The Kings of Summer Reviews

April 24, 2014
With charming acting (especially by Moises Arias), Kings of Summer is a very capable coming-of-age film.
½ March 9, 2015
Three kinds wants independence from their parents go to woods and live over their make a house. However the scenario changes from friendship to enmity within 2 friends with entry of a girl in their lives. The story is ageold story but the treatment is good which make you sit through the movie.
March 3, 2015
Greatly disappointed by this film.

Being a teenager isn't easy and sometimes you want to runaway and do your own thing. I totally get that, and these kids actually do that and build a house (In what seemed like a couple of days) and decide to live in it to get away from their parents. Patrick's parents are a little over bearing and embarrassing. Biaggio's we don't know, and Joe is a whiny, self-absorbed, selfish prick. Which he gets from his father. Growing up there wouldn't be the easiest, but having a dead mother doesn't mean you can be a prick to everyone and throw tantrums whenever something doesn't go your way. This character almost completely ruined the movie for me.
March 2, 2015
A sweet, very funny coming of age story, along the lines of Stand By Me, although way more lighthearted and comical and less likely to break your fucking heart in two than Rob Reiner's 80's classic. The story of three lads who decide to build and move into their own house in the woods in order to escape their humdrum lives. It's an extremely likable, lovely movie, with a delicate touch and three fantastic performance's from it's hugely talented young leads, Nick Robinson is a real find as our main protagonist Joe, who comes up with the idea for the woodland retreat, Gabriel Basso ( who played cowardly weiner Martin in Super 8) is a strong presence, truly impressing as best bud Patrick, but the film is totally stolen by the utterly brilliant Moises Arias as the gloriously bizarre Biaggio, this dude is a whirlwind of strange, off kilter, unpredictable hilarity in any scene he graces, he's magnificent. That's not to say it's only the leads film, there are a who's who of talented comedy actors filling the movie with class and quality including Community's Alison Brie and the wonderfully dead pan Nick Offerman. This is one of those criminally under-served movies that doesnt quite make it's way to peoples attentions meanwhile mainstream garbage gets all the bucks, so seek out this great little film.
½ February 23, 2015
Three kids, feeling their way through the anxieties of their mid-teens, get together to build a summer retreat in the woods and escape from a droll season in their parents' homes. It's hearty and funny, a great reminder of the unseen handcuff between independence and responsibility that floats into our lives at that age. The grown-ups are particularly hilarious as stiff, out-of-touch caricatures; everything we see them as during adolescence, rolled up and amplified by a few degrees. Moises Arias is the best of the young actors, playing a weird McLovin type who somehow falls into the partnership with two long-term buddies. His heavy gaze alone is usually enough to get me chuckling, and the cryptic, emotionally-detached lines that usually sprout from his lips moments later are absurdity at its best. It can get a little self-absorbed at times, and spirals off into navel-gazing in the third act, but for a good stretch in the middle it's prime coming-of-age goodness.
January 26, 2015
Oh so close. This is an intersting movie in the same vein as "Stand By Me" , but just falls short of that standard. There are a lot of fine qualities here, but the story has too many holes. It's still better than most that attempt this type of film.
½ January 24, 2015
It was peculiar, unusual but it gave me a weird feeling at the end which I'm surprised I liked.
½ January 21, 2015
Good movie and captures youth angst well but it doesn't compare to The Way Way back or Mud. I just didn't feel as compelled with the story as I did in those movies. Pretty funny throughout, and Biaggio was crucial this films quality for me. In a good way
July 14, 2014
Cinematography & Editing - 8.5
Soundtrack/Score & Set Design - 8.5
How much I enjoyed it personally - 6.5
January 13, 2015
I wish The Kings of Summer had been around when I was in high school--not because I had a bad relationship with my parents, but because it would have been awesome to be inspired to build a house in the woods. I really like this movie. The acting is impressive, the characters are fun to watch grow, and it's really funny. The humor is very unique and a bit surrealist, which is right down my alley.

When it comes down to it, this is a very simple film. It succeeds at inspiring and entertaining all at once--an objective that is usually just aspired to, compromised by one of the two elements. Although their time in the woods isn't terribly eventful, the character development and dialogue is fun to experience.

The pacing is a little irregular, but director Jordan Vogt-Roberts uses it as an advantage. Usually I'm not a huge fan of uneven tone, but in this situation it brings so much charm to the film. However, I do wish that there was a better sense of location. The whole time I wondered where this takes place--I must have blinked once.

