The Kirishima Thing (Kirishima, Bukatsu Yamerutteyo) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Kirishima Thing (Kirishima, Bukatsu Yamerutteyo) Reviews

December 13, 2013
It's a bit squirelly, but that's perhaps apropos for a movie about intersections of subcultures in school. The movie's not great, but it has its moments. And some honest and awkward interactions.
½ August 27, 2014
A nice and quiet movie. While I probably didn't get the whole picture(The movie was about high school life, something that I never experienced in Japan :P ), I still enjoyed it. Nicely shot too.
July 5, 2014
The repeatedly back & forth narrative, just makes this actually dull coming-of-age storyline even much more annoying.
July 3, 2014
The Kirishima Thing [Japan, 2012] I always like it when a movie plays around perspectives... I want two more hours of this. 8/10
February 9, 2014
An ingenious mystery film featuring Japanese high school students from different clubs whose lives were affected by the missing title character.
December 13, 2013
½ September 16, 2013
I believe the primary purpose of this movie is to, demonstrate how relationships and conflicts are so diverse across individuals, that their perception on a similar matter can never be the same. For that, high marks are awarded.

Kirishima is supposed to be the popular student but never present in the movie physically speaking. His unintentional absence instead is to provide a pivot...and eventually proved to the audience that one's absence could trigger unwanted effects on the togetherness/friendship/reliance on another individual. And the effects can be compounded. The movie repeatedly play the same scenes several times, but at different camera angles and different 'main characters' to illustrate the aforementioned views.

The final scene was a letdown to me as the gathering on the rooftop it was rather unrealistic. but overall, not many movies are able to illustrate well the effect when the plot only happened in such a short span of time.
September 13, 2013
It's a good example of characterization in film. As long as the characters are crafted nicely, put them in any situation, the film will be as interesting as any award winning film (I said interesting, not as good as!).
This film is directed by Daihachi Yoshida, with simple or almost without a clear story line. The motive is to show high school students' self-searching process. Yoshida just put in a situation, a famous student disappear. Then the interesting characters will just lead the way as it effects every society in the school.
Suzuka Ohgo, as Aya Sawashima, is worth notice. She do not have much lines but her expressions is just as full as a full cream milk...
April 5, 2013
The Kirishima Thing is amazing. At first you only get a fragment of the story and then through different perspectives on the same story on the same day, you start to understand what it is all about. Then the story continues so that you know how everyone is being affected by a single person who decided to drop out of the volleyball club. A very spot-on and truthful depiction on each personalities.