The Last Will And Testament Of Rosalind Leigh Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
July 30, 2013
This film is a surprise in terms of originality and sheer chills. The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh is an accomplished horror film that will surely appeal to genre fans that are looking for something quite different in terms of horror. This is an effective film that doesn't rely on cheap scares to build its terror. Rather it relies on atmosphere, a brooding sense of melancholic darkness, which adds a certain element of the supernatural to the film, which makes this a refreshing ghost tale. The acting here is quite good and the plot is interesting and original. Films like this are needed in the genre because they rely on atmosphere and effective storytelling to let the terror unfold. Is this, a bone chilling horror film that will keep you awake, no. This is just a well crafted ghost tale with a few good chills here and there, but the real horror lies in its plot, where a man, is left alone, and being alone is what is really terrifying. The film is quite good, but leaves room for improvement as well. This is nonetheless a worthy viewing and is a far better film than most recent horror tales that have been released. Ghost stories are often hard to film, but if you have an original concept, which is the case of this film, then you have something unique. The plot kept me involved in the film, and I felt it was one of the select few horror films that really stood out due to the fact that it used atmosphere to create terror, while most horror films of today use cheap gimmicks to try and create tension. This is a well crafted and directed debut and it is sure to find a bigger audience and become a standout cult classic.
½ August 17, 2013
A solidly creepy supernatural film, The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh manages to take the haunted house genre in relatively original directions that continue to amp up the chills throughout the movie.
February 22, 2013
Well done, creepy, quiet, personal horror flick. It takes a mostly non-conventional narrative approach, which works really well. While the set may feel overly decorated at first, it fits within the story and with some of the story-telling techniques. Limited special effects are mostly kept to the shadows, where they work well. In only one scene did I find the otherwise restrained CGI going overboard. But, that is easy to overlook. All in all, a different, thoughtful horror film that takes chances and succeeds. Worth a look.
May 7, 2015
3 stars, only for the fact it seems the movie ran out of budget, and the last 30-20min came to a sudden close in sequence of events, which really leaves us with a confused and empty feeling after it is over. However, if you go back to watch it again, and appreciate that development, and originality... You might feel like I do, and wish this movie was redone, and extended to end properly as well as the movie was developing. I would love to see that from this movie, and if the ending was as good as the rest of the movie, I would easily give this movie a 5/5 without any question or moment to spend thinking about it.
October 16, 2014
You will be "metaphorically" scared. The director just has two camera settings: pan and cut. First half of the movie was so dragging I struggled to stay awake. It was only the later half that was interesting. But even then, the ending fell flat and you'll be left asking "That's it? That's what it meant?"

It's good for a laugh though. Metaphorically speaking.
½ October 7, 2014
"Rosalind Leigh" is a good horror movie, enough disturbing and with a touching ending. But it's maybe a little too simple to justify a 1 hour 22 minutes film. Hopefully the direction is very good, with an incredible set and a strong performance from Aaron Poole.
½ October 7, 2014
Very very sad little thought.
½ June 16, 2014
Unfortunately, although the setting was creepy and the acting decent, the film itself fell flat in every other respect. In a horror pic, I do prefer mood over action, slow boiled tension over cheap scares, but here there was absolutely no tension whatsoever. There was nothing really at stake. I also enjoy carefully planned ambiguity, and seeing that word along with 'conceptual' in so many reviews below, I was hopeful. But the concept is poorly thrown together, very loose and without lasting impact, and there is no real ambiguity present. Questions, yes, but not ambiguity (there's a big difference between the two). In general, it felt like dime store philosophy trying to pass itself off as 'deep'. Trust me, there's no actual depth here.

The skeleton of the plot sounds intriguing: a nonbeliever, who was brought up in a torturously religious household, returns to his dead mother's icon-cluttered home. It's supposed to be about loneliness, about regret, about the distance between family members, and about whether faith is a waste of time or is grounded in the real. Instead, we get some vague clamor about a cult, some CGI creature that looks like a cross between a werewolf and Golem, and a sullen man pacing a big house making stupid decisions at every turn.

If you like your paranormal drama (it's not a horror film) to pretend to be about something without actually succeeding, then you might enjoy this film more than I did. At least it's not a gore or jump-scare based movie. But without the gore and scares (and tension and plot and honest character development), I'm not sure what would be left to find satisfying.
½ May 10, 2014
nothing happens in the movie.
February 7, 2014
89%

The staircase spirals down, not up.
January 30, 2014
One line summary: Fine production values, but cheap jack script; massively bad ending.

--------------------------

Leon returns to the house he grew up in after his mother dies. They had been apart for many years.

Leon spent lots of time in the past with his mental health professional, who has helpful suggestions about his 'bump in the night' experiences at the house. The house is opulent and chocked full of reminders of Leon's childhood. There are audio and video tapes from a mystery cult, including one about communications with the dead. Eventually, Leon finds a room full of religious statues, candles, stained glass and the like.