The movie does a good job of keeping you on the edge of your seat while using it's uneven tone to its advantage--keeping you thinking that anything can happen next.

There's not a lot about The Kings of Summer that I don't like, except for the fact that it ended too soon.

Twizard Rating: 95
January 13, 2015
I just can't decide how I felt about this film, I constantly had a nagging feeling that they wanted to have their cake and eat it as well. As a result it doesn't quite ever feel heartfelt enough to be charming and the humour feels way too forced and dare I say it...bloody kooky.
August 16, 2013
Wonderful coming of age summer film.
½ December 20, 2014
Best summer movie ever for men
½ December 19, 2014
The kind of refreshing and funny indie dramedy tailor-made to charm everyone at Sundance, with its share of indie clichés and a director who seems very eager to show that he can direct, and it is worth seeing especially because of Nick Offerman and Moises Arias, both hilarious.
December 10, 2014
There's nothing new about The Kings of Summer. The story, about kids running off from their parents and go live in the wilderness, is not new and has been done before, apart from our childhood fantasies. However, The Kings of Summer has panache galore, which makes it as interesting to watch as it is to nitpick
First of all, the performances are a definite mixed bag. The Adults (Nick Offerman, Megan Mullaly and Marc Evan Jackson) are hilarious in this film. Offerman pulls off, as well, some intense drama which is extremely surprising. The kids are not as good, and that is a problem considering they are the main focus of the film. Nick Robinson is a handsome boy, but his acting is not nearly as interesting as his body. Gabriel Basso is solid and more believable as Patrick, Joe's Best Friend. They both are sort of after the same girl, Kelly, played by Erin Moriarty, also very pretty but not very good. Last but not least, doofus Biaggio played by Moses Arias in a fearless, facetious role that is unforgettable (From the three kids, by far the most amusing).
The way the story goes is pretty simple. However, it is the way it is told that gets to you. Saying that director Jordan Vogt-Roberts is visually ambitious is underestimating the amount of beauty and gimmicky distinctive style the film has. It is edited in a way to make the fashion more preculiar, all along with a playful soundtrack that mixes 80's video-game-like music with hardcore rap.
In the end, The Kings of Summer is more visually stunning than emotionally resonant. It has moments, however, and those small moments make the film a solid coming-of-age tale.
½ May 27, 2013
Terrific performances and genuine moments, the film never reaches its full potential or explores the characters enough to be satisfied, but it was sweet and well made from start to finish. I was left with questions about Blaggio that remained untouched. The parents were incredible and the romantic twist was very real and pushed the piece forward.
December 5, 2013
It tried to be that nostalgic growing up movie that I miss watching but didn't quite get there.
½ November 26, 2014
Love all the scenes with the 3 boys and their journey but the movie was ruined with the issues with the girl (Kelly). Biaggio was so weird and hilarious at the beginning but turned out to be a good character.
March 4, 2013
Everyone thinks their parents are crazy, but in the case of Joe, Patrick, & Biaggio, their parents really are nuts. Looking to escape the insanity of their every day lives, the boys decide one summer to build a cabin in the woods, where they can live off the land like men. Nick Robinson stars as Joe, and gives a performance that is out of this world. In a film that stars three kids in the woods, it would be very easy for things to turn stupid very quickly, but as the leader of the pack, Joe not only keeps the group together, but keeps the story together. No matter what this young man does over the course of his career, he will have a hard time duplicating what was easily a career defining performance. Robinson is paired with Disney star Moises Arias, who until now I thought was just this weird little guy they used to guest in their shows. Arias plays Biaggio, easily one of the funniest characters I've seen in a very long time, some of the things that come out of his mouth are just fall on the floor funny. As the kids enjoy their time in the woods, their parents really start to show their crazy, as they go on a hunt for the lost boys. The characters were all unique in their own way, but Joe's father, played by Nick Offerman, was far and away the best, leading the parents the same way, his son lead the boys. From gigantic wontons to turtles on kites, The Kings of Summer is an extremely enjoyable film and the rare instance of a film that I wish was longer. I truly loved every second of this smart coming of age comedy, for it's uniqueness and young exciting cast. Blending dramatic and comedic elements, The Kings of Summer is that perfect mix that takes you from laughter to tears and back again. For that, this film is an easy choice for one of our must see movies!
½ November 20, 2014
A good movie (although somewhat unbelievable, seriously how did they build that house?). Nice to see Nick & Moises in a different sort of role. Would possibly watch again?