The Invisible War Reviews

September 14, 2012
Well-made documentary, disturbing, repulsive, filthily corrupt subject matter. Good to see it could make a difference, and hopefully it will continue to do so.
January 18, 2014
sorry, a good movie but not a top movie
½ December 30, 2013
The most telling line in the whole picture was the senator who said "I have served for seven terms and I have sat and listened to this problem every term"!
½ August 4, 2013
Dick directs skillfully, but without much inspiration, and The Invisible War (though successfully eye-opening) does little to break from doc-filmmaking convention. As for the film's extra-cinematic influence, only time will tell whether there will be any significant reaction.
*2/4*
½ December 30, 2012
A story which had to be told.
December 7, 2013
People who give it less than 5 starts... is that a "good there's a documentary about it, but maybe?" - What's wrong with you.
December 4, 2013
An important documentary, one that doesn't need sentimentality to sell the truly somber truths it exposes.
Harlequin68
November 30, 2013
While perhaps prone to speculation, "The Invisible War" is still a chilling and heartbreaking documentary about the epidemic of sexual assault, committed against both men and women, in the military. This information, gathered from government sources, is alternated with the ads the military uses to attract young female recruits, like the Air Force one I watched yesterday at the multiplex. Ironically, the armed forces seem less interested in prosecution and therefore deterrence than in haphazard prevention protocols, thus making it easier for sexual predators to thrive, not unlike sexual abusers in the Catholic Church. Part of that has to do with the lackadaisical way that rape is prosecuted through the chain of command which Senator Gillibrand is fighting to change by moving it to judge advocates instead.

What "The Invisible War" does extremely well is putting a human face on these cases, a good deal of them legacy recruits, as these brave women and one man talk not only about the heinous crime itself but the aftermath, as they have twice the occurrence of PTSD than combat veterans and contemplate suicide. That's not to mention having to jump through the hurdles of the bureaucratic Veterans Administration.
November 29, 2013
interesante pelicula,sobre el abuso,que sufren las mujeres soldadas,de sus pares,soldados norteamericanos 7/10
October 2, 2012
One more thing the United States Armed Forces has to be ashamed of. Eye-opening documentary about the prevalence of rape in the military.
½ November 13, 2013
Every Indian should watch this....Have patience and watch this....It's happening in military in US and it's happening everywhere in India !!
Thumbs Up Kirby Dick !!
Must Watch Documentary !!
½ October 30, 2013
When I saw the DVD cover this movie, I expected a documentary on the war zones in Africa. I did not expect an engrossing documentary on the horrifying, unacknowledged ordeals of woman being tormented in the United States military or navy. Essentially, this documentary exemplifies the sexual abuse against soldiers, mainly females, in the US military. It is possible that the situation like this would occur as the U.S. military is dominated by male soldiers and has been embroiled in much controversy over the past 50 years, starting with the Vietnam War and continuing with the war in Iraq. It's not really surprising, but it is a clearly eye-opening documentary that once again exemplifies the many problems the United States experiences throughout its land. Quite a well-made piece of work and I do hope these poor ladies, along with the many the few men affect and many other victims get the justice and compensation that they oh so deserve. Spying and gun control are the least of their problems.
October 25, 2013
One of the most touching documentaries I've seen
October 22, 2013
Disturbing and maddening, Kirby Dick's "The Invisible War" is an unfortunate document on the rampant rape and sexual violations that occur within the U.S. military, and how a corrupt system allows such acts to go unpunished on a continuous basis. Dick keenly steps aside and allows the victims of these atrocities and their gut-wrenching testimonies to be the heart of the film... rendered in the simplest, most straightforward of fashions. Much to nearly all of the visual inventiveness and on-screen director input present in "This Film is Not Yet Rated" (a great film also by Dick) has been stripped away and the film is more unshakable because of it. This is indeed heavy, uncomfortable content, but a powerful account that should be considered mandatory viewing for every single man and woman considering a career in the U.S. armed forces. It's sure to change a mind or two.
September 29, 2013
I hurt for the women & men that have been abused by shameful cowards. Pray that they find peace and joy!
September 25, 2013
A provocative and touching film about an unknown truth: raped woman in the military.
September 15, 2013
Heartbreaking documentary- I cried more than once. This documentary investigates the epidemic of rape within the US military, and how NOTHING is being done! This is amazing to me. The sheer number of women (and some men) who have reported sexual assault and then the number of soldiers who get away with it, makes me angry. A very disturbing documentary, but extremely well done and a definite must watch. If you want to be informed, watch this film.
September 11, 2013
Like Paradise Lost, a perfect example of the power of documentary film to shine light on atrocity. This needs to be seen by every american, and especially anyone considering joining the military.
½ August 25, 2013