The Last Days On Mars - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

November 19, 2013
three stars
MANUGINO
November 7, 2013
The search for life is about to end.

Good movie! This movie had a shot at being quite good, only made it to pretty good. Performances were good, but the story went from scientific to space horror a tad too quickly. It's a decent watch and only killed about 98 minutes, so you won't find it to be a total waste of time. If you watch it with the thoughts of real early science fiction, you can see how it fit into the genre. Take the time, enjoy the ride and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, but not overwhelmed.

A group of astronaut explorers succumb one by one to a mysterious and terrifying force while collecting specimens on Mars.
PantaOz
March 31, 2014
This Irish, British and US co-production presented as science fiction thriller was directed by Ruairķ Robinson with a screenplay by Clive Dawson, based on the short story "The Animators" by Sydney J. Bounds. Filming mainly took place in Jordan. Its small cast stars Liev Schreiber, Elias Koteas, Romola Garai, Goran Kostic, Johnny Harris, Tom Cullen, Yusra Warsama and Olivia Williams. There were no outstanding performances but all of them where pretty solid!

The story of a research crew of eight inhabiting the Tantalus Base outpost on Mars was interesting but not developed in details. We witnessed the events in the last 19 hours of the six month mission which was to finish with a rendezvous with the lander Aurora, which will return them to their main orbiting craft. Nothing special was happening until the scientist Marko Petrovic (Goran Kosti?) found some samples that may point to life on the planet. Crewmate Richard Harrington (Tom Cullen) drives Petrovic, in a solar powered rover, to the spot where he had found the sample... and the tragedy strikes!

The movie was engaging enough to create continuity of the story without creating a major drama! There are moments at the start of Ruairi Robinson's feature-length directorial debut that seemed promising... especially a spectacular footage of dust storms and an eerie strings-heavy soundtrack that creates an effective atmosphere of doom. "The Last Days on Mars" was never going to be "Gravity," but it looked like it could aspire to be something closer to the highly enjoyable found footage film "Europa Report." However, the final result was a zombie type action movie which change the whole atmosphere!
½ December 4, 2013
Probably the weakest film I have seen Liev Schreiber in to date. Weirdly enough, he is asked to carry the load of the film as the star actor, but what is written for him resembles more of a tragic and murky wuss. There's nothing in the plot that makes you feel for any of the characters, but what could have been a very cool concept of a zombie-like bacteria in space killing off members of the crew turns into an unexplainable lifeless horror romp. And it's not scary. The production value is easily comparable to something you'd see in a TV movie, but that's not to say they didn't at least try with some of the vehicles and space station setups. The whole time I was thinking of other science fiction space exploration movies that were just handfuls better than this.
Francisco G.
March 6, 2014
Yeah, this wasn't very good was it? But by reading the reviews I was expecting the second coming of the antichrist and the movie isn't as bad as people made it sound like. It looks pretty good, albeit not terribly original and has some nice claustrophobic moments but the rest is crap. I could barely understand the motivations of these characters, which were all over the place, the idea is bad, the bacteria idea is not well realized and doesn't make any bloody sense and obviously ripped 3 or 4 scenes from Alien. Not worth your time.
½ October 25, 2014
Unimaginative sci-fi about astronauts finding life on Mars in the form of a bacterium that makes humans become zombies. The acting is fair, but what they have to work with is drek. There was little thought put into this, and therefore nothing is here to make you care about what happens to these characters.
May 9, 2014
Basically, it's "Zombies on Mars!" Why all these space movies have to be basically "monsters in space," "haunted house in space," etc. is truly perplexing. I guess screenwriters just have no imagination!

So, it's lots of talent wasted for no reason. Too bad.
½ May 2, 2014
A zombie movie set on Mars? Where do I sign up? Actually, once it turned into a monster movie, it was rather disappointing but you could tell from the start it was no "Moon" either. Oh, well...
April 25, 2014
Wah wah wah! Another boring space movie with some kind of famous people in the cast. Reminded me of Apollo 18 minus the "found footage" approach. I wanted the space mystery to be something new and exciting, but it just wasn't. I'm surprised that Magnet picked this one up.
½ November 23, 2015
normal space movie, and then Zombies! It's alright, but nothing special
½ November 22, 2015
"The Last Days on Mars" is a gritty sic-fi horror film with a touch of zombie thrown in for good measure.
November 13, 2015
Zombies in Space. Dumb.
September 14, 2015
Started off showing much more potential than the last two Mars movies I saw... but then quickly degraded into an improbably 'zombies on Mars' movie... where they zombies are controlled by a seemingly sentient bacteria that makes the host go psychotic, not to feed, but perhaps to spread... In any case, they are smart, use tools and even explosives, and can strategize. Plain ridiculous. Some decent acting though, until of course people become zombies. And some really improbably reactions. And one thing I always notice and never like is when an actor reacts according to what was clearly scripted and written, rather than what is clearly being seen and experienced. Nobody faced with a person that was dead for hours with a breached space suit on Mars with no source of oxygen all that time, and whose face is now blackened, decayed flesh is going to say things like, "Hey, we're gonna to get you some help." But obviously that's what the script asked for. Why wouldn't a director intervene?
August 27, 2015
I don't think it was such a bad movie, despite all the other reviews, its just the start that really bothers me.
July 20, 2015
Movies don't need to be as "thought inspiring" as critics want them to be. This was a good movie, science (removing the obvious zombie parts) is good and the plot is relatable, I hate critics.
March 9, 2014
Watchable but nothing special
June 8, 2015
Even with it's promising premise, intermittent thrills and decently picked cast, Last days on Mars takes it's trashy premise far too seriously and is not that smart to be though provoking, leaving me stuck in such a vapid land just like Mars.
May 7, 2015
Not nearly as bad as I was expecting it managed to create a few cool/creepy scenes using an idea they stole from Doctor Who but taken in a more serious direction. It's worst failing is its utter predictability. Well before they're put in any danger you can identify who's dead and who might survive and even guess what order they'll go in.
March 17, 2015
With the talent involved a disappointment.