears to be more of a sad microcosm of where his career currently resides - plummeting to new lows.
March 7, 2015
It has been a very long time since a newer comedy movie actually made me laugh. I can think of precious few with the exception of the new 2011's "The Muppets." So, it was with low expectations yet high hopes that I sat down to watch "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone". Ladies and gentlemen, laughter was achieved.

Young Albert is a loser. He is beaten up and made to eat bark not sixty seconds after we meet him. His mother is never home and he has to bake is own tenth birthday cake. His only outlet is a Rance Holloway Magic Set. He soon meets Anthony, another outcast who, according to doctors is "dangerously close to being a girl". Through the years their friendship and love of magic grows until they become "The Incredible Burt and Anton" working their way up the magician's ranks around the world. Burt is soon contracted to Bally's Casino in Las Vegas and Burt agrees but only as long as Anton comes too. "We are a team. Always have been always will be."

Cut to a decade later and the "magic" is gone. Burt and Anton have done the same exact show every night for ten years. Burt (Steve Carrell) has become a petulant prima donna who abuses his friend and only cares about getting the show over with so he can sleep with an audience member. Anton (Steve Buscemi) tries to go with the flow, but Burt keeps firing assistants. "That's the second one this month!" Anton complains.

Enter Steve Gray (Jim Carrey) a street magician and Criss Angel clone with a cable T.V. show "Brain Rapist". He's new and exciting, never mind that he doesn't do any actual magic tricks. "He just mumbles and cuts himself. My niece does that", Burt scoffs. But that doesn't matter to casino owner Doug (James Gandolfini). "You guys are doing the same [crap] as when I hired you." He wants something new.

From here the plot is pretty standard. The duo breaks up, a romantic interest is introduced, and Steve Gray taunts them at every turn. But here's the thing. It doesn't feel stale. Yes, the notes are all there, but they are played with a lighter touch. The dialogue is witty instead of mechanical and the sentimentality is far less forced. The actors play their roles with a gusto rarely seen in this age of cookie cutter comedies and the typical beats are measured out to a different timing than we are used to. Will Steve Gray get his comeuppance? Will Burt and Anton change, grow, forgive, and rejoin forces to get the "big gig"? Will the two romantic leads get together in the end? We know the answers, but the way the movie gets us there is refreshing and humorous. The ending itself is slapstick of the highest order, changing the tone of the final triumph completely and in the best way possible.

Hands down some of the best moments belong to Alan Arkin as Rance Holloway. Watching him in the previews for this movie I read his character one way, but in the movie he is a different animal altogether and they are both equally side splitting. Alan Arkin is a master of dry humor and with little to no perceivable effort he can change a line from self-deprecating to a barb at his co-star without changing a word.

As a final word about the actors, this is the funniest I have seen some of these actors in a very long time. Carrey, Carrell, and Buscemi have returned to quality comedy with this offering and I hope they do not go back to the dim witted sentimental schlock we saw from them in other stages of their respective careers. I'm looking at you, "Mr. Popper's Penguins".

"The Incredible Burt Wonderstone" is not perfect. It may push a couple of its jokes a trifle too far, but this movie was obviously made with an eye on quality and laughs rather than pumping out a quick product of dubious entertainment value. If I had to have a complaint it would be that some of the CG is pretty cheap, but honestly the material was so good I found myself forgiving the obvious effects. Modesty aside, I wanted to watch it again as soon as it was over. Now, that's an impressive trick.
March 4, 2015
Not incredible but underrated by critics. The rise and fall magician story is fresh whilst providing a strong backdrop for eccentric comedy actors like Carell and Carrey. It offers some unexpected goofy laughs and is almost worth watching purely for Jim Carrey's only entertaining performance in the last 10 years. I repeat, it's not comedy magic mostly due to it failing to utilise its goofy sense of humour consistently but it certainly deserved greater credit than it received.
February 15, 2015
2/14/15 I thought this was pretty darn funny for a "silly" comedy. I thought Jim Carrey's character was the best because he was so ridiculous in making fun of the David Blaine/ Chris angel type magicians. I don't love Steve Carrell, so my expectations were pretty low, but it definitely surpassed my expectations. The plot based on making fun of magicians is a new one (as far as I know) and they do a great job of getting lots of laughs out of it. It is not just one of those "run of the mill" comedies, so I would recommend it.
½ February 11, 2015
has a great cast and strong premise but lacked a little bit i expected more with so many good comedy actors still well worth a watch though
½ March 6, 2013
It was just alright. Nothing really special and can't give it a non rotten rating. It's just not that good. The movie is maybe a mediocre movie at best. Overall I'm not satisfied with anything but some good parts by Carrell and Steve Buscemi
½ February 16, 2013
Es increible ver como aún con tantos actores excelentes; el director Don Scaldino no logró hacer nada interesante con ellos, es una película lenta, con 2 que 3 gags buenos en TODA la película, y en resumen bizarra. Es una mezcolanza de humor en extremo extraño y una monotonía constantemente presente. Que lastima, pudo haber sido una comedia muy bien hecha; pero eso pasa cuando el director es un completo pelele.
½ January 4, 2015
WIth a talented cast and very funny jokes, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone ends being prejudice by a predictable narrative with a lot of cliches, and with a bad approach to the magic world.