The Inevitable Defeat of Mister & Pete Reviews

PantaOz
½ October 5, 2014
Realistically portrayed drama of the life in the disadvantaged suburbs of America directed by George Tillman, Jr. and written by Michael Starrbury , can bring tears even without melodramatic elements in it. Presenting Skylan Brooks (Mister) and Ethan Dizon (Pete) in the title roles nd casting Anthony Mackie, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Jennifer Hudson, Jordin Sparks and Jeffrey Wright, the director made simply perfect team. As a genre, I will classify this movie as a coming of age story of two inner city boys. They were left to fend for themselves over the summer after their mothers are taken away by the police for drug possession and prostitution.

The movie concentrates on the two boys who are forced to forage for food while dodging child protective services and the destructive scenarios of the Brooklyn projects. They are faced with more trouble than any child can be expected to bear, and the fragile but resourceful Mister nevertheless finds strength in an idea from a movie, that he can be an unstoppable force against seemingly unmovable obstacles if he believes in the success...

There are plenty of sad and disturbing moments in this movie, but all of them managed to become inspirational and uplifting, because the director offered a glimpse of hope in the continuously degrading American society, especially for the poor. The brotherhood of Mister and Pete was something to make note, as well as the answers on the entire question of morality when people are forced to making ends meet. The film exposes the lack of real role models for the children in the society where the only value is the almighty dollar, and the authority figures were presented as menacing instead of helpful at times.

If you are ready for a dark movie with its moments of humour and lots of charm, while enjoying the innocence and cuteness adjusting to difficult moments of life, please, check this one!
March 13, 2014
Incredible film! Skylan Brooks and Ethan Dizon are great actors, watch their stars rise in the coming years.
March 10, 2014
Or the One Where I Seem To Be In The Minority...

I might be the only person who didn't find this as moving as everyone else. It's not bad, by any means, it's pretty good, but we've seen so many better films about inner city life, that I just found this to be too plain. It gets caught up in its own sentimentality too much for its own good, and I felt like I was trying to be forced to feel something I didn't feel.

There are some very good performances here, especially of child actor Skylan Brooks, and whoever played the bully with the fro. Unfortunately there isn't enough behind the typical stereotypes of inner city life to make this interesting enough to keep me going. I always enjoy seeing Anthony Mackie, and he doesn't disappoint at all. He gives a great performance as the pimp with a heart of gold.

The only performance I wasn't really in favor of was Jennifer Hudson, who's trying too hard to be something she's not. She wasn't nearly believable as a mom trying to make it in the inner city. She just seemed like an addict with nothing better to do. But maybe that's not on her, maybe that's on the script.

I appreciate what the filmmakers are trying to have happen here, and I see why so many people enjoyed this film, probably more than I did. I just found things to be weight too heavily on sentimentality for its own good. I didn't really feel too much for these kids, even when terrible things were happening. If you haven't seen American Violet, that's a great movie about inner city life and the toll it takes on families.
May 10, 2015
good overall,but very sad and unenjoyable.keeps your attention firmly by being heartfelt caring for the boys and their wellbeing.
April 25, 2015
Loved it. You will too.
July 7, 2014
Really good, nice little drama with an outstanding performance by Skylan Brooks.
½ January 22, 2015
Mister is a boy in his early teens with problems at school and bigger problems at home. He's failed the school year and someone has written something rude about his mum in the boy's toilet which won't rub off. At home his mother Gloria is too strung out to keep enough food in the house and his annoying younger neighbour Pete is playing on his Playstation. Mister and Pete's summer goes from rough to very bloody rough when Gloria is arrested during a raid on their tower block. Their summer holiday now consists of trying to scrape together enough food to survive and avoiding the police who will deliver them to child protection services and the dreaded Riverview boy's home if they catch them.

There are some very good performances to admire, not least from Skylan Brooks as Mister who shows an impressive range on his debut, alternating between angry resentment, vulnerability and desperation. The film works best in the scenes between Mister and Pete, finding glimmers of happiness amongst the grim realities of surviving the poverty and various villains that inhabit their world. At times the grimness of their situation and the range of baddies they have to contend with seem a bit heavy-handed, but the touches of wit and humanity balance it out and stop it from being dragged under by its own weight.

There are a few mis-steps, but on the whole this is a success. Full of nicely observed details and performances - well worth a watch.

Full review at ponderflix on wordpress.
December 20, 2013
The Inevitable Defeat indeed...
November 4, 2014
Brilliant movie. Brilliant performances by the two kid actors. If you want to see a truly special movie watch this amazing work of art.
November 1, 2014
Having worked in the inner city for more than two decades this story has an authentic flavor. One suffers for the disempowered child, his need for loving arms, for the personal attention every human being deserves and needs. The story is well acted, tense and reflects security problems faced by both children and adults of many inner city families, but not by all. The ray of hope shines at the end of this film when the child returns to school. An education is a possible door into a better more meaningful life, abundance, and a sense of self worth.
PantaOz
½ October 5, 2014

October 4, 2014
Raw and quirky but amazing.
½ September 27, 2014
How was this movie not a thing? Awesome.
September 25, 2014
Stories about children struggling to survive on the streets are quite common (the most famous example is Charles Dickens' OLIVER TWIST), but this film takes a refreshingly honest and often brutal approach to this oft-told subject. Mister (Skylan Brooks) is a 13-year-old Brooklyn kid with a serious attitude problem, and for good reason. As the film opens, we learn he has not only flunked eighth grade, but his mother is both a hooker and emotionally estranged. Worse still, he grows up on the mean streets of Brooklyn where authorities are not doing their job properly. Mister's only friend is Pete (Ethan Dizon), an Asian kid with similar family problems. Both become inseparable companions after the police nab the former's mother. Together they struggle to evade the authorities and do what they can to live on their own. The title of the movie, however, implies that the outcome will be just the opposite. Only not totally, but you'd have to see it to find out what I mean. In fact, I highly recommend giving THE INEVITABLE DEFEAT OF MISTER AND PETE a look; intense as this tale is, it is executed with a sincere heart and succeeds at being emotionally engaging without manipulating its viewers. Furthermore, the performances are fantastic -- the two young leads especially. Midway through the film Brooks' character reads a book about acting, and when he says "you don't pretend to be a character, you become it," that basically sums up how effective his turn as the emotionally strong Mister is. Dizon is a gentle counterpart to his tough-guy demeanor. The cinematography also captures the seedy, unpleasant streets of Brooklyn with grimy detail. Definitely worth checking out, but bring kleenexes with you. You'll need them.
August 3, 2014
I thought the acting from these two youngsters was stellar and the film didn't descend in to moralistic preaching and despair. Thought the pimp and his cohorts were a bit too polite but overall the movie is worth 4 stars I reckon.
July 21, 2014
A very struggling and emotional film. The strength to live is very inspirational and awesome :)
July 9, 2014
It is sad that this film does not have the exposure that it should. Must see, acting, writing, story line. All is on point.
½ July 3, 2014
great acting; real; believable; well done; must see
April 29, 2014
Thought the relationship between Pete and Mister was beautiful. Occasionally sweet, mostly heart-wrenching. Emotionally, you feel the anger, sadness, and frustration of a young kid continually beat down by the world.
½ April 26, 2014
'Nobody's gonna help us. They never have. They never will.'