• PG-13, 1 hr. 44 min.

The Last Ride Reviews

bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

July 11, 2013
Not exactly how I envisioned Hank to be but I certainly did not know him. This movie needed Hank Williams music in it to make it complete - and you know he crashed many of bars and took over the stage, he loved to show off, he loved the limelight, he had to be seen and recognised, it it would have been great to have heard Hank tell his story to the young driver, to see flashbacks that lead up to where they were at that point - because to be honest parts of this movie were kind of flat, a little back story would have been a real attention grabber... where was that in this movie? I would give it an 4 1/2- only because I think Hank have more charm & character than they had the actor express. I know this was just his 'last ride' but Hank had a real temper he also was smooth as silk with the ladies and he was one rowdy guy always looking for a fight - I just think maybe they could have let Jessie James add a lil more oomph into this character... this is definitely worth the watch. Kaley Cuoco was awesome in the movie, even though she had a small part. 4 1/2 stars 7-1013
Hamee
September 2, 2013
This was a long drawn out road trip story with a bittersweet ending that was perfect. Thomas and James were great in their roles, but it is a sad story.
August 1, 2013
Henry Thomas who you might better remember as Elliot from E.T. and Samuel from Legends of the Fall delivers an outstanding performance as Hank Williams. Perfect casting for that part. The low-budget of this film was very evident unfortunately, as the driving scenes looked similar to Saturday Night Live's Taxicab Confessions skit from the mid 90s,and the sound mixing is cringe-worthy with how bad it is, as was the music. Not enough money to pay for the Hank Williams songs, instead there are covers of those songs. This film is not a showcase of historical accuracy that's for sure, but it is a showcase of acting and Henry Thomas did an outstanding job. He made me believe that he was Hank Williams without ever singing, and the duo of he and actor Jesse James (Not West Coast Choppers) played off each other very well, and very naturally, and made for a very enjoyable, relaxed, and interesting movie drama. The little side story with Kaley Cuoco from 'Big Bang Theory' fame was completely unecessary however, and did nothing to help the film. In fact, quite the opposite. I wonder how much of the budget went to paying her?
October 14, 2013
I am a fan of HankWilliams. I love his songs. This movie was interesting but lacked the basics. No songs sung by Hank himself not even on the radio as they drive, he shares nothing of his personal life except that his mother ran a Bordello and no one recognizes him except the Bar owner in the ed. Surely the judge saw his real name on the car papers??? Could someone please make a good biographic picure on Hank that features the actor doing his songs?
bill s.
September 22, 2013
I'm a fan of roadtrip movies and this ones ok....Thomas does a solid job in this somewhat cumbersome scripted #true story.
DC Edmonds
September 12, 2013
"The Last Ride" 10 Scale Rating: 5.0 (Mediocre) ...

The Good: Henry Thomas carries the film and makes it remotely interesting with his portrayal of Hank Williams.

The Bad: Extremely slow and drawn out. Hank Williams was an interesting guy, but the final car ride of his life alone isn't interesting enough for a film.
Shartnado2 - the Wet One
July 27, 2013
E.T. would have been a more believable Hank Williams than Henry Thomas. I really wanted to get in to this movie, but it was a dumbed down version that felt like a Lifetime movie. It felt more like a high school play , it did not do Hank Williams justice. Or anyone that wanted to learn about him.
July 11, 2013
'You look like you have never been honky tonkin' before.'
July 9, 2013
The Last Ride is a unique dramatic film based on the last three days of the life of country music legend: Hank Williams.
July 5, 2013
This was a really good film. The story was a moving & insightful look into music?s best performaner. The performances from the cast were soild & everyone was very convincing in their roles. See This Film.
June 29, 2013
Great movie! Well worth my time. I don't care for the critics reviews, after all they're reviews don't often represent the views of the average movie goer. Love the historical side and the glimpse of Hank Sr.'s final days. This one wasn't meant to be Oscar worthy, but it was definitely worth it.
June 19, 2013
Excellent! Thoroughly enjoyed it. Portraying the last couple of concerts of Hank Williams Sr!
August 22, 2012
If your eyes are dry after watching this. You are not human
October 21, 2011
Great film! Performances by Henry Thomas and Jesse James are incredible. This is not a bio pic, but is film about the last few days (hence the name, The Last Ride) of Hank Williams and the relationship he has with his driver. It gives us a glimpse of the man who became a legend. The music is also fantastic. If nothing else, you'll love the soundtrack.
July 24, 2012
I adored this film! I didn't know much about Hank Williams, but this enjoyable 'ride' takes you through his last days...with really good music.
July 23, 2012
I loved seeing how Henry Thomas has grown from a child actor into a really talented adult actor. His portrayal of Hank Williams was great. I loved his easy going reactions to life and it was so interesting to see that Hank WIlliams was human just like the rest of us. I also liked that it didn't concentrate on the music but the person. Its a great movie that everyone should go see.
July 22, 2012
This is not a film with loud bangs or crude language, just an exciting, moving film that tells a story that you can follow. It was a joy to see and thankful that my friends made me go with them.
July 21, 2012
This is an old school story about a legend, it had to be told. And to be helmed by Thomason, a true southern talent, adds that classic touch taking you on a ride back to the 50's when West Virginia and the south was the place to be...
July 21, 2012
Intimately experience the last hours in the life of country music icon, Hank Williams. Henry Thomas as Mr. Williams is as compelling now as he was 20 years ago when he indelibly imprinted the character of Elliot in Spielberg's classic E.T. on our collective memories. Jesse James, who blindly agrees to drive the singer, is unforgettable. Add a supporting cast that includes Ray McKinnon, Kaley Cuoco and Stephen Tobolowsky, and you've got a ride that is most definitely worth taking.