The cult is "God's Messengers" which Leon researches on the web. He consults his security company by phone, then online, when he seems to have an animal intruder. They see something in the surveillance data, but cannot make out what it is. Then he loses online connection.

Leon seems to see a lot of things after that, but does he?

---------------------------

Cinematography: 10/10 Amazingly beautifully done, in low light or high.

Sound: 10/10 Well done, sometimes quite atmospheric.

Acting: 5/10 Veteran actor Aaron Poole gave a fine performance. Film legend Vanessa Redgrave was OK as a voice actor. However, the script was so bad that the performances mattered not.

Screenplay: 0/10 Five minutes of a bad plot stretched beyond breaking over eighty minutes. I certainly hope the director is not funded again unless he has strong oversight.
December 30, 2013
Pretty scary up until the end.
December 20, 2013
This is a film for thinkers...no teenage bimbos chased by chainsawn killers-just the beautiful and emotional pleas of Vanessa Redgrave, gorgeous scenes and the slow burn of unknown fears-this movie is up there with Rosemarys Baby, and the Others. I really need to watch it again.
½ December 12, 2013
Thursday, December 12, 2013

(2012) The Last Will And Testament Of Rosalind Leigh
HORROR

Written and directed by Rodrigo Gudiņo starring Aaron Poole as Leon Leigh who's just walk into a house belonged to his own mother Rosalind Leigh, except that it may be haunted or consist of other super natural presences. Like "Moon", there's only a one character performance throughout the entire film and that is Leon Leigh. He stumbles onto more revelations, such as origins of the house where he grew up in as well as the religion called "God's Messenger's" his mother tried to force on him when he was only a child. The ending leaves viewers hanging, but for the most part the scares is like any other person who looks through their window at night.

3 out of 4 stars
½ December 4, 2013
A movie with different souls that don't really come together.
Part thriller, part supernatural, part psychological drama, it builds tension without properly solve it, and instead delivers a payoff nobody actually cares for.
½ December 26, 2012
A movie with different souls that don't really come together.
November 14, 2013
A slow burn of a horror movie that just doesn't have the payoff at the end to justify 80 plus minutes of blahhhhh....it's a shame for I do admire the attempt.
November 2, 2013
The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh (Rodrigo Gudiņo, 2012)

One of the Facebook groups to which I subscribe is a fan club for Welsh author Wayne Simmons. Every once in a while one of the moderators will pop out one of those 'what are you listening to right now?" questions. A month or so ago, it was "what horror film are you most looking forward to seeing?" From those across the pond, the answer was close to unanimous (and close to instantaneous)-The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh. I'd heard of the film before, but the only thing that had stuck in my mind was that Vanessa Redgrave starred. Last week, it showed up on Netflix Instant, and I remembered that thread, so I fired it up and sat down to give it a go. They were right, every one of them; this movie lived up to the hype and then some. That said, while it treads the line between supernatural drama and horror-Gudiņo is certainly exploring the former in this film, though he throws in enough jumps to keep fans of the latter interested-it is that rare beast that, I think, will satisfy fans of both genres.

Plot: Rosalind Leigh (Vanessa Redgrave, whose last foray into big-screen horror was the infamous 1971 film The Devils) has died recently; we never actually see her, except in video footage, but she narrates the film. Its actual main character is Leon (The Conspiracy's Aaron Poole), her son, who has returned to the family pile in order to put Rosalind's affairs in order, get her things sold, etc. He knew, we discover early on, that she was involved in a weird new age cult; on his first night staying in the house, however, he discovers she was much more involved than he knew, and that the cult may be more dangerous than he suspected.

There are obvious echoes of a number of other movies here, ranging from any selection of Hammer classics you can name to the more recent Lovely Molly and Kill List, but Gudiņo, who also wrote, has his own vision and his own voice, and there is no question of The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh is its own film. As with many of the more recent horror films I have found myself loving, this is slow, introspective, much more on the atmosphere side of things than the jump side of things. If you were that guy (the only person in the room, or on the planet maybe, who actually liked, say, An American Haunting), then The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh is not the movie for you. If you like character-driven films that aim to disturb rather than scare, where the queasiness in your belly comes from what you see out of the corner of your eye rather than the buckets of fake blood the special effects guy used, this movie is going to be right up your alley. One of the best horror films so far this decade, as far as I'm concerned. ****
½ October 5, 2013
Last Will and Testament is a perfect example of strong ideas and solid techniques put together to create a beautiful though flawed gem of a horror film. Last Will and Testament did not have the strongest character(s?) or the most interesting plot but it was incredibly compelling in spite of that - and I cared for the principal character in lieu of his flaws. There were genuinely terrifying moments spread throughout that, for the first time in a long time, had me hanging my head in dread, attempting to avert my gaze but drawn intensely into the frame at the same time. I loved it! I'd watch it again, mostly because there will always be something new to pick up on. The film is heavy with abstract symbolism and metaphor - much more deeply layered than it appears at first viewing.
October 6, 2013
This "style over substance" ghost story carries some serious creepy scenes, but lacks of real pay off