21% Transcendence Apr 18

The Incredible Hulk Reviews

Page 1 of 1973
John M

June 29, 2008
Ed Norton comes through and as always love Tim Roth. Liv Tyler does well also. Overall this movie did a good job of rejumping the hulk franchise and continues to set the table for Avengers.
Graham J

November 19, 2012
Ang Lee's attempt at Hulk didn't turn out too well, but THIS one is plain terrible.
Josh L

August 3, 2007
This is definitely the weakest of the Avengers films, but still an entertaining superhero movie because of the almost non-stop action. The special effects are decent and there's tons of good set pieces, but the story itself is a little weak compared to movies like Iron Man and The Dark Knight. Edward Norton makes a good Bruce Banner and the rest of the cast is decent. This is definitely a back to the basics Hulk movie compared to the last and although it doesn't measure up to the best of the genre, it is a welcome addition.
Eugene B

August 14, 2012
Louis Leterrier molds this comic-book adaptation into a radioactive combustion of excitement and action. The flow and plot, though common, was solid with the help of its performers. This remake fills holes on most of the major damages of this franchises' past adaptations.
Joshua W

August 6, 2012
After seeing the Avengers this movie seems really really small. It's better then Ang Lee's Hulk but Edward Norton is not Bruce Banner. The effects were good, the story was small and the casting was all wrong in my opnion.
thmtsang
thmtsang

June 14, 2008
Excellent movie about a scientist who is poisoned with radiation. Full of action, great plot and graphics. Edward Norton is brilliant. Surprising cameos from the original Hulk as a security guard and Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark. The pace is a little slow at times and you have to try to piece things together but there are lots of action in between to keep you on the edge of your seat. This production was much better than Eric Bana's version of Hulk.
Tyler R

April 5, 2012
When Ang Lee made "Hulk" in 2003, people were dissapointed with it. My main problem with it was how boring it was. Now that The Incredible Hulk exists, we can forget about the 2003 version. The Incredible Hulk tells the story of Bruce Baxter on the run from the miltary who plan to weaponize his alter-ego, the Hulk. One thing I liked right away were the opening credits. It shows a quick little montage of Bruce and the gamma ray accident which transform him into the Hulk and I think putting it in a montage worked to the film's advantage because if some of the movie was just stuff leading up to the gamma ray, it would be boring, just like the 2003 version. The film starts off by showing Bruce is working in a factory, he does a lot of certain exercises to control his anger and he's also looking for a cure to his "problem". I also really liked seeing Bruce having to deal with living his life with the world's biggest anger management problems. As stated earlier, the military is after him and seeing Bruce Hulk out on them is really cool. They stand no chance against him and he just breezes by them like it's no big deal. The action scenes are really great as well. My brother often complains that the CGI dumbs down the film, but I found all the effects to be really good and made the action scenes work. The film is mainly about Bruce on the run whilst trying to find a cure and I think the director nailed everything about that aspect. Showing Bruce struggle, but also showing his relationship with Betty Ross (Liv Tyler) helped the film because Edward Norton as Bruce Banner was more likable than Eric Bana as Bruce Banner. While I do prefer Mark Ruffalo as Banner, I still think Edward Norton did a good job in the movie. The rest of the acting is great as well. Liv Tyler was likable as Betty, William Hurt really good in his Captain Ahab type role and Tim Roth plays his part as Emil Blonski flawlessly. The incredible Hulk has everything I wanted to see in Ang Lee's Hulk: Solid acting, great action scenes, a fast paced story and the perfect showing of the humanity of Bruce Banner.
Christopher H

June 13, 2011
Edward Nortan brings a really good turn as Bruce Banner. The action is fun, plus the final fight between the Hulk and the Abomination is very well executed. Some of the drama is kinda hit or miss but either way, this blows the crap-fest Ang Lee version out of the water.
Jason C

May 16, 2011
It's really not hard to make a Hulk movie good. Sure the Bruce Banner conflict is needed, and Edward Norton does a good enough job there. The real entertainment lies in the Hulk deranged temper tantrums, and he's on a rampage here. Throw in a fight with the Abomination, and this turns into a can't miss. As far as the Avengers go, it's not as good as Iron Man. As far as Hulk movies go, it's destroys anything that's come before it. Watch this, it's a lot of fun.
Alice S

May 21, 2012
Just a lot of smashing. I used to really love Ed Norton, but I find his face so incongruously milquetoast for every role subsequent to The Narrator in Fight Club.
Everett J

May 6, 2011
I've never been an overly big Hulk fan. Never really got into the comics, and I don't remember much about the tv show(other than the hulk looked ridiculous painted in green). When the first "Hulk" movie came out I was pretty excited for it. The previews looked good and the effects looked great. Then it came out, and was a complete turd. The movie was just flat out bad, like "Elektra" bad. So when I heard they were rebooting it, I was like, how could it be any worse? Luckily, this is a great action/adventure movie. Very different from other Marvel hero movies, as this is more of a chase movie, rather than good guy vs bad guy flick. Plus, Edward Norton is one of the best actors on the planet and does another fantastic job here. I hope they make more Hulk movies like this, because if they go back to that original crap, you can just consider the Hulk dead in my eyes. I'm sure he'll be pretty badass next year in "Avengers".
KJ P

January 13, 2010
A major improvement on what became of the pervious hulk instalment, and if they want to continue this franchise, then they better make more like this. This time, they reboot the franchise as Edward Norton portrays the role of Bruce Banner, and my god does it feel real. The visuals are on another level of awesome, the acting is great, the story is much more structured than the first, and the fast pacing of the story is what truly makes this film memorable. Everything moves so fast, while you still manage to remember every scene. This is the true hulk film and it is going to be hard to beat. But I will say this, I cannot wait for a sequel.
Albert K

September 25, 2010
The only thing that made up for this movie and it's boring action scenes was the chemistry between Edward Norton and Liv Tyler. That relationship in itself was more interesting than the whole Hulk aspect.
Phil H

June 13, 2008
I gotta say, its better than the first Hulk film for sure and its certainly not too bad, but its hardly a great film by any means, strongly average for me.

It starts of kinda slow in Brazil and your not too sure whats going on really, things do progress OK building the story, but the first Hulk rage scene is where I noticed he isnt gonna look as good as I thought he may. still I liked what I was seeing. Afew plot holes appear here n there like how does Banner get from Brazil to the US? one minute he's in the jungle next minute he's back in the states somewhere. Anyway, you get the real Hulk on the uni campus sequence, again weird little plot holes like how did the army know he was there? and Banner see's them pretty quickly and comfortably haha. Its here where there's a real battle but to be honest I wasn't impressed by the effects to be honest, very average, and the Hulk also looked pretty average, not much better than Ang Lee's version. The only scene he does look good is the night rain sequence after the battle.

From there it went abit down hill for me, the story is fine with plenty of good homages (including music) but the finale battles with Abomination are pretty basic looking, nothing we haven't seen before and Abomination looks pretty crap as well frankly. The action moves so fast at the end you can't really keep pace with the blows, its all very overblown but I kinda expected that.thats the problem with huge characters like Hulk, Abomination, Thing etc...they are so fast, frantic, big n powerful, for them to move and fight realistically they have to appear very fast and fluid, obviously double or triple the times of a regular person, but thats makes it hard to view really. Its all a big flash, bang, blurr on the screen, tricky to do I know.

Its an OK film but not great, kinda just above average maybe. The cast are very good and save the film really, especially Norton, Roth and Hurt, they do bring some realism to the film which helps allot, another annoying Stan Lee cameo I'm afraid hmmm.
The ending is pretty open with a massive positive for a certain team movie haha yeah I think its happening now. Its ok but 'Iron Man' is still the best comicbook flick this year.
Matthew S

December 17, 2011
Dumb, visceral and pleasing to the eye, this team knew better than to treat the comic-book-material as being capable of art-house depth. Case in point, instead of spending all movie trying to delve into the repressed memories from 4 years of age, this Bruce Banner simply goes the "eastern" route with meditation and breathing techniques, and a blood pressure monitor. This a more traditional comic-book movie - a lot more action, quicker pacing, more exotic and stimulating locations, a crushing romance, and an establishment of Hulk's necessary existence beyond the last scene and within the rest of the Marvel universe, leaving us two reasons to expect him again. That said, it doesn't go beyond visceral. There is no depth at all in exploring the psyche of Hulk, or anyone. The third team to create the Hulk origins movie should find a middle-ground, giving something we can walk away with besides yoga classes.
TheGame90
TheGame90

November 29, 2011
It's not a bad movie. But I just can't understand why it's not a sequal. There was no need what so ever to make a new hulk movie. The old one way fine the way it is. And this can't hold a candle to that one. If this was a sequal (wich it could be with some easy tweeks in the script)....it would be okay. Now...it has to out do the first one. Wich it clearly doesn't. So thanks but no thanks
Scott G

October 30, 2011
Possibly THE best comic action film of all time, and that's saying something.
Sophie B

October 23, 2011
Could not get into this film at all. As a non-fan of comics I didn't know what I was going in to and the filmmakers sure didn't make it for someone like me which is a shame as they won't get any new watchers now.
Daniel P

October 20, 2007
Was there a script? Great actors with nothing to do, and nothing to say. Plus, an uncharismatic "hero," in the Hulk. Three years ago, I saw this in theatres, and nearly passed out. I thought it was jetlag, as it was two days after returning to Canada from Germany. Watching this again, I realized I was wrong: it was just that boring. Looking for Toronto locations (U of T, Yonge Street) became more interesting than the plot long before the end, and when that came, it was a copout walk-on to introduce S.H.I.E.L.D. The Hulk is effectively unfilmable, because there's no one to really root for beyond Banner... but if he cures himself, the story ends, so as in the Ang Lee one, Hulk is just left to wander the earth... there is no ending. Here's hoping that, with two bombs now, Hollywood stops trying to film this comic. It just won't work.
Page 1 of 1973